The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Dominion Club
Old 2nd February 2020
  #571
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Hi, can anyone upload OS 1.02? I have v. 1.04 installed and the patches dump is not working.
Old 9th February 2020 | Show parent
  #572
Here for the gear
Just a quick update since I'm one of the few people who bought 2 when it came out:

I sold one to a friend because he loved the sound so much. We both still own them and love the sound. I've made somewhere around 300 patches in total although I lost about 100 or so one time when I updated the OS (I think, it was a long time ago). I really enjoy making patches on this synth for some reason. I have no idea why, but when I'm in a mood to just make a few mono patches I almost always grab the Club and end up having some fun.

With the newest OS everything's good and it's worth putting up with the quirks etc for the sound. But I think it would drive me crazy if I didn't have some other mono synths for when I don't want to put up with the club's eccentricity. Btw, as I've said before the Club is a perfect team with the Sh-101 (Or MS-101 or 01a).

Like all MFB gear, if you crave THAT SOUND, then there's only one place to get it, but it does come with issues. Some people can put up with those issues, some people can't. I was initially hoping it was a smaller version of Dominion 1, but as several people have mentioned, it is something entirely different. I actually like that it's different, but if you love the sound of the Dom 1, don't get cheap--just buy it. The Club is not a less expensive alternative, it's just it's own little beast. I love both, but obviously the Dominion 1 is better.

I also think that most people are underestimating the musical quality of the Club. I've made some very beautiful mallet and lead patches with it and also some very nice pads (had to draw in the slow attack curve in software because the Club attack envelope doesn't get very slow at all.). I made the pads by simply multitracking 4-6 times with software attack envelopes. It's more work, but the sound of a nice warm pad chord from this synth can be quite surprising. I think it actually sounds better this way than the synth pro, but obviously it's a tedious way to make chords and I'll be getting a synth pro for poly work in the future when I want that MFB sound. I wish the Synth Pro had been a poly Dominion 1, but I still really like the sound of it from demos so far.

But yeah, I do make more bass patches than anything else on the Club. I just think that a lot of people are missing potential with the FM to make some mallet type sounds and the creamy sound of the synth in the midrange to make nice leads etc. I really love the filter, but it's not a "do-anything" filter, it has a character to it and can't do everything well. Some people will like the resonance and some not. I find it unique among my collection of 40+ synths, so that's pretty cool as far as the filter goes.

So if you're thinking about buying a Club, just know that the ONLY reason to buy it is for the sound. You will have to put up with some annoyances. I let my whole studio warm up for 30 minutes or so before recording or jamming, so I've never had a problem with warmup, but I do have to tune the Club more frequently than most other synths. Not a big deal to me, it takes a minute or less.
Old 11th February 2020 | Show parent
  #573
Gear Maniac
 
pluto_ro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
thanks for your kindly detailed post Trilobyte

do you think you'll have some time to do an audio demo of the Dominion Club related to sub/bass patches going to all the "main territories" of it including the help of fm side? than will be awesome and very helpful, here is no store to try it in my country, unfortunately

also all the demos on youtube are in the context of other equipment or they are just not doing it right when its in solo

i want to buy it for my live act but need to be sure is the right bass machine for my sound (its analog and have total digital recall, and heard has snappy envelopes, but till i don't hear it is just theory)

thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilobyte View Post
Just a quick update since I'm one of the few people who bought 2 when it came out:

I sold one to a friend because he loved the sound so much. We both still own them and love the sound. I've made somewhere around 300 patches in total although I lost about 100 or so one time when I updated the OS (I think, it was a long time ago). I really enjoy making patches on this synth for some reason. I have no idea why, but when I'm in a mood to just make a few mono patches I almost always grab the Club and end up having some fun.

With the newest OS everything's good and it's worth putting up with the quirks etc for the sound. But I think it would drive me crazy if I didn't have some other mono synths for when I don't want to put up with the club's eccentricity. Btw, as I've said before the Club is a perfect team with the Sh-101 (Or MS-101 or 01a).

Like all MFB gear, if you crave THAT SOUND, then there's only one place to get it, but it does come with issues. Some people can put up with those issues, some people can't. I was initially hoping it was a smaller version of Dominion 1, but as several people have mentioned, it is something entirely different. I actually like that it's different, but if you love the sound of the Dom 1, don't get cheap--just buy it. The Club is not a less expensive alternative, it's just it's own little beast. I love both, but obviously the Dominion 1 is better.

I also think that most people are underestimating the musical quality of the Club. I've made some very beautiful mallet and lead patches with it and also some very nice pads (had to draw in the slow attack curve in software because the Club attack envelope doesn't get very slow at all.). I made the pads by simply multitracking 4-6 times with software attack envelopes. It's more work, but the sound of a nice warm pad chord from this synth can be quite surprising. I think it actually sounds better this way than the synth pro, but obviously it's a tedious way to make chords and I'll be getting a synth pro for poly work in the future when I want that MFB sound. I wish the Synth Pro had been a poly Dominion 1, but I still really like the sound of it from demos so far.

But yeah, I do make more bass patches than anything else on the Club. I just think that a lot of people are missing potential with the FM to make some mallet type sounds and the creamy sound of the synth in the midrange to make nice leads etc. I really love the filter, but it's not a "do-anything" filter, it has a character to it and can't do everything well. Some people will like the resonance and some not. I find it unique among my collection of 40+ synths, so that's pretty cool as far as the filter goes.

So if you're thinking about buying a Club, just know that the ONLY reason to buy it is for the sound. You will have to put up with some annoyances. I let my whole studio warm up for 30 minutes or so before recording or jamming, so I've never had a problem with warmup, but I do have to tune the Club more frequently than most other synths. Not a big deal to me, it takes a minute or less.
Old 12th February 2020 | Show parent
  #574
Here for the gear
@ pluto_ro Don't buy the club for live performance. Even though it was designed specifically for that--it's really a studio-only synth in my opinion. Here are the reasons why I would NEVER trust this synth live:

1) The power cable is very loose and short. It often comes out and can easily be bumped slightly and have the power go out, which requires a full reboot and reload of your patch. A nightmare for live performance.

2) The display often gets hung up when dialing in different parameters, and sometimes moves too quickly. In other words, you can't rely on your muscle memory to dial in a certain filter cutoff from practice. You have to watch the screen like a hawk while dialing in parameters because they often go wrong with just a slight knob move. No problem in a studio, but not good in a live situation.

3) The Club's sequencer doesn't get along with other sequencers/DAWs. I think this is an issue with all MFB instruments with a built-in sequencer. After using this with 5 different sequencers (Digitakt, MPC Live, Ableton, Keystep Pro, Internal), I can't say I'd trust it in a live performance.

4) Patches don't load via MIDI as quickly and seamlessly as you will want them to.

5) No master volume for the synth. This limits your choices a bit for live setup and requires you control the level elsewhere. Not a big deal but I find it more conducive for live performance to have an instrument with a dedicated master volume control so I don't have to use a mixer for every little adjustment.


It has a great sound and form factor, but despite that it is not a reliable instrument and I would never consider taking it outside a studio environment. It's too bad because I bought it for live performance, but I quickly realized that it just wouldn't be that type of synth.
Old 13th February 2020 | Show parent
  #575
Gear Maniac
 
pluto_ro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Oh man thx so much for your detailed reply

1. The power thing can be fixed by attach the cable directly on the mainboard if will be necessary

2. A. I didn’t need the display cause I will use program changes, so every track will have a patch saved in a particular place in the bank

2. B. Regarding moving knob parameters this can be a real problem indeed, but with practice I think is doable, on my bass synth I will not go crazy to mu mych with it taking in consideration the music I do

3. I never thought about using the internal sequencer, I will use ableton for that

4. You mean through program changes? Whats happening exactly, thats not right?

5. It was better to have a dedicated volume I know but no biggie for me as well, mixer fader will be there for this

2B and 4 can be indeed can bring me some problems for my use for live

But before I risk that need to be convinced about the sound as my only bass synth, so I come again with the request if you’ll be nice and have some spare time in the next days to make and post here a few minutes demo with bass and subs patches of it going to different places including the fm flavors, I really want to be convinced about the bass versatility for a 2 hour live set if you know what I mean

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilobyte View Post
@ pluto_ro Don't buy the club for live performance. Even though it was designed specifically for that--it's really a studio-only synth in my opinion. Here are the reasons why I would NEVER trust this synth live:

1) The power cable is very loose and short. It often comes out and can easily be bumped slightly and have the power go out, which requires a full reboot and reload of your patch. A nightmare for live performance.

2) The display often gets hung up when dialing in different parameters, and sometimes moves too quickly. In other words, you can't rely on your muscle memory to dial in a certain filter cutoff from practice. You have to watch the screen like a hawk while dialing in parameters because they often go wrong with just a slight knob move. No problem in a studio, but not good in a live situation.

3) The Club's sequencer doesn't get along with other sequencers/DAWs. I think this is an issue with all MFB instruments with a built-in sequencer. After using this with 5 different sequencers (Digitakt, MPC Live, Ableton, Keystep Pro, Internal), I can't say I'd trust it in a live performance.

4) Patches don't load via MIDI as quickly and seamlessly as you will want them to.

5) No master volume for the synth. This limits your choices a bit for live setup and requires you control the level elsewhere. Not a big deal but I find it more conducive for live performance to have an instrument with a dedicated master volume control so I don't have to use a mixer for every little adjustment.


It has a great sound and form factor, but despite that it is not a reliable instrument and I would never consider taking it outside a studio environment. It's too bad because I bought it for live performance, but I quickly realized that it just wouldn't be that type of synth.
Old 9th March 2020 | Show parent
  #576
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
No one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neox View Post
Hi, can anyone upload OS 1.02? I have v. 1.04 installed and the patches dump is not working.
Old 23rd March 2020 | Show parent
  #577
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neox View Post
No one?
Someone.

I don't log in here very often so I didn't even think to upload this until today. Here you go, 1.02 as requested. I hope it helps.

https://ufile.io/x44cfgxm
Old 23rd March 2020 | Show parent
  #578
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Thank you very much for sending it, take care!

EDIT: Now with OS 1.02 the patches dump works both ways, so v1.04a has a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilobyte View Post
Someone.

I don't log in here very often so I didn't even think to upload this until today. Here you go, 1.02 as requested. I hope it helps.

https://ufile.io/x44cfgxm

Last edited by Neox; 23rd March 2020 at 05:27 PM..
Old 23rd March 2020
  #579
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Hearing about the firmware woes with this and the Tanzbar 2, I wonder if we could convince MFB to give us the source code. There are enough bugs and problems and they don't seem to have the capacity to fix them.

Its the reason I sold my Dominion Club, and almost caused me to sell my Tanzbar 2 as well...
Old 1st May 2020
  #580
Hi all, it’s a while I am considering to get the Dominion Club but I am somehow scared by the lack of good demos and in particular the report of bugs and tuning instability. How does it look in 2020? Would you recommend it? I am looking for a monophonic with top sound quality, small footprint, 2pole filter and storable patches. Also, how would you judge the morphing filter? Is it any similar to the Oberheim SEM state variable filter?
Old 8th May 2020 | Show parent
  #581
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niibe View Post
Hi all, it’s a while I am considering to get the Dominion Club but I am somehow scared by the lack of good demos and in particular the report of bugs and tuning instability. How does it look in 2020? Would you recommend it? I am looking for a monophonic with top sound quality, small footprint, 2pole filter and storable patches. Also, how would you judge the morphing filter? Is it any similar to the Oberheim SEM state variable filter?
bump
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
  #582
Gear Nut
Bump
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
  #583
Gear Nut
I almost ordered one of these yesterday but passed because I couldn't find the latest firmware or a log of the fixes. :(
Old 15th December 2020
  #584
Gear Maniac
 
StefanEdberg's Avatar
 
New OS Update to 1.05
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #585
Gear Maniac
 
pluto_ro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanEdberg View Post
New OS Update to 1.05
can we have a link pls, obviously in mfb style there is no news about that on their page

thx
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #586
Here for the gear
 
You can find it on the bottom of the product page: the button Sysex.

http://mfberlin.de/wp-content/upload...andpresets.zip

Here’s what MFB changed:

v1.05

- saved glide in presets did not get loaded - fixed
- Preset display did not work when prog changes received - fixed
- note reset in case of prog change removed when seq/arp NOT running - added
- receive of prop change improved for very short distances between prog change and note on - improved
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #587
Here for the gear
 
Hey there!

Also wanted to inform about the 1.05 release, as a grateful passive reader of this forum, though some of you were quicker ;-)

Have to add: The list of bugfixes in the release note of 1.05 was exactly what I reported back to them one month before 1.05 was released. So to me this seems to be a bit of a mismatch with the experiences some of you have had with MFB. My unit runs smoothly since the update!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #588
Lives for gear
 
sentokan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Why so few people buy this synth?
What are the main differences to its father..Dominion One?
Thanks!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2462 views: 334747
Avatar for Drbobdobbs75
Drbobdobbs75 3 weeks ago
replies: 76 views: 5183
Avatar for jm2c
jm2c 18th November 2020
replies: 4342 views: 496424
Avatar for Sorcerio
Sorcerio 6 days ago
replies: 805 views: 97010
Avatar for jazzcabbage
jazzcabbage 12th December 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump