The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Microwave XT
Old 1st February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
Awww, thanks Carl. Glad your PSU situation worked out. Really happy to see you guys enjoying pimped up MWs, still haven't touched mine, although finally brought it to Moscow after a year of storage.

Also, in a year I may start doing something about Cirklon LCD display.

I'll PM you soon.
I’m DEFINITELY down for a new/better Cirklon screen

Cheers
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks to Roman for sending out the lense for the blue XTK screen. My crappy cell phone pic isn't doing it justice. Super vibrant!
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Microwave XT-blue-xtk-screen.jpg  
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Guru

I don't think this would be worth starting a new thread over, but does anyone else think the Blofeld sounds better than the Microwave? I've got a friend that swears up and down that the Blofeld is crap compared to the XT, but when I had an XT, I don't remember it sounding as beefy as the Blofeld does. Secondhand XT prices show that I might be in the minority, so just wanted to get some opinions on this.
Old 19th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I don't think this would be worth starting a new thread over, but does anyone else think the Blofeld sounds better than the Microwave? I've got a friend that swears up and down that the Blofeld is crap compared to the XT, but when I had an XT, I don't remember it sounding as beefy as the Blofeld does. Secondhand XT prices show that I might be in the minority, so just wanted to get some opinions on this.
Its all subjective and personal opinion, but as an owner of a Blofeld and an XT, I prefer the Blofeld sound.
Old 19th June 2019 | Show parent
bax
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My opinion based only on my personal experience with them is that while it is not necessarily poor-sounding, the Blofeld sounds more clinical and weak compared to Quantum, microQ and Microwave XT. Admittedly, I have not done nearly enough deep-diving into the Blofeld as I should, and I understand that it does take a little more coaxing and effort to get great "sounding" sounds out of it (if that makes any sense at all). Also understanding that they are different machines that have similarities but not a 100% apples to apples comparison there. I'm also not scoping them, precision level-matching, or any other witchcraft to make that statement with any kind of scientific evidence or proof to back it up, so absolutely take that with at least a few grains of salt...

TBH, since getting the Qu, I am thinking that it plus the XT is probably about all I need from the Waldorf camp. The Blofeld is likely getting boxed up and put into storage soon, and possibly the microQ as well in order to free up some rack space. The XT will not be going anywhere. Hoping that Encore will finally do another run of the expansion boards so I can get mine up to 30 voice. I'd have to say that right next to the Kurzweil K2600 and SY99, the XT is the warmest/best sounding digital I've had the pleasure of owning.

Thanks!
bax
Old 4th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Throught you guys might be interested to hear something I've been working on for some time now...

128 brand new electronic sounds for the Microwave XT, XTk and II synthesizer.

More info here: www.boxedear.com/microwave.php

Old 4th October 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Necro sidetracking reply!

Umm I guess that depends on what you call "better"? I have both, love both, use them religiously but... The XT cant replace the Blofeld and vice versa to me. Same patches on both machines are pretty different. The Blofeld is that crystal clean and clear punchy speaker tearing sound. Something every modern VST like Serum/Dune/Pigments/etc has. I hate to sound cliched but the XT has that 'digital warmth' you can hear right away when playing the same wavetables with the exact same setting. The easiest way to describe it would be the Blofeld is a "modern" version of an old digital classic made with the technology they probably wished they could've used with the Microwave. The Microwave is very much one of those 90s digital sounding machines, not the razor sharp stuff we have now. Granted the Blofeld does have way better converters, and I would imagine all of the algorithms for the filters and oscillators are new too. They didnt even have access to the Microwaves code like not even 2 years after the synth was released, and the MicroQ/Q code was completely separate from it. It was more based in analog circuit level modeling stuff way back before people really caught on to that as opposed to the Microwave's PPG roots.

Hey speaking of MWs... If anybody has any of the old long rubber knobs laying around (like the ones on that XTK above) I could use one hahaha. After 20 years, I finally lost my first one, the master volume one finally cracked and then crumbled off the shaft. I have the 3 or 4 pieces of it sitting here but man these things are going for like almost $10 a piece on Ebay in some places???? Was gonna replace all of em with the newer MicroQ knobs but guess what ALPS just stopped making in the last couple of months heh.
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear
Bump for a great synth and a question about the MWXT power supply.

I lost mine at some point between moving and having all my gear in storage for 5 years!

I know it's a 12VDC 1A power supply I need, but I seem to recall it had an odd barrel size on the end, or is it a standard 2.1mm? Also, I know these synths are finicky about power supplies so if anyone knows of a brand/model that they have experience working with on their MWXT I'd appreciate it. Cheers!

EDIT: Found a 12VDC 1.5A power supply powering my Time Machine backup drive which is working like a charm. Now must remember to find a replacement for that before too long! (what could possibly go wrong )

And just to answer the question above for posterity, it's a standard 2.1mm barrel connector

Last edited by networkacid; 18th April 2020 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: never mind!
Old 19th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

could anyone walk me through installing factory/other patches on the mwxt? i wanna try something old soundpacks i found but i’m not sure what i’m doing. gear wise i have a 2011 macbook pro and a presonus firebox at my disposal + ableton and garageband. id like to be able to keep bank a and rewrite/add to bank b if possible.

thanks for any guidance
Old 21st May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforest View Post
could anyone walk me through installing factory/other patches on the mwxt? i wanna try something old soundpacks i found but i’m not sure what i’m doing. gear wise i have a 2011 macbook pro and a presonus firebox at my disposal + ableton and garageband. id like to be able to keep bank a and rewrite/add to bank b if possible.

thanks for any guidance
You’re gonna need some sort of sysex utility to dump patches in the XT.
Like this: https://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

Or if you feel like spending a few bucks there’s this:
https://12decode.de/MW2E/index.html

The 12decode editor/librarian makes the whole process of loading and saving banks very easy.
Old 21st May 2020
Yeah what @ ModMatrix said. Installing a bank of patches via sysex installs the entire memory like updating firmware, so you need some way of manually moving the new bank where you want it to and putting your own patches back afterwards. I still use Sound Diver to do it but I also have an ancient MIDI interface that works in Win2000/XP/Mac OS 9 and plenty of old machines around to run it still. All you do there is drag and drop patches from your library into the slots you want them to go into and send away..

Installing them is easy though, you can even use the Quicktime player, just set the midi port to your Microwave and play the sysex file. Thats how Waldorf even recommended to do it. Dumping them is the same thing but in reverse. Just arm a midi track in your sequencer, use the dump utility in the MW, hit record and send the bank dump.

At some point you're going to need one of the librarians though.
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Nextel Coating Question

Hey guys, my XT sandy coating is kind of rotting. It has this "dry" looking areas with white dust around like if it's starting to fall off, if I clean it with a little wet towel it goes away, but comes back as soon as it dries up.

My question is, if I use the suggested (by Waldorf) silicone oil based shampoo, will this remove ONLY the sandy coating and will this leave the orange regular paint under intact or will remove the fonts, etc.?

I worry if I do this then all the letters and lines will be erased, anyone successful removing the coating?

Thank!
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axkan View Post
Hey guys, my XT sandy coating is kind of rotting. It has this "dry" looking areas with white dust around like if it's starting to fall off, if I clean it with a little wet towel it goes away, but comes back as soon as it dries up.

My question is, if I use the suggested (by Waldorf) silicone oil based shampoo, will this remove ONLY the sandy coating and will this leave the orange regular paint under intact or will remove the fonts, etc.?

I worry if I do this then all the letters and lines will be erased, anyone successful removing the coating?

Thank!
From what I understand how the Nextel process works the lettering and lines are printed right onto the metal and/or the main primer and then the paint applied only sticks to the primer. Removing the paint shouldn't affect the lettering.

A little more info on the paint, it's full name is 'Nextel Suede 3101'

eco.be/Nextel.htm
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I would recommend to be cautious about this :
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Microwave XT-nextel.jpg  
Old 3rd October 2020
Yeah that lettering is definitely on top of the Nextel and dont wipe, blot it or you'll start wiping the finish right off. I dont even bother cleaning mine anymore, I just run a swiffer duster over it once in awhile and blow the rest off.
@ Rob Ocelot - they had some cool colors available in Nextel. There were some neat purples they shouldve used too! :D
Old 21st October 2020
Here for the gear

check reverb for 30 voice upgrades
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

there are many comparisons of the XT with argon 8, hydrasynth, quantum etc.. any thinks the XT stands the test of time?
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar23 View Post
there are many comparisons of the XT with argon 8, hydrasynth, quantum etc.. any thinks the XT stands the test of time?
For years I tried to substitute XT with newer designs and I finally came to realisation that I spent more money looking for shortcuts and bought real thing.

Some things were worth the journey: I have all modular units from Waldorf and find both VCO and VCF one of best oscillator and filter. Prologue also was bought in expectation of bringing Waldorf WT timbre from its user oscillator and I ended up with best VCOs in poly, one of best filters and compressor. And there were blind routes that I had no luck with. At the end, when I listened to Argon demos, they were the closest to the real deal, but then I asked myself - how much am I willing to spend? I already exceeded price of real deal. And went with XTk, finishing my shopping spree.

From the ones you mentioned, only Argon reminds me of XT. Hydrasynth and Quantum have different timbre, more hifi, but there is no way I could mistake them with XT.
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

Replaced my XT with a Microwave I Rev A. It's a gateway drug.
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Bottle View Post
i replaced my money with a Microwave I Rev A. kept the XT

seriously, i really love the sound of both. but don't think i've ever used em together in the same track. for me they exist in radically different galaxies,, and hence inspire different textures, atmos, melodies and so on. play them differently too.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i replaced my money with a Microwave I Rev A. kept the XT

seriously, i really love the sound of both. but don't think i've ever used both in the same track. for me they exist in radically different galaxies,, and hence inspire different textures, atmos, melodies and so on. i just play them differently.
Now that I've been digging into the Microwave more, I think you might be right, but funds didn't allow that option for me right now. Might get the XT again one day - then can be less annoyed about Monstrum not replying to my messages about selling/transferring my license for the editors
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar23 View Post
any thinks the XT stands the test of time?
it came out originally in 1998.

its 2020 now.

and its still in use everywhere, especially with artists into ambient, electronica, cinematic etc.

you tell me
📝 Reply