Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
laptop
so your laptop has character, eh?
Old 28th August 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

The thing is, if you pay for a new decent character hardware today, you pay a lot of money. A lot more than what these samplers go for. And I get a sound that doesn't satisfy me. So, I can see myself buying some samplers soon. I think I might be trying to rationalize. But it's logical, isn't it?
Old 28th August 2017
Lives for gear

wrong thread then lol
Old 28th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
My bet is that EPS with its papery sonics will become a keeper......wouldn't mind one again myself.
My EPSm is definitely a keeper because of that 'papery' signature which is nice on its own but also adheres to effects very nicely. Also the punchyness is great.
Old 28th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Some thread cleaning done.

Race talk moved here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan...so-racist.html
wdf is this link for? what's the post for? so you can face some
insinuation you're 'trying to access someone else account'?

wdf..

might as well just delete the post then, Don, eh.
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear
Emu emax
emu sp1200
Akai s950 or900
Mpc 60
Ensoniq eps or 16plus
In that order I've owned almost every sampler
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Yamaha TX16W
Akai S1000

Both are super affordable and sound fantastic. The Yamaha is crunchier in general, but the Akai has a wonderful sound when overdriven slightly and detuned.
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
The thing is, if you pay for a new decent character hardware today, you pay a lot of money. A lot more than what these samplers go for. And I get a sound that doesn't satisfy me. So, I can see myself buying some samplers soon. I think I might be trying to rationalize. But it's logical, isn't it?
you said 'modern character hardware', not modern character 'sampler'. i'm guessing because no modern character samplers exist, hence the thread

..aside from the boutique offerings which are not full fledged samplers but rather niche sound treatment devices
Old 30th August 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
you said 'modern character hardware', not modern character 'sampler'. i'm guessing because no modern character samplers exist, hence the thread

..aside from the boutique offerings which are not full fledged samplers but rather niche sound treatment devices
Yes, I mean Cultrure Vulture, Analog Heat etc. Modern samplers have clean preamps and converters, so no character there.

edit: Of course, what the Culture Vulture does and the Akai S950 are different things.
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Akai s612
Coolest sampler by interface and looks.. but sounds weak and dull. I really wanted to love it but compared to something like Emax it's just sounds bad
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Head

Emax SE rack w/ an Emuser and SMAX software. You can easily transfer wav files to the Emax, then sample the output.

I prefer the Emax to the SP12/1200. It has an actual useable analog filter w/ resonance. Envelopes, lfo, sysex, etc. It also has variable sample rate from 10-48kHz. Not a fixed rate like the 12/1200.
Also, the price..... They can be had for a reasonable cost.

My favorite is the EMU Ultra series but for other reasons. But its the complete opposite of crunchy. It’s like a high end audio interface.
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix View Post
Emax SE rack w/ an Emuser and SMAX software. You can easily transfer wav files to the Emax, then sample the output.

I prefer the Emax to the SP12/1200. It has an actual useable analog filter w/ resonance. Envelopes, lfo, sysex, etc. It also has variable sample rate from 10-48kHz. Not a fixed rate like the 12/1200.
Also, the price..... They can be had for a reasonable cost.

My favorite is the EMU Ultra series but for other reasons. But its the complete opposite of crunchy. It’s like a high end audio interface.
Is stereo supported with SMAX? Im using EMXP with floppy emulator and was glad to notice it can convert stereo wav to separate L/R files and automatically map them too, now when I use only two outs I get stereo output (with voice stealing obviously but it's ok for loops). And what is even more remarkable, it works with EII too.

Absolutely love having "stereo" lofi character samplers with analog filters
Old 11th June 2019
I get some grit from my Akai S20. It’s not my favorite sampler by any means, but I only spent $50 on it, and I think I’m going to use it some more this summer.
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphones View Post
I get some grit from my Akai S20. It’s not my favorite sampler by any means, but I only spent $50 on it, and I think I’m going to use it some more this summer.
Im looking for 'cheap' 90's Akai sound, thanks for info
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludar View Post
Having owned a mid-market Akai sampler at that time (S2800) I say just buy a Volca Sample and enjoy.

I do have an S2800 on my eBay watch list though, 'cos its ease-of-looping was tops.

]
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Having owned a mid-market Akai sampler at that time (S2800) I say just buy a Volca Sample and enjoy.

I do have an S2800 on my eBay watch list though, 'cos its ease-of-looping was tops.

]
sadly Volca Sample doesn't sample

Other than that, cool product
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd go for the Akai S612 for the most grit—though it's not very flexible—or the s1000 for the all-around best sounding, flexible and characterful early Akai (both are good in terms of affordability).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Is stereo supported with SMAX? Im using EMXP with floppy emulator and was glad to notice it can convert stereo wav to separate L/R files and automatically map them too, now when I use only two outs I get stereo output (with voice stealing obviously but it's ok for loops). And what is even more remarkable, it works with EII too.

Absolutely love having "stereo" lofi character samplers with analog filters
No stereo samples in the Emax, but the SMAX/WaveMAX software will convert stereo samples to mono. Although I find it easier just to batch convert them ahead of time. I’ve used EMXP a bunch too and I prefer SMAX for its ease of use.

There possibly could be a way of doing stereo samples in the Emax, by using the layering option and panning one hard left and one hard right.... Hmmmm, gotta try that and see if it works. Usually I just use an lfo + pan mod for stereo FX.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Casio FZ samplers sound awesome on drums. A lot of the sound that people are getting from old samplers and such is done by overdriving the ADC a little bit. You can get a similar yet different flavor by overdriving a tape deck or finding some old hardware digital effects processor and overdrive the inputs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Po33 k.o.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search