The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer Model D
Old 26th August 2019
Oh man, i used to blast the voyager, its so dark and nothing like a real model D and after you hear the boog, its like yup this is how real model d sounds not the voyager or any of the newer moog products, they totally nail the bass bottom, but the top fizz in the new moogs is absent and that is the magic of the original model D.

The other thing that really makes the boog even kill the original model D, the HP filter is really awesome, it totally can do things a lot of other mono synths cant now. The minibrute and neutron have hp, and bp, but the girth of those oscillator never drive the hp as well as a poly unison or a 3 osc moog can. This synth is WOW. And no monark doesn't even come close. I still like software, but i need analog too.

DF
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
Moog don't get everything right either. I've heard the Minitaur described as unstable and bug ridden (particularly the support software), which is a shame because I kind of wanted one of those.
I've never had a problem personally. But I don't use the editor and I have 3 presets.
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Head

Well the no presets thing is understandable from a live-perspective. I use it as a bass synth in my coverband #StinkyShoesandthewrongsweater and there it’s easily managable as I mostly just tune the settings as I play. With some practice it becomes very natural and intuitive. I actually love that my sound is not the exact same everytime we do a song.
Old 28th August 2019
The SE02 is the better thing for live, but dont try and tweak it live, stepping, and small knobs. but seriously its pretty cool too, but i prefer the sound of the model D for certain.
Old 5th September 2019
I see the Model D and Neutron at Sweetwater and other places at $228 right now.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Mine arrives tomorrow, so getting sleep before stalking delivery driver, see, I have crackheads for neighbors
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Might be time to grab a second one!
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
Might be time to grab a second one!
Get three, they're small.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Get three, they're small.
Like a lot of monosynths the Boog is seasonal, you'll find the plumpest ones on sale towards the end of summer, not there's anything wrong with buying during winter, but they do tend to be smaller and harder to find.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
Like a lot of monosynths the Boog is seasonal, you'll find the plumpest ones on sale towards the end of summer, not there's anything wrong with buying during winter, but they do tend to be smaller and harder to find.
it was suggested to me this morning that some boards actually 'go off'. ("it's gorn orff")
you know: past sell-by date, some type of digital mildew sets in, and then, boom, you've had it. fit for the Boog recycle bin.
but i've got a special spray for it, homebrew recipe.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
it was suggested to me this morning that some boards actually 'go off'. ("it's gorn orff")
you know: past sell-by date, some type of digital mildew sets in, and then, boom, you've had it. fit for the Boog recycle bin.
but i've got a special spray for it, homebrew recipe.
Just keep it in a cool, dry basement covered with straw, and it will still be good next spring.
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear
Just caught a baby Boog that I am going to introduce to my GM. I'm interested in how they are going to play together along with a Virus Classic.

Even after seeing all the videos and looking at the demo plastered on the wall at my local GC, I am really struck by how small the Boog really is. My fat ex-drummer meat hands are going to have fun.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Remember the old days?

"Nothing personal, but some people still want better than good. At these low prices, Behringer is cutting a lot of corners. Anyone expecting a Moog D clone out of this is going to be disappointed. This synth is targeted for entry level players.... at the end of the day it's going to be a cheap synth."

I am not disappointed. In fact, I am considering buying a second. He was right about one thing. It is "a cheap synth!"
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

I bought one

It's the cheapest synth I ever spent lol.. and it's the Model D Moog sound.

I never had a MOOG(Mogue) before. I was de

I was going to also get the MS1 because I want to sequence the Model D with it but I decided to hold off for the Behringer Odyssey.

Last edited by mpresev; 10th September 2019 at 10:54 PM..
Old 11th September 2019
Here for the gear

Model D $199 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...U5KJ023X&psc=1
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
Remember the old days?

"Nothing personal, but some people still want better than good. At these low prices, Behringer is cutting a lot of corners. Anyone expecting a Moog D clone out of this is going to be disappointed. This synth is targeted for entry level players.... at the end of the day it's going to be a cheap synth."

I am not disappointed. In fact, I am considering buying a second. He was right about one thing. It is "a cheap synth!"

...but where did they cut corners? Because they didn't include a keyboard and controller wheels? Because that's the only difference I hear from my Boog to a real Moog. Maybe it's just my "get payed to mix others peoples stuff" ears?
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

I didn't read all 296 pages, but can someone tell me if there's a 'fatal flaw' to this unit (something that breaks or doesn't work right),
or is it a fairly safe buy.
I read something about not being able to update the OS of the originals and some had to be sent back. Is that all sorted out now?
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I didn't read all 296 pages, but can someone tell me if there's a 'fatal flaw' to this unit (something that breaks or doesn't work right),
The only thing I've read that's a problem is that the user will often freeze up and stop working because they're so amazed with the marvelous sound coming out of this $300 synth.
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
The only thing I've read that's a problem is that the user will often freeze up and stop working because they're so amazed with the marvelous sound coming out of this $300 synth.
Now $200 synth!

Especially at that price there really is no downside. One of the most all time great classic sounds for a ridiculously low cost. It's a little mind blowing to be perfectly honest.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'll second that, such a marvellous sound I rarely use all three oscillators, the third usually as a modulation or FM source, and recently I've been getting really nice sounds just using one, which makes me wonder if they could update the firmware to offer two note paraphony from oscillators one and two while keeping the third as a mod source

Though I suppose I could just buy another and chain them.
Old 11th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir View Post
I'll second that, such a marvellous sound I rarely use all three oscillators, the third usually as a modulation or FM source, and recently I've been getting really nice sounds just using one, which makes me wonder if they could update the firmware to offer two note paraphony from oscillators one and two while keeping the third as a mod source

Though I suppose I could just buy another and chain them.
Paraphony is not possible via a firmware update as this qould require hardware changes. If you have a duophonic CV interface and some soldering skills, there is an easy mod for per vco pitch, however (check the Model D DIY thread in teh modular subforum).
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

The only annoyance I have with it is that you can't both set a pitchbend range *and* have it pitchbend in note release. For me that's a bit of a pain (when I'm soloing I often bend off the end of notes, but an octave is way too far), but it's relatively minor for most people.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Head

Oh...There is another flaw. You might start spending WAY too much time playing synthbass when you are foremost a bassplayer.
Old 11th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
There's a confirmed bug with timing in multi-trigger mode (the sound delays for about 15 ms).
The support promised me resolve it in a new firmware update, but it was 3 month ago and now I'm not sure if the bug will be fixed.

I know the original Moog hasn't multi-trigger mode, but since Behringer made this function it would be good if it works properly.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam Solo View Post
Oh...There is another flaw. You might start spending WAY too much time playing synthbass when you are foremost a bassplayer.
It's funny how many similarities there are sometimes between what I play with a Minimoog-type bass sound and what I would've played if I'd done the line on bass guitar instead - they usually end up being kind of busy either way.
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I read something about not being able to update the OS of the originals and some had to be sent back. Is that all sorted out now?
Mine is out for a warranty repair/replacement, MIDI note gates were making the oscillators go flat by a few cents.

Note ons were causing the detuning with note offs returning the pitch to the correct tuning.
This was happening with MIDI notes both over DIN and USB but not with CV, as if voltage from the digital side were somehow leaking into the pitch CV.

I think mine was an anomaly though as I've not been able to find anyone else with this issue.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
It's funny how many similarities there are sometimes between what I play with a Minimoog-type bass sound and what I would've played if I'd done the line on bass guitar instead - they usually end up being kind of busy either way.
Nothing wrong with busy basslines :-)
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

Anybody tried controlling this with the CV outs from a Arturia Keylab? My results are that I have to pitch down the keylab to get the correct octave, but then I’m gonna need a Y cable to controll both envelope and amp at the same time. Why would I do this? I’m a nerd!
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Anybody tried controlling this with the CV outs from a Arturia Keylab? My results are that I have to pitch down the keylab to get the correct octave,
Does that bypass the octave switches for the VCOs?

I haven't tried CV pitch control.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Anybody tried controlling this with the CV outs from a Arturia Keylab? My results are that I have to pitch down the keylab to get the correct octave, but then I’m gonna need a Y cable to controll both envelope and amp at the same time. Why would I do this? I’m a nerd!
arturia like many others use their C1 or whatever at a different voltage, try using the cyclone 303 cv out - i swear that is 2 octaves higher than arturia which is already really high imo thankfully we have tunable oscillators in synths
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search