The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Model D
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Spy View Post
I think the rumor is true Polychain mode, which means you feed regular old MIDI to the first unit in the polychain, and it sends the overflow down the line, etc. You daisychain as many units as you want for the number of voices, up to 16 if you're insane.

Yes, in terms of analog monos without patch storage and digital control you need to set up the same patch on each synth for a traditional polysynth behavior.

But setting them up differently can be fun and you can do that on the OB 4-voice, Mono/Poly, even the (gulp) Timber Wolf.
I suppose having different wave envelope and filter settings on each voice could produce some interesting sounds, but lead to some difficult playing technique if you actually wanted to pick which one would apply to a particular note you were playing.

Many, many years ago, my Korg poly 6 developed a faulty vco chip and every sixth note you played was silent. Our keyboard player did manage to get through a couple of gigs stealthily counting to six and double pressing some keys quickly!
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
In any case, 300 dollars plus VAT should still not be more that around 350 Euros with the current exchange rate.
299$ = 254,83€

350€ would include nearly 40% VAT! Even with 27% VAT it should be no more than 310€, with most EU countries the price should be no more than 300€. Just sayin'...
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

For the sake of comparison, the DeepMind12 (very recent product from the same manufacturer) was launched at 1'000$ in the US and at 1'200€ in EU.
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
299$ = 254,83€

350€ would include nearly 40% VAT! Even with 27% VAT it should be no more than 310€, with most EU countries the price should be no more than 300€. Just sayin'...
Prices in Europe are normally less competetive than in the USA. More middle men, larger profit margin, etc. But yes, below 350 Euros.
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Addict
Can't you guys just wait until the actual price is known? Bax is just putting a high price up until the actual one is known so people don't order it but they get google page ranks. The same tricks do other companies too (i.e. a big online store that i don' mention). I think it would be cooler to talk about the product to come.
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 View Post
For the sake of comparison, the DeepMind12 (very recent product from the same manufacturer) was launched at 1'000$ in the US and at 1'200€ in EU.
The exchange rate was around 0.95 at that time, so that's about right. The rate is at 0.85 now, so the euro price should be closer to dollars. The Deepmind 12's price has dropped recently in Europe, which may be related to this.
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Indeed, the Deepmind costs 999€ and Streetwater price is 999,99$

False panic because of inadequate BAX pre release price
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Maniac

GuitarStinker has an 11 NOV 17 delivery date for pre-orders. I have seen dates on new items shift +/- a bit on their site over the years.

It is a less than exemplary delivery baseline, but a datum nevertheless.
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Nut

So anyway, while we're waiting I spent some time looking at the Moog model D manual to see if it would help me use the Behringer D. I understand that part of the charm of the model D is its limitations... I have a question...

How would you go about achieving tremolo? It looks like you can't apply the modulation to loudness. The Behringer has a CV in for loudmess, but there is no CV out for the output of the whole modulation section (which I think would be good). I suppose you could connect an LFO out to loudness in, but there's no attenuation...

Any other ideas?
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Manual knob control or external tremolo pedal.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Is at any shop in Europe for pre order??
Old 29th September 2017
Deleted User
Someone really should make a keybed dock for this.

A 2-octave full size keybed, pitch and mod wheels, eurorack format tilting upper rack. Internal power supply, with exactly enough space for one D. Small module pre-mounted offering some buffered mults and/or utility stuff and a noise gate/distortion/bbd. Wood, Minimoog style cosmetics.

Any price under $300 would make it a no-brainer for half of D owners. The other half of D-heads are either into eurorack or are awaiting a full size premium clone.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

A 2-octave full size keybed, pitch and mod wheels, eurorack format tilting upper rack. Internal power supply, with exactly enough space for one D. Small module pre-mounted offering some buffered mults and/or utility stuff and a noise gate/distortion/bbd. Wood, Minimoog style cosmetics.

Any price under $300 would make it a no-brainer for half of D owners. The other half of D-heads are either into eurorack or are awaiting a full size premium clone.
Behringer should make a replica 44-note + mod pitch wheels keybed, but the size of Arturia's Keystep (slightly smaller than normal and slightly larger than LPK25 keys.

And include CV and MIDI
Old 29th September 2017
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've been thinking of this lately. I have no doubt it will happen. Behringer would be smart to head off the competition but it seems like their plate is pretty full atm. Bonus point if it allows the D to fold back but I'm thinking it's a bit thick for that.

Would be really happy if I see my mine mid August.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't think you'll get much better than this and you'll have room to spare - the the extra space and features might pay for itself? The keyboard is superior

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...EgL6RfD_BwE://
Old 29th September 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:

Well I'm looking forward to seeing a Behringer D in a Waldorf KB37.

It's not cheap and it's not wood, but it is very high quality and very flexible. You would have velocity and aftertouch (and configurable MIDI CCs) available as CV to patch in where you like. There is space for other modules and a built in arpeggiator. Same keyboard as a Moog...
Old 29th September 2017
Deleted User
The Waldorf is excellent - but too much money for me to drop on something like that. I'd get it if money wasn't an issue and I expect folks with deeper pockets will be picking up quite a few of these and adding complimentary modules to fill the space.

When I think about a thousand bucks for the W, I know could get a small powered wood euro case, a few utility modules and stick it behind a decent MIDI controller for $500.

Maybe if Waldorf released a 25-key version and added a 16-button sequencer for $699... Whoever creates the perfect low-priced companion keys for this will sure sell a bunch!
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
299$ = 254,83€

Nice math there, now go and talk with Thomann about it. They're making the prices in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintmark View Post
Well I'm looking forward to seeing a Behringer D in a Waldorf KB37.

It's not cheap and it's not wood, but it is very high quality and very flexible. You would have velocity and aftertouch (and configurable MIDI CCs) available as CV to patch in where you like. There is space for other modules and a built in arpeggiator. Same keyboard as a Moog...
And in Europe its only 770 Euro.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
Behringer should make a replica 44-note + mod pitch wheels keybed, but the size of Arturia's Keystep (slightly smaller than normal and slightly larger than LPK25 keys.
Oh no, no, nooooooooooo!

(I own a Keystep, it's ok but not for real playing)
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
He's already said the pricing to distributors is the same everywhere. You need to take it up with the distributors/retailers...
The waldorf kb37 shows this to be utter nonsense. I demand apologies from everyone involved in this fiasco.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
The Waldorf is excellent - but too much money for me to drop on something like that.
It would be interesting if it has the space for 2 Behringer Ds.
This would be the ultimate 2 voice Minimoog.
But as I know it's too small.

Quote:
Maybe if Waldorf released a 25-key version and added a 16-button sequencer for $699... Whoever creates the perfect low-priced companion keys for this will sure sell a bunch!
Nice idea.

But for this money you could take a Beatstep Pro and a nice Midi keyboard controller.

br
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
Behringer they have to produce a mini midi keyboard with good quality mini keys, dedicated to Model D. So, the owners of the Behringer Model D, to be able to embodied the synth into this keyboard. (as the Boutique K25 mini keyboard and the SE - 02 Roland synth).

With this opportunity Behringer they can smartly add a 64 step sequencer into this mini midi keyboard, with transponce function on the fly, and with pattern (midi) memory, and chain patterns ability, and octaves up and down, and for 99$ the mini keys plus 349$ for the unit = 448 $ and they will blow the SE – 02 (599 SE -02 + 99 K25 = 698 $) out of the water immediately…

I know you can take your Arturia keystep to use it with your Model D, but a midi keyboard dedicated exactly for a module synth is a different feeling….
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
Behringer they have do produce a mini midi keyboard with good quality mini keys, dedicated to Model D. So, the owners of the Behringer Model D, to be able to embodied the synth into this keyboard. (as the Boutique K25 mini keyboard and the SE - 02 Roland synth).
For me the Behringer D must not at all compete with the Roland SE02.

Sorry, if you want a toy, buy a Roland Boutique.

And sigh, I know there are different musicians. I belong to the old school who want to (and can?) play the real keys.

No mini keys with minimoog!

br
Old 29th September 2017
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Behringer they have to produce a mini midi keyboard with good quality mini keys, dedicated to Model D. So, the owners of the Behringer Model D, to be able to embodied the synth into this keyboard. (as the Boutique K25 mini keyboard and the SE - 02 Roland synth).

With this opportunity Behringer they can smartly add a 64 step sequencer into this mini midi keyboard, with transponce function on the fly, and with pattern (midi) memory, and chain patterns ability, and octaves up and down, and for 99$ the mini keys plus 349$ for the unit = 448 $ and they will blow the SE – 02 (599 SE -02 + 99 K25 = 698 $) out of the water immediately…

I know you can take your Arturia keystep to use it with your Model D, but a midi keyboard dedicated exactly for a module synth is a different feeling….
Looks like the KeyStep is the one to use atm. Nice features.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
For me the Behringer D must not at all compete with the Roland SE02.

Sorry, if you want a toy, buy a Roland Boutique.

And sigh, I know there are different musicians. I belong to the old school who want to (and can?) play the real keys.

No mini keys with minimoog!

br
LOL what? Roland Boutique synths are toys? The Jupiters and Junos and the D - 50 and the new SE - 02 are toys?
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
LOL what? Roland Boutique synths are toys? The Jupiters and Junos and the D - 50 and the new SE - 02 are toys?
Yes, because, of the ridiculous form factor (and some system properties), for sure not the sound which is mature.
But I don't want to convince you. Two different worlds.

I think about to buy a Boutique to take it on holidays. That would be nice, because of portability.

br

PS: But anyhow the D-05 is soundwise something of the past. Also only my opinion, don't care.
Old 29th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
But anyhow the D-05 is soundwise something of the past.
As opposed to this new Behringer Model D. Talk about "The Future. Redefined".
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintmark View Post
So anyway, while we're waiting I spent some time looking at the Moog model D manual to see if it would help me use the Behringer D. I understand that part of the charm of the model D is its limitations... I have a question...

How would you go about achieving tremolo? It looks like you can't apply the modulation to loudness. The Behringer has a CV in for loudmess, but there is no CV out for the output of the whole modulation section (which I think would be good). I suppose you could connect an LFO out to loudness in, but there's no attenuation...

Any other ideas?
The only way I could ever do a trem effect internally it on a Mini was to set 0sc 3 to a square wave and and use it as a filter mod to open and shut the filter.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
As opposed to this new Behringer Model D. Talk about "The Future. Redefined".
Oh, you caught me.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Just bought a Roland A-49 to use as a keyboard for my SE-02, along with some other modules.. You do not have to use the minikeys just because they are offered as an optional accessory, you know that right?

instruments with big integrated keyboards are a luxury not all of us can afford. Modularity is where its at, you can make the UI fit your needs better than with a 1-size-fits-all. Behringer knows this.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search