The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Model D
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuFX View Post
Bit late but I would go for Model D, For that price a full recreation of the discrete moog circuits is too good to pass up, the sound is like no other with a seemingly endless amount of sweet spots, the added high pass mode adds a whole other layer to it aswell.
The Pro1 does sound great from what I seen but there will probably be a lot of other synths using the CEM chips in their designs. Not that they'll all sound the same but they will be in similar vein, the D would be a better contrast if you ever decide to pick up one of them
Thanks for your answer. I think sooner or later the whole range of behringer products will be here anyway, just like all the others and I have to explain to my wife why it's not enough to have just one device.

What I like more about the pro 1 at the moment is the 80s sound. I'm working on pop music and that's pretty hip in that genre right now.

Maybe I will test both devices before I decide for one. I also like the poly d sound, but it's another level, and too large too hide from my wifey and to say it was cheap .
Old 6th October 2020
Gear Nut

Are you guys happy with the model d or still want a poly d?
Old 6th October 2020
Lives for gear

a Mini with presets.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
a Mini with presets.
?

What is?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
?

What is?

MFB Synth Lite II isn't, but has presets. gets a bit moog-y.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
MFB Synth Lite II isn't, but has presets. gets a bit moog-y.
When I had one, I would describe it as more Rolandy, especially with the DCO's. Sat beautifully in a mix. Totally underrated little box.
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
When I had one, I would describe it as more Rolandy, especially with the DCO's. Sat beautifully in a mix. Totally underrated little box.
yes i was going to say roland-y too. noting that you call them DCOs when the internet squawks 'digital oscillators', and generally disses it. i originally approached it like a little 3-osc mono, but it's 2 + sub, and there's osc sync and ringmod modes. some fiddly MFB button combinations. goes poly with the PolyLite, which has no controls (plan to do a Ctrlr panel at some point) but possible separate outputs for each voice.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaem View Post
Are you guys happy with the model d or still want a poly d?
I love my Model D and bought the Poly D thinking it would be more Model D. But it's not. It's a very different synth. The Poly D doesn't do the Model D thing. It's less agressive and thinner sounding.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
I love my Model D and bought the Poly D thinking it would be more Model D. But it's not. It's a very different synth. The Poly D doesn't do the Model D thing. It's less agressive and thinner sounding.
Fully agree. Had both and returned the Poly D. If you want Moog Model D sounds get the Behringer D. If you want something Moogy with 4-note paraphonic and a little Juno chorus get the Poly D, but for me the Poly D was a master of nothing: couldn't do proper D bass sounds nor could it really substitute a proper analog poly.
Gear Guru

Quote:
yes i was going to say roland-y too. noting that you call them DCOs when the internet squawks 'digital oscillators', and generally disses it. i originally approached it like a little 3-osc mono, but it's 2 + sub, and there's osc sync and ringmod modes. some fiddly MFB button combinations. goes poly with the PolyLite, which has no controls (plan to do a Ctrlr panel at some point) but possible separate outputs for each voice.
The first Synth Lite had digital oscillators, but the Synth Lite II has DCO's. It's not as spectacular today as when it came out, but back then, it was a cheap analog synth with a great character. Shopping for something in line with it today, I'd look at the BS2 as they're in the same ballpark, but BS2 has a lot more options.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Fully agree. Had both and returned the Poly D. If you want Moog Model D sounds get the Behringer D. If you want something Moogy with 4-note paraphonic and a little Juno chorus get the Poly D, but for me the Poly D was a master of nothing: couldn't do proper D bass sounds nor could it really substitute a proper analog poly.
So that all but confirms the gain-staging question. They had to give oscillators more headroom so they wouldn't overdrive like the Model D. Makes sense, but yeah, that would lead to a very different character.
Gear Head

hello
1) actual latests firmware is 1.1.1 right?

2) if i start the synth tool v 2.3.8 and go to update tab it shows model d has firmware v1.1.1

if i start synth tool v 2.4.1 and go to the update tab
it does not show the actual firmware version of the model d
+ below is the info loading...

i`m using a windows 7 machine

please can someone check if this is the normal behavior with synth tool 2.4.1?

thanks

Last edited by acidrecords; 8th October 2020 at 01:14 AM..
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris_ View Post
I am a bit confused with the multi-trigger mode.

I would like to turn off legato mode completely, as I want to play fast and sloppy pluck sounds, but somehow it doesn't work as expected.

What I do:
* Set Multi-trogger mode to on (via power off/on or Sysex, doesn't seem to matter)
* Set Note-priority to last
* Setup a single pulse sound with filter cutoff to 0, and a fast filter envelope (attack 0, delay ~50 ms) to get a quick pluck
* Play fast and sloppy

What happens:
* Every now and then I get muted notes while playing as if the filter envelope hasn't been retriggered. Very frustrating.

The documentation states that multi-trigger will trigger amp and filter envelopes on key down, but it seems to me it only retriggers the envelope if it has already "finished". If you strike a key down while the envelope is still running it does not seem to be reset.

As this is my first mono-synth, I might totally overlook something?

Thank you all!

Hey. I'm just wondering if you worked this out. This is something I want to achieve too. Thanks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusi View Post
Hey. I'm just wondering if you worked this out. This is something I want to achieve too. Thanks
This synth is crap exactly for this reason and I got rid of it, they don't seem to care. Behringer will get a world reputation of doing ****ty firmware, see this and TR8. No more B for me. Latency using midi, ridiculous. For not that much more you can buy a Basstation II with keys and lot of mod options plus can play paraphonic, way more value for money.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So that all but confirms the gain-staging question. They had to give oscillators more headroom so they wouldn't overdrive like the Model D. Makes sense, but yeah, that would lead to a very different character.

Is the Model D so different from the Poly D ? I have mine ( PD ) since fews days and I'm happy with it...And its woobling knobs.

I wonder what it would be if the Model D is really fatter compare to it. ( with same VCO number ON )
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
what is original behaviour? (just want to know if Synthpark 's complaint is justified)
Gear Head

Quote:
what is original behaviour? (just want to know if Synthpark 's complaint is justified)
You can't play fast staccato sounds, it always wants to legato, even if there is space between notes meaning some notes don't sound with fast envelope settings. A bit annoying. It takes an ARP well so it can play fast notes, I don't understand why it doesn't work. It's a bit annoying
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
This synth is crap exactly for this reason and I got rid of it, they don't seem to care. Behringer will get a world reputation of doing ****ty firmware, see this and TR8. No more B for me. Latency using midi, ridiculous. For not that much more you can buy a Basstation II with keys and lot of mod options plus can play paraphonic, way more value for money.
Damn. That's a shame. I do really like the character other than this particular issue. Hmm. Also considering returning.
Old 19th October 2020
Gear Nut

Am I the only to have one with a big velocity difference between the white and the black keys? ( I did not read all the 300 pages...) So I think to cancel the velocity with the soft, did not check yet but pretty sure it's possible.
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by latoxine View Post
Am I the only to have one with a big velocity difference between the white and the black keys? ( I did not read all the 300 pages...) So I think to cancel the velocity with the soft, did not check yet but pretty sure it's possible.
what do you mean? The Model D does not have a keyboard. Check your MIDI controller.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
what do you mean? The Model D does not have a keyboard. Check your MIDI controller.

My bad, I thought i was on the Poly D thread...
Lives for gear

Quote:
even if there is space between notes meaning some notes don't sound with fast envelope settings.
oh right. :-( that's pretty serious. i've never had an OG mini (but have Rogue). was considering getting a Boog, but that's a bit of a passion killer.

they have to look into this if it's a firmware thing. shame to screw up a good product. does @ Maffez have any info on this, eg: whether it's hardwired or firmware? is there a mod for it?
Quote:
oh right. :-( that's pretty serious. i've never had an OG mini (but have Rogue). was considering getting a Boog, but that's a bit of a passion killer.

they have to look into this if it's a firmware thing. shame to screw up a good product. does @ Maffez have any info on this, eg: whether it's hardwired or firmware? is there a mod for it?
nah, what you could do is check retrigger action when using an external cv/gate module- can check with my dom1 whn i get to it but might be firmware (dunno)

edit: just checked with dom1 firing gates at 300 bpm at shotest gate setting and short envs on the boog, and every hit was triggered fine - guess firmware then (wouldn't be a surprise)

Last edited by Maffez; 19th October 2020 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: addition
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by latoxine View Post
Is the Model D so different from the Poly D ? I have mine ( PD ) since fews days and I'm happy with it...And its woobling knobs.

I wonder what it would be if the Model D is really fatter compare to it. ( with same VCO number ON )
Not a Poly D owner, but from what I've read, the Poly D has lower headroom so that the polyphony doesn't get distorted. Sorta the same thing with a Pro One and Prophet 5; The Pro One is the exact same signal path as the Prophet 5, but the headroom on the Pro One was pushed up so that that monophonic note can hit the VCA/Mixer harder.
Gear Head
Quote:
No, sorry, I gave up assuming these quirks were part of the "this is vintage analogue" deal :-(
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris_ View Post
No, sorry, I gave up assuming these quirks were part of the "this is vintage analogue" deal :-(
Someone was saying that this is how the Moog behaves so I'm thinking it is normal?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
nah, what you could do is check retrigger action when using an external cv/gate module- can check with my dom1 whn i get to it but might be firmware (dunno)

edit: just checked with dom1 firing gates at 300 bpm at shotest gate setting and short envs on the boog, and every hit was triggered fine - guess firmware then (wouldn't be a surprise)
Are you saying your B model D take fast staccato notes fine?
I'm on the latest firmware and can't do that. Someone seemed to be saying that's how the original Moog behaves and is normal.

My novation Peak behaves the same way in Mono mode. I have to switch to Mono 2 mode for it to work on my Peak. Obviously don't need to since it's poly.
Quote:
Are you saying your B model D take fast staccato notes fine?
I'm on the latest firmware and can't do that. Someone seemed to be saying that's how the original Moog behaves and is normal.
via cv gate in, so i just checked the hardware aspect
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Love the tone

Stumbled on this tone when messing with the LFO TO CUTCV.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Model D-img_0644.jpg  
Attached Files

Ezz-ModelD-girthy.wav (8.22 MB, 300 views)

Old 6 days ago

just got one of these and really digging it, here are my first impressions
📝 Reply