The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Polyend Seq worth $999 USD?
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Is the Polyend Seq worth $999 USD?

Howdy slutz! I'm usually apprehensive about buying new gear that hasn't been vetted much by the community (especially after buying the Beatstep Pro when it first came out), but this thing looks rad! I don't have any mobiles or CV gear so just looking for a [email protected] sequencer for my Analog Keys, Octatrack, Microwave XT and Monologue. I know this hasn't started shipping yet, but anyone had a chance to pay with one of these at a gear convention or demo? How does it compare to Square Pyramid or Entropy Engine and others? I'd normally wait, but the pre-order will end soon and price will go up to $1300 USD. I have Numerology 4, but hardware can be awesome. Should I go for it?
Old 2nd June 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm really not familiar with this new sequencer but it occurs to me, as an Octatrack owner, that you already have an 8 track polyphonic midi sequencer that will happily do 256 patterns of 64 steps.
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konputa View Post
I'm really not familiar with this new sequencer but it occurs to me, as an Octatrack owner, that you already have an 8 track polyphonic midi sequencer that will happily do 256 patterns of 64 steps.
Yeah I realize that, but just looks so intuitive and user-friendly, as opposed to the menu dive-y OT.
Old 2nd June 2017
Gear Maniac

The bits I've seen of it online make it look pretty interesting, but I don't have any first-hand experience unfortunately. If I had an extra $1000 to blow I'd sure consider it.

But to look on the bright side, with the price increase happening once it goes into full release it's possible you'll be able to make back most or all of your investment if you end up wanting to sell it. I say buy it and post lots of videos and details so I don't feel like I'm missing out
Old 2nd June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
Yeah I realize that, but just looks so intuitive and user-friendly, as opposed to the menu dive-y OT.
We know it hasn't shipped yet so almost nobody has 1st hand experience with it unless they are an insider and we know you have a sequencer that is more capable but with less blinken lights. Preorder 1 or more, especially since you find the least menu diving mode of the Elektron to be too menu divey.
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

I'm on the preorder list, but no idea when it's supposed to arrive.
Old 2nd June 2017
Saw SEQ at the last Anaheim NAMM show. It's a gorgeous, high-quality-feeling product that was quite a bit larger (wider) than I expected. It reminded me of my long gone Genoqs Nemo, but it appears to be much less cryptic. If Polyend's other products are any indication, it should be a very high-quality piece of MIDI hardware.

Whether it works for you depends on the price, feature set and the alternative sequencer choices. I think a well-designed, smoothly functioning UI would make it well worth the intro price. It does seem like a monome on steroids which is not my favorite sequencer flavor.

I just saw the Poly expander on the website. It would be a must-have accessory for me. Nice!
Old 2nd June 2017
Deleted User
Didn't the prototype have eight drum triggers built-in? They seem to have been dropped from the production version.
Old 2nd June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
I'd normally wait, but the pre-order will end soon and price will go up to $1300 USD.
Looks awesome to me, were I independently wealthy I would buy on principle.

Buy at $999 then if you hate it sell for $1100 after the price increase...win win.
Old 2nd June 2017
https://polyend.com/seq-sequencer/

Polyend SEQ Polyphonic step sequencer

ps ~ delivery of seq is now listed as June 2017 (previously mar/april)

Last edited by robwood; 2nd June 2017 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: relevant links to the topic
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Not many sequencers convey this much visual data, ('well gates, for all 8 channels, with 32 steps each simultaneously), as well as this unit. To my knowledge, only the Kilpatrick Carbon, (6 channels, 64 steps simultaneous), and a close second is maybe the GenoQs Octopus, in certain modes, (16 channels with 16 steps, simultaneous). The Electron stuff only ever shows 16 steps, of a single channel. The convenience, and fast, simple input makes this sequencer well worth the bucks, in my opinion. If it records midi pressure in as well, then it's a no contest. Even though it lacks tracks, a strong, nut~kicking third, (possible first!), is definitely the Koma sequencer. Even this isn't a 100%, as some of these sequencers do things like the Koma, which can affect it's own sequences, or the Kilpatrick, which can change the gate lengths and add chords, per step.
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, looks like they're actually shipping the Poly now, and SEQ in two weeks:

https://www.facebook.com/madeinpolye...898448190668:0
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Any one get one of these?

Shame there's no longer an cv outs
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

1.1 firmware was just released. Lack of cv outs is annoying but if you use their cv to midi module it works well enough.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

I really like the Live sequence recording with external device thru MIDI feature.

So, rather than manually entering note values, you record them into the sequence live (like the MatrixBrute's matrix sequencer I've been using) - which is awesome, very intuitive and easy to use because you get a nice visual overview of all sequences as you go.

Old 8th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Sorry for the newb question, but what would be the main differences in getting one of these compared to an engine for example?

I'm guessing putting tracks together into an actual song would be easier on the engine?

No cc control on the seq?

I think the seq looks really easy to use, but I'm guessing there's less functionality?

Thanks
Old 12th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos707 View Post
Any one get one of these?

Shame there's no longer an cv outs
Well worth the money. Nothing else quite like it on the market. I have engine too, neither is a replacement for each other.

The CV outs are provided by the other polyend product.
Old 12th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry for the newb question, but what would be the main differences in getting one of these compared to an engine for example?

I'm guessing putting tracks together into an actual song would be easier on the engine?

No cc control on the seq?

I think the seq looks really easy to use, but I'm guessing there's less functionality?

Thanks
Yes each step can output a CC. You can assign to whatever you want.
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaflr2 View Post
Yes each step can output a CC. You can assign to whatever you want.

Thanks, interesting.

putting a whole track together, would you prefer the engine?
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks, interesting.

putting a whole track together, would you prefer the engine?

Whole track, transposing, transitions, changing timescale? - Engine
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Been using my SEQ and Poly for a while. This thing is absurdly wonderful, in particular the Poly implementation is fantastic. Having all those CV outs (gate + velocity + modulation + pitch) cleanly sorted is nice.

My only gripe so far is that the Poly doesn't have a clock out (!), and the SEQ itself doesn't have a clock out. This is somewhat maddening but I'll overcome it.
Old 29th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Been using my SEQ and Poly for a while. This thing is absurdly wonderful, in particular the Poly implementation is fantastic. Having all those CV outs (gate + velocity + modulation + pitch) cleanly sorted is nice.

My only gripe so far is that the Poly doesn't have a clock out (!), and the SEQ itself doesn't have a clock out. This is somewhat maddening but I'll overcome it.
You can choose to send clock out via A/B or both. If you don't see the option update your SEQ.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can choose to send clock out via A/B or both. If you don't see the option update your SEQ.
That will transmit clock out MIDI, but it doesn't manifest as clock pulses on the Poly (unless I'm missing something -- would hate to lose a Gate to send clock pulses).
Old 29th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
That will transmit clock out MIDI, but it doesn't manifest as clock pulses on the Poly (unless I'm missing something -- would hate to lose a Gate to send clock pulses).
Ya, I was just referring to midi clock.
Old 30th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm really liking the layout and ease of use of this sequencer, along with the outputs for controlling my analog synths.

May I ask, does the Length knob work like a Gate? I see that the Seq has Gate outputs, but I'm trying to understand how you adjust the gate for sequences you just recorded on the unit. Is this what the Length knob is for?

Also, are you hooking up your synth directly to the Seq, or do you have some MIDI hub or something in between?

Thanks for any additional info. I'm actually looking for a sequencer that works like the matrix sequencer on the MatrixBrute. The Seq only has 32 vs 64 steps, but the interface looks very similar. On the MB, you can also use the note button row plus the row of buttons above the note button row, to easily link notes, accent, slide, and modulate.

I'm assuming you can also easily link, accent and slide on the Seq (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Any other cool stuff it can do that might not be readily apparent?

Thanks and congrats... it looks very nice!

Old 30th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
May I ask, does the Length knob work like a Gate?
It adjusts the length of the track in notes. I'm not actually sure how to adjust gate length or if it's even possible (I use this to trigger drum modules mostly).

Quote:
Also, are you hooking up your synth directly to the Seq, or do you have some MIDI hub or something in between?
My theoretical setup has it receiving MIDI IN from my Cirklon, and using that for clock. Right now however it's essentially standalone (driving a 6U x 104HP modular + Avalon Bassline).

Quote:
I'm assuming you can also easily link, accent and slide on the Seq (pls correct me if I'm wrong).
No idea -- don't really do that type of stuff :( I would recommend looking at the tutorials on their site. I don't believe there is a downloadable manual yet.
Old 30th September 2017
Lives for gear

not worth it to me, but if it fits your style it may be to you
Old 30th September 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks ModularOverkill.
Old 30th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
I'm really liking the layout and ease of use of this sequencer, along with the outputs for controlling my analog synths.

May I ask, does the Length knob work like a Gate? I see that the Seq has Gate outputs, but I'm trying to understand how you adjust the gate for sequences you just recorded on the unit. Is this what the Length knob is for?

Thanks for any additional info. I'm actually looking for a sequencer that works like the matrix sequencer on the MatrixBrute. The Seq only has 32 vs 64 steps, but the interface looks very similar. On the MB, you can also use the note button row plus the row of buttons above the note button row, to easily link notes, accent, slide, and modulate.

Any other cool stuff it can do that might not be readily apparent?

Thanks and congrats... it looks very nice!

Accent per step yes, modulation per step yes, roll/subdivide/ratchet per step yes. Haven't dont anything with slide- can't confirm that one. Overall it is the sequencer the matrixbrute "could have been". I returned the matrixbrute when this came out.
Old 1st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Accent per step yes, modulation per step yes, roll/subdivide/ratchet per step yes. Haven't dont anything with slide- can't confirm that one. Overall it is the sequencer the matrixbrute "could have been". I returned the matrixbrute when this came out.
Thanks (again!) dnaflr2...

That's what I was hoping (added bold above).

So, when you want to apply a gate to the sequence, it can only be done through the outputs correct? Iow, the gate control gets applied to the synthesized notes of whatever synth the sequence is playing through? (Because the Seq isn't a synth and doesn't have any oscillators or sounds of its own). How are you controlling the gate ranges?

One of the strong features of the MB sequencer is the Gate knob, and the rhythmic variations you can achieve by turning it. It can completely alter a sequence, for eg, making it very percussive, funky and consice all the way to more continuous sounding long synth notes strung together. Do the Gate outputs function similarly on this unit, and when plugged into a synth?

Oh, also, how is Swing implemented?

Thanks very much again!

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search