The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Synths (and other gear) with stupid names Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Synths (and other gear) with stupid names

I know it obviously doesn't have any bearing on anything really, but does anyone else find it a bit off-putting when gear manufacturers try to be funny (or whatever) and release products with silly names? I was reading a thread earlier on here about a new synth the 'Manther'. Ugh. Just, don't. I also don't like the name PerFOURmer, and a few others I've seen, especially in the modular/stompbox worlds. Just makes the whole thing seem a bit tacky or cringey or something, i dunno, and i don't want tacky **** in my studio.

I like the old Roland, Korg, Yamaha ways of naming their products. SH-5, MS-20, TG33, etc. We're dealing with technical stuff here, let's have technical names.

Who's with me? And what's the stupidest named equipment you've come across?
Old 8th April 2017
Here for the gear

Slim Phatty. Must've been irresistibly amusing to Moog's marketing department at 3am one morning, but may not stand the test of time.

Like the synth though, but half tempted to put a bit of tape over the name.

Then again, there's Akai's recent predatory mammal obsession...
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Waldorf Strectfrett, because I can never remember how to spell that. Though anyone I misspell it to seems to know what I mean
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleArcher83 View Post
Slim Phatty. Must've been irresistibly amusing to Moog's marketing department at 3am one morning, but may not stand the test of time.

Like the synth though, but half tempted to put a bit of tape over the name..
Aaaah man yeah, the Slim Phatty. Forgot about that one, the absolute pits that is.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Moog Rogue - not necessarily stupid but an odd name with a specific purpose. To make all my friends learn how to pronounce Moog.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

The "Manther" seemed to generate a lot of controversey on another thread.

For some reason I cannot wrap my brain and tongue around "Octatrack", it always comes out "Octacat"

"Minilogue" generated a lot of wordplay when it was announced, everything from "I'm making mini logs, lol" to "Miniloogie" to "Kylie Minilogue"

I have no idea why the MKS-30 also is called the "Planet-S". Pretty sure it's not for Saturn (to follow the Jupiters) because Roland already had the Saturn-09 (which, IMO is a brilliant synth/stringer name).

"Fizmo" would have been a cheesy name in the late 80's, never mind the late 90's. On the Ensoniq flip side (and other end of the timescale) "Mirage" is a brilliant name for a sampler.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Nut

RME Micstasy
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by potscrubber View Post
RME Micstasy
Eeewww!
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Addict

RME Ladyface. To make it even worse, it was pink.
Moog Cluster Flux.
DSI MoPho.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC3 View Post
RME Ladyface. To make it even worse, it was pink.
I'm starting to regret making this thread now. Truly shocking. And sexist.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Virus.

It's a terrible name for emails, google search etc. Especially old Viruses A, B, C. Real diseases appear first...
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Optigan always throws me off. I still don't really know how to say it.

I'm also kind of mad that Moog is pronounced Mogue. Only because it creates this hipster gulf between people in the know and average musicians visiting my studio. They all say "Wow you have a Mooog" then I feel like a jerk if I refer to it with the proper pronunciation. So I just call it a Mooog... then the hipster bassist pipes up for the first time all day and says "It's actually pronounced Mogue... I'm surprized you didn't know that" Ugh.

Of course anything Phatty or Phat. Glad I have a Sub 37. Blofeld?!?

I'm actually surprisingly ok with Deepmind 12. The Brutes are ok too. Although it's stupid that DrumBrute doesn't have a brute knob.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm completely turned off by the recent naming scheme of the Moog semi-modular synths. Mother 32? Brother From Another Mother? I just think those are just incredibly stupid names.

Deepmind deserves a dishonorable mention too...just sounds stupid to me. Some of the modular stuff has dumb names too.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I'm actually surprisingly ok with Deepmind 12.
I'm not. What stupid pretentious name, the product no doubt of a shallow mind.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear
I'm surprised 'Timbre Wolf' wasn't shot down immediately by the Marketing team. <Insert your timbre wolf joke here>
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Korg Mr Shifty was an odd choice for a synth name, didn't sell very well i believe.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

They only named it PerFourmer because Snow would be upset it was named Informer.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam View Post
Korg Mr Shifty was an odd choice for a synth name, didn't sell very well i believe.
Idgi?
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

I realized I would never buy Uli's keyboard because I could never convince my wife that we needed to spend $1000 on something called a Deepmind 12. A close second goes to the Dave Smith Instruments Mother F****r X4.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Beat Thang, there, I said it.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Pro 2. Like the number 2. Poop.

Great synth. Crappy name.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Addict

I just don't like the convention that Roland uses, J this, J that. SH this, SH that. Hard for a noob to keep it all straight. And then when they use actual names, they recycle names but in a way that is totally not appropriate, like Jupiter 8 and Jupiter 80. Implying that this big ass rompler is 10 times the synth as the 8. Get the fvck outta here.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
It's a terrible name for emails, google search etc.
Not a synth, but I'm mention the "Warm" brand name again!

But this is a synth, the Fatman...I'm a largish person, people look at it and then look at me!
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Jupiter-80. The final insult.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Not synths, but it will be pretty much love it or hate it with Metasonix products:

Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
I'm not. What stupid pretentious name, the product no doubt of a shallow mind.
Uli's next synth is going to be geared towards electronic music for the adult film industry- The DeepThroat 12".
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Maschine.. Not necessarily how its spelled (although eh) but how its pronounced....

"Maschine-ah"
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Maschine.. Not necessarily how its spelled (although eh) but how its pronounced....

"Maschine-ah"
It's like the (proper) way to pronounce Porsche. You don't pronounce it "Porsch"!
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm never saying machine-Ah, porch-AH or Mogue. They should have spelled it properly to begin with. Sorry
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
They should have spelled it properly to begin with. Sorry
It IS spelled correctly, in German:

Click here to translate the word MACHINE into German.

Anyway it looks cooler with the German spelling, at least to those who speak English...to me it looks like ordinary spelling if I was back in Germany!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search