The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Subsequent 37 CV Edition
Old 29th May 2017
I personally love the way the multi drive on the Sub 37 bites. I use a distortion pedal on the Sub 37 because I want to amplify that characteristic.

The extra headroom and extra dynamic multi-drive doesn't appeal to me at all
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
What is so bad about the Sub 37 keybed? It feels nice and solid to me.
Yes, it feels solid. But the distance between the bottom of the key travel and the note release point is too great, making it more difficult to play fast staccato lines, you have to really focus on lifting your fingers. For me, it should have either a shallower travel or a lower note-off trigger.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I wonder if Moog has cheaped out on their keypads for non-flagship synths. I know Dave Smith did that with the Mono Evolver Keyboard, which didn't feel that nice. I then bought a PEK and noticed an immediate difference and liked it so much more. I would think a $1500 should qualify for a nice keybed, but it seems like $2000 is the mark or something.
This post just shows how personal a keyboard's action is from one to many others. I consider my Mono Evolver Keyboard to have as great of quality of keys as my Virus KC and Waldorf Q and Blofeld Keyboard.

I love my Sub 37 but it's probably the least desired keyboard keys of my synths. Am a classically trained pianist and find the uneven white/black key action, coupled with heavier action, a bit of a laborious task when going from any of my other synths with much higher quality keys.

That doesn't mean I dislike the Sub 37, not have any desire to acquire the newer version...the silver bothers me too much, no matter how it sounds.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone know of an online store that has a Subsequent 37 in stock?
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

I've been wanting a Sub37 for a while now, wish they would make a stark white one like they did some of their Ring Mod pedals, so cool looking. If I get one it'll be the older brown one though, has a good look to it, kinda old school. These machines sound amazing, I've been patient but the desire is getting real.
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by teashea View Post
Does anyone know of an online store that has a Subsequent 37 in stock?
Not sure where you are but I’ve ordered one on the uk and the expected delivery date is the 15th of September
Old 30th June 2017
Kja
Lives for gear
I believe only guitar center has them.. They made a deal with moog to sell the first ones. I came really close to getting one.. Same day as I was about to I changed my mind and went with a different synth. But it's really nice.. I wish I could get it too!
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear
I have a preorder in with B&H but it says July 31. Anyone actually seen one in the wild yet shipped?
Old 16th July 2017
Here for the gear

There seem to be a lot of secondhand Sub 37s on eBay and Reverb selling for around $1,000.00. I planned on either getting one of those or a Subsequent 37 CV. I ended up getting the Subsequent 37 CV because of the increased headroom in the mixer, and the extended range of multidrive.

Honestly? I prefer the look of the Subsequent 37 over it's predecessor. It looks stunning and futuristic to me. “It looks like a Korg Radias”? Please.
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Moog Subsequent 37 CV Edition-sss37.png
Attached Thumbnails
Moog Subsequent 37 CV Edition-sss37.png  
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
I cancelled my order and switched to AMS so I should be getting my Sub 37 CV this week. It seems some dealers have stock and others still waiting.
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear
WOW It is a beast. The enhancements to the headroom make this a must have. Why are they limiting this to only 2000? It seems stupid not to put these enhancements to the regular Sub 37 You can get some delicious thick leads going through a Tube amp with Tape saturation out of this keyboard. They really should roll these enhancements across the entire line.
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

On paper, i think the changes they've made are something I want. If anyone gets a subsequent and doesn't like it, let me know. I just might trade you my Sub 37 for it. If I need to sweeten the deal, i could probably do that.
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
WOW It is a beast. The enhancements to the headroom make this a must have. ...
With reference to the Subsequent 37 & Sub 37 Comparison -thread. I really wonder about that headroom, as the tester found that on an init patch the oscillator mix levels are lower. So is that 'headroom' just a that (i.e. equally achievable on the old model)? I'd like to see a carefully controlled comparison with a scope and spectrum analyzer, as what I've heard so far isn't conclusive...

Oh, and if I were to get a new one, I'd go for the colour scheme above, black + aluminium + wood :-p
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
With reference to the Subsequent 37 & Sub 37 Comparison -thread. I really wonder about that headroom, as the tester found that on an init patch the oscillator mix levels are lower. So is that 'headroom' just a that (i.e. equally achievable on the old model)? I'd like to see a carefully controlled comparison with a scope and spectrum analyzer, as what I've heard so far isn't conclusive...

Oh, and if I were to get a new one, I'd go for the colour scheme above, black + aluminium + wood :-p
play it to distortion on the CV model it sounds really nice. What the testing guy needs to do is push both synths (old and new) hard and see the effects.

My question is why not make these improvements on the regular Sub 37 why make it limited to 2000?
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
My question is why not make these improvements on the regular Sub 37 why make it limited to 2000?
This could very well be the intention. The tribute has been running for a while now. After the limited run of the subsequent, they might start the "stage" edition similar to the little phatty. It may very well contain the same electronics as the subsequent... less aluminum looking, cv out optional, plastic sides (or whatever they are). Let dealers get in on their limited edition colors again. I imagine if that does happen, an upgrade to existing Sub 37s may even be possible (at a cost).
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
This could very well be the intention. The tribute has been running for a while now. After the limited run of the subsequent, they might start the "stage" edition similar to the little phatty. It may very well contain the same electronics as the subsequent... less aluminum looking, cv out optional, plastic sides (or whatever they are). Let dealers get in on their limited edition colors again. I imagine if that does happen, an upgrade to existing Sub 37s may even be possible (at a cost).
That would make sense. It would be stupid to engineer an improvement but limit that to 2000 units and keep making the existing model the same with no improvements. Like you said, they will probably cut down on some things like the CV output etc..
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
..., an upgrade to existing Sub 37s may even be possible (at a cost).
That's one line of speculation I'm joining in on Could it be that you only need to, say, swap out some resistors for other values in the drive circuit and possible the mixer, and hey presto, you have a Subsequent? Perhaps some of the differences are simply in the firmware (mixer headroom?), or is the firmware the same? What about the editor?

I assume the two are patch compatible(?) Does anyone here have a Subsequent to help us get a fix on this?

Hey Moog! How about telling us some more?
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Addict

I just received my Subsequent 37 CV from dv247.com only its not the CV edition. It looks just like a sub 37, all black with wood ends and has no cv outputs. It says Subsequent 37 on the front panel.

Last edited by stylesforfree; 9th August 2017 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
I just received my Subsequent 37 CV from dv247.com only its not the CV edition. It looks just like a sub 37, all black with wood ends and has no cv outputs. It says Subsequent 37 on the front panel.
They've shipped you the wrong model then surely if you ordered the subsequent 37 cv edition! This sounds like the new version of the standard sub37.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You got the wrong thing
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

There is a thirty-seven key combination to dilate the CV ports.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
...This sounds like the new version of the standard sub37.
There's no new version on Moog's site AFAICS(?) Anyway, the 'old' one is black with wood ends.

But, what's this?
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Can we get some pics of this?!
Old 9th August 2017
Photos have been showing up in the Facebook Sub 37 group for the past few days. I'm not sure if anyone has an official explanation yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Moog Subsequent 37 CV Edition-20597504_10213650743248558_569020470930588865_n.jpg   Moog Subsequent 37 CV Edition-20604692_10213650742768546_8613733444111964447_n.jpg   Moog Subsequent 37 CV Edition-20637879_10154505081068239_8734494629859189448_n.jpg   Moog Subsequent 37 CV Edition-20708129_10213650743088554_3780230180885091997_n.jpg  
Old 9th August 2017
I guess the gist of it is this. The original "Sub 37 Tribute Edition" is on its way out. It is being replaced by the "Subsequent 37". There is an LE variation of this (2000 units) called the "Subsequent 37 CV" that has the assignable CV and Gate outputs. Otherwise, all of the Subsequent 37s feature the new mixer, the revised Ladder filter, and the revised Multidrive.

And, for some reason (only in Europe?), it seems that some people who pre-ordered the Subsequent 37 are getting the regular Subsequent 37, when they thought they'd be getting the Subsequent 37 CV.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Old 11th August 2017
Gear Addict

Got it sorted (hurrah!) returned the standard version and got confirmation that my CV edition will be here soon.
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Addict

Ok, the reworking of the multi drive is amazing, so much more character with the resonance cranked, and the feedback...woooaaaaahhhh, and cv outs to control my modular, so much powwweeerrr!!!! And its built like a tank. I have a sub phatty that I thought knocked pretty hard but this thing is next level.
Old 18th August 2017
I gave my insights in the comparison thread and would like to share some thoughts here too. The Subsequent is defenatly cleaner sounding. On some existing patches theres more hi-end, sometimes the low-end is a bit reduced though. In general I prefer the tone of the Subsequent. If you go on the OSC Mixers at around 2-3 oclock, you get more or less the same sound like on the original Sub 37. So that leaves you just with a broader palette of sounds. You can hear the single Oscillators better and theres clearly more dynamic in the sound. So....only soundwise, I think its an improvment for those who want some more clean tones as well or a broader pallette in general.

Of course adding the CV / Gate Outs, its a great add for other modular gear or in my case for my Minitaur (esp. with the new OS!!) and my Moogerfoogers.

The only real downside is the look. To me, the Sub 37 has to be one of the best looking modern Synths around. It has this classy vintage vibe mixed with a modern character. Unfortunatly the Subsequent looks not near as charming and much more analytical and scientific if that makes any scence. But thats all about taste.

For the moment, I still have both, but I'm 99% sure to sell the Sub 37 at the end.
📝 Reply