The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland MC-202 users, unite!
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a commercial mod to bring the MC-202 into the XXI century?
Yes, count me in! I would pay gladly
84 Votes - 88.42%
I'm okay with what there is right now, not spending more money.
11 Votes - 11.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 week ago
  #211
Lives for gear
 

good man, he knows what he likez
slight overkill though. that's what you call 'stock'. (in case of world shortage of mc202)
you can do surprising things with multiple 202s. they just generate stuff when combined.

i would still like to hear about the crossover switch for swapping sequencer channels. suppose that's fairly simple, with a 2x2 matrix switching coming out of the sequencer somewhere.

without wishing to be negative, i was very not-interested in the Manther once i'd seen a few videos. the tubbutec *could* be interesting, but not if he f***s around with the original intent, and tries to turn it into something else.

simple remit there: implement pattern memories, variable lengths - like an augmented 303 - with backlit LCD somewhere along the line. roland-style song mode, really simple assembly of patterns; maybe some form of pattern play flexibility, and improvement of pitch/time/acc/porta implementation.
don't go too mad with it. pay attention to the classic roland observation of time signatures and stuff like that.

it's an extra cost i would envisage entrusting to a tech, as i'm considering getting all the 'modular' mods done that way. and the channel-switching wouldn't conflict.
Old 1 week ago
  #212
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteefoster View Post
Tubbutec posted another update to Instagram today. This one’s a big deal... Apparently he’s got drum sounds+sequencer in there!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2MgGn7gdz3/
Sick!
Old 1 week ago
  #213
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
without wishing to be negative, i was very not-interested in the Manther once i'd seen a few videos. the tubbutec *could* be interesting, but not if he f***s around with the original intent, and tries to turn it into something else.

simple remit there: implement pattern memories, variable lengths - like an augmented 303 - with backlit LCD somewhere along the line. roland-style song mode, really simple assembly of patterns; maybe some form of pattern play flexibility, and improvement of pitch/time/acc/porta implementation.
don't go too mad with it. pay attention to the classic roland observation of time signatures and stuff like that.

it's an extra cost i would envisage entrusting to a tech, as i'm considering getting all the 'modular' mods done that way. and the channel-switching wouldn't conflict.
That's why I'm a big advocate for separate 'original' and 'advanced' modes. 'Original' would be a straight up implementation of the original sequencer, warts (and spreadsheet) required -- using the new display to aid you in where you are in the sequence. This mode would also include the shorter-sequence-waits-for-longer-sequence-to-finish mode (because someone probably needs it).

'Advanced' would be a more straight up and immediate SH-101 style sequencer except with two simultaneous sequences which can be of different lengths (one sequence doesn't wait). It would be amazing to be able to do polyrhythmic or polymetric sequences using different lengths or clock divisions but that may be asking for too much.

All you need are the missing noise and LFO waveforms, which in theory could be implemented in software. Tubbutec has added a separate S&H LFO to the Polysix and Mono/Poly that's switchable and controllable over MIDI, for example.
Old 1 week ago
  #214
Lives for gear
 

tbh i have not thought about it a lot, because of the horror of doing such a fundamental mod to a beloved 202.

one of the difficult things about the 202 is having to redo the timing, after - ? i've forgotten which. sequence input can be so painstaking if you're trying to do something precise that having to input it again is a drag. i was comparing with the ease of using my TT-303, where i can change Time easily. i need to pull out the 202 and really practice on it, actually.

and i could live with that difficulty, if only i had ... s***loads of patterns.
i don't even mind too much that the shorter sequence channel waits when the other one is longer. obviously not ideal in all situations, but why not have a little gap in the 'on&on&on&on' ...

if anyone has any inspiration for the channel swapping switch, please post.
Old 1 week ago
  #215
Lives for gear
 
the_soulcatcher's Avatar
where's the MC-202 clone on steroids?
Old 1 week ago
  #216
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Omg

Quote:
Tubbutec on Instagram: “#mc2oh2”



12 Likes, 0 Comments - Tubbutec (@tubbutec) on Instagram: “#mc2oh2”
Old 1 week ago
  #217
Gear Addict
 
cletus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Omg
Welp, I'm sold on it. Time to get another MC-202 before the prices skyrocket (even more)...
Old 1 week ago
  #218
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Omg
Looks like they've added a third sequencer channel (MIDI only? Or doubles up on one of the existing CV/gate outs?). Very cool.
Old 1 week ago
  #219
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Looks like they've added a third sequencer channel (MIDI only? Or doubles up on one of the existing CV/gate outs?). Very cool.
Yes, it looks like cv 1 and 2 are internal/external and a third drum sequencer over midi, though everything can be midi as well, as din ports can be configured for full midi. Exciting times.
Old 1 week ago
  #220
Lives for gear
 

drums? well i'm kinda shocked. somebody please explain.
(i've got my dinsync modded dr-110 for that. da bomb for little accompaniment mc202 thing) (tchaaa - tooth-suck)
Old 1 week ago
  #221
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Also, new replacement for the panel board. I assume optional. Nice!
Quote:
Tubbutec on Instagram: “#mc2oh2 panel board replacement. Advantages: OLED + No gh



“#mc2oh2 panel board replacement. Advantages: OLED + No ghost notes (one diode per button)…”
Old 1 week ago
  #222
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
drums? well i'm kinda shocked. somebody please explain.
(i've got my dinsync modded dr-110 for that. da bomb for little accompaniment mc202 thing) (tchaaa - tooth-suck)
Sorry, don’t mean to thread jack. Who did your dr-110 mod? Been meaning to mod mine for a spell but haven’t gotten around to it. I do see tubbutec has that unipulse piece.
Old 1 week ago
  #223
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner View Post
Sorry, don’t mean to thread jack. Who did your dr-110 mod? Been meaning to mod mine for a spell but haven’t gotten around to it. I do see tubbutec has that unipulse piece.
i did
i fitted the Circuitbender Dinsync kit. bit scary but i made it through.
made rather a neat job of it, though i say so meself.

next up - wherein i destroy all attempts to preserve original housing and jacket - is a midi kit i got from Lynxwave ( which is supposed to give extra midi notes/sounds, and velocity/accent). so at that point, i might as well go the whole hog and try to do all the sound mods at the old resonant frequency site (if that's what it was called).

but just with the CB mods, it's a nice little tik-tish machine to accompany the mc202 while you messaround programming it.
Old 1 week ago
  #224
Gear Addict
 
cletus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
you can do surprising things with multiple 202s. they just generate stuff when combined..
If you'd be so kind, I'd like to hear more about this especially with how Tubbutec Mod might enhance a 2x202 setup?
Old 1 week ago
  #225
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
If you'd be so kind, I'd like to hear more about this especially with how Tubbutec Mod might enhance a 2x202 setup?
you have each 202's part, with 2 sequence channels. if one channel's sequence is shorter, it waits for the longer one to end. but you can't swap channels whilst running. that's why the channel-swap mod is interesting.
don't know where the tubbutec mod is going. seems to be beyond having patterns.
Old 1 week ago
  #226
Gear Addict
 
cletus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
you have each 202's part, with 2 sequence channels. if one channel's sequence is shorter, it waits for the longer one to end. but you can't swap channels whilst running. that's why the channel-swap mod is interesting.
don't know where the tubbutec mod is going. seems to be beyond having patterns.
Ok thank you—so if I’m tracking correctly this could be used for polyrhythmic pattern generation?

Anything else cool you could think of with 2x202 setup?

Also, anyone know if the Tubbutec mod replaces the internal clock of the 202?

Idk why just have this desire to use the natural swing of the 202 as a master clock but still retain the mod features.
Old 1 week ago
  #227
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
Ok thank you—so if I’m tracking correctly this could be used for polyrhythmic pattern generation?
More for polymetric patterns.

Polymeter = tempo is the same between two sequences (ie both 202's on the same clock) but the accenting and sequence lengths are different, so the two sequences get out of sync with regards to their start and ends.

Polyrhythm = tempo is different between two sequences but both sequences take the same amount of time to complete, ie 3/4 layered on top of 4/4.

Quote:
Anything else cool you could think of with 2x202 setup?
Polyrhythms are still possible but harder to implement because you need a way to generate a second clock for the other time signature. For 3/4 on top of 4/4 you need an overall clock that's doing 12/4 in the same timeframe and from there you can pick your individual 3/4 and 4/4 clock events. I do this using an EHX Clockworks pedal but there are eurorack solutions as well.

What would be cool is the ability to do polyrhythms and polymeter in situ on the 202 without the need for second sequencer or clock divider, ie be able to pick either a different length for channel 2 or keep the same length as channel 1 but change the clock division.

Quote:
Also, anyone know if the Tubbutec mod replaces the internal clock of the 202?

Idk why just have this desire to use the natural swing of the 202 as a master clock but still retain the mod features.
Is there something special in regard to the 202's clock timing? I don't detect a natural swing when I'm using it as a master, at least not as much as some other clocks: eg. The CR-78 definitely has a slight groove to it's clock but I think that's actually not intentional -- I think they wanted a rock solid clock and this was a best compromise in the late 70s (the clock is 12ppqn which is lower resolution than pretty much every Roland clock that came after it). I think later Roland clocks became more precise (eg 24ppqn) as technology got better and cheaper.

That said, from what I can see on the MC202 schematic of the digital board the onboard clock has it's own oscillator and is generated separately from the main CPU so the upgrade shouldn't interfere with it.
Old 1 week ago
  #228
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
More for polymetric patterns.

Polymeter = tempo is the same between two sequences (ie both 202's on the same clock) but the accenting and sequence lengths are different, so the two sequences get out of sync with regards to their start and ends.

Polyrhythm = tempo is different between two sequences but both sequences take the same amount of time to complete, ie 3/4 layered on top of 4/4.

Polyrhythms are still possible but harder to implement because you need a way to generate a second clock for the other time signature. For 3/4 on top of 4/4 you need an overall clock that's doing 12/4 in the same timeframe and from there you can pick your individual 3/4 and 4/4 clock events. I do this using an EHX Clockworks pedal but there are eurorack solutions as well.

What would be cool is the ability to do polyrhythms and polymeter in situ on the 202 without the need for second sequencer or clock divider, ie be able to pick either a different length for channel 2 or keep the same length as channel 1 but change the clock division.

Is there something special in regard to the 202's clock timing? I don't detect a natural swing when I'm using it as a master, at least not as much as some other clocks: eg. The CR-78 definitely has a slight groove to it's clock but I think that's actually not intentional -- I think they wanted a rock solid clock and this was a best compromise in the late 70s (the clock is 12ppqn which is lower resolution than pretty much every Roland clock that came after it). I think later Roland clocks became more precise (eg 24ppqn) as technology got better and cheaper.

That said, from what I can see on the MC202 schematic of the digital board the onboard clock has it's own oscillator and is generated separately from the main CPU so the upgrade shouldn't interfere with it.
thanks for explaining all that, Rob. i don't even think of things like that.

Last edited by whatever17; 1 week ago at 05:43 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #229
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post

without wishing to be negative, i was very not-interested in the Manther once i'd seen a few videos. the tubbutec *could* be interesting, but not if he f***s around with the original intent, and tries to turn it into something else.

simple remit there: implement pattern memories, variable lengths - like an augmented 303 - with backlit LCD somewhere along the line. roland-style song mode, really simple assembly of patterns; maybe some form of pattern play flexibility, and improvement of pitch/time/acc/porta implementation.
don't go too mad with it. pay attention to the classic roland observation of time signatures and stuff like that.
Yes, i hope he is going the sh1oh1 Route.. improving workflow but Not changing the Basic concept... live edit, pattern length, maybe with a visual counter in the display which shows how much space is left to complete eg a 32 step pattern which would make life easier with random note length entry.. and of course pattern storage.. that would basically be all I'd wish for. Add ons like a randomizer or pattern reverse stuff is cool too but not really needed.. ssme as a second env or things like that, cool but I'd be happy with the focus being on bringing the sequencer in the 21st century but keeping it's charm..
Old 1 week ago
  #230
Gear Head
 
tubbutec's Avatar
 

Hi

since there is a lot of speculation here (some of it remarkably close to truth) I thought I'd 'leak' some info. MC-2oh2 is still in development, so things might change, but this is the basic concept:

This list is far from complete and I will add to it when questions arise or changes are being made.

Sequencer:
-----------

The new sequencer is similar to the 1oh1 sequencer, with some features added:
  • Step based. Clock divider can be set to 16th, 8th, 3/16th, ...
  • Notes can have shorter lengths, but will always stay in the timing grid.
  • Each note can also have the following attributes:
    • Accent
    • Filter Accent
    • Noise Accent (see below)
    • Portamento
    • 4 different lengths
    • Portamento on same pitched notes creates longer notes..
    • Any combination of the above
    • Or rest
  • The pattern editor can delete notes and insert new notes
  • Patterns can play forward, backward, ping pong and random
  • You can program up to 32 patterns, each up to 64 notes long
  • Patterns can be copied and edited
  • Patterns can be chained to a song. Songs can be programmed live, even while an other song is playing.
  • now it gets interesting
  • Each of the three channels (A,B and drums) has its own independent sequencer, patterns and songs. You can start, stop and edit each channel independently. Of course patterns can have different lengths, so polyrythms are possible. But you can also use this to have e.g. a 16 note melody and 64 note baseline.
  • Sequencer data can be saved in EEPROM and recalled. Different 'sets' are possible.
  • When playing sequences, you can also add modifiers (Accent, etc.) live
  • Song/Pattern start synced to bar start

Playing
-------
  • You can play on the internal keyboard, via midi or via external CV/Gate.
  • You can add modifiers (accent, etc) when playing as well
  • Internal keyboard can be transposes up and down to cover the whole 5 octave range



Analog
-------
  • Additional noise waveform triggerable in the sequencer
  • additional Filter LFO, ADSR and ACCENT
  • midi filter control
  • LFO, ADSR and midi control for PW (pulse width)
  • Software controlled direct CV (routes CV-in to the VCO directly)
  • Tape in is trigger input
  • Optional support for microtuning via an

Midi
------
  • Midi in and out using the existing DIN-connectors
  • DIN in and out function remains
  • Sysex dump of sequencer data
  • control: filter cutoff, pw, additional LFOs and ADSRs, accent parameters, etc.
  • Midi note on/off (obviously)
  • Midi clock input
  • Midi output on different channels supports sequencer notes, as well as a channel for the internal keyboard)

Clock
-----
  • Clock sources: DIN-Sync, Midi-Sync trigger
  • Conversion from midi to din and din to midi
  • mast and slave modes with bpm detection

Display
------
An optional OLED display replacement will be offered. The display module replaces the button pcb and also has the advantage of better button behavior. The original button board creates 'ghost presses' if more than 2 buttons are pressed, this is not an issue with the new board.

The OLED displays a lot more info than the LCD could ever do. Pattern lengths, song lengths and positions and so on. You can see this in the videos posted above.

Installation
-----------
MC-2oh2 replaces the original CPU. This is a 1mm pitch SMD chip. Replacing it requires some SMD skill and tools, but is surprisingly simple. We will provide detailed instructions and a video. Most synths techs will be able to do this and we will arrange a list of qualified techs around the world.

Last edited by tubbutec; 1 week ago at 12:40 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #231
Gear Head
 
dnigrin's Avatar
 

Wow! Super excited!!

Dan Nigrin / Defective Records / https://defectiverecords.com
Cyclic, M185 & Klee Sequencers / MC-4, MC-202 and DSX Hacks / Audio Plugin & General MIDI Players

Last edited by dnigrin; 1 week ago at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Added .sig
Old 1 week ago
  #232
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbutec View Post
Hi

since there is a lot of speculation here (some of it remarkably close to truth) I thought I'd 'leak' some info. MC-2oh2 is still in development, so things might change, but this is the basic concept:

This list is far from complete and I will add to it when questions arise or changes are being made.

Sequencer:
-----------

The new sequencer is similar to the 1oh1 sequencer, with some features added:
  • Step based. Clock divider can be set to 16th, 8th, 3/16th, ...
  • Notes can have shorter lengths, but will always stay in the timing grid.
  • Each note can also have the following attributes:
    • Accent
    • Filter Accent
    • Noise Accent (see below)
    • Portamento
    • 4 different lengths
    • Portamento on same pitched notes creates longer notes..
    • Any combination of the above
    • Or rest
  • The pattern editor can delete notes and insert new notes
  • Patterns can play forward, backward, ping pong and random
  • You can program up to 32 patterns, each up to 64 notes long
  • Patterns can be copied and edited
  • Patterns can be chained to a song. Songs can be programmed live, even while an other song is playing.
  • now it gets interesting
  • Each of the three channels (A,B and drums) has its own independent sequencer, patterns and songs. You can start, stop and edit each channel independently. Of course patterns can have different lengths, so polyrythms are possible. But you can also use this to have e.g. a 16 note melody and 64 note baseline.
  • Sequencer data can be saved in EEPROM and recalled. Different 'sets' are possible.
  • When playing sequences, you can also add modifiers (Accent, etc.) live
  • Song/Pattern start synced to bar start

Playing
-------
  • You can play on the internal keyboard, via midi or via external CV/Gate.
  • You can add modifiers (accent, etc) when playing as well
  • Internal keyboard can be transposes up and down to cover the whole 5 octave range



Analog
-------
  • Additional noise waveform triggerable in the sequencer
  • additional Filter LFO, ADSR and ACCENT
  • midi filter control
  • LFO, ADSR and midi control for PW (pulse width)
  • Software controlled direct CV (routes CV-in to the VCO directly)
  • Tape in is trigger input
  • Optional support for microtuning via an

Midi
------
  • Midi in and out using the existing DIN-connectors
  • DIN in and out function remains
  • Sysex dump of sequencer data
  • control: filter cutoff, pw, additional LFOs and ADSRs, accent parameters, etc.
  • Midi note on/off (obviously)
  • Midi clock input
  • Midi output on different channels supports sequencer notes, as well as a channel for the internal keyboard)

Clock
-----
  • Clock sources: DIN-Sync, Midi-Sync trigger
  • Conversion from midi to din and din to midi
  • mast and slave modes with bpm detection

Display
------
An optional OLED display replacement will be offered. The display module replaces the button pcb and also has the advantage of better button behavior. The original button board creates 'ghost presses' if more than 2 buttons are pressed, this is not an issue with the new board.

The OLED displays a lot more info than the LCD could ever do. Pattern lengths, song lengths and positions and so on. You can see this in the videos posted above.

Installation
-----------
MC-2oh2 replaces the original CPU. This is a 1mm pitch SMD chip. Replacing it requires some SMD skill and tools, but is surprisingly simple. We will provide detailed instructions and a video. Most synths techs will be able to do this and we will arrange a list of qualified techs around the world.
Sounds nice and while opening the sequencing in the 202 it might also be well suited as sequencer for external gear, looking forward to it

P.S.: I might Need a second 2oh2 :D
Old 1 week ago
  #233
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
I was an early customer to get Toby's magnificent SH1oh1 CPU fitted - it is absolutely fantastic. Not had a single bug or error with it and I've been using it for 4 years now - it adds something really new, without ever getting in the way of the original
Old 1 week ago
  #234
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbutec View Post

Sequencer:
-----------

The new sequencer is similar to the 1oh1 sequencer, with some features added:
  • now it gets interesting
  • Each of the three channels (A,B and drums) has its own independent sequencer, patterns and songs. You can start, stop and edit each channel independently. Of course patterns can have different lengths, so polyrythms are possible. But you can also use this to have e.g. a 16 note melody and 64 note baseline.
  • Sequencer data can be saved in EEPROM and recalled. Different 'sets' are possible.
  • When playing sequences, you can also add modifiers (Accent, etc.) live

Playing
-------
  • You can add modifiers (accent, etc) when playing as well


Analog
-------
  • Additional noise waveform triggerable in the sequencer
  • additional Filter LFO, ADSR and ACCENT
  • midi filter control
  • LFO, ADSR and midi control for PW (pulse width)
  • Software controlled direct CV (routes CV-in to the VCO directly)
  • Tape in is trigger input

Midi
------
  • control: filter cutoff, pw, additional LFOs and ADSRs, accent parameters, etc.
Wow. The third "Drums" channel is certainly living up to it's name.

With the points I've quoted above this really turns the 'original groovebox' into the modern definition of the word. The per step noise, accents, ADSR and other goodies are perfect for creating analog drums in a fashion very similar to P-locks. Of course the 202 itself is monotimbral but with some careful and clever programming this isn't as much a limitation as it seems.

Plus the ability to sequence other drum machines over MIDI. I was already planning to use the UniPulse to MIDI upgrade my CR-78 and the 2oh2 is a perfect way to trigger it.

Good stuff.
Old 6 days ago
  #235
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbutec View Post
Hi

[*] Each of the three channels (A,B and drums)
ok. i'm still a bit freaked out. so here's my 'doh' question: it's monophonic. so how can it have a drum part? i watched the instagram vid but it didn't make much sense to me. i know 101/202 etc. can synthesize a fair range on analogue percussion sounds. or is this coming from some other sound source, controlled by the 2oh2 ?
Old 6 days ago
  #236
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
ok. i'm still a bit freaked out. so here's my 'doh' question: it's monophonic. so how can it have a drum part? i watched the instagram vid but it didn't make much sense to me. i know 101/202 etc. can synthesize a fair range on analogue percussion sounds. or is this coming from some other sound source, controlled by the 2oh2 ?
I'm pretty sure in the instagram vid it's controlling another drum sound source over MIDI. However if you make the 3rd sequencer channel trigger the analog parts of the 202 then you've got yourself a nifty analog drum machine. It would be fairly easy to program drum hits on some sequencer steps (especially with the per-step nature of the noise, ADSR, LFOs, filter, accent, etc.) and bass or lead notes on other steps.

One potentially interesting aspect of this upgrade is the noise, extra LFO and ADSR aren't strictly part of the analogue synth -- they are digitally implemented additions** so the noise source could in theory be triggered and shaped differently than say a bass note from the analog synth played on the same step. In that sesne you may not be wholly monophonic -- probably more accurate to say it's paraphonic.


**The new noise source could in fact be analog, but it's still an independant oscillator from the main CEM 3340.
Old 6 days ago
  #237
Lives for gear
 

(making me think i'm definitely keeping my dinsync DR-110 and modding it more)
(hehe found an old taiwan-generic (Phonic) analog console in the bins today, loads of 50k and 100k pots, and a full BBD delay unit onboard, plus 2 VUs )
Old 5 days ago
  #238
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbutec View Post
Hi

since there is a lot of speculation here (some of it remarkably close to truth) I thought I'd 'leak' some info. MC-2oh2 is still in development, so things might change, but this is the basic concept:

This list is far from complete and I will add to it when questions arise or changes are being made.

Sequencer:
-----------

The new sequencer is similar to the 1oh1 sequencer, with some features added:
  • Step based. Clock divider can be set to 16th, 8th, 3/16th, ...
  • Notes can have shorter lengths, but will always stay in the timing grid.
  • Each note can also have the following attributes:
    • Accent
    • Filter Accent
    • Noise Accent (see below)
    • Portamento
    • 4 different lengths
    • Portamento on same pitched notes creates longer notes..
    • Any combination of the above
    • Or rest
  • The pattern editor can delete notes and insert new notes
  • Patterns can play forward, backward, ping pong and random
  • You can program up to 32 patterns, each up to 64 notes long
  • Patterns can be copied and edited
  • Patterns can be chained to a song. Songs can be programmed live, even while an other song is playing.
  • now it gets interesting
  • Each of the three channels (A,B and drums) has its own independent sequencer, patterns and songs. You can start, stop and edit each channel independently. Of course patterns can have different lengths, so polyrythms are possible. But you can also use this to have e.g. a 16 note melody and 64 note baseline.
  • Sequencer data can be saved in EEPROM and recalled. Different 'sets' are possible.
  • When playing sequences, you can also add modifiers (Accent, etc.) live
  • Song/Pattern start synced to bar start

Playing
-------
  • You can play on the internal keyboard, via midi or via external CV/Gate.
  • You can add modifiers (accent, etc) when playing as well
  • Internal keyboard can be transposes up and down to cover the whole 5 octave range



Analog
-------
  • Additional noise waveform triggerable in the sequencer
  • additional Filter LFO, ADSR and ACCENT
  • midi filter control
  • LFO, ADSR and midi control for PW (pulse width)
  • Software controlled direct CV (routes CV-in to the VCO directly)
  • Tape in is trigger input
  • Optional support for microtuning via an

Midi
------
  • Midi in and out using the existing DIN-connectors
  • DIN in and out function remains
  • Sysex dump of sequencer data
  • control: filter cutoff, pw, additional LFOs and ADSRs, accent parameters, etc.
  • Midi note on/off (obviously)
  • Midi clock input
  • Midi output on different channels supports sequencer notes, as well as a channel for the internal keyboard)

Clock
-----
  • Clock sources: DIN-Sync, Midi-Sync trigger
  • Conversion from midi to din and din to midi
  • mast and slave modes with bpm detection

Display
------
An optional OLED display replacement will be offered. The display module replaces the button pcb and also has the advantage of better button behavior. The original button board creates 'ghost presses' if more than 2 buttons are pressed, this is not an issue with the new board.

The OLED displays a lot more info than the LCD could ever do. Pattern lengths, song lengths and positions and so on. You can see this in the videos posted above.

Installation
-----------
MC-2oh2 replaces the original CPU. This is a 1mm pitch SMD chip. Replacing it requires some SMD skill and tools, but is surprisingly simple. We will provide detailed instructions and a video. Most synths techs will be able to do this and we will arrange a list of qualified techs around the world.
I think this is far beyond anyone's expectations. Simply, BRAVO.

Questions:

- There's two different board revisions, an early one with the LCD driver in an add-on board and a later one with the LCD driver integrated in the switch board. Will the new switch board/screen be compatible with both revisions? I hope so cause I have the early one. I'm attaching pics of both for other users to see.

-[*] You can program up to 32 patterns, each up to 64 notes long - Is this shared between all three channels or per channel? If shared this looks way too short I think but I'd understand memory limitations, what can you do.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland MC-202 users, unite!-roland_mc-202_main_pcb_ss__studiorepair_15020901_1503032158.jpg   Roland MC-202 users, unite!-roland_mc-202_pcb_ss__studiorepair_09062502_0908135110.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
  #239
Gear Head
 
tubbutec's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
I think this is far beyond anyone's expectations. Simply, BRAVO.
- There's two different board revisions, an early one with the LCD driver in an add-on board and a later one with the LCD driver integrated in the switch board. Will the new switch board/screen be compatible with both revisions? I hope so cause I have the early one. I'm attaching pics of both for other users to see.
The extra board in your first picture is not in my understanding the display driver, but rather an afterthought 'clock delay board' that was later Incorporated into the main board. Your switch board should still have the lcd driver..


Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
-[*] You can program up to 32 patterns, each up to 64 notes long - Is this shared between all three channels or per channel? If shared this looks way too short I think but I'd understand memory limitations, what can you do.

No, this is per channel. So essentially 64 notes * 32 patterns * 3 channels = 6144 notes. these can be arranged in 1 song / channel with 32 patterns each (maybe more)
Old 5 days ago
  #240
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbutec View Post
The extra board in your first picture is not in my understanding the display driver, but rather an afterthought 'clock delay board' that was later Incorporated into the main board. Your switch board should still have the lcd driver..
Oh interesting. I'll look further into this and see what the service notes says. Would it interfere in some kind of way with the mod?

Quote:
No, this is per channel. So essentially 64 notes * 32 patterns * 3 channels = 6144 notes. these can be arranged in 1 song / channel with 32 patterns each (maybe more)
Great news.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump