The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Novation Peak
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Just done a quick video with my PEAK...tried a different way of recording the audio, but screwed it up...mic on same track as Synth and at 16bit 44.1khz...I usually do 24bit 48khz...You'll ge the idea though

Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
Just done a quick video with my PEAK...tried a different way of recording the audio, but screwed it up...mic on same track as Synth and at 16bit 44.1khz...I usually do 24bit 48khz...You'll ge the idea though

If you had to choose between a Peak or a DM12 which one would you settle on?
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
If you had to choose between a Peak or a DM12 which one would you settle on?
Both! . Seriously though, I've only had a total about an hour on the PEAK, so I couldn't say, but then again the DM12 is a cracking Synth for the money...
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Both! . Seriously though, I've only had a total about an hour on the PEAK, so I couldn't say, but then again the DM12 is a cracking Synth for the money...
They do both seem excellent. Another 420 quid for the Novation though, that's enough to buy another widget! You're making the Peak sound very good, some of the early demos were rather ho-hum.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
They do both seem excellent. Another 420 quid for the Novation though, that's enough to buy another widget! You're making the Peak sound very good, some of the early demos were rather ho-hum.
Yeah, it does cost more, but I think that is more about Behringer being able to reduce their costs so much, as they have their own manufacturing. it was a choice to buy a Prophet 12 or the PEAK and I've done a fair bit with Dave Smith stuff, so fancied a change, plus it didn't cost me as much!

The demo's like you say aren't great, but I could hear just enough, plus one of my favourite Synths in the BS2...Love that little thing...I did a load of free patches for it that are on the Novation website...they're the ones made by JM.

I'm happy with it so far.
Old 17th July 2017
Here for the gear

wagoo asked Novation support about rack mounting and got this answer:
With the wooden end cheeks on Peak it is too wide to fit into a 19" rack. However, these end cheeks can be removed. Whilst we do not have a rack mount kit available at the moment this could change in the future. You could also make a custom rack solution.
The cables will stick out of the top however.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for this information. I hope Novation will produce a rack mounting kit for the Peak. If not, I may do it myself. I actually happen to have rack space on my desk that extends as a monitor stand towards the rear of the desk. It might just allow to install the Peak, if using angled audio plugs.[/QUOTE]

I rack mounted my Peak in my live rig by removing the end panels and adding Penn Elcom 3U rack brackets (2 per side) drilled and screwed into the sides of the Peak with longer metric screws. I recessed mine to the depth of the knobs. The Peak is a little shorter than 6U allowing for all cable connections along the top with angled 1/4" and angled midi connectors.

Very disappointed that the Peak doesn't respond to Midi CC#7 for master volume control. I use a Kurzweil PC3K7 as my master controller in my rig and have some very elaborate setups with multiple sound sources. Not having midi control over master volume makes the Peak useless in my rig. Right now it's very expensive eye candy in my rack……. I've emailed tech support several times. This is the response that I get:

"Thanks again for following up with us in regards to your recent feature request concerning the addition of Peak's Master Volume to the MIDI Paramter's list for control via MIDI.
We greatly appreciate your time, efforts & contributions. At this time your request has been submitted to our Research & Development department which is currently under review. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions, comments or need further assistance. We are always here to help." Not very happy……….
Attached Thumbnails
Novation Peak-live-rig.jpg  

Last edited by lesliekurzweil; 17th July 2017 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: add text/rotate pix
Old 17th July 2017
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliekurzweil View Post
I rack mounted my Peak in my live rig by removing the end panels and adding Penn Elcom 3U rack brackets (2 per side) drilled and screwed into the sides of the Peak with longer metric screws. I recessed mine to the depth of the knobs. The Peak is a little shorter than 6U allowing for all cable connections along the top with angled 1/4" and angled midi connectors.
Thank you very much for sharing this information and the photo. I currently have a 5u space free, but can move my Matrix 1000 to somewhere else to make another 1u space, if needed.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, I like the Peak, but won't consider it if doesn't respond to CC2. If that and a specific set up for my foot controllers won't work with it, I'll just get something that will. Which means the DM12D right now.

Not responding to CC7 does not give me hope. If they can't get that right, what else have they screwed up?
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

I've been following this thread pretty closely, but didn't hear this demo yet - if it's already been posted feel free to delete, but since this gives some of the best hands on tweaking of sounds I've seen yet without talking, not to mention some of the best sounds in my world, I'm just going to take the chance on a repost and be damned

Old 17th July 2017
Whoo-hoo, I got my Peak stand.

Now I guess I just take the two pieces and detune them. Than what?
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Whoo-hoo, I got my Peak stand.

Now I guess I just take the two pieces and detune them. Than what?
they look great but that price... would have preferred they just shipped it with 2 solid plastic ones.

How you liking the peak?
Old 17th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
they look great but that price... would have preferred they just shipped it with 2 solid plastic ones.

How you liking the peak?
That's the "whoo-hoo" part. I preordered (from Sweetwater) both the Peak and, weeks later, the stand. I got the stand today, but still no Peak.

I might print off a picture of the Peak, and put it all in its ultimate destination as a placeholder.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
That's the "whoo-hoo" part. I preordered (from Sweetwater) both the Peak and, weeks later, the stand. I got the stand today, but still no Peak.

I might print off a picture of the Peak, and put it all in its ultimate destination as a placeholder.
Ah I see. missed that :0

Still none here either. A bit bizarre since they were originally expected mid June. Preordered 2 months ago.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Video of the first 25 Patches in my set:

Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I rack mounted my Peak in my live rig by removing the end panels and adding Penn Elcom 3U rack brackets (2 per side) drilled and screwed into the sides of the Peak with longer metric screws.

Very disappointed that the Peak doesn't respond to Midi CC#7 for master volume control.

Right now it's very expensive eye candy in my rack

Not very happy……….

I'm really sorry to hear when someone is disappointed with a synth.

I really hope in future you will test out your new synths (or at least check the manual for specs) before drilling holes them! That way you can return them if they don't work out for you, and buy something else nice instead.

No drilling first!
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Video of the first 25 Patches in my set:

That is making me think that this is my favourite new poly out of all the options right now simply on it's own merits - not simply on bang for the buck, which this undoubtedly has in spades. I've been very tempted to pick up a system 8, but I recently picked up a Juno after many years without one so I probably have much of what I want covered there. There seem to be a lot of sounds that this is capable of which aren't my natural home turf, but they sound great intertwined with what I would uuually program myself and make me think that this is an extremely powerful machine. Maybe what a few people have hinted at is true - that it's capable of so many different flavours that it makes it easy to hear it demoing what you don't want at some point whereas it can do all that in spades if the programmer stays just there ... it's just that it can do so much more. I usually like one synth to be just that synth, but perhaps this is a very powerful chameleon. Love that demo even if some of the sororities are not up my usual alley. Thanks for posting.
Old 19th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post

I really hope in future you will test out your new synths (or at least check the manual for specs) before drilling holes them! That way you can return them if they don't work out for you, and buy something else nice instead.

No drilling first!
No drilling was done to the Peak. All I did was remove the four screws holding the wood end cheeks on and attached the rack mount brackets with shorter metric screws in their place. Can be returned to original condition anytime.
Old 19th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:

No drilling first!
I see the confusion. I had to drill holes in the Penn ELcom 3U brackets to line up with the screw holes on both sides of the Peak to mount them - I did not drill into the Peak
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see the confusion. I had to drill holes in the Penn ELcom 3U brackets to line up with the screw holes on both sides of the Peak to mount them - I did not drill into the Peak
Great! Thanks for explaining and good news
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

No drilling first!
No full scale manual available. No midi implementaion chart available. No way to know in advance, other than comments like this. Novation being lackluster, imo.
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
No full scale manual available. No midi implementaion chart available. No way to know in advance, other than comments like this. Novation being lackluster, imo.
The 3 pages of midi parameters are at the end of the User guide on the Novation website though. Maybe it wasn't available until recently?
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 3 pages of midi parameters are at the end of the User guide on the Novation website though. Maybe it wasn't available until recently?
A quick glance at a midi chart would tell me if I could do what I want with the Peak. While nice, reading all three pages there doesn't.

Sorry, I get peevish over that sort of thing.
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
A quick glance at a midi chart would tell me if I could do what I want with the Peak. While nice, reading all three pages there doesn't.

Sorry, I get peevish over that sort of thing.
No problem! Its actually quite a confusing chart IMO. Loads of NRPN, not much CC, or at least not in order.
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hmm. Sounds like a cop out. Go big or go home. COMMIT DAMN IT.
Old 19th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;
There seem to be a lot of sounds that this is capable of which aren't my natural home turf, but they sound great intertwined with what I would uuually program myself and make me think that this is an extremely powerful machine. Maybe what a few people have hinted at is true - that it's capable of so many different flavours that it makes it easy to hear it demoing what you don't want at some point whereas it can do all that in spades if the programmer stays just there ... it's just that it can do so much more. I usually like one synth to be just that synth, but perhaps this is a very powerful chameleon. Love that demo even if some of the sororities are not up my usual alley. Thanks for posting.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. I become more amazed with this synth every day, as the demos are all over the map sound-wise. Such a wide palette, great sounds, tons of features, quality build. What's not to like? I think it will become a classic.
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
That is making me think that this is my favourite new poly out of all the options right now simply on it's own merits - not simply on bang for the buck, which this undoubtedly has in spades. I've been very tempted to pick up a system 8, but I recently picked up a Juno after many years without one so I probably have much of what I want covered there. There seem to be a lot of sounds that this is capable of which aren't my natural home turf, but they sound great intertwined with what I would uuually program myself and make me think that this is an extremely powerful machine. Maybe what a few people have hinted at is true - that it's capable of so many different flavours that it makes it easy to hear it demoing what you don't want at some point whereas it can do all that in spades if the programmer stays just there ... it's just that it can do so much more. I usually like one synth to be just that synth, but perhaps this is a very powerful chameleon. Love that demo even if some of the sororities are not up my usual alley. Thanks for posting.
Yeah, it's a very diverse Synth, capable of much more than I thought it would. The Oscillators are excellent on it, nice thick and beefy! Having control over the 3rd Oscillator is great, as opposed to just having a Sub.

Only thing I'm not keen on, is the fact that you can't Sync the oscillators (1 and 2), it has a 'virtual' Sync with a hidden Oscillator, but no control over. I like to manually set up Sync, not just for the classic Sync sounds, but I use them a attack transients.

It does get a bit menu diving at times, but it's manageable and usually the same things, so muscle memory kicks in a bit. I'm happy with it, though mine has to be replaced as 1 of the LED's flickers, but Novation tell me it will be the end of August they get them, so no idea when the stores get them in (UK)
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
[...]

Only thing I'm not keen on, is the fact that you can't Sync the oscillators (1 and 2), it has a 'virtual' Sync with a hidden Oscillator, but no control over. I like to manually set up Sync, not just for the classic Sync sounds, but I use them a attack transients.

[...]
I'm not understanding what control you're missing here. I mean V-Sync is a modulation target, that's a lot of control there.
Old 20th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I'm not understanding what control you're missing here. I mean V-Sync is a modulation target, that's a lot of control there.
Am I correct in assuming that modulating V-sync is the same as modulating the pitch of the master oscillator? And that if you want your standard sync sounds you'd then modulate the slave oscillator per usual which is just whatever osc you've enable V-sync on?
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
It does get a bit menu diving at times, but it's manageable and usually the same things, so muscle memory kicks in a bit.
How would you compare the menu diving between the Peak and the Deepmind 12? Both synths are on my radar. I tried the DM12 in a store and liked the sounds but was surprised how much of the features were in the menus, whereas a glance at the Peak makes me think it has more controls on the surface.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
It is yes, but only the amount of it...Traditional Sync with 2 Oscillators, so say 2>1 would allow the pitch knob to be used, select a wave shape and the Pulse Width/Shape modifier to affect Oscillator 1...Also, you can set an oscillator with fixed pitch across the keyboard...it's much more than just level and it can be done on the front panel.

You can get lots of tonal variety with Sync and not just for the traditional sync sound. The Korg KingKorg did it this way also and I didn't like it.

I want to be able to change the base pitch of the V-Sync oscillator, the wave shape and its modulation....not just the level of it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search