View Poll Results: Which synth do you think is better
Prophet 6
140 Votes - 37.43%
OB-6
239 Votes - 63.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st October 2019
Deleted bbe5aef
I love them both by OB-6 wins sonically.

God I hope Dave Smith continues marching on in the clone era. Be a sad day when our synthy boi passes.

You heard it here first, Behringer conspiracy to poison Dave.
Old 1st October 2019
Deleted 511cff2
Getting two synth legends together after approximately four decades is obviously a pretty momentous occasion; however, I've owned/love both, yet only kept the P6. Prefer having the triangle on the first VCO and also prefer the triangle sub more than the square. The OB has a certain characteristic hairiness (or fizz) that's nice, but the P6 gets the exact kind of beautiful organic tones that I'm looking for in an analog synth.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Owning both, I could swear I love the one I'm currently playing the best. If I've taken a break from one - because I miss the other so much - I'll go back to liking that one best. It's absolutely crazy, they are both so compelling and enjoyable for me in different ways.

Over the last couple months, as our music family room is being renovated, I've been exclusively using the OB 6+6 in my temp bedroom setup, with the new York Tech OB-6 Low Frequency Expander (just starting to figure it out). And, as expected, I would swear to you the OB-6 is my favorite (even knowing I go back and forth).

But, now I'm really missing my Prophet rig* and am getting close to the point of going through Prophet withdrawals, lol.

* BTW, there's also a P6 LFE in the works, with a black and white-lined panel resembling the P6 desktop and with Prophet knobs, instead of the blue-striped OB6 w/OB knobs. Of course, it will also work with the OB6 or any generic synth, just as the OB-6 LFE will work with the P6 and any generic synth.

GS-Conclusion; I simply must have both (er, both 6+6 rigs actually) and will keep them for the duration.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 511cff2 View Post
Getting two synth legends together after approximately four decades is obviously a pretty momentous occasion; however, I've owned/love both, yet only kept the P6. Prefer having the triangle on the first VCO and also prefer the triangle sub more than the square. The OB has a certain characteristic hairiness (or fizz) that's nice, but the P6 gets the exact kind of beautiful organic tones that I'm looking for in an analog synth.
Own both here, but would have preferred a square sub on the Prophet instead of the triangle.
Old 2nd October 2019
Deleted 511cff2
If forced to choose, the less harmonic content for a sub, the better imo. I'm not really looking for it to stand out (even on speakers that lack in the bass department) or need filtering, I'm mainly looking for it to fill in the bottom end as I find that far more useful.

Nota bene: A pure sine is ideal being that it's fundamental with no harmonics (or partials), but a triangle is a closer substitute than a square since the harmonics roll off more rapidly (even if they both have the same odd harmonics).
Old 2nd October 2019
Another person here with both. Hard to choose. Both sound great. I go back and forth all the time on which I'd prefer with the hopes of perhaps streamlining my gear a bit but in the end it's all up to the weather and mood of the day. I also hate to be the person saying this but they really do sit well in mixes together. Get both!
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

I was torn between these two for the longest time.

I thought I preferred the "OB sound" over the "Prophet sound", but then learned how much better the Prophet-5 rev. 2 sounded than its successors. The Prophet-6, to me, seems to capture the 5 rev. 2 magic closely enough. The one mental barrier that has me give the Prophet the edge is that 6 is more than the Prophet-5, but less than the OB-series standard of 8. I would have to buy two OB-6 modules and poly-chain to get all that I want out of OB, but I would be satisfied with just one Prophet-6 module. Also, more alternatives with state-variable filters are out there that can give me a convincing enough OB sound (though they won't have the OB-6's fully sweepable low-to-notch-to-high-pass mode), but nothing else new gets the classic Prophet sound like the 6.

The Prophet-6 sits on my long-term GAS list now, thanks to its just-approachable price tag.
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear
No doubt these are both exceptional synths. I owned both for a while. They also have many similarities as instruments as far as the sequencer, arp , effects etc... I tend to agree with the voting here. Sonically the Oab6 captures a certain magic in ways the P6 just doesn’t. That doesn’t mean the P6 doesn’t sound amazing but if I had to pick it would be the OB6. No question for me. I ultimately sold P6 and don’t miss it
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Eyes View Post
If forced to choose, the less harmonic content for a sub, the better imo. I'm not really looking for it to stand out (even on speakers that lack in the bass department) or need filtering, I'm mainly looking for it to fill in the bottom end as I find that far more useful.

Nota bene: A pure sine is ideal being that it's fundamental with no harmonics (or partials), but a triangle is a closer substitute than a square since the harmonics roll off more rapidly (even if they both have the same odd harmonics).
Personally I don't have much use for a triangle sub.
And the OB's square sub can both sound like a saw and square sub, depending on the wave position of oscillator 1.
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Addict

I had the Prophet 6 first and now own the OB-6.

They are both beautiful machines. I've sometimes been a bit harsh on the P6 because it didn't quite live up to the hype/legend, but it's a more than competent synth with the often more sought after 4 pole/24db filter meaning it is a much more direct sound. Sometimes after flying around in OB-6 land filled with fizzy/fuzzy clouds, warm liquid lakes, filter pushed ressy sweeps and bandpass atmospheres my ears crave, for a short while, that more 'normal' and direct Prophet 6 sound...

To me though the OB-6 is definitely the winner. I don't regret selling my Prophet 6, I can't ever imagine selling my OB-6.

The thing with the P6, for me, is that what it does best... so do a LOT of other synths, often even getting pretty close in software (repro), because the P6 isn't exactly organic sounding, it's a bit hard sounding and feels more compressed and locked away vs the OB-6. The OB-6 blooms and swells like analog hardware should (in my mind) and rewards me with inspiration and beautiful sound no matter if I'm doing a typical pretty pad, tinkly/delicate e-piano/synth lead, moog-ish creamy lead, or aggressive (often using the distortion + driving the VCOs hard into the filter which the P6 lacks and therefore always feels too safe) driving sounds that suddenly make that heaven machine into a devil unit... that is the OB-6.

OB-6 is god and the devil in one synth, it gets more raw/aggressive than the Prophet 6, and also gets more heavenly/beautiful. It's only in the middle (more generic/typical) ground that the Prophet sometimes betters the OB-6, and this area is where lots of synths compete... and sometimes outshine the Prophet 6, because the P6 doesn't exactly scream character or uniqueness in that middle ground. At its best it pretty much just does 'that thing you want it to do' but without any particular finesse, excitement or inspiration.

That is the exact opposite for the OB-6, which is more unruly, less strict and flies to the extremes more easily/musically.

So it's not that P6 sounds bad or anything, it can often be just what you need, but to justify its limits/cost ratio it should also SING like a biatch... and for me it never did. Just felt competent, occasionally interesting, mostly always just not quite there vs vintage synths. I think it was over tamed, restrained and tightened, sure that's a prophet thing anyway and it works great for rhythmic, harder sounds, but those types of sounds can sound pretty generic in a mix and done by almost any 24db filter synth, often in a more musical way.

Ob-6 though, nothing else sounds like it, it has some real magic, mojo and character and is a lot more flexible than the spec suggests. It's the synth that can, at a push, replace my classic mono, my bandpass capable digitals (think JD-800), and a lot of general duty analog polys from the 80s, and yeah.. it can even get into prophet areas but the P6 can't get into OB-6 areas.

The resonant filter sweeps on both show one of the biggest differences, both nice but P6 sounds OK while OB-6 sounds like one of the best of all time, the harmonics as the filter sweeps down are right up there with the best old stuff.

Lastly, I feel the P6's classic types of sounds come off like weaker/cold versions of the past, smaller, lacking in richness. OB-6 doesn't so clearly reveal its modern sound, you have to work to make the OB-6 sound less vintage but on the P6 you had to work A LOT to try to make it sound vintage/characterful (and it often couldn't). As music and inspiration is the main point of these machines, especially given their rapid hand on interfaces, I feel the OB-6 serves better in this design as the core tone, the range of the filter(s) and even the differences in the X-Mod (poly mod) section are more immediate and musical sounding.

I can definitely see why Prophet 6 is desirable to many though, I've got music here with it in and sound demos I recorded and I know the OB-6 won't be doing those sounds quite the same, so as I started with, sometimes you want that P6 sound, often for a more direct/hard sound, for me that is a lesser requirement than a synth like the OB-6 that just does everything so musically and interestingly without ever veering towards clinical like the P6 can at times.

so... OB6!
Old 22nd October 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
The magic of the prophet 6 is in its envelopes, the ob6 envelopes are very boring compared to them.. sure the ob6 has that fizzle of allot of analogs that people love, but the way the prophet has such a bubbly sound is so organic not many synths can come close. I think is foolish to say one sounds better than there other because they both are so different to me. I feel like the people that say the ob6 is better are saying this because they are looking for certain qualities and I totally see that but I don't think they are realizing the qualities of the prophet 6 because they really aren't obvious untell you really sounds time with it, like years and start to realize it goes the same places as most of my favorite synths, for instance I realize I don't really need a music easel anymore because it can nail it believe it or not... It gets closer than any other synth I've ever heard.. or soft spooky mellotron kinda sounds? I have come very close on it... The envelopes are just so expressive on it. The filter is crazy too!!
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
The magic of the prophet 6 is in its envelopes, the ob6 envelopes are very boring compared to them.. sure the ob6 has that fizzle of allot of analogs that people love, but the way the prophet has such a bubbly sound is so organic not many synths can come close. I think is foolish to say one sounds better than there other because they both are so different to me. I feel like the people that say the ob6 is better are saying this because they are looking for certain qualities and I totally see that but I don't think they are realizing the qualities of the prophet 6 because they really aren't obvious untell you really sounds time with it, like years and start to realize it goes the same places as most of my favorite synths, for instance I realize I don't really need a music easel anymore because it can nail it believe it or not... It gets closer than any other synth I've ever heard.. or soft spooky mellotron kinda sounds? I have come very close on it... The envelopes are just so expressive on it. The filter is crazy too!!
I have both synths and the prophet has just so much more thump and snap to its sound when the envelopes and filters are configured accordingly, it makes the ob6 sound kind of weak in comparison.
I thought this was mainly due to the different filters, but maybe it is also the envelopes which play a big part in it.
Old 29th October 2019
I got to spend some time with the Prophet not to long ago and I have to agree that it made my OB's envelopes seem soft. Maybe there's just more mids in the basic tone? Around 500hz-800hz.
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Head
Ive done a lot of deep diving on this subject. I have a P12 and absolutely loving it. OB6 and P6 are on the top of my list, but deciding which one to go for first is really hard. I feel like the P6 is the one I should go for first while the OB6 is the one I kinda want to pick first. The P6 feels like a very safe bet while the OB6 feels like more of a wildcard. I'll head to a store soon to try them both.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

I voted P6 cause I just never bonded with the OB6 that sat at our local guitar center for months. Every time I went in, it seemed to be missing another knob

I even tried bringing in my own headphones but it still didn’t move me. I owned a Prophet 600 in the past and own a Rev2, so I thought the OB6 would add a different flavor so I really leaned more to the OB6. However after playing a P6, that’s what I ended up buying.

I guess I’m just a sucker for the Prophet sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Yeah but when you bout to get busy you'd pick katy perry all day long bro
err, no. I'd rather take Kate Bush at 110 than that vacuous mess.

--- with hindsight after my previous post, I've come to realise I actually prefer the tone and impact of my KIWI modded JX-3P to my ex-Prophet 6 (even DCO vs VCO etc). Somehow that lowly old vintage DCO synth feels thicker, more present, more characterful, less flat, more rounded, more musical and way more interesting in an actual mix than my Prophet 6 ever did. Yeah I had the P6 for a good while and wrote/recorded songs with it, tried all the tricks with the gain to keep it in the zone etc. Understand, I'm not saying it's not a beautiful synth , and it sure can make music that'll move you emotionally, it just doesn't quite hit the analog sweet spot for me esp when I compare it's price/4 octaves to what a JX-3P+mod costs and prefer even the sound of the DCO unison on the kiwi mod (which actually sounds more like a prophet 5 unison sound than the Prophet 6 can! deeper, scary... ominous and interesting).. time and again the Prophet 6 is coming across like a flat/coated/overly modern emulation of a "prophet like" sound. It feels a bit like my ex-Rev 2 (which I hated) but beefed up little, but with still the similar tonal issues. I have NO problems with the Prophet 5 or 600 so it's not a dislike for Prophet sound.

(actually this quote from another owner of both on the DSI forums kinda explains it better than me - remember I use them in music / recording not just noodling/isolation)

Quote:
I have to confess, after 3 weeks owning both, the OB6 and the P6, I have a clear preference to the OB6. The reason why, is mainly because the OB6 fits better into my productions. The P6 somehow sounds always a bit "far away", "dull", "softer" and much less "in your face" then the OB and its more difficult to make it shine in a Mix. The Ob seems much louder as well and the P6 is clipping much faster. At least that's my experience until now.

When I play with the P6, I like what I hear. But as soon as I try to do some sounds for actual projects, I'm having troubles making the sounds shine in the Mix. With the OB I don't have those problems at all.
^This is what I found too...

I just think DSI/Sequential still can't quite hit the high watermark on tone we expect from analog, vs vintage especially, with anything they've done (nor did Moog btw not even with the "one"), and I think the reason the OB-6 sounds so good, by comparison, is almost by accident due to the hapazard mish-mash of two synth makers' tech and ideas, it's lent it something of a personality and character and reason to exist that is, imo, sorely lacking from the entire rest of their range (except maybe the new Pro 3 due to the new filters + some analog oscs, not actually played one so am just guessing they might have started to get somewhere and a POLY along those lines would be welcome).

Running through tons of sound files I recorded while I owned the Prophet 6, some are definitely nice and I find 'strident' and 'noble' (good things), while OB-6 is more natural, open and texturally interesting (also good things).

The sounds that stuck out to me that the OB-6 doesn't quite do (and there's plenty if not more the other way around) are often very dark soundscapes or harder sounds you'd expect from a 24db filter vs the 12db in the OB-6....... but then I put the JX-3P Kiwi sounds in the playlist and they somehow sound more "analog", vibrant, more punchy, more distinct and present than the Prophet 6 sounds. So the JX with its 24db IR3109 filter and the OB-6 with it's 12db Multimode seem to do well together, obviously my SH-2 comes in and dominates in its area unlike many synths this side of the Minimoog...

but the Prophet 6 sounds? they don't really feel vital, like they are needed anywhere, I mean, sure, nice if you have them and nice if you want to own that synth, or just one synth and make the best of it, the P6 is no slouch, but even after all this time when I compare them I can see the things P6 does better than OB-6 are things so many other synths do BETTER than P6 (often much cheaper too), but nothing can touch what the OB-6 does when it's putting its best foot forward! I also know the open, richer and more swimmy nature of the OB-6 works great with the analog distortion (on-board), while it makes the Prophet 6 sound overly hard/flat and harsh. Neither are perfect, I still wish Sequential would just make one monster poly with both filters and/or the new SSM one...

I also owned a Rev 2, it was very poor by comparision especially in the areas of filters, oscs and general tone... all the areas you want a synth to be good in. ALL it had going for it was excess modulation (a chore) but made for some complex sounds (which you could do in digital anyway). Analog synths really have to earn their place/cost, and I feel none of the modern Prophets quite do it for me, but the OB-6 does.

If you don't want 12db filter sounds or OB-ish tone then it won't for you, and the Prophet 6 will be great.
Old 1 week ago
Had both - sold ob6
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I've been having a crazy hard time picking between these two, read all the threads and saw all the videos. I was planning on waiting for the next Sequential announcement but with the corona virus situation I'm thinking maybe I'll snag one of these second hand if one pops up as the next announcement might very well be delayed by half a year or more. If they where to release a poly Pro 3 that should cover both P6 and OB6 territory and more. I do have a Prophet 12 so I got both a 4 pole and 2 pole filter already. It does many P6 style sounds surprisingly well once you apply the various tricks.

I'm kinda leaning against the OB-6 as I just love some of the sound demos, the sound is just crazy good. But I'm pretty much flip-flopping on a daily basis. I guess the good part is that I'll eventually grab both so it's mostly about what order I'll go. I kinda feel like if I go P6 first, the wait for the OB-6 will probably feel worse than the other way around. But I also feel like i'm not as sure how integral the OB sound will be in my music, while I feel like the P6 will fit very well. So the OB-6 is more of a mystery to me but in a good way as I know it sounds amazing but I feel like it's harder to understand/predict the full range of sounds it will deliver.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I got the P6 I love it, I never heard the OB6 but understand from threads like this that it is a crowd favorite.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrj1nx View Post
I've been having a crazy hard time picking between these two, read all the threads and saw all the videos. I was planning on waiting for the next Sequential announcement but with the corona virus situation I'm thinking maybe I'll snag one of these second hand if one pops up as the next announcement might very well be delayed by half a year or more. If they where to release a poly Pro 3 that should cover both P6 and OB6 territory and more. I do have a Prophet 12 so I got both a 4 pole and 2 pole filter already. It does many P6 style sounds surprisingly well once you apply the various tricks.

I'm kinda leaning against the OB-6 as I just love some of the sound demos, the sound is just crazy good. But I'm pretty much flip-flopping on a daily basis. I guess the good part is that I'll eventually grab both so it's mostly about what order I'll go. I kinda feel like if I go P6 first, the wait for the OB-6 will probably feel worse than the other way around. But I also feel like i'm not as sure how integral the OB sound will be in my music, while I feel like the P6 will fit very well. So the OB-6 is more of a mystery to me but in a good way as I know it sounds amazing but I feel like it's harder to understand/predict the full range of sounds it will deliver.
Do you need a "bread and butter" core synth or do you already have that covered? If you DO need one, then the P6 is one of the best modern ones you can buy. If you already have that covered, the OB-6 is a dream.

I spent some time with a friend's P6 before making the final call to the one that gave me goosebumps when I first listened to it: the OB-6.

I'm mostly ITB, and have many of the top softsynths (and then some), so didn't need a basic, core hardware synth. I was looking for a poly analog that would inspire me and had a close 1:1 knob-function ratio (Omnisphere can have a zillion functions, for example).

The OB-6 is a lot more flexible - and even punchy - than some people seem to give it credit for - some of which requires spending some goodly amount of time with it to discover it. Likewise, I've heard the P6 also requires a goodly amount of time (and don't crank up those oscillators if you want a more vintage sound!) to start to get the most out of. There's not a deep matrix of functions, but a very well-selected range that have a definite impact and interplay with the analog-ness of the synths.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Pretty much all through this video, but clearly in the first 3 minutes even I hear again why I don't miss the Prophet 6 but would absolutely miss if I sold my OB-6.

Here's the thing that hit me watching this video again tonight, how effortlessly the OB-6 does bright/high end but still sounds characterful and musical.

On the Prophet you have to open the filter way up until the sound is harsh and almost flat and pretty unemotional/uninspiring. at 7:40 for example, playing the OB-6 it sounds wide, in the room, wrapping around you... analog, bright but not harsh, clear but musically blurred.. then he moves to the P6 and it sounds like an imitation of analog, small, compressed, distant, like you're looking at it not *in* it like with the OB-6. It couldn't be any clearer to me.

This is also why having owned the P6 for around 8 months before selling and the OB-6 for well over a year with no intention to sell, I've written and recorded way more songs with the OB-6, it inspires songs, the P6 is just a tool you add to songs you've already written (I found). OB-6 can be the backbone of a song as it's so beautiful/characterful and musical sounding. I actually didn't find the P6 *much* better than the Rev 2 I had in this regard, they both felt like mechanical sound tools rather than inspiring musical instruments like the OB-6.

The OB-6 sounds glorious from full open to full closed (because something always peaks through and it doesn't sound 'harsh' when fully open because the filter is just designed to work that way).

The prophet excels in one area, darker stuff, but it doesn't outclass the OB-6 it just happens to be in its element down there. However, I again note how the Prophet (with some occasional exceptions) has to be darkened down so much to not sound harsh or unemtional than it ends up dull and small.

The OB-6, specifically the filter (even just in low pass mode) is beautiful through the entire range. Prophet 6 only sounds decent somewhere around half way +/- 15% , open it up too high and it's shrill and jarring, close it too much and it's dull and lost. Ob-6 absolutely kills it on character and musicality on the low pass filter, specifically the range it's usable in for all kinds of sounds!

Now the HP filter on the P6 is useful, even as a fake bandpass, but again once you chop the bottom off the P6 with it, the P6 sounds distant, harsh, flat. It seems while it can, on paper, do "more" it doesn't sound great doing it all. OB-6 perhaps does a little less (and I mean a little) but it sounds great doing all of it and does wilder and more emotional/characterful stuff the Prophet just doesn't. It reminds of how the JX-8P is pretty much only good at doing the 'soundtrack' pad, often a sign of a synth that isn't particularly inspiring, same with the P6 and as I found out while owning it (about 6 months in) that I just stopped turning to it for inspiration nor did I have a craving to hear its tone. It was just a machine that made sound, mostly generic sounding except in that one key area, the muted dark pad/drone that it does so well, it has that prophet character in that area for sure but anything outside of it is done way better by lots of other synths.

Partly why I sold mine was I felt for the money and the limitations it didn't do enough tone wise to earn its keep.

Why I love the Ob-6 inspite of its limitations is because I know no matter where I go on the LP filter, it has my back. The resonance on a 12db filter is just sweeter (esp during sweeps where it has the sing-song harmonics while the prophet felt constrained and stifled). True it'll never close down like a 24db filter for the more almost FM-ish tone you can coax from the P6, but if you find the OB-6 a bit too open it's very easy to cut it's top end in the mix with an EQ to get it dark yet characterful. Good luck trying to add the texture back to the P6 with its filter swamping out any detail, and again.. if left bright it doesn't have the beauty/character of the OB6's SEM filter to carve out in the mix. P6's filter is just kinda there, sounds pretty basic and tonally bland. HP on the P6 just makes it sound weak. The HP on the OB-6 turns it into a whole new synth (I don't care about the lack of self osc I rarely use that musically), sweeps in HP mode on the OB-6 would take a whole other synth to do if you only had the P6. OB-6 has a LOT more value due to having 3.5 filters in one.

The morphing filter + abilty to modulate it, between modes or even to bandpass, opens up sounds most synths can't even do let alone the very basic P6 filter. Notch may not be the best notch on the OB-6 but it does offer the ability to get essentially two different sounds at once out of one voice (because you're hearing a bit of the LP and some of the notch or some notch and some HP if you like).

Then of course you have the pure bandpass mode, I'm a big fan of bandpass sounds (like on the JD-800 and Jupiter 6) and here the OB-6 *again* adds massive value by being one of those synths that does it, with resonance and with enough detail left to be musically useful. This just wouldn't sound as beautiful with a 24db filter.

The extra control over independent PWM from the LFO (1 and 2 or 1 or 2 VCOs) vs just 'on' for both on the P6 is also nice to have.

Further, the VCOs just sound way nicer on the OB-6, not the most vintage sounding or biggest sounding, but way more vibey than the P6 (and bigger/louder and more direct). Of course it also benefits from the ability to drive into the filter which the P6 completely lacks (turn up the mixer gains on the VCOs and you just get a hard unmusical tone most times but on OB-6 it just gets even more exciting!).

Knobs on the P6 can be scratchy and I found them not so nice to interact with, too small a radius. The OB-6 knobs feel a lot better, bigger with a more granular turning circle for smoother changes, and they sit better on the pots so don't feel as cheap.

About the only thing I could say the P6 has over the OB-6 is the distortion knob on the panel rather than hidden under a keypress in the FX section on the OB-6, esp as it does sound a bit nicer on the OB-6's engine imo.

The layout also makes more sense on the OB-6, a bit haphazard on the P6.

The P6 looks smart, all the wood is nice, but the OB-6 just looks cool and not too stiff/gentlemen's club

I think if you have almost ANY other decent 24db analog polys inc old DCOs, you're gonna get more excitement, inspiration and mileage from the OB-6, especially if you prefer musical and lively over more 'stern' and static sounds. I find the prophet 6 could do with a rev2 where they loosen up the VCOs and give it a more interesting (SSI) filter.

I guess a lot of this preference will also come down to how many synths you own or have had experience of, if it's your first analog I'm sure P6 will blow your mind and last you a lifetime, but when you've heard/used/recorded so many 24db filter synths over the years, it doesn't feel like anything special at all, just a competent vanilla synth with a hint of the prophet family tone. The Ob-6 in comparison is the kind of synth even very experienced users or those with 20+ other synths will find a love for and use for in almost any music because it pulls you back again and again because of the character and unique abilities it holds with the filter combined with the 'prophet like' X-mod (poly mod) section, it's an exciting mix to have in one synth and makes the OB-6 a synth that can sit proudly by any vintage analogs and earn its place. P6 may often just come off as competent but kinda bland by comparison (except for that one small area it sounds really good in - the dark pad - and the OB-6 can do dark pads too and more musically blends the voices somehow)

Really though, I guess it is down to the user so anyone on the fence should bu both, or grab one first and see how you get on with it. They both have their fans but anecdotally I've read of far more 'dual owners' preferring the OB-6 or moving to after the P6 and being much happier. When someone sells a synth they often miss it, as some P6 ex owners have said, but I know the same and more would apply to many OB-6 owners who sold them (but less people seem to sell OB-6s than Prophet 6s so it's hard to get numbers on that! )

Yet again... 9/10 sounds just sound more musical, interesting, inspiration, emotional and even 'analog' on the OB-6. P6 is very good but that 'preciseness' is definitely done better elsewhere, other than the P6's VCOs being extremely controlled (too much), I think the blame lies with the filter. It all comes down to the fact, regardless of any other faults these synths share, that the OB-6 has one of the nicest filters ever created while the P6 just a very standard and un-characterful/dull filter. And therefore the P6 doesn't smack of value for its limits/price tag ratio, for me and many as much we call the P6 a more bread and butter synth, how many times in your music do you KEEp wanting the same old bread and butter? I want a synth to sound like a SYNTH, like the OB-6 does, not like a synth trying to sound like a pluck bass or an e-piano, esp when in music with other 'real' instruments like guitars.

I think the OB-6 has just been executed better, more thoughtfully and more excitingly. The P6 is more "lets throw some VCOs in a box with a generic filter and stick a Prophet badge on it and see what happens". They learned from that and made a much better *analog* synth with the later OB-6, as I'm sure if they do eventually release another VCO poly it'll no doubt be improved again over the OB-6.

and lastly here's yet another dual owners take on why the OB-6 was the keeper, again echoing mine and many other's opinion. And I really do 'get' the 'workhorse' quality of the Prophet 6 but the OB-6 is also a workhorse in its own way, but a workhorse of quality tone (regardless of genre) due to its amazing sound, while the P6 is more a workhorse just based on having the standard synth setup (24b filter namely) but it really doesn't connect emotionally with many of us esp with so much other, better, 24db filtered competition..

from: https://forum.sequential.com/index.p....html#msg13958

Quote:

So, I've also owned both the P6 and the OB-6. Here is my analysis between these two lovely synths.

I first owned the P6 due to its heritage, history, and known sonic waves that takes you back to the 70s-80s era. The P6 does sound gorgeous and provides a lot of versatility to manipulate sound waves. But here is where the P6 fell short with me.

First, I could not connect with the sound, emotionally. This is a where most of people's creativity comes from in terms of music. I now understand and feel the way other P6 owners felt. I tried loving the P6, but the more I chased it the more she was running from me.

Second, the sound. It's not dry, it's not loud and in-your-face, but just sits in the middle. In an odd middle too. It's almost as if the P6 sound doesn't know where to fit in. It tries, but you're constantly fighting the sound to get it finessed in order to fit into mixes. And it gets frustrating fighting the sounds when it should be working with you effortlessly.

Third, the QC issues with the knobs. Yes, they are "wonkie" when you turn them. Yes, the knobs are "loose" to "extremely loose" all over the board. I even posted a video on youtube demonstrating the inconsistency in knobs across the board. This is a major concern for me as it is a known problem and I'm not sure how the knobs will last decades down the road. There should be consistency and reliability in a $3K synth and I felt the P6 fell short in that area.

However, I love the wood all around the P6! It's much better than the OB-6 metal font piece. The OB-6 should have incorporated a wood piece across the bottom with the Tom Oberheim signature engraved on the right side and the OB-6 logo engraved on the left side. Sure, this would have been a bit more money. But the OB-6 is a ONE TIME hybrid masterpiece with the holy grail of synth heads collaborating. This synth should have gone beyond normal into something special! This is not a normal or average synth! And Dave Smith should have recognized that!

Now, onto the OB-6.......

The reason behind me picking up the OB-6 is because of ALL the raving reviews that are out there claiming, in its own way, much better than the P6. So, I battled myself daily, lost sleep, prowled YouTube every minute of every day. I became so obsessed it was ridiculous. Not good being a GearSlut. Anyway, I went to Guitar Center, tried it out, couldn't really tell at the store with the crap monitors connected to it, so I ended up bringing it home.

First, I am not a fan of the blue stripes and the new layout. However, the blue stripes grew on me. I now love the layout, knobs, and the stripes on the OB-6 much more than the P6. The OB-6 I feel, in many ways, should have been the P6 (especially with the knobs and logical layout). Maybe not from a sound perspective, but definitely with the layout of the effects, filters, etc. If you look at the Prophet~5, then you'll notice the P6 has the same knobs, but skinnier. I think Dave Smith should have kept the knobs thicker on the P6.

Secondly, the sounds. Wow! Talk about not chasing after the girl that always rejects you (P6). The OB-6 is soooooo inviting. The sounds connect with me on an emotional level. So much so that I am very inspired with this synth. I couldn't say the same about the P6. The sounds can either stand out in a mix of other sounds, sit in the middle, or be tucked behind other sounds. It truly has an identity in my music. It's not the oddball trying to fit-in. The sounds work with me when programming and not against me. It's truly a personal connection being made between me and the synth. NEVER had that with the P6 (actually made me sad).

Also, the sounds on the OB-6 can be best described as: The P6 is the synth that rides the wave or hides under the wave, while the OB-6 is the synth to either disrupt the waves, ride with the waves, or PUNCH through the waves.

Third, KNOWING the music your making really makes a difference on choosing the P6 or the OB-6. From my take, and experience, the OB-6 is more for contemporary EDM, trance, psychedelic, somewhat relaxed, pop, hip-hop, r&b, soft rock, funk, alternative, and similar genres. The P6 is more geared towards psychadelic, relaxed, funk, movie-based music, and similar genres.

I feel that I can do more with the OB-6 because of its ability to have an identity within the music (regardless of genre). The P6 is much darker, which is fine in its own respect, but it does not provide the sonic waves to really get the crowd moving as a single instrument (which I think a lot of people expect when buying a P6 and contributes to the connection not being made between the P6 and its owner). Put it this way, the OB-6 is more for upbeat music that will keep you wanting more. Interesting to the ears. The sounds have more vibrant emotions. Whereas the P6 is more for mellowed out music that can get a bit repetitive or boring after some time.

It's important to know your music type and why you need or want the synth. Based on my stressful, anxious, experience with these two amazing synths this is why I chose the OB-6 as my keeper. The P6 has a place, but I believe it has its own respective place within music. If I was able to justify keeping the P6 with the OB-6 then I would've had an awesome setup. But the justification wasn't there so I got rid of the P6 for NOW..... Maybe I'll rethink down the line. But I think the OB-6 could be better paired with the Arturia MatrixBrute or another mono/para synth without that Dave Smith sound.

Would the P6 compliment the OB-6? Absolutely! Two very different sounds that target very different parts of a soundtrack. But if you can justify the price of having both, then have at it!

I hope this proves useful to some of you out there banging your heads around this important, but personal, decision. What moved me the most into getting the OB-6 was someone that stated, "The OB-6 can take you places that the P6 cannot, but the OB-6 can go to every place the P6 can." This was the motivating factor (plus, who doesn't want the best of both worlds?!?).

(ignore lobo lives on that forum btw he misses the mark so often it's not funny)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
(ignore lobo lives on that forum btw he misses the mark so often it's not funny)
I've only managed to skim through some of your ranting because you miss the mark so often it's not funny. For the record, I sold my OB-6 to fund a P6 and don't have regrets about that decision. Not because I don't think the OB-6 is great in its own right, but because I personally find the P6 to be more "musical." The problem is entirely on the users end if they can't get the P6 to sound amazing with ease.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The same guy made another video

The P6 sounds full and sweet, and the OB6 sounds hollow and bright in direct comparison.
At least, the way he tries to match the sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
The same guy made another video

The P6 sounds full and sweet, and the OB6 sounds hollow and bright in direct comparison.
At least, the way he tries to match the sound.
Man, you're obsessed, it's a crusade!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

From the time I spent on the P6 after I got my OB-6...I think Geosynths analogy between the two is accurate...IMO you like one there's nothing to really hate about the other....P6 is more tame and polite, OB-6 is more rebel. I don't think there's wild enough difference(even though they definitely have their own character) to hate one and love the other so passionately.

For me the choice was easy, OB-6 all the way...but I'd like the P6 as well.....but I'd choose a 2nd OB-6 before I got a P6.....but I don't hate the damn thing lol....not enough for a pissing contest.
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Nah.. p6 can get nasty.. is just not as fizzy and more mid range.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just agreeing with GEO that's what I found as well, and OB FIZZ is a good thing...gotta have it!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timewalk View Post
I got the P6 I love it, I never heard the OB6 but understand from threads like this that it is a crowd favorite.
I don’t think so. I bet there’s a fairly even split with a lot of people opting for both. I think if I had the room, both would be my choice as well, but I don’t really... unless I put one under my desk and that seems a shame for such a sweet interface. I ended up opting for the Prophet 6, Prophet 08 REV2, Pro 2 and Prophet 12, so I do have access to the OB-6 filters, though with DSP oscillators and only 4 voice paraphony. I sort of feel like that’s enough... of Dave, at least.

I thought many times about swapping the Prophet 6 with the OB-6, but I’ve never been able to conclusively decide which one I like more. I lean on the two separate filters quite a bit, and I think I’d miss that in the OB, so I stick to what I have. I also have no opinion of vintage vs modern, and I think people who love the OB a lot more like it because it comes closer to a vintage sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Filthy. Lean on that poly mod section, use both filters to set up a band pass, touch of distortion, and that thing can shred.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I lean on the two separate filters quite a bit, and I think I’d miss that in the OB
It's not missing something really it's just different....Modulating the variable filter and the different filter modes is something special IMO. I really think they both have their own thing going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Filthy. Lean on that poly mod section, use both filters to set up a band pass, touch of distortion, and that thing can shred.
No one is saying it can't, just how much it can compared to the OB-6(which manages to do it and still keep it....hard to describe "pleasing")
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search