The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha Reface CP hidden acoustic piano sound?
Old 19th April 2017
Yamaha Reface CP hidden acoustic piano sound?

Hi. 1st Post.

I think i found a hidden acoustic piano sound on my reface CP.

I don't know how i unlocked it and i cant get it back.

https://youtu.be/JVmmhfbYmGE

Adam
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Get John in here STAT. We need answers. Or maybe you were midi linked to your jv1080. Or you spent a year overdubbing for LOLZ. Or aliens.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's likely a combination of held keys on startup as opposed to single keys held for most of the other hidden functions. Looks like it replaces the current piano selection (or all of them) as I can see your selector is on the Rhodes I.

One other possibility is it was a one-off glitch. Still, it shows that there's more data in the ROM's than what you can access from the front panel.
Old 19th April 2017 | Show parent
Yeah i think i hit a few keys on startup. It's not connected to anything in the clip. Running on batteries actually. It happened right after power on. Yamaha Uk have said they know nothing about it.

I was able to add effects to the acoustic piano tone.

It replaced RD1, then when i switched the Type knob to another Type, the acoustic piano was gone and the unit returned to normal.

Last edited by woodshedjones; 19th April 2017 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: adding more info
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If this is true I'll buy a CP. The toy piano was a turn off, it needs a regular piano sound.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
WOW... what an Easter Egg. This takes me back to the days of trying different button/controller combos on the NES to unlock game modes. Brilliant job finding it... now we just need to reproduce it!
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Any chance of a GM wavetable in there? I kind of want to open mine up; it's over a year old anyways, so no warranty to void.
I know what you mean Sounxplorer. That toy piano has no use for me at all. What were they thinking? All those vintage electro mechanical keys and then Toy? It just doesnt fit. A Hohner Pianet would have fitted the vibe if an acoustic piano was a bit to heavy on the MB.
I know! I've been playing random chords on startup just in case it kicks in again. I'll have to check the manual as there are a couple of chords that enter it into firmware upgrade mode, or version checker and I don't want to brick the unit.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is there a tb303 mode?
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Play an Fmaj7 chord twice on startup, obviously
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wonder if the CS reface has a hidden CS 80 mode.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
I wonder if the CS reface has a hidden CS 80 mode.
Careful if your Reface CS gains 200 pounds...
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Did some research on the Reface CP's sound engine. It uses a combination of Spectral Component Modeling and AWM2. What this means is there's not specifically 'piano' samples in there but more the base sound components that come together to make a piano sound like a piano. You could in theory construct an acoustic piano sound from the components already there.

Think of it this way -- the Reface's bigger brothers, the CP-1, CP-4, and CP-40 use the same sound engine to generate many more Rhodes models than the Reface, and quite a few acoustic pianos as well. If memory and processing power are cheap enough it makes no sense to spend any effort paring down the sound engine, so the Reface CP is the same/similar underneath the hood but limits your access to the engine because of it's interface.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some clever cookie figures out a way to access all this hidden stuff and writes a PC program...

I also like to think that a rogue designer at Yamaha was rebelling against some marketing suit who wanted that awful toy piano in there.
Old 20th April 2017 | Show parent
I think you're on the right track there Rob. I contacted a guy on Twitter in Japan who was on the reface software team. While he preferred not to discuss it on his personal account, he did say he didn't know about the piano sound but guessed it could have gone into some kind of initial mode for development only.

I only hope it wasnt a one off glitch.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is such a fascinating mystery, I'm all keyed up!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I must have the solution to this conundrum on my desk by 1800 GMT
Old 20th April 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
I must have the solution to this conundrum on my desk by 1800 GMT
Yes please
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Subscribed. I really want this for my Reface CP. :-)
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
While we're here, can someone tell me: Is the CP voice modeled after a CP70 or CP80?
Old 24th April 2017
No miracle solutions yet. Just have to see if Yamaha get back to me one day. I doubt they'll be in any hurry.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This revelation has brought great shame upon their entire organisation
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Come on, Yamaha
Old 24th April 2017
gti
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
One way or the other, it would be great if Yamaha could release a firmware update to be able to replace Toy piano preset with a real piano samples semi-permanently, ie. it would stay when turned off and on again.

Last edited by gti; 25th April 2017 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I was about to post my first post to say the very same thing, gti. It would be a very lovely thing for Yamaha to do.

I'm quite surprised that there was no reply from Yamaha on the Reface forum either.
Old 24th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez21 View Post
I was about to post my first post to say the very same thing, gti. It would be a very lovely thing for Yamaha to do.

I'm quite surprised that there was no reply from Yamaha on the Reface forum either.
I'm not surprised. Major manufacturers have no clue how to handle crowd opinions. They churn out ridiculously thin facebook clickbait nonsense and twitter brag noise but they can't manage a dedicated support forum. They hide contact details and send pasted stock replies. They are years behind and running scared of the power that consumers now wield.
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Addict

May I be the cynical bastard that can't help thinking it was connected to some Roland module with piano sounds? It would have been much more convincing if we truly saw the effects working, not just the keys and transpose...

On the other hand, I don't really see the gains for the Op..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
While we're here, can someone tell me: Is the CP voice modeled after a CP70 or CP80?
CP80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsByJB View Post
May I be the cynical bastard that can't help thinking it was connected to some Roland module with piano sounds? It would have been much more convincing if we truly saw the effects working, not just the keys and transpose...

On the other hand, I don't really see the gains for the Op..
Hi SoundsByJB i can promise you I wasn't connected to anything. This part of the video shows it alone on the worktop https://youtu.be/ASgDOqRq5dg unfortunately i turned all the effects off to show the pure piano tone.
πŸ“ Reply