The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Slim Phatty Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th July 2017
Here for the gear

Moog Slim Phatty

I'm about to buy a used Moog Slim Phatty . And I was wondering if any up buddy out there still has their Moog Slim Phatty and if they still love it and are there any major problems with it that I should know about?
I hope this is the right thread to post this on I don't want to break any rules with Gear Slutz?

View most liked answer
Old 16th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Kraft View Post
I'm about to buy a used Moog Slim Phatty . And I was wondering if any up buddy out there still has their Moog Slim Phatty and if they still love it and are there any major problems with it that I should know about?
I hope this is the right thread to post this on I don't want to break any rules with Gear Slutz?
Hi Echo Craft, welcome to GS.
I have a Slim Phatty and i like it, but don't use it so much. Sound wise is great, the oscillators sound nice, the filter is awesome and has the classic Moog character. The UI is a bit limited considering it has only four knobs to program it (plus the volume pot). Sometimes i don't want to use it for that exact reason...
Has some modulation options but are not very obvious, need to dig a bit to make use of them. Overall is a nice synth though.

One thing that i find irritating is the tuning... needs 15-20 minutes (on winter even more time) of warm up, before the oscillators get in tune. It is analog, but i have other analogues that are in tune right on. This is a known issue with Little Phatty too!
Oh well, hope that helps!

Cheers!
Old 16th July 2017
Here for the gear

Aziak,
Thank you for replying back.
Yes that info is very helpful.
Old 16th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Aziak,
Thank you for replying back.
Yes that info is very helpful.
You're welcome!

p.s. At moderators, please move this thread to Electronic Music section, thanks!
Old 16th July 2017
Gear Maniac
They are under appreciated for some reason. I purchased 8 of them to build a "Polymoog" I fell in love with the sound and bought up a bunch New Old Stock and a bunch of used one in the last two weeks.

I would recommend the Slim Phatty, I never understood why this module is disliked.

I you want the classic sounds like stuff you have heard on Tangerine Dreams, 80s music even more modern stuff people produce you cannot go wrong with the Slim Phatty. And you can stack them up using them live voice engines to build a polyphonic Moog. I thing the (Slim/Little) Phatty is the only route if you want a 21st century polymoog.
Old 19th July 2017
Gear Addict
I have one and use it all the time. Sounds great, more aggressive than my voyager and the overdrive and arpeggiator features are great. Simple mono synth but so was the prodigy. Tuning isn't an issue for me since I leave it on in my studio but they can be temperamental.
Old 20th July 2017
Here for the gear

Tape rocket
Thank you
Old 20th July 2017
Quote:
Moved to the right place.

PS: The section where you first posted is dedicated to new product releases only.

Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
They are under appreciated for some reason. I purchased 8 of them to build a "Polymoog" I fell in love with the sound and bought up a bunch New Old Stock and a bunch of used one in the last two weeks.

I would recommend the Slim Phatty, I never understood why this module is disliked.

I you want the classic sounds like stuff you have heard on Tangerine Dreams, 80s music even more modern stuff people produce you cannot go wrong with the Slim Phatty. And you can stack them up using them live voice engines to build a polyphonic Moog. I thing the (Slim/Little) Phatty is the only route if you want a 21st century polymoog.
I am SO envious of this. Sounds amazing. Do you have any videos or audio of this online? Thanks!
Old 20th July 2017
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Head
+1 on the replies. I have found since getting my model D that the 1 knob per panel annoys me a bit, but not as much as not having any values when tweaking knobs. I got used to the model D, set decay t 1s. that makes sense. On the phatty I have to guess around a bit, though there is master mode which tells you the value but it's just 1 step removed.
Either way, that's a small irk. I actually recreated a patch from the D (shine on french horn intro) in seconds on the Phatty once I knew where I was heading, though alone on the phatty I would've struggled for longer... not sure why this is. something about the D to just create new sounds (well, not new in this case).
the sound out of the phatties is great, the modulation is fairly decent though not in voyager territory, the overdrive and raw sound are outstanding in the modern Moog catalogue, it has an arpeggiator, and the value is immense. I think sometimes that Moog slashed it at the heels with the lack of dedicated knobs for fear of cannibalizing on the voyager. Imagine the phatty with an enclosure like the subsequent 37. imagine it with a 3rd oscillator and a noise source.
anyhow, I own a LPS2 and sometimes I think about getting a slim phatty just because they're so good. It would be more portable too. I tired new old stock but I was too late to the party (my own phatty was inventory clearance and cost as much as a slim!)

+1 on the videos, elsapo... how does the poliphony work?? wouldn't you just get many oscillators in unison and would've have to set them to relative intervals??
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

It'd be cool to see if anyone ever made a custom, little phatty styled "enclosure"/ controller that you could slide a slim phatty in and control 1:1.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

I still have my Slim Phatty. I love it. The sound is very cool -and I also own a Sub 37! Both are different to me. I don't know why - but I tend to grab the Slim for creamy mono synth duties.
Old 21st July 2017
its enough Moog that Ive never really wanted a more expensive Moog or a clone, remake, rip off, etc, repeat to fade
Old 11th June 2018
New Slim Phatty owner!

I just bought a Moog Slim Phatty, but haven't received it yet. The more I read about it, the more excited I am that I bought one. Mainly because that same week, as some of you know, I also bought a Studio Electronics SE-1, so I thought buying another monosynth was a bit frivolous and sonically redundant. But I always really liked the Slim Phatty's form-factor and front-panel design (the one-knob for cutoff/resonance thing aside), and of course, I'm elated to have two really good-looking analog synths that are rack-mountable (also, every slut should own at least one real Moog).

I found this YouTube video just now here, and was quite impressed. Unsure what out-board effects were used, but it sure sounds fantastic for a monosynth.

It's also neat that someone on tour reported here that they saw Rush use a Little Phatty (electrically identical to the Slim Phatty, I understand) on stage for the Tom Sawyer bass lead (don't know what they used in the studio).

I'm probably done buying bass-monosynths (at least for now), and am quite proud to own two of what I think are "modern classics." I was intrigued by the MatrixBrute, but after playing it at GC very briefly, I was left kind of "meh" (though I'm sure it's awesome once you're familiar with it).

So, I'm really looking forward to A/B'ing the SE-1 and Slim Phatty. As I mentioned in the other thread, I've been MIDI-slaving my SE-1 from my Roland V-Synth GT (using it as its controller), and find their timbers quite an interesting combo (some of the V-Synth's presets are very "light" and "barely there," which makes for a highly textured, but not overbearing, combined sonic character).
Old 13th June 2018
Just plugged it in!

As I mentioned in the "best value current monosynth for basic thick basslines" thread, I just got my Moog Slim Phatty and I f'ing love it! It easily gets really mean and edgy. The modulation brings out some really unique sounds (at, first I didn't know you had to have the mod-wheel "up" on your controller to hear any modulation). The filter/resonance relationship is really wide-ranging, more than any other synth I have. Almost didn't get this since I just bought the SE-1. What a mistake that would've been—this is the most fun I've had with synth in a while.

It's much more easily tweakable for a novice like me than my SE-1 and to me, it sounds a whole lot different (note: the SE-1 may in fact be more tweakable to the more experienced, but I haven't learned all of its secrets yet). I suppose it's just my ignorance of synthesis, but the SE-1 seems to have just one sound.

In contrast, the Slim has a bunch of sounds as evidenced by its far greater range of presets. As I said, the SE-1 was purchased as a kind of learning tool for synthesis.

Nevertheless, I much prefer this over my SE-1 for "fun factor." Again, the change in sound when sweeping both the cutoff and resonance is so different than with any other synth. It sweeps between two sweet spots (where the sound morphs and changes sonic character). Don't know why it behaves this way, but it produces a lot more harmonics than any other synth I have using just those two controls. Saying that the SE-1 and the SP have the "same" filters suddenly lost all meaning to me.

New photos soon . . .
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear
@studio460
I have to say that you've got one of the best synthesizers from the recent options on the market. The Little Phatty was my first Analog synth and I still love it and use it regularly, even after getting a Voyager. One thing not mentioned on a regular basis is that the Little/Slim sound better than the newer Phatties on traditional sounds (I also have a Sub Phatty).

My current plan is to get 3 Slim and make a Four voice polyphonic Phatty. The only problem is sacrificing 4 channels just for 1 polysynth.
Old 13th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
its enough Moog that Ive never really wanted a more expensive Moog or a clone, remake, rip off, etc, repeat to fade
I lied, I bought a boog...but...still keeping my SP
Old 14th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 View Post
I have to say that you've got one of the best synthesizers from the recent options on the market.
Thanks! I LOVE this thing! How could any one sell theirs for just a few hundred bucks? So many tworky, squorky sounds possible—things I would never be able to coax out of my Virus. Much different vibe than the SE-1. Really liking its interface, too—real easy to see knob-position. The multi-function knobs aren't an issue for me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 View Post
My current plan is to get 3 Slim and make a Four voice polyphonic Phatty. The only problem is sacrificing 4 channels just for 1 polysynth.
Nice!
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Little Phatty was my first analog synth and it's still here many years later. Had a Sub Phatty for a while but always preferred the tone of the Little/Slim. The only real downside to it is the warm-up time. Still my #1 bass synth.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

I got one for like $325.00 and I love it. Had it for about a year now. As already mentioned it takes a minute to become stable on the tuning but once there it is good to go for hours. I keep a tuner plugin on the channel and tune as needed when it's still warming up. It is pretty basic but the sound is definitely more organic, analogue, whatever you want to call it then my Sub37. One of the last synths to utilize analogue envelopes if I'm not mistaken. It takes on a crazy unique character when using Osc 2 as the mod source. I created my own midi device panel for it in Nuendo and it works great.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

What are differences soundwise between the Behringer D and the Slim Phatty?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCameron2018 View Post
What are differences soundwise between the Behringer D and the Slim Phatty?
The biggest differences are non-soundwise and are patch memory on one and all controls laid out on the other. The D has that extra oscillator and from what I can tell the stronger more vintage tone. I don't have the Slim right now to A/B.

The slim is "ancient" now and it would be interesting to see how it compares to the Behringer, the SE-02 and all these new monos. If you really want patch memory, I'd compare the Slim against the SE-02. And if you don't then I'd go to the Behringer D.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

But as far as bass goes the phatty and Behringer D are quite similar?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Could i get a modern tone out of the Behringer D similar to the phatty?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Check out Youtube videos. The Behringer is essentially the Minimoog (some will claim not quite as great sounding, but others will say 99.999% the same). So do you want a Phatty or the Minimoog?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

They do sound almost identical there's a slight springy vibe on the Moog difficult to describe. I think i'd need a more modern techno bass synth maybe the phatty would do that.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

The Phatty is a proper VCO synth.
Definitely a step above sound wise.
I just wish it had all the funtions of the mini.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Sure so it has a bit more of a modern sound to it compared to the Behringer D? I used to have a Pulse 2 so i'm looking to get something like that again for under 400.
Old 2 days ago
The Slim sounds great! Some features are found in the Advanced Preset menu, making it a bit less immediate. The controls that are on the panel are easy to use and the LEDs showing the current parameter values is very effective.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search