140 Votes - 37.43%
OB-6
239 Votes - 63.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThousandEyes View Post
I've only managed to skim through some of your ranting because you miss the mark so often it's not funny. For the record, I sold my OB-6 to fund a P6 and don't have regrets about that decision. Not because I don't think the OB-6 is great in its own right, but because I personally find the P6 to be more "musical." The problem is entirely on the users end if they can't get the P6 to sound amazing with ease.

I do however slightly prefer the look of the OB-6, which is near the bottom of importance.
The problems with these threads (maybe all threads?) is that we’re really talking about the synth version of two Hagan Daz flavors. Some argue for strawberry, some for chocolate, some love both and can’t decide so they go for two scoops. The problem comes from the strawberry fans saying things like, “the strawberry tastes so much more like food to me.” It’s a meaningless statement. Just say you like strawberry a lot more and don’t care that much for chocolate ice cream. My wife loves chocolate but doesn’t like chocolate ice cream. It doesn’t effect me in the slightest.

You should be lucky that you don’t have my problem: I love almost all synths. You have to suck really hard to make me dislike you, but one has to make concessions to not be overwhelmed with a giant pile of synths.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John01W View Post
It's not missing something really it's just different....Modulating the variable filter and the different filter modes is something special IMO. I really think they both have their own thing going on here.
You misread my post. I didn’t say that the OB was missing two filters. I said I’d miss the two filters if I got rid of the Prophet.

Quote:
No one is saying it can't, just how much it can compared to the OB-6(which manages to do it and still keep it....hard to describe "pleasing")
Maybe. I’ve never had the two in a room together at the same time, but I tend to go for aggressive sounds a lot and I’ve never thought that the Prophet 6 felt weak in that respect.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
You misread my post. I didn’t say that the OB was missing two filters. I said I’d miss the two filters if I got rid of the Prophet.
I gotcha.....i'm talking about configurations.... 2 simultaneous filters vs. a state variable, 4 filter type setup. Each has it's own thing going on. The tricks you can pull off with each is different. It's all good

Quote:
Maybe. I’ve never had the two in a room together at the same time, but I tend to go for aggressive sounds a lot and I’ve never thought that the Prophet 6 felt weak in that respect.

Again, I'm talking about VS. OB-6....not saying P6 can't get some aggression or that it's weak in general... Ob-6 can downright tear your head off(in a good way) I think the OB-6 sounds a bit "looser" too. I'm definitely not taking anything away from the P6...to me they're sisters/best friends!

I still think Geosynths had the best analogy...P6 is the princess(more polite), OB-6 is the rebel sister(but still gorgeous!)

I think this is a good example of what I'm talkin' about, clear as day man:

This(P6):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ippNTQm8PRU

VS. This(OB-6):

https://youtu.be/zNFEOgLWdoQ?t=589 You can hear what I'm describing....also when he plays the chords with that sound...man, rip your face off!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
You should be lucky that you don’t have my problem: I love almost all synths. You have to suck really hard to make me dislike you, but one has to make concessions to not be overwhelmed with a giant pile of synths.
Just to be clear, there are tons of great synths out there (including the OB-6 obviously) that are well worth owning. For my budget, I just can't justify anything that largely crosses the same territory. Any kind of perceived edge in beauty in favor of the P6 for me far outweighs the notorious fizz of the OB, that while hard to match elsewhere is not something I gravitate towards in my sound.

Edit: That's not to say the fizziness that the OB-6 is capable of is omnipresent, as some posters seem to have taken that last statement. Merely that it's a signature feature that I don't have much use for personally.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think this is a good example of what I'm talkin' about, clear as day man:

This(P6):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ippNTQm8PRU

VS. This(OB-6):

https://youtu.be/zNFEOgLWdoQ?t=589 You can hear what I'm describing....also when he plays the chords with that sound...man, rip your face off!
As anyone with healthy ears can hear, the P6 in that video is really bright, too. In other words, if anyone calls the P6 mellow, its like a joke. This video is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zzw...Qm8PRU&index=2
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
As anyone with healthy ears can hear, the P6 in that video is really bright, too. In other words, if anyone calls the P6 mellow, its like a joke. This video is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zzw...Qm8PRU&index=2
I wasn't talking about vs. brightness but it's definitely more polite than the OB-6 IMO. The videos I posted had the same patch creator making the same patch on both synths. The difference is clear. The P6 video I posted is actually some time newer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just to be clear, there are tons of great synths out there (including the OB-6 obviously) that are well worth owning. For my budget, I just can't justify anything that largely crosses the same territory. Any kind of perceived edge in beauty in favor of the P6 for me far outweighs the notorious fizz of the OB, that while hard to match elsewhere is not something I gravitate towards in my sound.

I hear ya, the price of these things is prohibitive haha...but I think they're(P6/OB-6) keepers...instead of buying a bunch of cheaper synths that end up getting traded off you're actually spending more money instead of choosing right the first time. For me I end up spending less money investing in the one I know will have the sound I want.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wasn't talking about vs. brightness but it's definitely more polite than the OB-6 IMO. The videos I posted had the same patch creator making the same patch on both synths. The difference is clear. The P6 video I posted is actually some time newer.
The P6 can sound very banging and aggressive, if you want it to.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But somehow the creator choose to play the same patch on the prophet 6 one octave up?
Old 1 week ago
Well I own neither but had to chance to play a bit at a store once... I felt more connected to the Prophet than the OB.
The Prophet IMO is overall the more versatile instrument capable of producing a larger sound palette. The OB does what it does really good and has a unique signature.
I like creamier more mellow sounds (pads, muffled brass, gentle strings, prophet sync) than the sharp harsh OB vibe (Saw stab, searing lead etc.). But both synths are awesome and capable of sounding similar if tweaked right.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
But somehow the creator choose to play the same patch on the prophet 6 one octave up?
Uh, watch it again man...he played it on the higher AND lower octave(at 1:00) on the P6 so he actually played more on the P6 on that patch. Did you just not sit there long enough to listen? Geez, might be a good idea to make a retraction don't ya think?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uh, watch it again man...he played it on the higher AND lower octave(at 1:00) on the P6 so he actually played more on the P6 on that patch. Did you just not sit there long enough to listen? Geez, might be a good idea to make a retraction don't ya think?
Must have missed it then, was indeed not listening to the entire performance
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
Must have missed it then, was indeed not listening to the entire performance
It's all good man Have a good one
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

heres a funny thing about a great synth.. I bought the OB6 and forgot about the price within an hour of turning it on.. one of the best synth purchase decisions i have ever made, if not the best
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I’ve owned both. Currently I only have the OB-6 but I’d love to pick up a P6 again.

It’s weird to read some of these breathless arguments about how much better one is than the other. They really are two different flavors of essentially the same synth. The differences are significant enough that I totally understand having a preference for one or the other but, after spending a lot of time comparing them side by side, I don’t understand how anyone could call either of them “harsh” or “weak” or really anything short of beautiful and inspiring. I can only conclude that these poor souls have no idea how to use a synth, no taste, diminished hearing or some combination of the three.

I chose to keep the OB-6 because, even though it’s arguably the more “vintage sounding” of the two, it’s a better fit for the kind of modern electronic music I make. It’s perfect for big bright leads, percussive keys and fizzy, airy pads that stand out from and compliment my soft synths.

Bottom line: they’re both fantastic synths. Pick your favorite flavor and buy both if you can!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've only managed to skim through some of your ranting because you miss the mark so often it's not funny. For the record, I sold my OB-6 to fund a P6 and don't have regrets about that decision. Not because I don't think the OB-6 is great in its own right, but because I personally find the P6 to be more "musical." The problem is entirely on the users end if they can't get the P6 to sound amazing with ease.

I do however slightly prefer the look of the OB-6, which is near the bottom of importance.
YUP, *YOU* really countered my argument with a detailed, nuanced and informative reply that really states your case and offers evidence based information for those on the line. Oh the old "entirely the user's fault" bs, pull the other one... I probably owned my Prophet 6 for longer than you have currently and have managed to get many usable tones out of hundreds of synths over the years. You're just pissed cos someone prefers the other one to what you like so get personal.

Well done Pal, have a cookie for your hard work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

voting is for suckers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy View Post
Well I own neither but had to chance to play a bit at a store once... I felt more connected to the Prophet than the OB.
The Prophet IMO is overall the more versatile instrument capable of producing a larger sound palette. The OB does what it does really good and has a unique signature.
I like creamier more mellow sounds (pads, muffled brass, gentle strings, prophet sync) than the sharp harsh OB vibe (Saw stab, searing lead etc.). But both synths are awesome and capable of sounding similar if tweaked right.
Ok, you got me beat... you have owned NEITHER of them, you had a 'chance' to play them.. "in a store" "once" and made your decision based on that.

What a joke, that means nothing. Do you not think I too was in love with the P6 when I first owned it? for weeks even, I used the damn thing day in day out over other synths until I realised its weak spots, I recorded through Neve pre-amps and Prism convertors into music that ended up on TV (US and UK), I turned that mofo inside out to discover its sounds and tone and I reached the WELL INFORMED conclusion that it just wasn't delivering enough for the price and the distraction from my other synths (at the time; I had a few more polys back then pre OB-6 < OB-6 actually "allowed me" to sell some of my vintage polys).

Then I got the OB-6 and actually I wasn't any more instantly wowed or deterred by it than the P6, not in an hour, not in a week... somewhere around a month in I really started to push the synth and discovered everything I wrote already in this thread and I knew the P6 enough to know it had let me down a bit where the OB-6 didn't, in my needs for an analog synth that had vibe, character and an emotional/inspirational tone.

But sure... an quick play in store, on dodgy headphones really over-rides that experience so go ahead, money where your mouth is and buy it.

ANd FTR concerning BOTH synths, neither of them sound as good from the headphone outs as they do from the line outs going into a decent mixer/converters. Headphone amps are often 'cheaper' cost-cut parts to do a job. OB-6 and P6 are no exception. Don't judge either from headphones in a store.

If you are buying one to stand surrounded by people and noodle on it for 10 mins once a month then P6 may well be just as good, but if you're buying it to last years and to use in actual music then the OB-6 will eventually show you why it's the better synth of the two for almost any kind of music not just the stupid pigeon holed restrictions it (or even the P6) have been placed into based on their filters or styling.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Look it's really ****ing simple, OWN BOTH and USE BOTH. Until then your opinion or anyone else's opinion who hasn't OWNED BOTH is worth the inverse of toilet paper right now but you can do the same job with them

There is no FIZZ on the ob6 if you don't want there to be! Jesus... I took time to explain in high detail the filter differences and people who've not played them come along trying to make out I'm dumb because I prefer the one they don't. P6 can sound beautiful indeed, I could post a clip (my own) right now were it gets me right in the nutz on a dark pad with this noble commanding tone, it's cracking for that, but so many other synths do that too, easily. It's nothing special "in context" only if you've bought and are determined to love the P6. Outside of that the other sounds,even the touted bread and butter sounds, are a lot more rigid, boring and vanilla than similar sounds you create on the OB-6. OB-6 doesn't always have to be fizzing or sweeping away, it can make a standard "24db like" synth bell sound (like a JX-3P or the Prophet) and sound 99% the same BUT unlike the JX it sounds more lively from chord to chord (like a guitar) and unlike the P6 it sounds more beautiful, less 'hard' and less harsh (esp if it's a brighter sound). You can darken both synths down as much as you like, OB-6 darkens and sounds great.. every bit as good as the P6, P6 can go too dark and just sounds dull and isn't much use in music (cos you can't even hear it esp with guitars etc). Then on the bright side, P6 sounds static/square/hard/harsh while OB-6 sounds more vintage/swimmy/emotional even on sounds that are 99% the same.

So yes they can make lots of the same sounds but 9/10 OB-6 sounds much nicer on the same sounds, more like I'd expect from an expensive *VCO* analog.

The small area the P6 may take a lead in is in sounds I don't have much call for, mostly boring "keyboard" sounds that are ten-a-penny from a soft synth or even sample library, there is no inherent analogness on those sounds (clicks and thumps and pianoy clangs - harder sounds). It's just not as useful an analog synth even if it can do slightly more standard sounds.

OB-6 sounds far more beautiful so not sure why you think P6 is the beautiful sounding one.

You can not.. I repeat NOT base this off of demos really, you have to own them both and tweak the tits off them to your own taste and compare, and record/mix with them then the answer is more than obvious.

P6 is a competent and sometimes sexy synth with a slightly dry/clinical/small sound that isn't really present or organic

OB-6 is a beautiful, organic (for modern) synth with tons more tonal variety within the range of sounds it makes, with or without ob-fizz, and just makes your ears and brain (heart?) react more, musically, to the sound of the VCOs and filter.

I don't keep hold of synths I'm not happy with, which is why I got through so many over the past 10 years (vintage and new), I wouldn't be vouching for the OB-6 so strongly if I hadn't heard it with my own ears in real music and real conditions.

OB-6 will always be the better analog synth that the P6 to me, and many others, based not on what it can do on paper but based on the sound of it, sound... the thing that is the whole reason we buy these expensive machines for in the first place.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
Look it's really ****ing simple, OWN BOTH and USE BOTH. Until then your opinion or anyone else's opinion who hasn't OWNED BOTH is worth the inverse of toilet paper right now but you can do the same job with them
I've owned both as well as had the privilege of comparing the two in-depth in my home studio.

Zerocrossing summed up my sentiments perfectly here. ↓
Quote:
The problem comes from the strawberry fans saying things like, “the strawberry tastes so much more like food to me.” It’s a meaningless statement.
You can claim bs all you want, but aside from lack of skill on the synthesist's part, any perceived advantage one takes either to have over the other mainly comes down to personal preference. A preference that no one can justifiably take aim at, but they certainly can point at the absurdity of so-called "nuanced" and "informative" claims that are little more than hot air parading as hard facts.

Furthermore ...
Quote:
and many others
An argumentum ad populum is not to be put forth as solid reasoning.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Got a P6.

Both are beautiful sounding synths and if money was no object I'd have an OB6 as well.
My reasons for going with the P6 is for one, I couldn't envisage where I'd actually use the OB6 whereas I could with the P6 at the time. Also I felt I came up against the limitations much quicker with the OB6 than I do with the P6.
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
I have a p6 and absolutely love it..p6 is my favorite synth and I have played the ob6 many times over trying to decide if I should trade.. my opinion is the ob6 is just not my thing and I don't really like that sound much. Having said that, I totally get why some like it more and get why others find the sound so hypnotic, nothing does what a oberheim does.
I wish that filter was in the super six though.. that's a synth I could love!! I feel like the filter in the super six and even the p6 filter can both be muddy at times.
Old 1 week ago
@ EBD A I think I dropped down like 10 IQ from reading your post... now I only have a solid 110.
Music is about playing, making ,having actual skill and not about having a big ugly mouth. To each his own opinion. This is an individual vote, if you think anybody can base his purchase on somebody's else writing online rather than trying himself at the store you're even more daft than I thought.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah although I respect EBD's opinion, it's really just that: an opinion/preference.

You can't go around on forums imposing your subjective preferences on to others.

Personally, having played both P6/OB6 back to back on a few occasions, all I can say is both are amazing synths.

I tend to gravitate more towards OB6 (like the majority it seems) but in no way does that belittle P6.

If anything, P6 is more versatile. It's 24db filter can self-oscillate and it's got a more focused, polished sound (vs bright/shimmery on OB6 IMO).

So depending on what you're looking for, one, the other or both synths are all perfectly valid choices.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

There is no FIZZ on the ob6 if you don't want there to be! Jesus... I took time to explain in high detail the filter differences and people who've not played them come along trying to make out I'm dumb because I prefer the one they don't. P6 can sound beautiful indeed, I could post a clip (my own) right now were it gets me right in the nutz on a dark pad with this noble commanding tone, it's cracking for that, but so many other synths do that too, easily. It's nothing special "in context" only if you've bought and are determined to love the P6. Outside of that the other sounds,even the touted bread and butter sounds, are a lot more rigid, boring and vanilla than similar sounds you create on the OB-6. OB-6 doesn't always have to be fizzing or sweeping away, it can make a standard "24db like" synth bell sound (like a JX-3P or the Prophet) and sound 99% the same BUT unlike the JX it sounds more lively from chord to chord (like a guitar) and unlike the P6 it sounds more beautiful, less 'hard' and less harsh (esp if it's a brighter sound). You can darken both synths down as much as you like, OB-6 darkens and sounds great.. every bit as good as the P6, P6 can go too dark and just sounds dull and isn't much use in music (cos you can't even hear it esp with guitars etc). Then on the bright side, P6 sounds static/square/hard/harsh while OB-6 sounds more vintage/swimmy/emotional even on sounds that are 99% the same.

So yes they can make lots of the same sounds but 9/10 OB-6 sounds much nicer on the same sounds, more like I'd expect from an expensive *VCO* analog.

The small area the P6 may take a lead in is in sounds I don't have much call for, mostly boring "keyboard" sounds that are ten-a-penny from a soft synth or even sample library, there is no inherent analogness on those sounds (clicks and thumps and pianoy clangs - harder sounds). It's just not as useful an analog synth even if it can do slightly more standard sounds.

OB-6 sounds far more beautiful so not sure why you think P6 is the beautiful sounding one.

You can not.. I repeat NOT base this off of demos really, you have to own them both and tweak the tits off them to your own taste and compare, and record/mix with them then the answer is more than obvious.

P6 is a competent and sometimes sexy synth with a slightly dry/clinical/small sound that isn't really present or organic

OB-6 is a beautiful, organic (for modern) synth with tons more tonal variety within the range of sounds it makes, with or without ob-fizz, and just makes your ears and brain (heart?) react more, musically, to the sound of the VCOs and filter.

I don't keep hold of synths I'm not happy with, which is why I got through so many over the past 10 years (vintage and new), I wouldn't be vouching for the OB-6 so strongly if I hadn't heard it with my own ears in real music and real conditions.

OB-6 will always be the better analog synth that the P6 to me, and many others, based not on what it can do on paper but based on the sound of it, sound... the thing that is the whole reason we buy these expensive machines for in the first place.
You are > 55: buy OB6
You are < 55: buy P6

You like 90ies house music like me: buy P6.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
You are > 55: buy OB6
You are < 55: buy P6
F that. And no, I’m not into my 50s or beyond. The OB-6 isn’t vintage, no more so than the P6, anyway. Maybe people who buy an OB-6 simply have taste (kidding! again, just get whatever sounds best, as they’re mostly similar and both great).

I wish people would stop saying it’s fizzy, bright, and/or shimmery. Sure, it can be. But it can also not be just with a few knob turns. It leans that direction, but it’s not limited to it.
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search