The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Model D Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Excellent news Uli
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Finally a word, so we know the project is not off. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
We are currently working on a forum that allows you to actively participate in the design and development of new products. As I stated from the beginning, we're into synths for the long run and there are many exciting projects we are currently developing.
I hope you will join us on this exciting journey.
Great idea! Count me in

PS: Would be awesome if you could post the correct dimensions of the D (length, depth, width, and HE in Eurorack).
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Nut

Great news Uli, thanks for the update. I think your designs and products are just amazing.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Please allow me to give you a quick update in relation the Model D.
Thanks for the update Uli, I was a bit worried that the prolonged silence meant a quiet death of this project.

Are you also going to change the dipswitch Midi channel selection to something more modern? It looks outdated and a bit of a kludge.

And, is the projected price, $399 if I remember correctly, still feasable?

Again, thanks for your chiming in.

Regards,
Albert
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Addict

Good to hear, Uli. Thanks for the update!

Also, I commend you and Michael (and all the other synth manufacturer representatives who read and post here) on the saints' patience you exhibit, seeing your company's products bombarded with some of the most inflammatory statements, and stoically letting it happen. I don't know if I could do that. Kudos.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralbert View Post
And, is the projected price, $399 if I remember correctly, still feasable?

Again, thanks for your chiming in.

Regards,
Albert
Thank you for your question Albert.

We have not set the price yet simply because we haven't finalized the overall cost which is heavily dependent on the latest BOM (Bill of Material) paired with projected sales and manufacturing quantities. And this all depends on overall market demand which so far has been very promising.

As some recall from my earlier post, unlike most other manufacturers we simply calculate the sales price "bottom up" which means the more we can lower manufacturing cost, the more savings we can pass on to you the customer.

Once we have all sales feedback from our partners and negotiated the component cost with our suppliers, we will be able to announce the final price.
Today, we are confident that the price will not exceed US$ 399 MAP.

Uli

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 17th July 2017 at 01:31 PM..
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
So, what I'm taking from this:

(a) Turns out that copying a Model D for $400 and trying to make it sound any way decent isn't as straightforward as was being suggested; and

(b) It was a purely coincidental administrative error that led to Sweetwater briefly opening pre-orders at $100 less than the the estimated price point the day after the SE-02 was announced.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenway View Post
So, what I'm taking from this:

(a) Turns out that copying a Model D for $400 and trying to make it sound any way decent isn't as straightforward as was being suggested; and

(b) It was a purely coincidental administrative error that led to Sweetwater briefly opening pre-orders at $100 less than the the estimated price point the day after the SE-02 was announced.

Uli just said the price is still expected to be 400.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Also,

(c) Behringer takes the sound of the model D serious, and works hard to make it sound right.
Old 17th July 2017
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
We are now at board spin 3 and just released around 20 units which were sent to reputable synth experts such as Rob from www.rosensound.com and others
You should send one unit to our own GS member clusterchord. He is a top synth expert, not just here but worldwide, has a well trained ear better than most of us, worked with a ton of analogue gear for years, has actual Mini to test it side by side and most importantly understands electronics to the last detail. He is a strong but honest critique. So if the product sucks, he will say it straight in the face. There are many synth "experts" in the world, the only difference here is that you can actually check this guy's knowledge, both here on GS and on AH using a simple search command. As opposed to other "experts" that call themselves experts yet haven't spoken a single word. Seriously, if you want an actual expert with an actual record, send him the unit.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post

Uli just said the price is still expected to be 400.
What I'm referring to is the publicity splash for an apparent $100 price drop right after the SE-02 was announced.

Behringer's Minimoog clone now available to pre-order for $299

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralbert View Post
Also,

(c) Behringer takes the sound of the model D serious, and works hard to make it sound right.
And I wish them the very best of luck with that.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I'm referring to is the publicity splash for an apparent $100 price drop right after the SE-02 was announced.

Behringer's Minimoog clone now available to pre-order for $299
Just shows the reliability of this source. Just speculation, no fact check.

But of course, questionable is neither "factmag" nor your judgement. Its the big bad Behringer.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFunk View Post
Great news Uli, thanks for the update. I think your designs and products are just amazing.
Er ... well ... sort of ... but ... Oh, bugrit, I just can't be arsed to reopen that wound! Never mind.

Quote:
We are in a sad state of affairs that it has gotten to the point that modern musicians are even image conscious of what brand of gear they take on stage.
True, but the Fender that SRV is holding on the cover of Texas Flood is a Tokai with the logo airbrushed out. And some musos also have contractual endorsements that dictate the brand/instruments that they use to perform.

Me, I'm hoping that my playing is so bad that Uli will pay big buck$ to stop me making vides of the Behri-D. I can make anything sound like a Timbre Wolf playing Axel F with jazz timing.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Just shows the reliability of this source. Just speculation, no fact check.

But of course, questionable is neither "factmag" nor your judgement. Its the big bad Behringer.
I'm pretty sure half this website saw it listed on Sweetwater for $299. I certainly did.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
I'm pretty sure half this website saw it listed on Sweetwater for $299. I certainly did.
So what? We just got latest information about the price directly from the manufacturer.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

I appreciate their focus to get the sound right.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Keyword there is saw, which is past tense and if you recall, it was quickly taken down

The interesting thing pricing wise is this whole BS idea that Behringer is somehow panicking about the Roland SE-2, we can all put that to bed
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
We believe in "open innovation" and we will continue this path.
While I fully agree with and applaud the philosophy of transparent development and an iterative process, I must object to the use of the word "innovation" in the context of the Behringer "Model D".

<moderator edit - please keep this about the subject topic: availabillity of the Behringer synth? there's a large thread with that discussion. thank you>

Last edited by Reptil; 17th July 2017 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: -
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Free idea:
Manufacture custom front plates and knobs/switches that would make the D look less like a cheap chinese copy.
Sell to 100000 of future owners of the synth.
Profit.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis View Post
While I fully agree with and applaud the philosophy of transparent development and an iterative process, I must object to the use of the word "innovation" in the context of the Behringer "Model D".

This is clearly a project involving blatant imitation, not innovation. Nit picking perhaps, but I have not had my afternoon dose of coffee yet.

So was the original Model D in Eurorack form? Did it have MIDI?

Innovation is taking a 40 year old design and re-creating it in a form that makes sense in 2017
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
So was the original Model D in Eurorack form? Did it have MIDI?

Innovation is taking a 40 year old design and re-creating it in a form that makes sense in 2017
My post got a moderator edit, so I will keep this brief and to the point (even though Uli invited the discussion ):
Innovation in my book is bringing something new to the market. Releasing a new, improved version of a competitor's product is at best iterating.

Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Will you guys stop making sh!t up?!
It's not coming in summer 2017 FFS.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
But you and the "factmag" guys concluded a Behringer price cut from it. Wrongly, of course.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
But you and the "factmag" guys concluded a Behringer price cut from it. Wrongly, of course.
Not quite, I was always very skeptical of whether this was going to be the final price. But quite a coincidence that the price got dropped for a small number of pre-orders and this fact got splashed around the internet right at the time that the SE-02 was grabbing most people's attention following Roland's announcement. You can take from this whatever you like.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Releasing a new, improved version of a competitor's product is at best iterating.

Staying on topic the Behringer D that is getting released some point in the near future is not a copy of a competitor's product, it is a new modern version of a synth made by a company that went bankrupt and out of business decades ago.

The exciting thing for me and many others is having the Model D in modern form at an affordable price, especially since that synth is no longer in producion

I'm glad that Behringer is taking their time to do it right, taking the time and spending the money to give prototypes to people in the field who can compare it with the original units out of production for decades that were manufactured by a long gone and bankrupt company

Webster defines the term Innovation as "the introduction of something new, a new idea, method, or device"

Like it or not the new Behringer Model D is certainly being created in a very different way using a different methodology than other synthesizers. We have been given a sneak peak at prototypes, we have heard from the head of the company, ideas put forth on this very site have been implemented and continue to do so

That is something new, it's a brand new idea and method of bringing something to market, and is the very definition of Innovation
Old 17th July 2017
Good news Uli.

I look forward to your next project.
Old 17th July 2017
Quote:
My post got a moderator edit, so I will keep this brief and to the point (even though Uli invited the discussion ):
Innovation in my book is bringing something new to the market. Releasing a new, improved version of a competitor's product is at best iterating.

You need to get a new improved book then
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
That is something new, it's a brand new idea...
We just have to agree to disagree.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Will not exceed $399 means less than or equal to...
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Maniac
Hi,

I also like innovation but in this special case I very like that it copied the original layout (to some extend),
because it's the layout of ... the original ikon and so should it be.

br
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search