The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Model D
Old 15th July 2017
  #61
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
I agree ... I'm not "image conscious" either ... But there's more than a bit of truth about the perception of "B" products being "uncool" ...
I think it's the "ear" logo. Ears are not cool. Not even Cat Blanket's ears in Lord of the Rings. The closest ears get to being cool are the Playboy bunny ears, but I'm not sure that sticking those on music gear would work well either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
According to Uli Behringer his piano teacher, impressed with his sense of perfect pitch, nicknamed him "The Ear", the inspiration for the Behringer Ear logo.
Old 15th July 2017
  #62
Deleted User
Guest
You're forgetting Spock. Better ears than Ariana Grande.
Old 15th July 2017
  #63
Deleted b598644
Guest
How come it's so quiet at the Behringer front?
No news for months on the Model D
Old 15th July 2017
  #64
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Though Alrod, this sounds decent

I never base my opinion on YouTube videos. Too many variable involved. Bitrate, processing, patches, bias, etc. Especially when I found out in several cases that certain company employees were behind the videos. The best way to perform any sound test is in person. Yes it can be difficult because not everyone has access to vintage gear or all the new synths available.

As an example, I purchased some of the Roland boutique synths based on YouTube videos. I could not return them fast enough. Nothing like what I heard on the videos. There was obviously some behind the scenes enhancing going on. After the fact, I even felt like perhaps some of what I was hearing was not the boutique synth. Marketing can be smoke and mirrors.
Old 15th July 2017
  #65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I never base my opinion on YouTube videos. Too many variable involved. Bitrate, processing, patches, bias, etc. Especially when I found out in several cases that certain company employees were behind the videos. The best way to perform any sound test is in person. Yes it can be difficult because not everyone has access to vintage gear or all the new synths available.

As an example, I purchased some of the Roland boutique synths based on YouTube videos. I could not return them fast enough. Nothing like what I heard on the videos. There was obviously some behind the scenes enhancing going on. After the fact, I even felt like perhaps some of what I was hearing was not the boutique synth. Marketing can be smoke and mirrors.
I have no words
Old 15th July 2017
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
The other part of me's gone to make a coffee so I dont know how he feels.
This made me literaly spill mine.
Old 15th July 2017
  #67
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I purchased some of the Roland boutique synths based on YouTube videos. I could not return them fast enough. Nothing like what I heard on the videos. There was obviously some behind the scenes enhancing going on. After the fact, I even felt like perhaps some of what I was hearing was not the boutique synth. Marketing can be smoke and mirrors.
Ho hum.
Old 15th July 2017
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Looping Loddar's Avatar
 

I am biased towards strong competition. And, indeed, we have strong competition for Ana-Monos! Uli likes competition, too - it helps him to create better products. So, i am pretty sure we will get a Behringer Mini Model D: with a disrupting sound!

(...i couldn't resist)





To tell you the truth, for 299 Dollar and with good envelopes, good filtersound, good VCA-sound the Behringer Mini Model D will be a very attractive product. Oh, and it's a good thing that the Behringer company has a second synth design team. I am pretty sure they are doing their best - and a lot of gearslutters (including me) will like this synth. I have only one question:

Do i need an additional mono synth?
Old 15th July 2017
  #69
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Ho hum.
Marketing firms love to see and hear those words. Cha-ching $$$
Old 15th July 2017
  #70
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Ah, yeah that makes since. I can understand it if they can't make enough of them to keep up with the demand (ran out of parts!!!).
Too many accusations of myself being a paid B promoter (I WISH!!!!!!) going around.

Every sale they missed goes into the accounting department as "LOST profit" and thus I am hoping to Afford a Semi-Modular synth with a longer warranty than a certain French Company...

If B makes restitution for creating real modular equipment instead of the line of budget mixers (I have a broken one I got for $5 lying around) called Euro Rack, more power to them. I will gladly wait to make fart sounds for $299!
Old 15th July 2017
  #71
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I wouldnt force the DM on anyone, I do s****** a bit at the sterile bland brigade because Im thinking you really havent played it...but interface is definitely a personal choice and not much can be done about the. i dont have a problem with the filter myself..again what shade of blue do you like...

The dreadbox looks like a great purchase...I foresee a time in the future where I will have a desktop area again. Just now my desktop is 30"x30" and is crammed
You have been officially elevated to hero status for not wanting to "Force sterile DM's on other people"!!!!!!

Otherwise you might have to register as an S-Trig offender for violating the circuit autonomy of a V-trig input!

:x

Went there!
Old 15th July 2017
  #72
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
You can phrase it as "We destroyed our projected sales figures!!!"
From Moog:

"Orders for the synthesizer quickly outpaced our initial estimates, leading to the addition of a night-shift to meet demand for the iconic instrument. Our parts-inventory for the Minimoog Model D project was originally expected to span multiple years of manufacturing, but is being consumed at a much higher rate than anticipated."

Model D Production Ending

This can easily be corroborated by trying to source the parts yourself (good luck). You also need to factor in Moog's need to keep these parts in stock for existing warranty repairs as well as post warranty repair. I suppose they could use replacement parts, but then it wouldn't be an actual reissue.

I know Moog had some of the transistors reissued, but I am not sure if Moog has the cashflow to have OEM supply partners reissue all of the discontinued components or if the OEM's even exist or are even able to do this.

So again, if not even Moog can build Model D's (not cheap knock offs or wannabees), how can we expect Behringer to do it?

Behringer should stop this nonsense of trying to convince people that they have a true Model D clone coming out. Call it something else. Make it your own thing. Your fanboys are not that naive
Old 15th July 2017
  #73
Lives for gear
 
the_soulcatcher's Avatar
let the guessing continue
Old 15th July 2017
  #74
Lives for gear
 
swiller's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
Behringer should stop this nonsense of trying to convince people that they have a true Model D clone coming out. Call it something else. Make it your own thing. Your fanboys are not that naive
Well said. Imho, they deserve the grief they have got on here, but the grief is hardly harsh. Its simply banta. If that is somehow bad or unforgivable, then its another reason why ill never buy behringer again.

If a company promises x and suggests that the original manufacturer was ripping people off, because it was all possible much cheaper. Then at least have the decency to show us the money in some sort of convincing form.

Otherwise, do not whip up emotions on gearlsutz and just release it quietly. If its that good, people will buy it.

Time to show us the money....

Or ill do more verses of the behringer rap.
Old 15th July 2017
  #75
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Crystals View Post
Sounds very close.Guess Alrod doesn't think the JP8 is all that.DM12 is a very nice analog synth especially in 6 voice mode detuned a little.Very old school analog sounding just like in the video.
Nope, I like the sound of the JP8. Here it sounds smoother and much more refined than the DM12. Close your eyes and listen.

Then again, I have access to a JP8. It sounds thicker and 3 dimensional in person. The DM12 in comparison is thin and 2 dimensional. This is why I don't like YouTube comparisons. you are not getting the full picture.

The DM12 by itself is ok as an entry level synth. I think a better price for it would have been $500. Some stores are already blowing them out at $699. Once the honeymoon phase is over, I predict that the DM12's will be on eBay en masse for about $300 or so used.
Old 15th July 2017
  #76
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
How come it's so quiet at the Behringer front?
No news for months on the Model D
This is the question being discussed due to the thread title and has been answered in this and other threads plus they've not been quiet for months really, not unless your calendar is crazy compared to the real one.

They have a lot of gear in the pipeline right now and being released the next month or so.

I expect the 3 VCO semi modular rackable tabletop synth with full midi is completely on target.

Last edited by Jamie munro; 15th July 2017 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Thread not threat :lol:
Old 15th July 2017
  #77
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I never base my opinion on YouTube videos. Too many variable involved. Bitrate, processing, patches, bias, etc. Especially when I found out in several cases that certain company employees were behind the videos. The best way to perform any sound test is in person. Yes it can be difficult because not everyone has access to vintage gear or all the new synths available.

As an example, I purchased some of the Roland boutique synths based on YouTube videos. I could not return them fast enough. Nothing like what I heard on the videos. There was obviously some behind the scenes enhancing going on. After the fact, I even felt like perhaps some of what I was hearing was not the boutique synth. Marketing can be smoke and mirrors.
Really?

Do you believe a God brought down the twin towers too?
Old 15th July 2017
  #78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
Nope, I like the sound of the JP8. Here it sounds smoother and much more refined than the DM12. Close your eyes and listen.

Then again, I have access to a JP8. It sounds thicker and 3 dimensional in person. The DM12 in comparison is thin and 2 dimensional. This is why I don't like YouTube comparisons. you are not getting the full picture.

The DM12 by itself is ok as an entry level synth. I think a better price for it would have been $500. Some stores are already blowing them out at $699. Once the honeymoon phase is over, I predict that the DM12's will be on eBay en masse for about $300 or so used.
wow, seriously I find it hard to answer some of this, and I think Im done in this thread as really some of you sound like youve never touched one but ftr I havent seen a DM12 for $699 anywhere...an ex demo for $899 is the cheapest online...no one is blowing them out anywhere, so Im sorry I find it hard to agree with anything you are saying.

of course a JP8 sounds "better" its ten times the price....I think Jamie was right...
Old 15th July 2017
  #79
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
500 should have been the price of the dm12



I'd take one as that would mean about £400 , in fact I'll take 3 please at that cost
Old 15th July 2017
  #80
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
wow, seriously I find it hard to answer some of this, and I think Im done in this thread as really some of you sound like youve never touched one but ftr I havent seen a DM12 for $699 anywhere...an ex demo for $899 is the cheapest online...no one is blowing them out anywhere, so Im sorry I find it hard to agree with anything you are saying.

of course a JP8 sounds "better" its ten times the price....I think Jamie was right...
Let Google be your friend. Making derogatory comments to try and discredit me doesn't change the facts:

Behringer DeepMind 6 Analog 6-Voice Synthesizer Keyboard, New


https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...S4UaApha8P8HAQ

Perhaps you are in denial?
Old 15th July 2017
  #81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
500 should have been the price of the dm12



I'd take one as that would mean about £400 , in fact I'll take 3 please at that cost
They will be on ebay for $300 soon...the threads are littered with unhappy users who would rather lose $700 than listen to those thin brittle sounds for one more minute!

Mong the merciless...
Old 15th July 2017
  #82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
Let Google be your friend. Making derogatory comments to try and discredit me doesn't change the facts:

Behringer DeepMind 6 Analog 6-Voice Synthesizer Keyboard, New


https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...S4UaApha8P8HAQ

Perhaps you are in denial?
Thats not a DM12

The DM 6 was always $699
Old 15th July 2017
  #83
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Thats not a DM12

The DM 6 was always $699
Oops, my bad. Sorry.

But even so, $899 for a product that hasn't been out very long is not a very good trend. Used prices are on a downward spiral trend as well. The name Behringer and the the flooded market will keep the prices low.
Old 15th July 2017
  #84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
Oops, my bad. Sorry.

But even so, $899 for a product that hasn't been out very long is not a very good trend. Used prices are on a downward spiral trend as well. The name Behringer and the the flooded market will keep the prices low.
Its $899 for a demo...a new DM 12 is $999

Everywhere
Old 15th July 2017
  #85
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Really?

Do you believe a God brought down the twin towers too?
So I guess Bose really does make the best speakers in the world?
Old 15th July 2017
  #86
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Really?

Do you believe a God brought down the twin towers too?
So I guess Bose really does make the best speakers in the world?

I find it odd you believe Behringer's claim that a Moog is nothing more than $200 worth of parts, but then you go out and purchase A DM12 for 5x that amount?!? You really believe that?

There are companies that spend more money on marketing than on R&D. Look up Grey Goose marketing or even Bose. The marketing firms they use make millions to get people to think that their products are the best. Your comment clearly shows me that you haven't quite made it to college just yet. This is marketing 101. All products are not what they appear to be.

Behring also likes to play dirty:

FCC dispute[edit]

The certified EMC testing facility in Behringer City

A Behringer audio mixer
In February 2006, the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) fined Behringer $1M,[15] issuing a Notice of Apparent Liability against Behringer, claiming that 50 of the company's products had not been tested for conducted and radiated emissions limits as required by US law,[16] and noting that Behringer continued to sell the products for a year after being notified.[15] Behringer had believed that since the units had passed stringent European CE standards, they would also comply with FCC verification requirements.[15] According to Behringer, it had overlooked the differences in testing standards and procedures under FCC and European requirements and has since implemented a complete UL certified safety and EMC testing laboratory under the UL certified witness program, including an in-house audit and global regulatory review system.[17]

Legal cases[edit]
In June 1997, Mackie accused Behringer of trademark and trade dress infringement, and brought suit seeking $327M in damages[14][18] but such claims were later rejected by the court. In their suit, Mackie said that Behringer had a history of copying products by other manufacturers and selling them as their own.[19] The Mackie suit detailed an instance, in which Behringer was sued by Aphex Systems for copying the Aural Exciter Type F—in that case Aphex Systems won 690,000 Deutsche Mark.[19] The Mackie suit also mentioned similar cases filed by BBE, dbx and Drawmer.[19] On 30 November 1999, the U.S. District Court in Seattle, Washington, dismissed Mackie claims that Behringer had infringed on Mackie copyrights with its MX 8000 mixer, noting that circuit schematics are not covered by copyright laws.[20][21][22]

In 2005, Roland Corporation sued to enforce Roland's trade dress, trademark, and other intellectual property rights with regard to Behringer's recently released guitar pedals.[23] The two companies came to a confidential settlement in 2006 after Behringer changed their designs.[24]

In 2009 Peavey Electronics Corp. filed two lawsuits against various companies under Behringer/Music Group umbrella for patent infringement, federal and common law trademark infringement, false designation of origin, trademark dilution and unfair competition.[25] In 2011 The Music Group filed a lawsuit against Peavey for "false advertising, false patent marking and unfair competition".[26]
Old 15th July 2017
  #87
Lives for gear
 
mekanik's Avatar
 

why not just get a real model D?? did you know they started remaking them again?
Old 15th July 2017
  #88
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
why not just get a real model D?? did you know they started remaking them again?
Did you know they stopped remaking them again?
Old 15th July 2017
  #89
Lives for gear
 
mekanik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Really?

Do you believe a God brought down the twin towers too?
it was some guys living caves in iraq that did it. didnt you know.
Old 15th July 2017
  #90
Lives for gear
 
mekanik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Did you know they stopped remaking them again?
i guess they simply rediscontionued them
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump