The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dreamy pad sounds Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th June 2017
Here for the gear

Dreamy pad sounds

Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I'd like to ask you all for some tips and tricks for how to create certain synth pads.

The sound I'm going for is ambient, chill and dreamy (like the pad in the song "fallingforyou" by "the 1975", or the intro pad in "where the strets have no name" by "U2".

I'm currently using fm8 software but will receive a Roland Gaia later this week. I'm still pretty new to synth programming so please, give me your best advices!! Thank you.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Guru

The key to this is the reverb, first and foremost.

As a starting point, I would choose "Daedalus II" in the factory preset list, and add reverb in the Effects panel. To increase the time the sound needs to reach full volume, go to the Easy panel, and turn up the A and R sliders in the "Amplitude Envelope".
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

If you mean something like in my mp3 example below.
It is a supersaw plus a pulse wave, passed through a 12dB band pass filter.
That kind of filter is very useful for any synthesized "choir" sounds.
And of course a heavy amount of delay and reverb.
Attached Files

dreamy.mp3 (1.21 MB, 750 views)

Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Find your own signature pad sound. Scroll through presets and you'll find something you like. Get preset banks.
Old 19th June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
The key to this is the reverb, first and foremost.

As a starting point, I would choose "Daedalus II" in the factory preset list, and add reverb in the Effects panel. To increase the time the sound needs to reach full volume, go to the Easy panel, and turn up the A and R sliders in the "Amplitude Envelope".
Thank you for this answer, I'll make sure to try it.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

best way to learn is to deconstruct patches, do reverse engineering
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Some motion is good to have, instead of a static (unchanging) sound. A slow LFO modulating the filter or pulse width is good, or a little vibrato. Another option is a delay w/feedback before the reverb. Or, if your synth supports layering, have different sounds with different envelopes come in or fade out over time.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

It's not the synth, it's the programming - and it can be done well with no reverb.

You can even do some very interesting things in mono, one of the techniques I like to use on my P8 is to program a monophonic sound, it matters not if it's single osc or dual, but modulation is key - I'll pitch mod the patch via lfo's tied to either the mod wheel or pressure, then play the part in, mono, right to an audio track. Then I'll double the part on another audio track and vary the pitch mod, perhaps changing filter settings, attack times etc. Pan the combined tracks right and left and send through a stereo aux track for further processing - and you've got something classic and interesting.

Some recordings during the 80's have the Prophet 5, which was a mono output instrument, stacked as many as 5 or 6 times in combinations of l.r and c.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search