The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the Polyend Seq worth $999 USD?
Old 1st October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Thanks (again!) dnaflr2...

That's what I was hoping (added bold above).

So, when you want to apply a gate to the sequence, it can only be done through the outputs correct? Iow, the gate control gets applied to the synthesized notes of whatever synth the sequence is playing through? (Because the Seq isn't a synth and doesn't have any oscillators or sounds of its own). How are you controlling the gate ranges?

One of the strong features of the MB sequencer is the Gate knob, and the rhythmic variations you can achieve by turning it. It can completely alter a sequence, for eg, making it very percussive, funky and consice all the way to more continuous sounding long synth notes strung together. Do the Gate outputs function similarly on this unit, and when plugged into a synth?

Oh, also, how is Swing implemented?

Thanks very much again!

No for gate length. You do however have control of step length- which is similar- especially when you're using w/MIDI sound sources.

If you're using w/a minimoog or 303, etc I would manipulate this with the amp envelope on the actual synth.

Swing is implemented per sequence.

BTW- I loved the MB. Would never returned if I had unlimited space/funds.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

8 tracks won't cut it if you want to sequence drums too
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
8 tracks won't cut it if you want to sequence drums too
I've thought about how in many cases this is true. I assume it would play well slaved to a daw, so you could sequence 8 then go back and sequence another 8. Or you could do what a fellow did on Muff's and buy two!
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

I don't understand why there is a limit of 32 steps on the sequencer. This thing should be able to do 128 steps in length. Don't get me wrong, I think having 32 steps visible over each of the 8 rows is awesome. In fact, I love that. But I just don't understand why the length isn't more.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I don't understand why there is a limit of 32 steps on the sequencer. This thing should be able to do 128 steps in length. Don't get me wrong, I think having 32 steps visible over each of the 8 rows is awesome. In fact, I love that. But I just don't understand why the length isn't more.
You can link as many as you want by chaining. Or is it that you wish each row had 128 buttons?

Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
You can link as many as you want by chaining. Or is it that you wish each row had 128 buttons?
That's good that you can at least link patterns, but I rather have the option of specifying the overall length from the get go. Lots of sequencers have pattern linking or song mode, which is good. I don't want to have to link each pattern to another pattern just to make a pattern of the length that I want. I just wanted to quickly set the length of one pattern to 128 steps.

I would like to see a software update on the Polyseq to have quick buttons to move back and forth between steps 1-32, 33-64, 65-96, and 97-128. I really like that you can see 32 steps at one time, but I don't want to be limited to 32 step patterns. I usually make 64 step patterns and also enjoy 128 step patterns. Music/sequences don't sound as static that way.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's good that you can at least link patterns, but I rather have the option of specifying the overall length from the get go. Lots of sequencers have pattern linking or song mode, which is good. I don't want to have to link each pattern to another pattern just to make a pattern of the length that I want. I just wanted to quickly set the length of one pattern to 128 steps.

I would like to see a software update on the Polyseq to have quick buttons to move back and forth between steps 1-32, 33-64, 65-96, and 97-128. I really like that you can see 32 steps at one time, but I don't want to be limited to 32 step patterns. I usually make 64 step patterns and also enjoy 128 step patterns. Music/sequences don't sound as static that way.
Ah. I see what you mean. I agree that would be nice to have. Hopefully they will add it at some point. Maybe you should write them to suggest it.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Ah. I see what you mean. I agree that would be nice to have. Hopefully they will add it at some point. Maybe you should write them to suggest it.
Done
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

This is why you’d want to use a different time scale or subdivide the beat. I would assume that’s in the works.

This is really more of a performance instrument and needs to be approached as one. There are other sequencers that work better for programming more complex, extended sequences.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaflr2 View Post
This is why you’d want to use a different time scale or subdivide the beat. I would assume that’s in the works.

This is really more of a performance instrument and needs to be approached as one. There are other sequencers that work better for programming more complex, extended sequences.
I just typically like composing instruments rather than performance instruments. And I definitely feel that way for sequencers, except maybe Eurorack sequencers.

For programming sequences, I'm using my Deluge and it's great at that so I'm pretty content, but the Polyend Seq has my eye because I like the concept. I wonder if these guys will add a way to incorporate sub divisions. The Deluge allows you to 'zoom' in to sub divisions by pressing and turning the left/right knob, so you can enter in notes between the original notes. It's pretty slick.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just typically like composing instruments rather than performance instruments. And I definitely feel that way for sequencers, except maybe Eurorack sequencers.

For programming sequences, I'm using my Deluge and it's great at that so I'm pretty content, but the Polyend Seq has my eye because I like the concept. I wonder if these guys will add a way to incorporate sub divisions. The Deluge allows you to 'zoom' in to sub divisions by pressing and turning the left/right knob, so you can enter in notes between the original notes. It's pretty slick.
SEQ already has this implemented- roll/ratchet per step.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
SEQ already has this implemented- roll/ratchet per step.
Does the Seq allow you to customize your ratcheting? Or does it just add all the notes between each note? Let me explain what I mean.

Roll/ratchet isn't the same thing as sub divisions. Ratcheting/roll is a constant repeat. You can't take out one of those notes within the ratchet/roll.

The Deluge allows you start with sub divisions of a 4th and zoom into a 64th. But my point is that if you start with 16th note sub divisions and you create notes on each of the 16 steps, then go into 64th note sub divisions, it will then give you 3 extra 64th note steps after each initial 16th steps. So at this point, if I have notes on step # 1/64, 5/64, 9/64, etc and I then want to add additional steps only on 3/64, 4/64, 7/64, 8/64, etc. and maybe mix up that pattern later, I can do that. Does the Seq allow this? Or will it fill up all the notes between 1/64 and 5/64? Also, I don't want to use the same notes for notes that I ratchet, so it doesn't repeat.

Ratcheting will only fill all or none of those notes a lot of times. So 1/64, 2/64, 3/64, 4/64, 5/64, etc. will all have a value. Ratcheting can give you even divisions of those sometimes, but not customized options like I mentioned.

The Sub 37 ratcheting gave you ratcheting for all or nothing. It was fun on the Sub 37 since you could choose between 1, 2, 3, etc. and up to 8 repeats, but it was all or nothing.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Hi guys, This looks very interesting to me I felt one up in Sheffield but never really got the chance to use it properly. How easy do you think you would be for blind person to use? Any menus? Thanks very much guys :-)
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
Not many sequencers convey this much visual data, ('well gates, for all 8 channels, with 32 steps each simultaneously), as well as this unit. To my knowledge, only the Kilpatrick Carbon, (6 channels, 64 steps simultaneous), and a close second is maybe the GenoQs Octopus, in certain modes, (16 channels with 16 steps, simultaneous). The Electron stuff only ever shows 16 steps, of a single channel. The convenience, and fast, simple input makes this sequencer well worth the bucks, in my opinion. If it records midi pressure in as well, then it's a no contest. Even though it lacks tracks, a strong, nut~kicking third, (possible first!), is definitely the Koma sequencer. Even this isn't a 100%, as some of these sequencers do things like the Koma, which can affect it's own sequences, or the Kilpatrick, which can change the gate lengths and add chords, per step.
MISA 32 is possibly the largest work space I have seen

nsc-32 - Misa Digital
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
Hi guys, This looks very interesting to me I felt one up in Sheffield but never really got the chance to use it properly. How easy do you think you would be for blind person to use? Any menus? Thanks very much guys :-)
Yes, enough menus and key presses to make it difficult. If I were you I would check out the MISA. Each musical note is represented as a physical button in a column. Neither is a substitute really for each other. Both have different workflows and different highlights.
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, enough menus and key presses to make it difficult. If I were you I would check out the MISA. Each musical note is represented as a physical button in a column. Neither is a substitute really for each other. Both have different workflows and different highlights.
Do you meaN the misa digital 32? I’ve been interested in that but never given a look why do you think you’ll be a good idea?
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you meaN the misa digital 32? I’ve been interested in that but never given a look why do you think you’ll be a good idea?
There are things you can do with this that other sequencers do not do, but there is an amount of double button pressing, ie having to hit two buttons to trigger specific abilities
This has the least amount of menu diving I have seen but unfortunately it also relies on using the grid buttons as a display array in either 16 across by 24 down MISA 16 or 32 across by 24 down MISA 32
These are very rare devices as MISA Australia shows out of stock for both
I can get 1 but I have no room for it, if after I sell some gear and make some room, it is on a short list, I have been looking at one for over a year now
The device could actually very cool for live performances, but it does have limitations having to rely on a colored screen to convey specific duties
I will explain, colors define what particular modes you are in, say if you are pattern chaining, a block can be 3 different colors, white purple and blue I think
But it will change color as a note plays on that step, so you get a dual visual representation on what is going on

It's very smart but I think in your circumstance it could be a double edged sword
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
There are things you can do with this that other sequencers do not do, but there is an amount of double button pressing, ie having to hit two buttons to trigger specific abilities
This has the least amount of menu diving I have seen but unfortunately it also relies on using the grid buttons as a display array in either 16 across by 24 down MISA 16 or 32 across by 24 down MISA 32
I can get 1 but I have no room for it, if after I sell some gear and make some room, it is on a short list, I have been looking at one for over a year now
The device could actually very cool for live performances, but it does have limitations having to rely on a colored screen to convey specific duties
I will explain, colors define what particular modes you are in, say if you are pattern chaining, a block can be 3 different colors, white purple and blue I think
But it will change color as a note plays on that step, so you get a dual visual representation on what is going on

It's very smart but I think in your circumstance it could be a double edged sword
Thanks for that :-) it was very helpful Can you post links any good video explaining how it works The ones I found were just visual with a bit of music in the background.
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for that :-) it was very helpful Can you post links any good video explaining how it works The ones I found were just visual with a bit of music in the background.
This is basic functions on 32

This is a playlist of all videos, personally I don't think these will be helpful as there is no voice over

Here is a sequencing 5 minute vid

Hope these help

Old 21st January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Not very rare around these parts (USA). Perfect circuit always has them in stock.
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, in regards to MISA, there are a few config menus- midi master/slave settings, quantization. But the majority of the functionality is accessible via the 2 columns of big buttons on the side and then the matrix of notes. I would assume it would be very workable for a person with little or no vision. Much more workable than the polyend SEQ.
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Addict

A couple things that put me off about the MISA, even though I still have one-

You get 6 tracks, but all tracks have to be on their own midi channel. You can’t have 2 tracks using the same MIDI channel for expample. Kind of a drag since you can set different lengths and time divisions for each sequence. If you have a device that listens in OMNI I guess it’s a non-issue.

Also those beautiful faders on the right side. The CC they output on is fixed. Yes- can you believe it? If you’re using with hardware that can learn and map CC’s no big deal, but that’s not always a possibility. Funny they assume you would be using a piece of kit like this with something like ableton.
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

That's straya for you mate
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

So, the Misa cannot record live sequences off your connected synth, correct? I can't recall and referring to their site and manual just now didn't help.

And, by contrast, the Polyend SEQ can record live, right?

I was reviewing these two fine sequencers earlier and never pulled trigger. They both have appeal.

Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

NSC-16 / NSC-32 Instruction Manual - Misa Digital

This is everything it can do, and what it can't
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Wow, the MISA NSC 32 looks like tons of fun! That's like my dream interface.

Damn, I was hoping the MISA NSC 32 could have more than 6 tracks and be able to have a step length longer than 32. This looks seriously sick. If it didn't have those limitations above and was geared more to work with hardware, I'd be all over it. I'm going to think about this one hard and possibly try this out. The interface looks like it would be so quick to sequence with.

Can you record parameters realtime or P-lock like into it?

Shouldn't this all be in the MISA thread over here?: Misa Digital NSC 32 sequencer
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Don't know about p Locks but you can split keyboard and also pattern chain
This is better than the deluge re work space imo, you work in 32 step blocks visually, not too and fro as in the deluge which could get confusing for song modes
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't know about p Locks but you can split keyboard and also pattern chain
This is better than the deluge re work space imo, you work in 32 step blocks visually, not too and fro as in the deluge which could get confusing for song modes
Hmm, that's debatable. Working in 32 step blocks is fantastic, but that's the limit right there; you don't get any more steps. I enjoy being able to scroll all over the place, up and down the scale or forward and backwards in bars (16 step increments).

I think being able to sequence CCs is pretty important nowadays. That's one of the many reasons I love the Deluge so much.

The pattern/sequence chain of the NSC 32 is good that it's there, but just extra hassle instead of being able to keep one idea on one pattern. To make a 64 step pattern, I'd have to stop my idea in the middle and find the next pattern to continue to program. Not as intuitive.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

There is the possibility of dialing in 'pre programmed ' chords per step ...but whenever you real time record a chord , it automatically spreads the notes over the other tracks .
So playing a ninth chords , takes up 5 tracks ...so only 3 tracks left ...for your kick , hat , snare ....( asummingthey all triggered at th same time )
Pretty dumb if you ask me , unless I am totally missing somthing here .
This sequencer is just for laying down a bassline and a few blip and Blops .
Not a workhors seq. if you ask me .
It does look gorgeous
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

I hope this is easy for them to update in a new firmware, but as far as I can tell you can't have different time divisions per track, which is really painful. Am I missing something here?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search