The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Quantum
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Ok so i manage to install all of your presets, except for the first patch "Across the Void" this one make my quantum get this "fatal freeze" after it says that it can't find the samples...
So i've got to delete it because it starts on this one & you automatically freeze the os
My only way to bypass was to reboot and change another preset quickly, then get back and delete him.

Also, It's better to imports all the patchs individually instead of import the full file at once, you can get bugs (for me)

nice job anyway

waiting for the vol2 (jd series maybe?)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokodile63 View Post
Ok so i manage to install all of your presets, except for the first patch "Across the Void" this one make my quantum get this "fatal freeze" after it says that it can't find the samples...
Glad it worked, I have no idea why it did not find the samples, they are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokodile63 View Post
waiting for the vol2 (jd series maybe?)
I have a JD-800, so maybe ..
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitud View Post
I spend some time lately playing my Roland D-50 and discovered again that it is a nice crunchy sounding digital board from the 80ies.

I thought the samples could be very useful in the Quantum, so I multi sampled 23 presets and added some Quantum analog filter and modulation magic.

If someone is interested you can find the presets here:
https://f0f7.net/fe/static/QuantumSolid_D50_V1.zip

The presets can just be imported via the Load->Actions->Import function.

I have also made a soundcloud demo

Thanks for posting these.
For anybody with an Iridium - these import and and play without issue
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitud View Post
Glad it worked, I have no idea why it did not find the samples, they are there.

I have a JD-800, so maybe ..
WOW, those samples sound amazing! Did you use sample robot or some other auto sampler or did you have to manually map each sample on the hardware?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
WOW, those samples sound amazing! Did you use sample robot or some other auto sampler or did you have to manually map each sample on the hardware?
Thanks. I used the build in Auto Sampler plugin in Logic X but refined the loop points manually and added crossfades to prevent the pops here and there. Thankfully the Quantum reads the basic mapping from the metadata. Though auto mapping does not work when auto sampled with different velocities or round robin.

I wanted to batch normalize the samples in the terminal with SOX but somehow that killed the meta data. At the end I just increased the gain in the Quantum program, these samples are 24 bits anyway.
Old 25th October 2020
Lives for gear

I tried the Iridium on Saturday ---wow I found the sound disappointing compared the Quantum and returned to shop
Also the build of Iridium seems inferior to Quantum --I was not impressed
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
I tried the Iridium on Saturday ---wow I found the sound disappointing compared the Quantum and returned to shop
Sound difference? I’m surprised. How so? Aside from the obvious analog filter difference?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaish View Post
Sound difference? I’m surprised. How so? Aside from the obvious analog filter difference?
Hi mate Waldorf support have said they use a different D/A
Old 25th October 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone really familiar with NI Absynth and quantum waldorf? Outside of Absynth unique FX, what is missing?

Waldorf should contact NI and cut them in on an addin FX addon. I am really looking for the absynth fx in the quantum...esp [Pipe, Aerthizer]
Lives for gear
Quote:
iridium needs to be set "master>bass boost=on" to have the same "warm" sound profile as quantum.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
iridium needs to be set "master>bass boost=on" to have the same "warm" sound profile as quantum.
I got excited there but bass boost appears to be on by default

I plan on running the Iridium through the Fantom's analogue filter to see what effect that will have when I get it back since I will be playing it from those keys.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
I got excited there but bass boost appears to be on by default

I plan on running the Iridium through the Fantom's analogue filter to see what effect that will have when I get it back since I will be playing it from those keys.
I don't know the default setting now, but when it first came out a few people didn't know about the parameter and had theirs in bass boost=off.
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
As a long term JD-XA user who also has a Fantom and a Quantum i would expect the distortion stage in the Fantom analog FX section (that also holds the filter) to be more important than the filter itself.

However, as i am deeply in love with the Ladder filter variant in JD-XA/Fantom i am very interested in the outcome. Keep us posted please.
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Hi mate Waldorf support have said they use a different D/A
Thanks for clarifying!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The day of 3.0 beta arrival is here, yay!

I havent installed it yet. And perhaps it will take a while for all the emails to go out, so dont panic if you havent got your yet.

Thanks again Rolf for all the ongoing work on this synth
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The beta has added some really nice features and workflow improvements.

the stated improvements:

Quote:
Quantum 3.0 Beta 6:

- Dual Filter
- Analog and digital modes switchable by Tools menu in filter screen
- Digital Filter Models: StateVariable, Nave, Largo, PPG (LPs only), "Quantum" (Compatibility mode from Iridium, LPs only)
- Digital with LP, BP and HP in 12 and 24 dB
- New state parameter with new "Off" and "Bypass" settings

- Filter & Digital Former Pages:
- Optional Spectrum Analyzer overlay to filter curve (Tools menu)
- Optional animation of filter curve depending on modulations

- Layer
- New Master Page
- Controlling both layer levels & pan, big VU meters, controller mode
- New bass boost parameter
- Level Page
- Big VUs
- Amp Envelope display

- Osc Control
- New Tools menu with direct copying of setting from other osc

- Wavetable Osc
- New "Legacy" mode adding some digital dust

- New Reverb params
- mod rate
- mod depth
- LR xfade

but Rolf has been modest in the features listed in the email - there are a few more that really help:

wavetable position is whole integers via encoder in normal mode (but sweeps via dedicated knob)

filter page has "env" button which displays the filter env and changes screen encoders to give env amt and velo amt

digital former has keytrack, ring mod and svf filter type added

pressing screenside semitones encoder changes it to octaves mode

Analog filter cutoff displayed in Hz rather than %

There's probably more that doesn't come to mind.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
The day of 3.0 beta arrival is here, yay!

I havent installed it yet. And perhaps it will take a while for all the emails to go out, so dont panic if you havent got your yet.

Thanks again Rolf for all the ongoing work on this synth
Can you confirm if the envelopes have any additional control such as BPM sync?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinho View Post
Can you confirm if the envelopes have a any additional control such as BPM sync?
no BPM sync in envelopes - as ever, komplex modulator is syncable and has an envelope mode.

this is the start of the 3.0 beta, features were added throughout the 2.0 beta gestation.
Gear Maniac
Just got the mail, but there is no attachment of Quantum 3.0 beta phase. Was the mail just to inform?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Noize View Post
Just got the mail, but there is no attachment of Quantum 3.0 beta phase. Was the mail just to inform?
there was a follow-on email with the firmware
Lives for gear

3.0 was a nice surprise this morning. The two biggies for me as are the wavetable legacy mode (adds noticeable if subtle aliasing) and the osc COPY function! LOL. Was such a pain to get a basic matched 2-osc patch going before. The new digi filter routing option is always nice, especially as I use the bit-crusher a lot.
Gear Maniac
Jippie, got it now! :D
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
and the osc COPY function! LOL. Was such a pain to get a basic matched 2-osc patch going before.
it's funny, that little addition has changed the way I do patches on it. outside of the new filters, it's my favourite addition!
Gear Maniac

For those of us who aren't beta testers, is there a changes list you can share?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordradish View Post
I posted that a few posts back
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordradish View Post
In addition, these are noteworthy

"We will deliver new 3.0 features in several drops. The first drop cares about providing the new digital filter models from Iridium to Quantum."

"We are still early in the process and expect the beta phase to last for quite a while."

I recommend anyone interested to get in on the beta. Drop a message to Rolf and you'll typically get added when the next beta is released. It's very easy to roll back is necessary.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
The beta has added some really nice features and workflow improvements.

the stated improvements:

but Rolf has been modest in the features listed in the email - there are a few more that really help:

wavetable position is whole integers via encoder in normal mode (but sweeps via dedicated knob)

filter page has "env" button which displays the filter env and changes screen encoders to give env amt and velo amt

digital former has keytrack, ring mod and svf filter type added

pressing screenside semitones encoder changes it to octaves mode

Analog filter cutoff displayed in Hz rather than %

There's probably more that doesn't come to mind.
What is the PAd Trigger Sequencer Mode ? Somthing Iridium related ?

The Bass Boost On...is by default ON. Does this replicate the old behaviour, or having it ON does provide more LOW END ? I would say yes, but maybe is just a 1st impression and i am playing with the Filters.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I hope you're all grateful to me. The beta has only arrived because a week ago I sent my quantum back for the screen repair. I called Andertons to see when they sent it to Waldorf and they said yeah, we're sending it to Waldorf shortly (already a week later). Beta 3 will probably be released before I get it back.

I thought I'd console myself with the Prophet that was going to arrive on Sunday but an email arrived today to say end of November. Aaaaaarrrrrgh.

Last edited by UroWho; 4 weeks ago at 05:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Do we get more voices in digital filter mode?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_P View Post
What is the PAd Trigger Sequencer Mode ? Somthing Iridium related ?

The Bass Boost On...is by default ON. Does this replicate the old behaviour, or having it ON does provide more LOW END ? I would say yes, but maybe is just a 1st impression and i am playing with the Filters.
yeah, pad trigger is an iridium mode.

when I tested it, bass boost on sounded like 2.0 - bass boost off lets it sound more digital. Nice to have the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Do we get more voices in digital filter mode?
no - still 8
📝 Reply