The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end mic pre users...tube or not to tube for tracking analog synths?
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

High end mic pre users...tube or not to tube for tracking analog synths?

Curious what mic pres other analog synth owners are favoring for tracking their synths? I currently have a 1973 Fender Rhodes and Moog Little Phatty. As I will be adding a PEK and Omega 8 in the upcoming months it is time to start seriously considering a quality mic pre.

I feel like a tube pre would be the best choice for the Rhodes but I'm not so sure on the Phatty or the Omega synth.

Ultimately, I'll need to figure it out for myself but it's always fun to hear what others are diggin'.

Thanks!
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Little Phatty as well.

We have Logic in our MIDI suite where all keyboards are located. When we transfer sequences into Pro Tools (main room), we do it one track at a time. We have Logic slaved to Pro Tools MTC. Every track is run through high end preamps before it gets into Pro Tools. We have a Vintech 273, 2 Vintech X73's, 2 Avalon 737sp's, A Universal Audio 2-610, 2 API 512b's, and a Neve 33114. We choose different pre's for different instruments etc. In the near future, I am gonna add more tie lines out of the MIDI suite so we can do more tracks at the same time through each of the preamps. Friday, I ran the Little Phatty through the API and it sounded awesome! You could get 2 API 512c's and a lunchbox for around $1500 or so, I would guess. However, there are TONS of nice pre's out there to choose from. Hope this helps in some small way.
Old 26th March 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the response Alan. Out of curiousity what have you found the UA 2-610 to be good on?
Old 26th March 2007
Lives for gear

That is the first high end dual pre that I ever bought.

So I used it on everything. Every stereo synth I had went through it before going into my DAW. I even take the extra time to run my vst instruments through it and convert them to audio as well. I use the 2-610 on overheads for real drum alot as well.
Old 26th March 2007
Lives for gear

I use mainly API 312's, though i sometimes go through my GT Vipre. Both sound wonderful, which reminds me that I want to pick up a Wunder PA Four eventually.
Old 26th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I use mainly API 312's, though i sometimes go through my GT Vipre. Both sound wonderful, which reminds me that I want to pick up a Wunder PA Four eventually.
Ever a time when you feel the tubes on the Vipre are too beefy for synths? That one is definitely on the list of contenders (though wish there was a stereo version) but may be overkill for my needs.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone else? I know you guys who've invested in expensive modulars, Omega 8's or racks of vintage keyboards aren't recording directly into your computer's I/O...you aren't right?!
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

I run my Omega 8, Phatty and MPC through the API A2D, which is 2 312s and a converter. Sounds loud and clean as a fvckin whistle to me. You can run the input a bit red for some more color.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply Shane. That API looks pretty sweet. That along with the Manley Stereo Tube DI could be an interesting combo.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Ever a time when you feel the tubes on the Vipre are too beefy for synths?
Not really. Sometimes I just prefered the API's.
Old 27th March 2007
Led
Lives for gear

I've got a fair few vintage synths. I track most of them through a pair of 1272 originals. The synth are all on my patchbay.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

I wonder how they would sound threw a manley slam? anyone ever try that
Old 13th November 2010
Gear Addict

Old thread.

I own a Slam. Nice sound for synths. I prefer most of time crushing the DI inputs of my VP1
Old 13th November 2010
Lives for gear

The SLAM! is awesome. I want it, too. heh

@the OP: get a Manley TNT (Tubes - No Tubes). Thank me later.
Old 13th November 2010
Lives for gear

Great River ME-1NV for my Moog LP, Tom O SEM, DSI Tetra, love it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search