The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The cult of Roland JD-990
Old 1st May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
trying to decide between this an an EMU Ultra for that 90s vintage sound. the EMU is more drum and bass and has more possibilities
You guys are missing the point. There is nothing 90s in the sound of JD-990. It has a super high end sound that comes as a "default" out of its outputs. Pro's love it - its sonic imprint (picture) is equally good in a tiny bedroom studio as it is in a 1kW Hollywood surround studio, no sudden surprises or shocks once you turn it on in a large studio - heck it just sounds better! It needs nothing be added or removed in order to sound good. That's the point of this synth. Roland was a the top of its game when they made it. Soundwise it's a timeless design. It's a Delorean with full stainless body.
Great, I was all deadset on settling for an XV-5080 after weeks of looking back and forth on info.
Then you go and post this and now I'm wanting to wait for a JD-990 to surface on Ebay.
Old 1st May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtek View Post
Great, I was all deadset on settling for an XV-5080 after weeks of looking back and forth on info.
Then you go and post this and now I'm wanting to wait for a JD-990 to surface on Ebay.
Most of the time i hate JD-990 because i'm not a film music producer. If i was i would have 4-5. Take the most basic pad preset and just listen to how wide and lush it sounds.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
How's $550 for this one? (w/o cards)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
Do you know if the JD9D patch sysex is available online anywhere? I have the first card but haven't been able to track down the other two.

I'd be happy to put the JD9D-1 sysex on a dropbox if anyone needs it.
Hey! I know this is an old post but I would love a .syx of the JD9D-1 if you're still willing to share. I bought that card back in the 90's but can't seem to find it anywhere after I've brought my JD990 back into play. Looking back at many of the songs I wrote with the JD I'm seeing heavy usage of those particular patches.

Many thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwpro View Post
Hey! I know this is an old post but I would love a .syx of the JD9D-1 if you're still willing to share. I bought that card back in the 90's but can't seem to find it anywhere after I've brought my JD990 back into play. Looking back at many of the songs I wrote with the JD I'm seeing heavy usage of those particular patches.

Many thanks!
Don Solaris has it up on his site - it works wonderfully ... link to the patches on this page
http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=585
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Don Solaris has it up on his site - it works wonderfully ... link to the patches on this page
http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=585
I downloaded the 61-banks of Free Patches on Don Solaris' site and peaked inside each with a sysex viewer but couldn't find any of the JD9D-1 patches (first one is called Ghanima"). Are you sure they're included there?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I downloaded the 61-banks of Free Patches on Don Solaris' site and peaked inside each with a sysex viewer but couldn't find any of the JD9D-1 patches (first one is called Ghanima"). Are you sure they're included there?
The link that says "JD-800 Factory Patches (converted to JD-990 format)" - is that not what you are after, or did I read your request wrong?

EDIT: Doh, read your request again - I thought you were after the JD800 patches - my mistake sorry
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You're after these, I see now

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Many thanks!
Hi bnwpro,

I'm embarrassed to admit this, all the more so on this thread, but my 990 is in storage right now along with a lot of my other rack gear, so I can't create a sysex file from it. :(

It could be quite a while before I have the 990 set up again. Sorry!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Hello friends, is there any software that allows you to edit in PERFORM mode?
I use Ctrlr, but only allow patches.
Thank you
E.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Jerome Froese is selling his fathers JD-990

It has been used on all Tangerine Dream records since 1993. That's a pretty good endorsement

From his Facebook:
Quote:
Roland JD-990 - Used on all TD albums sicnce 1993 + LOOM. A special unique item, cause it contains 88 own custom made classic Tangerine Dream tones, which aren't available elsewhere. Programmed by Edgar, myself and our former studio engineer with the ambition to revive some classic TD sounds. Especially for strings the Roland machines have always been the first choice. Also included is a Roland Sound Card Set SL-JD80-01 (Drums & Percussion) - € 2000,00.

Bought a 990 for 330€ back in march. Happy to be back in the cult!

Last edited by John Difool; 4 days ago at 12:11 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelina View Post
Hello friends, is there any software that allows you to edit in PERFORM mode?
I use Ctrlr, but only allow patches.
Thank you
E.
Midiquest does, also fwiw I find version 12 to be very stable. Night and day better than earlier versions

https://www.squest.com/Products/Midi...s/RolandJD-990
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post
Jerome Froese is selling his fathers JD-990

It has been used on all Tangerine Dream records since 1993. That's a pretty good endorsement

From his Facebook:

Bought a 990 for 330€ back in march. Happy to be back in the cult!
2000 Euros?

I almost bought a Wavestation SR that Fleetwood Mac used through the '90s (I've owned 3 previously) and it was priced fairly - what you'd expect to pay for one. No "previous-owner" premium.

Oh, and I'll bet my 990's in better nick than this one. One scuff mark on the top surface is the only blemish it has, and of course you don't see it once racked. New screen too. Somehow I doubt it's worth 2000 Euros 'though...
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Midiquest does, also fwiw I find version 12 to be very stable. Night and day better than earlier versions

https://www.squest.com/Products/Midi...s/RolandJD-990

Thank you! I have midi quest, but I never used it.
is there any template designed for the JD990? or how would the Perform be edited?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you! I have midi quest, but I never used it.
is there any template designed for the JD990? or how would the Perform be edited?
Download the JD-990 editor. There is a tab that is just for editing performances and another tab for patches. So you can easily go back and forth editing patches in your performance, especially handy for effects

Edit:also got to say the interface looks like it's right out of Windows 95 or 98. But I kind of dig that editing synths from the same era
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
It's not a bad price if it's in good condition. Because right now, you'd be lucky to find a good condition JD-990 without the card for less than $500. OTH, I've not seen the Vintage card go for under $150 in a long time now. So I'd argue $600-650 would be a good price for the combo and therefore $700 is not bad. Current Reverb and Ebay prices are much higher and IMHO out of whack (to get into the $700 range you'd have to get the Reverb/Ebay sellers agree to a 20-30% discount which is not impossible I guess).
I know this post is a couple months old, but it’s still a good excuse for the obligatory reminder that new Vintage Synth Card owners replace the card’s at-risk capacitor *before* it starts a fire inside your JD-990.

(This is a cheap, common part to get, and an easy fix for a TV tech if you don’t solder. Just make sure the size and position of the newly installed cap leave enough clearance to fit the repaired card into the 990 normally.)

Last edited by percussion boy; 4 days ago at 04:30 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Download the JD-990 editor. There is a tab that is just for editing performances and another tab for patches. So you can easily go back and forth editing patches in your performance, especially handy for effects

Edit:also got to say the interface looks like it's right out of Windows 95 or 98. But I kind of dig that editing synths from the same era
thanks for your answer, excuse me one more question, where can you download that editor? I can't find it, sorry.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for your answer, excuse me one more question, where can you download that editor? I can't find it, sorry.
https://squest.com/Downloads/Downloads.html
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thank you very much, the version I had did not work for me, it did not allow to install the .sqz instruments
I uninstalled everything and downloaded version 12 demo version, now yes. thank you!!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Surely that software isn't free.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Yup, far from it.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahatte View Post
Just by halving the existing prices he would sell 10x more copies.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahatte View Post
Nope it's not, there are several pricing options depending on how many instruments you want to edit

The whole package with unlimited instruments is $279. That costs less than many plugins

It had allowed me to do things nothing else can

I think its a real bargain
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
The whole package with unlimited instruments is $279. That costs less than many plugins
Unfortunately it does not feature Instrument specific Plug-ins for real time edit + playback + automation inside DAW. For that you need Pro Version which is $400. They even restricted Patch Name export to Pro version only. Kinda uncool move, since you already got plugin option in the Pro Version which will take the patch name off the synth, so why restricting it in the first place.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Unfortunately it does not feature Instrument specific Plug-ins for real time edit + playback + automation inside DAW. For that you need Pro Version which is $400. They even restricted Patch Name export to Pro version only. Kinda uncool move, since you already got plugin option in the Pro Version which will take the patch name off the synth, so why restricting it in the first place.
True, and that's why they have different tiers with different features

I am currently using it with 13 different synths mainly Roland Romplers plus some Yamaha FM. I use it as a programmer to create patches then save them to a bank

All of my synths respond very well to MIDI CC's from my sequencer that can control pretty much anything so for me automation in a DAW is not really important
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

EDIT - didn't read properly that you wanted performance editing

If you have a JD-990, you NEEED to try this free editor :
https://ctrlr.org/roland-jd990-super-editor/

I don't have mine anymore, but it made using the Vintage Synth card so easy (built in smarts to browse and near-instantly load any patch on the card)
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Many thanks!
I'm glad to have found, what I think, is the soundset you're after. The card came with the first JD-990 I bought locally in South Africa in 2009. I've recently gotten my third one (after foolishly selling the other two), but I'll save that for another post. The price I paid for (and sold) the second one is sure to raise some eyebrows. Enjoy the Modern Masters soundset!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Modern masters.syx.zip (10.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Thanks man!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Wow...great! Thanks..

Anybody have the 2 other banks?

JD9D-2 Modern Sonics

JD9D-3 Oz Perspective

Old 5 hours ago
RDP
Gear Maniac
I do not have a memory card at this time but will probably eventually order the Sagamusix card. In the meantime I was trying to get the Modern Masters data into my INT slots, but it seems hardwired to try and upload to the data card. I tried a few different programs (SoundDiver, etc..) to try and force the patches via their librarian functionality to INT, with no luck. Is that excepted, and there is no solution except to obtain a memory card?

thanks,
RDP
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear