The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does the Timbre Wolf make sense at $200 new...
Old 2nd June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
The TW does not transmit poly notes on separate midi channels per voice,
only 1 MIDI channel. Although on the sequencer it is one midi channel per voice.

let me check if i got that right (since i don't have TW to check):

sequencer records poly notes on each track -> it sends poly notes per midi channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Box her up!!!

nooo man, you can't do that after all that advocacy!
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
I have one. I don't mind it. I wouldn't get it to trigger anything. For 200 I thinks it's a good deal if you are low on funds and want some simple analog drums. I'm predicting they will be worth a mint one day. It gets ridiculed much like the tb303 did when it was first released. Who's laughing at the 303 now. All it takes is for some talented guy to create a new genre with it and well you know the rest of the story.
You probably said that about the Red Sound Dark Star too.
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
You probably said that about the Red Sound Dark Star too.
Thanks for the troll. I stand by my original comment.
Old 3rd June 2018
Deleted User
On the sequencer, it records one mono voice per midi channel.
No such poly sequencing except as the composite.

No more Timbre Wolf for this pup. Boxed up and traded away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg View Post

sequencer records poly notes on each track -> it sends poly notes per midi channel?

Old 21st November 2018
Gear Head

Does the Timbre Wolf make sense at $200 new...

To answer that question you really have to ask yourself if the thing is useable for you. This goes for any gear. I just bought a Timbre Wolf and Im really happy with it.

I was in the market for a new sequencer because my Arturia Keystep is starting to die after a year of owning it. I thought about buying a beatstep pro but seeing as though my microbrute is also starting to die after only 6 months I was not cool with purchasing anything from arturia ever again. Luckily my local music store had a lonely Timbre Wolf collecting dust in their showroom which i was able to snatch up for 250 euros. I was more than happy to pay that for the sequencer alone.

My experiences with the thing:

Sequencer: very useful. a steal for $200 or more in my case

Keyboard: touchy. Doesnt work very well with external velocity sensitive synths. Cool for non-velocity sensitive gear and the internal synth though.

Synthesizer: Useful if you like loud distorted sounds or mellow e-piano type sounds. Polyphony is a big bonus here.

Connectivity: useful as a master clock also has midi thru. Can be used to clock modular gear with gate out (or in). Can also sequence 4 different external synths and such if so desired although youll need a midi thru box to do so.

As a just a synth for $200. Well, if youre just taking sounds into account. Id probably skip on it. Its actually very sensitive and kind of difficult to dial in a desired sound because its distorts very easily. If you take polyphony and the sequencer into consideration: Im having lots of fun with it!

addendum: You could buy the thing just for the 4 oscillators @$50 a piece. Ive tried pumping those suckers through the filter of my microbrute and it sounds quite FAT. You can easily sequence a bassline and the duplicate 3 different octaves of that same bassline to play simultaneously. Sound WAY fatter than the microbrutes own sound although you can mix that in too if you want to.

Last edited by an3z; 21st November 2018 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: spelling and proper grammar
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Head

The timbre is awesome!

So, Im sure the whole internet wants to know but the timbre wolf is a seriously misunderstood piece of gear. Ive only had mine for a couple of weeks but im discovering new awesome things all the time. Yesterday, for instance, I tapped the audio from the 4 separate audio out jacks on the back instead of the one main out. This immediately sounds a lot better. So, I fed 2 audio channels through my microbrute and the other 2 through a EHX Blurst pedal and now i have a double duo synth with 2 LFOs running simultaneously. Really funky stuff and sounds great too!

Also, I heard people complaining that the TW doesnt have a slide function on the sequencer like the 303. But it does! You can 'slide' from one note to the other using the 'tie' function. So like going from a D3 note to a C3, or whatever you want, the pitch changes but the gate doesnt shut and open again when going to the next note. Other names for this I guess would be glide or portamento. Just discovered this. This doesnt work via midi though. Will report more later if anyone cares about the TW. Everybody should though...
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

you payed 250 for that turd ?
local shop laughing all the way to the bank and the guy who sold it to you probably won the shop's ongoing bet and the year's bonus for who manages to get rid of that. but hey, if you like it, good for you
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
local shop laughing all the way to the bank and the guy who sold it to you probably won the shop's ongoing bet and the year's bonus for who manages to get rid of that. but hey, if you like it, good for you
Lucky for me people like you drove the price down
Old 12th December 2018
i'm thinking whether to get one just for simple jamming sequencer duties.

i like what it does, but surely there must be some other hardware sequencers which could do the same.
but i can't remember which are those.
could someone tell, is there something else out there, which does 4 tracks with 4 variations?
and which can switch on/off individual steps, and go in/out recording mode during the performance.

i mean, something cheap and intuitive. suggestions welcome!
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, all that energy expended just to go out of your way to be an asshole.

Remind me to find some three-legged dogs for you to kick...
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

hey man, i actually shared an apartment with a friend of mine that had an adopted 3 legged dog named trippy. sweetest dog ever. he also had a blind cat and a big turtle that someone painted her shell bright white. liked all of them very much. timberwolf stil a turd though. evidence of the fact is the thing getting removed from stores pretty quick, massively discounted and nobody really caring about them (because they don't really sound like anything). and if you just want the sequencer, there's other stuff out there that will do a similar job, around the same price.

did you ever try one in person? i did. local shop had it in for a couple of weeks. turd. and yes, i think that the guy was taken in for a ride by the shop that sold him the thing after what? more than a year (or is it 2 already) since the thing is discontinued? specs on paper might look good. but the sound isn't. and the guy admits it. so please don't call me an asshole. i never called the guy any names because we all make mistakes and get excited about certain pieces of gear. but that thing is stil a turd and always will be
Old 13th December 2018
Deleted 46dc28f
This thread needed some Akai Dan.

Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
This thread needed some Akai Dan.

I miss that hoodie
Old 15th December 2018
Quote:

could someone tell, is there something else out there, which does 4 tracks with 4 variations?
and which can switch on/off individual steps, and go in/out recording mode during the performance.

i mean, something cheap and intuitive.

bumping this question.

if there isn't anything similar for similar price, i will assume that tw sequencer is a good deal.
Old 26th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
hey man, i actually shared an apartment with a friend of mine that had an adopted 3 legged dog named trippy. sweetest dog ever. he also had a blind cat and a big turtle that someone painted her shell bright white. liked all of them very much. timberwolf stil a turd though. evidence of the fact is the thing getting removed from stores pretty quick, massively discounted and nobody really caring about them (because they don't really sound like anything). and if you just want the sequencer, there's other stuff out there that will do a similar job, around the same price.

did you ever try one in person? i did. local shop had it in for a couple of weeks. turd. and yes, i think that the guy was taken in for a ride by the shop that sold him the thing after what? more than a year (or is it 2 already) since the thing is discontinued? specs on paper might look good. but the sound isn't. and the guy admits it. so please don't call me an asshole. i never called the guy any names because we all make mistakes and get excited about certain pieces of gear. but that thing is stil a turd and always will be

Actually the TW has proved to be the best deal ever. Granted it needs external processing but if you know what youre doing then it sounds very good. Hint: if you reduce certain bass frequencies before processing the signal actually sounds normal. These bass frequencies dampen the higher harmonic content of the oscillators. Ive been using the TW relentlessly. My microbrute sounds like a wimpy POS compared to my TW. So thanks again for driving the price down!

And no i dont think there are multi-track sequencers out there for what i paid for the TW. I think the cheapest ones youll find are the Elekton series which are quite pricey.. So, thanks again for driving the price down of my cherished TW!
Old 26th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by an3z View Post
Actually the TW has proved to be the best deal ever. Granted it needs external processing but if you know what youre doing then it sounds very good. Hint: if you reduce certain bass frequencies before processing the signal actually sounds normal. These bass frequencies dampen the higher harmonic content of the oscillators. Ive been using the TW relentlessly. My microbrute sounds like a wimpy POS compared to my TW. So thanks again for driving the price down!

And no i dont think there are multi-track sequencers out there for what i paid for the TW. I think the cheapest ones youll find are the Elekton series which are quite pricey.. So, thanks again for driving the price down of my cherished TW!
Nice to hear the TW has found a niche. BTW, you may like this...

Old 26th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Nice to hear the TW has found a niche. BTW, you may like this...

And to think i almost walked away from buying the TW. Because trying it at the store i wasnt impressed with the sounds except maybe for warm sounding chords. I bought it for the sequencer but now im really impressed with the whole thing.

I do however think Akai should have done more to make the unit useable because the onboard settings are not enough. For instance a bandpass filter would have made a huge difference especially for people interested in techno.

I have heard of the noodler. Im going to watch the vid... thanx for sharing.
Old 26th December 2018
Gear Head
Within a few years, TW prices will skyrocket the second hand markets, I would even bet on a €1.000 spot. It will find its audience for sure, if not today, then tomorrow.
Old 26th December 2018
Deleted 859c1b8
It was an emotional response, but now I have another Monotribe with MIDI.
You know what they say about paradigms.....shift happens!

Quote:

Old 26th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogueHead80 View Post
Within a few years, TW prices will skyrocket the second hand markets, I would even bet on a €1.000 spot. It will find its audience for sure, if not today, then tomorrow.

I dunno. You really need to put it through an external filter and amp env to harnass its full potential in my opinion. I put mine through my microbrute. Without the MB i dont know if id really find the TW useful
Old 29th December 2018
after quite some thinking over it (not an impulse buy), i decided to get TW myself. quite a strange move, considering i do own some premium analogue instruments.

rather than sound source, i was looking primarily for a proper hardware sequencer for jamming, something more serious than the one featured on microbrute. so i wrote myself several pages of comparison with gear like:
electribe2, beatstep pro, dark time, minibrute 2s, evolver desktop, korg sq1, new casio keyboard seq, old stuff like yamaha qy70... etc. cost against features, tw won.

so i found them listed locally and asked sellers for a trade. i was aware that tw is one way ticket - if i don't like it, it's super hard to sell it later. eventually i managed to trade in some cheapo gear i wasn't able to sell for several years - no loss there.

after i brought it home, it took me an hour to wrote small interesting piece, with some harmonic change.
though it's not cheaply made, my pitch wheel is already faulty, when touched it detunes the sound (kind of spontaneous modulation feature, eh?).

and of course, i was curious if the synth engine is any good.
with few other synths in a song, if you know what to listen to, you could recognize the sound of tw. but the difference (in the mix), is not day and night. tw synth is crippled from full features, but the basic sonic meat is there. and is not thinner than the others, which obviously helps.
the only things stopping me from buying another one, are akai's omissions: it is kinda bulky (minikeys would fit better), and there is no polychain.
however, sequencer works for me.

as with many modern gear within cheaper price range, it's hard to find good review or a proper demo. i'd like to write full analysis, but for now only few thoughts which fit this thread's topic. and i wrote this mostly out of disagreement with mainstream opinion...
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Remind me to find some three-legged dogs for you to kick...
Dogs with no legs are more aerodynamic, tho...
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
after quite some thinking over it (not an impulse buy), i decided to get TW myself. quite a strange move, considering i do own some premium analogue instruments.

rather than sound source, i was looking primarily for a proper hardware sequencer for jamming, something more serious than the one featured on microbrute. so i wrote myself several pages of comparison with gear like:
electribe2, beatstep pro, dark time, minibrute 2s, evolver desktop, korg sq1, new casio keyboard seq, old stuff like yamaha qy70... etc. cost against features, tw won.

so i found them listed locally and asked sellers for a trade. i was aware that tw is one way ticket - if i don't like it, it's super hard to sell it later. eventually i managed to trade in some cheapo gear i wasn't able to sell for several years - no loss there.

after i brought it home, it took me an hour to wrote small interesting piece, with some harmonic change.
though it's not cheaply made, my pitch wheel is already faulty, when touched it detunes the sound (kind of spontaneous modulation feature, eh?).

and of course, i was curious if the synth engine is any good.
with few other synths in a song, if you know what to listen to, you could recognize the sound of tw. but the difference (in the mix), is not day and night. tw synth is crippled from full features, but the basic sonic meat is there. and is not thinner than the others, which obviously helps.
the only things stopping me from buying another one, are akai's omissions: it is kinda bulky (minikeys would fit better), and there is no polychain.
however, sequencer works for me.

as with many modern gear within cheaper price range, it's hard to find good review or a proper demo. i'd like to write full analysis, but for now only few thoughts which fit this thread's topic. and i wrote this mostly out of disagreement with mainstream opinion...

I have the same issue with the pitch wheel on mine. The TW is really not for perfectionists. My only real complaint is its size. Curious to know how you get along with it...
Old 10th August 2019
Deleted 4c3c464
The same reason you'd find someone to trade a TT-78 for a Timbre Wolf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Where did you find someone crazy enough to trade a MIDI Monotribe for a Timbre Wolf?!
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It gets ridiculed much like the tb303 did when it was first released. Who's laughing at the 303 now. All it takes is for some talented guy to create a new genre with it and well you know the rest of the story.
The Wolf Step hasn't been discovered yet.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Came across this today. Perhaps the TW was not totally useless after all.

📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear