140 Votes - 37.53%
OB-6
238 Votes - 63.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Prophet 6 vs Ob-6; time to vote

Which one do you prefer?
Dave Smith Sequential Prophet 6 or Dave Smith & Tom Oberheim OB-6?
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

I vote Prophet 6.

It just seems like it's own instrument. My buddy sometimes keeps his at my studio, and I also have an OB8. To me the OB6 is just a little of that OB flavor shoehorned into the Prophet body.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

I like my Prophet 6 quite a lot. It's a good synth. Not a fan of the OB-6 sound at all.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

I have both, and like the OB-6 more than the P6.
Old 5th July 2017
Deleted User
I prefer the OB-6 to the P6, but I don't necessarily think it's better. The poll and opening post are asking two different questions.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear
I don't own either but after hearing all the YouTube demos and playing both side-by-side in the store, I left feeling like the P6 had a better sound, not to mention being way more sexy looking than the OB-6. Wish I could have both for a few weeks to really figure out which suits me more though...
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Have both. Prefer the OB-6.
Old 5th July 2017
I will just vote for the OB-6 because it was the one I chose. Considered the P6 when it was announced, but after listening to youtube demos, I just didn't think it would be right for me. There is that video, made by one of the programmers, that directly compares same sounds between the two. I liked the OB-6 better in that.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Having never laid a finger on either of these two synths, I abstained from voting. I just wanted to say I am positively thrilled to see them both on the market. Their existence is proof that despite alternatives, musicians still appreciate genuine analog polysynths. Yes!! Rock ’n Roll!!
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Prophet by a long shot. It just has that goey thick low mid heavy tone I love. OB is more fibrous and wiry and doesn't blend as well for me.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

I prefer the sound of the OB-6, but I think the P-6 is a more versatile synth in terms of sound.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

I also have both and have made lots of patches for both...Prefer the OB6.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear
I sold my OB6 recently to buy a pro 2 and prophet 12.
I really liked the pads I could get out of it and the sound but in the end I just found myself wishing I could get more out of it in terms of sound programming.

I haven't played with a P6 yet.
Old 5th July 2017
Gear Nut

Worked with both, prefer and own the P6 simply because it's more neutral and a little slicker, less of an 80's character synth. Functionally they are practically the same, it really depends on the kind of music you are intending to make with it.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
I prefer the sound of the OB-6, but I think the P-6 is a more versatile synth in terms of sound.
Exactly how I feel.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear
I owned both for a while in the end I prefer d the OB6 over the P6. Not by miles but enough to feel I didn't need the P6. The OB6 hit the right organic synth button for me.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

My vote is in and I disagree with Ruffas. I own both and I have to say I favour the OB-6.

Don't get me wrong the P-6 rocks but OB-6 first
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

The Prophet-6 is really, really good, even if its livery leaves a bit to be desired; the OB-6, on the other hand, has a stand-out sound that makes it a classic (and it looks good, too).
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

I didn't vote as I've never owned a P-6, and only played with it in the store a couple of times. And I'll probably get flamed for this, but IMO, the OB-6 offers a much more unique sound than the P-6, and it happens to be a sound I love.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
My vote is in and I disagree with Ruffas. I own both and I have to say I favour the OB-6.

Don't get me wrong the P-6 rocks but OB-6 first
I agree.
Old 6th July 2017
Here for the gear

My vote defaults to OB-6 because I own one and don't own a P6. I've played the P6 in a store a bunch of times but have been listening to a lot of 80s synthwave and com truise and the OB-6 just seemed right for what I wanted. That being said if I had to do a blind hearing test I probably wouldn't know which one is which
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I owned a Prophet 6 and sold it bc I was infatuated with 2 iconic synth designers and their creation: OB6. I loved my Prophet and it was a lot more diverse. I now own the OB6 and realized I prefer the P6 as a workhorse synth.

Now I did my research and made sure the OB6 was really what I wanted before I did all this switching around, but I think I got distracted by vintage Oberheim and really wanted that tone - meanwhile we all now know what we got in the OB6 is more modern than earlier Oberheims.

With all that said, I love having a synth that has a different filter than what a lot of my other tools have. OB6 is here to stay. So what is a guy to do? I ordered the Rev2-16 voice to add to existing kit and I hope that quenches my thirst for more Prophet lol ... it should be here mid July!!

To sum up, I voted OB6 even though I lean towards P6 bc hey that SEM filter.
Old 6th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbmusics View Post
I owned a Prophet 6 and sold it bc I was infatuated with 2 iconic synth designers and their creation: OB6. I loved my Prophet and it was a lot more diverse. I now own the OB6 and realized I prefer the P6 as a workhorse synth.

Now I did my research and made sure the OB6 was really what I wanted before I did all this switching around, but I think I got distracted by vintage Oberheim and really wanted that tone - meanwhile we all now know what we got in the OB6 is more modern than earlier Oberheims.

With all that said, I love having a synth that has a different filter than what a lot of my other tools have. OB6 is here to stay. So what is a guy to do? I ordered the Rev2-16 voice to add to existing kit and I hope that quenches my thirst for more Prophet lol ... it should be here mid July!!

To sum up, I voted OB6 even though I lean towards P6 bc hey that SEM filter.
I think you nailed something that I've been thinking and a few other people did too; I think the OB6 wows a bit more but I think the P6 is the more flexible sounding workhorse I need. Essentially I really wanted that vintage oberheim sound and these threads have convinced me to forgo the OB6 and just get a TVS pro. I think those two are the best bet for me.
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
I think you nailed something that I've been thinking and a few other people did too; I think the OB6 wows a bit more but I think the P6 is the more flexible sounding workhorse I need. Essentially I really wanted that vintage oberheim sound and these threads have convinced me to forgo the OB6 and just get a TVS pro. I think those two are the best bet for me.
That's me too. I've got a little SEM action in my ATC-X. When I first heard the OB-6 I thought, "Ah, that's the one." Seemed better to me, but a Prophet 6 module came along at the right price and I went for it. I love it so much, I really stopped thinking about the OB-6. Recently I saw a video where they compared the two doing similar patches, and I was surprised that I liked the Prophet 6 a bit more. Both brilliant synths though.
Old 6th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
That's me too. I've got a little SEM action in my ATC-X. When I first heard the OB-6 I thought, "Ah, that's the one."...

Both brilliant synths though.
Yeah I'd of course really love both an OB6 and TVS but space and mostly $$'s dictate narrowing it down between the two.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

I got to say I paired both of them together yesterday and it was synths on steroids

They compliment each other very well!
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Head
Have both and the OB6 makes it onto way more finished tracks than P6. Guess it inspires me more. P6 sounds nice, but OB6 has an edge to it that I really like.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

I had a P6 last year for 1 day, but sent it back to the music store and bought an OB6....and have loved it ever since.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
Nail on the head imo. I've played both in store and this is how I felt afterwards.

It almost makes me happy I can't afford either of them cos I don't think I'd be able to choose lol!
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I've got both, and love them both equally.
OB-6 for basses, with the awesome notch filtering, for more experimental stuff.

P6 is great for sweepy pads and more mid frequency stuff.

That's just me though. What do I know.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search