The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does the Timbre Wolf make sense at $200 new...
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Addict

Does the Timbre Wolf make sense at $200 new...

Just to control my other rhythm machines(drum station, jomox, et cetera)?

My primary midi controller is the a88 which is bulky for rhythm synths. I do have smaller devices and a couple beatsteps but the allure of what would be a free additional rhythm synth on top of the controller function of the wolf at the price seems tempting? I dont particularly like anything ive heard from the machine but I also didnt listen to it with any intent.

Short versions, how would the rhythm wolf function purely as a controller for other rhythm synths?
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

I've passed on it at ~$180 so far - I do intend to get one at nearer $100 partially due to its legendary status

I've played with one in a shop.. the hardware itself is a really nice build quality. For the onboard sound I'd be putting it through a big chain of effects I think, maybe via the individual outs. The sequencer looks good, though. The main issue I'd have using it as a controller is the lack of mod wheel..

This guy makes good use of one in YT, may help you see how you'd fit it into your setup.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

No.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear
I have one. I don't mind it. I wouldn't get it to trigger anything. For 200 I thinks it's a good deal if you are low on funds and want some simple analog drums. I'm predicting they will be worth a mint one day. It gets ridiculed much like the tb303 did when it was first released. Who's laughing at the 303 now. All it takes is for some talented guy to create a new genre with it and well you know the rest of the story.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
All it takes is for some talented guy to create a new genre with it and well you know the rest of the story.
How many times has that ever happened with a piece of electronic music gear?

Once. And it was the 303 which is a gazillion times more interesting sounding than a rhythm wolf.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post

Once. And it was the 303 which is a gazillion times more interesting sounding than a rhythm wolf.
You could also say it happened with the 808 and 909.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

I wouldn't buy one expecting it to be worth a mint in the future, but $200 is still kind of pushing it for how much money I want to throw at one. Still waiting for the TW to be a stupid deal of the day @ $99.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post

Well..... I guess it self evident that guy isn't you.
Old 25th May 2017
Deleted User
I made this Youtube video as a reply.
The main sequencer is the TW, but I use the GATE OUT to
do all sorts of modulation on the MS-20/2 Monotribe Contrivance.

Old 26th May 2017
Gear Nut

The 303 at least had the hidden gems of a good, unique sounding resonant filter and a built in pattern sequencer. No wonder it started new genres. Those Akai filters aren't doing anything like that, unless the kids start loving resonance that kills the sound.
Old 26th May 2017
Deleted baa19f3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
I made this Youtube video as a reply.

are you aware your left channel dropped out at 0.22?
Old 26th May 2017
Deleted User
That 1202VLX4 has issues with the MIC outs, but no. Thanks for the headsup.
Bye Bye Mackie 1202VLX! And no more YT untill I buy a new board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted baa19f3 View Post
are you aware your left channel dropped out at 0.22?
Old 26th May 2017
Deleted baa19f3
it's a shame, because I was interested in what you were doing, but the drop out kind of took away from it.

So what are you looking at to replace it?
Old 26th May 2017
Gear Nut

I participated in a couple of threads debating how low this thing would have to get to pull the trigger on it. I know I saw it for $250 on occasion, and maybe even $200 one time.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...-lives-13.html

I did not pull the trigger then, and now that I finally picked up a Korg Minilogue, I really see no reason to own one. There's absolutely $150 or even $200 of "value" the thing, just as a piece of hardware. You could use it as a decent DIN MIDI controller for something else, or mess around with it and get some glitchy sounds. I actually didn't mind that "Howl" control or whatever the overdrive was called, even though it was much maligned.

But to buy this thing and accumulate more "instrument" in my house when it's just inferior to competitor products in every way doesn't make any sense. To that point, I just traded in an Arturia MicroBrute when I got my Minilogue, and I really like the MicroBrute. It's just that I have enough sounds covered with low-end hardware (Minilogue, microKorg, and Volca series) that it seemed superfluous to store another synth with its own power supply, etc. for my needs. Also, it's increasingly evident I'm more or less a Korg fanatic at this point, as their products really seem to check all the boxes for me in terms of affordability, easy of use, and just enough complexity to keep me interested.

No, the Timbre Wolf isn't going to become the next 303. It's a decently built device that's just weird in the way it handles oscillators, polyphony, and outputs, but not "weird" in any sense that makes it innovative or more creatively useful. And for that reason, there's no earthly reason anyone should pay more for one than a MicroBrute, Novation Bass Station, or miniNova.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
Well..... I guess it self evident that guy isn't you.
post again when you find that guy
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
I participated in a couple of threads debating how low this thing would have to get to pull the trigger on it. I know I saw it for $250 on occasion, and maybe even $200 one time.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...-lives-13.html

I did not pull the trigger then, and now that I finally picked up a Korg Minilogue, I really see no reason to own one. There's absolutely $150 or even $200 of "value" the thing, just as a piece of hardware. You could use it as a decent DIN MIDI controller for something else, or mess around with it and get some glitchy sounds. I actually didn't mind that "Howl" control or whatever the overdrive was called, even though it was much maligned.

But to buy this thing and accumulate more "instrument" in my house when it's just inferior to competitor products in every way doesn't make any sense. To that point, I just traded in an Arturia MicroBrute when I got my Minilogue, and I really like the MicroBrute. It's just that I have enough sounds covered with low-end hardware (Minilogue, microKorg, and Volca series) that it seemed superfluous to store another synth with its own power supply, etc. for my needs. Also, it's increasingly evident I'm more or less a Korg fanatic at this point, as their products really seem to check all the boxes for me in terms of affordability, easy of use, and just enough complexity to keep me interested.

No, the Timbre Wolf isn't going to become the next 303. It's a decently built device that's just weird in the way it handles oscillators, polyphony, and outputs, but not "weird" in any sense that makes it innovative or more creatively useful. And for that reason, there's no earthly reason anyone should pay more for one than a MicroBrute, Novation Bass Station, or miniNova.
I pretty much agree with all of this, but I'd say the TW makes sense for how the OP wants to use it. If price matched with a MIDI controller you might as well get something that also has the ability to sequence 4 external hardware machines, offers polyphony, AND can actually make it's own sounds. It's really a no-brainer.
Old 28th July 2017
Deleted User
I have a Mackie 2404VLZ4 in a box, waiting for me to move everything into a bedroom studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
it's a shame, because I was interested in what you were doing, but the drop out kind of took away from it.

So what are you looking at to replace it?
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

$200 is the price of a MIDI controller, so the answer is yes. You can use this as a controller and you get the benefit of sequencing other gear and being able to use it as a sound source.
Old 28th July 2017
Deleted User
What I need to do as a YT video that might not yet have been done.
1 TW controlling a perFOURmer via MIDI
The 4 individual outs on the TW plugged into the 4 EXT positions on the p4M.

So, this bypasses the p4M Oscillators, however the TW still goes through its filter
then on its way to an ADSR controlled filter on the p4M.

...it would be a HOWL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
$200 is the price of a MIDI controller, so the answer is yes. You can use this as a controller and you get the benefit of sequencing other gear and being able to use it as a sound source.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
What I need to do as a YT video that might not yet have been done.
1 TW controlling a perFOURmer via MIDI
The 4 individual outs on the TW plugged into the 4 EXT positions on the p4M.

So, this bypasses the p4M Oscillators, however the TW still goes through its filter
then on its way to an ADSR controlled filter on the p4M.

...it would be a HOWL!!!!
I'd love to see that myself.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

I would pay £30 for one and not a penny more.

Why oh why did they not let you select different oscillator footages for each voice? That kinda stuff is so much fun!
Old 28th July 2017
Deleted User
Supply is limited due to bad press. Supply is drying up.
Expect to pay much more than 30 quid in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

Why oh why did they not let you select different oscillator footages for each voice? That kinda stuff is so much fun!
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

No.
It's hopeless.
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

I might make room for it on my desk if someone gave me $200.

Maybe.
Old 29th July 2017
Gear Guru

for sale: Timbre Wolf $400

worth it at twice the price. makes perfect sense. future classic
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear
Personally I'd rather put the $200 into an old electribe ER-1, or ES-1. Your other drum machines outclass what the rhythm wolf does, so I don't see the "bonus". I wouldn't want the electribes as my only pieces, but think they do offer more potential usable stuff and cover some different ground. The wolf's knobs don't transmit midi either, so not really going to make much of a an actual controller, assumed you were more meaning sequencer than control surface anyway. The electribes have a higher track count on the sequencer and double the number of steps too.
Old 29th July 2017
Gear Guru
sorry butters .. we're talking about the synth.. not the drum machine...

and I did read that post as if it was spoken by butters... couldn't help it
Old 29th July 2017
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

true.. it makes unison mode so beautifully useless...
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
sorry butters .. we're talking about the synth.. not the drum machine...

and I did read that post as if it was spoken by butters... couldn't help it
The title is timbre, the question is rhythm.... ?
Old 29th July 2017
Gear Guru
oh sorry... didn't even give the rhythm wolf much thought... good point there...

sorry butters
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear