The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Model D
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
?

What is?
The Roland SE-02 comes very close. It’s designed by Studio Electronics, a small US company that kept building analog synths throughout the 80’s. They created amongst others the Midimini’s and teamed up with Roland to give us a monophonic, presettable, moogish analog boutique synth with quite some I/O. Small knobs, I know, so I swapped the Model D phones knob with the SE-02’s filter knob.
In any case, combined with the SE editor, it can do the merging between 2 sounds, similar to what Arturia’s Polybrute is capable of doing.
And it has xmod and a delay. If you look around and have some patience you’ll find it under 400 EUR.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIgnis View Post
And it has xmod and a delay.
They added PWM too, as an LFO modulation option, apparently. Did they ever add a way to control the pulse width directly, e.g. with MOD or another CC?

I haven't yet added PWM control on my Boog, but one day I intend to. I don't think there's any practical way to make mods like that to the SE-02, because it's a digital panel controlling the analog synth parts.

That's one of my reservations about it - the Boog is fiddly to work on, but it's mostly one big analog circuit, so a lot of things can be altered. The SE-02 is more limited in what you can change on it - really, very little, other than maybe giving it better connectors (1/4" jacks or RCA) by putting it in a bigger box.

I still don't rule out buying one eventually though, at the right price.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Too bad Behringer doesn't dump all the schematics* to these synths. The number of mods would be insane, not to mention the quality of the mods would be much better too; spare gates could be easily found and used, etc...

*-Like the Model D
Gear Head
Yep, I wouldn't recommend modding the SE-02. I've opened it up, the thing is packed. But then again the amount of features is ace, surely for DAW control.
The Model D on the other hand is much more the tool to experience vintage sound making... and modding!
Gear Guru

I had an SE-02 for about ten minutes while I was putting together my Aira system, and I was surprised that it was possible to get so much synth for that low of a price. I don't get why they go so low secondhand.
Gear Head
A lot of reactions came on the size of the knobs and that they were wobbly, what would be a sign of bad build. In reality, the knobs are doable (a lot of modular gear even has smaller sized knobs) although tiny, but more important they are not wobbly at all. Better said: the pot meters are very stable, you only experience slack on the wave and range selectors, but that is of no consequence.
I can access and control it as well as a cabled eurorack :-)
Old 1 week ago
quite a couple of model Ds showing up second hand it might just be time to get into modding

did a new modifications guide (nicer than the old ones that covers a whole range including reverting the mixer section to minimoog vintage, VCA envelope declicking, and such

Behringer Model D - DIY Mods
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
quite a couple of model Ds showing up second hand it might just be time to get into modding

did a new modifications guide (nicer than the old ones that covers a whole range including reverting the mixer section to minimoog vintage, VCA envelope declicking, and such

Behringer Model D - DIY Mods
Indeed. I've been window shopping some Moog euroracks M32, DFAM, Subharm. Also looking into finally racking my moogerfoogers. A Model D might work too :0)
📝 Reply