The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Sub Phatty or Sub 37
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

How can synths that use the same Moog ladder filter and generally similar oscillator waveforms somehow end up as "very different." I've played with a slim and a sub, granted years apart, but I would never describe them as "very different." They're Moogs! An MS-20 and a Slim Phatty I would consider very different.
Old 14th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darxxxell View Post
You're in love! GREAT!!!! What an icrwdible feeling!!!! A word of advice, I think the input/output jacks will be too small to make two become one. lol

So now, the Subsequent 37 is fast approaching but I have no desire, just like the Elektron mk2 releases, to upgrade to it. My Sub37, A4, and OT are plentiful. It's great to not have GAS!
Woah it looks like we own the same gear. I also have no interest in the Mk2 elektron releases and rejected a few offers to sell my A4 and OT... I'm considering snatching up a Rhythym since I find the TR-8 to be a bit mehh...

I've also no interest in looking at the DSI Rev 2 as my Prophet 08 does a decent job. Wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on a prophet 06 or OB-6 one day but I'm in no hurry.

On the Moog front, I only ever compared the Mother 32, Sub Phatty, Sub 37 so have no insight on the LP/Slim but from the research I've done most people do say that there is a noticeable difference in the tone and the Subs are more modern/aggressive.

That being said, it wasn't difficult to tame the Sub Phatty (or sub 37) and get some nice clean leads.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Head
For those out there with the 37 I'd agree knob per function is crucial! I have an Arturia Minibrute and just got the Sub Phatty. I love the sound of the sub phatty but I hardly scratch the surface unless I use the editor, which does make it way easier than that shift function menu system. I would have got the 37 but I really couldn't afford to spend basically double what I paid for the sub phatty. If you can afford it Knob per function is really the only way to go for the most enjoyable experience, but the moog oscillators are really so killer that even with just the main controls you can do a lot. To bad the Roland System 1 doesn't get some poly love but I guess the system 8 will get all of those VST's while the sys1 only gets mono's. It would have been nice to be able to get the jupiter 08 on it. But the sys1 engine on it's own it pretty phenomenal.
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeko0 View Post
Woah it looks like we own the same gear. I also have no interest in the Mk2 elektron releases and rejected a few offers to sell my A4 and OT... I'm considering snatching up a Rhythym since I find the TR-8 to be a bit mehh...

I've also no interest in looking at the DSI Rev 2 as my Prophet 08 does a decent job. Wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on a prophet 06 or OB-6 one day but I'm in no hurry.

On the Moog front, I only ever compared the Mother 32, Sub Phatty, Sub 37 so have no insight on the LP/Slim but from the research I've done most people do say that there is a noticeable difference in the tone and the Subs are more modern/aggressive.

That being said, it wasn't difficult to tame the Sub Phatty (or sub 37) and get some nice clean leads.

Cool! Sorry for my late reply!
I would like a RYTM also and I’d be happy with a mk1 but I have a Machinedrum. Yep, I snapped it up in the thrift store round the corner. The TR-8 goes wonderfully with it. The live scatter yields great textures and mainly, I love having the bread and butter sounds alongside a drum synthesizer.

I love my A4. It is very unique and the amount of modulation available renders it like nothing else in my arsenal.

The OB6 is to die for. You. Must. Listen to this. First the sound is straight from the OB6 and then effects are added... OB6 + Effects by Philo Krynx | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Head
Well, reading pro5's statements regarding the slim and the sub 37, tone is where it's at. I would have to agree that is what brought me back to the sub phatty. Compared to the other synths I've played it really just has a genuinely "musical" tone regardless of what you do with the settings, like Reznor says in the archetype of a synth video he did for Moog. Compared to my Minibrute or the make noise 0-coast those synths can go to both extremes. Either harsh or warm. I love how the moog sounds when you do take it to extremes though. If your interested in a Moog take your time if your on a budget to ensure you really get what your looking for.

For me I like having the added controls up front, and the more modern options, like the envelope repeat that basically is a 2nd LFO, beat freq control, and compared to say the classic moog's that don't have any digital controls like the modulars/semi and the D.The added digital control does restrict that organic variable-analog liveliness but I really love that the sub phatty and other modern Moog's have the variable waveshape oscillators which give you more range of sound to explore.

If I could have afforded the Sub 37 I would have taken it in a heartbeat for the control panel alone, not that a 3 octave keyboard and duo-phonic ability isn't a plus. There is quite a bit more with the mod matrix as well, however when I first learned synthesis that feature seemed intimidating at first.

Maybe one day I'll be able to get a grandmother and enjoy the full analog experience of Moog but the Sub phatty always gives me the tone that I like best of all the synths I've owned or played and I recently bought the Elektron Digitakt as my main controller/sequencer/groovebox and the ability to map the Digitakt to control the under the hood features via the CC values and be able to sequence parameter changes on all of the sub phatty's controls is what I'm really getting excited about doing here soon and to me that is worth whatever difference in tone I may be losing as I like to expolore, not just have that standard Moog tone, so control for me makes more sense. Hope that helps someone? But I'm just gushing as I just got my sub phatty in the mail yesterday and I've missed it hard. NOW ON TO THE DIGITAKT!
📝 Reply