The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Quantum
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
When you say outer chasis, are you talking about the dark screws on the metal chasis strip underneath the front of the keybed or the dark screws on the larger main body chasis that the keybed is attached to?

I don't think this worked for me. I loosened the screws on the side of my keybed that has the creaky key (for both that front chasis strip under the keybed and the larger chasis), but it didn't work.

I may need to pop my Quantum open like you did and investigate what the creaking is from.
it's all the dark screws on the bottom side that allow user access to the inside. Id skim through my repair youtube video so if you do decide to fully investigate, you unseat the proper ribbon controllers. Ribbon controllers are like the adapters that connect a hard drive in a pc to a hd port on the mother board. I had keys to replace on both occasions so full open was my only recourse.

I think shipping actually makes the unit come to rest in a way that is not in equilibrium for lack of better word, therefore unscrewing and rescrewing the little screws seems to remedy some of this tension, pure speculation but many folks report back with results, and they simply unscrew, rescrew without diving deeper with a full-on opening, and unseating of ribbon controllers.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

wait wait.... heard about they're working on 16 voice update, not sure is it firmware or hardware update.
is it only rumor or...
?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Firmware...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajnost View Post
wait wait.... heard about they're working on 16 voice update, not sure is it firmware or hardware update.
is it only rumor or...
?
Rolf, the developer of quantum, talked about it here: https://youtu.be/n-Dfx2tR57I?t=1000
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
Rolf, the developer of quantum, talked about it here: https://youtu.be/n-Dfx2tR57I?t=1000
Quite interesting to read the hypothetical brainstorming a few months before the Iridium release about the analog filtering vs digital and the voices. Waldorf Quantum
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Where's that beta at?!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by betteroffted View Post
Where's that beta at?!
Hi

note from the lab: The 3.0 beta is delayed because I am working on some issues to be fixed which I do not like to have happen in the wild. Sorry for that, seems to be a bit tricky to solve, but once this is cleared we can start the party.

Best
Rolf
Old 1 week ago
Awesome, Rolf! Thanks for all your (and your team's) hard work!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfw View Post
Hi

note from the lab: The 3.0 beta is delayed because I am working on some issues to be fixed which I do not like to have happen in the wild. Sorry for that, seems to be a bit tricky to solve, but once this is cleared we can start the party.

Best
Rolf
Great efforts, thank you Rolf! Maybe some news on the forthcoming Kyra update as well? Love both synths so much.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Is Rolf also developing the Kyra Firmware?

If so: I want the Kyra filter in the Quantum/Iridium :-)
Old 2 days ago
I've finally decided to put my Quantum up for sale on Reverb. At this time, I'm only considering Los Angeles-area buyers. I've listed it at $3,999, but am willing to accept offers. I will offer it to anyone here for $3,699. Note that my unit is one of the ones with the factory-installed 8GB flash-RAM module.

Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I've finally decided to put my Quantum up for sale on Reverb. At this time, I'm only considering Los Angeles-area buyers. I've listed it at $3,999, but am willing to accept offers. I will offer it to anyone here for $3,699. Note that my unit is one of the ones with the factory-installed 8GB flash-RAM module.

Did you leave it powered on all day ? 85 days powered on? That sounds a lot for me.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerErris View Post
Did you leave it powered on all day ? 85 days powered on? That sounds a lot for me.
It does, right? I was surprised myself. I guess I did?!?!

[UPDATE:] Now I have my entire studio connected via two Alexa smart-plugs. I say, "Alexa turn on office." This should substantially cut down on my power-on hours, since it's so easy to turn the entire studio on and off. I used to waste a lot of power by just being lazy, thinking I would be "right back" in a few minutes. Highly recommend these for everyone—makes things a lot easier.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerErris View Post
You must have a ton of patches programmed for that thing then
Old 2 days ago
Oh, yeah. So many I can hardly count.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, yeah. So many I can hardly count.
How come you are selling?
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
How come you are selling?
That is a great question! Though I admit, I haven't invested the time required to use the board to its fullest, I often end up frustrated with what I come up with. I have an MPC Live into which I've loaded up all of my Sound Ideas' commercial samples (e.g., wind, rain, thunder, ocean waves, etc.) I've collected over the years, and some field recordings I've made on portable recorders. I select a sample on my MPC and play it out into the Quantum's analog inputs, trim, normalize and save.

Here's the part where I get stuck. Many of the samples I want to either play in realtime or time-stretched (i.e., not granulized). Since the Quantum doesn't do time-stretching, I have to stretch in either the MPC Live or in Serato Sample (I'm not time-stretching to make "beats," I'm doing it for the effect of slowed-down sounds).

But many samples I simply want to play at-speed. Let's say I just want to play a police siren at-speed. I just get very confused between granular and regular playback and I'm not exactly sure what the workflow is for that. I mainly want to import my samples, play them back at-speed, then manipulate them with the digital former and X-Y effects, then perhaps add a waveform or some other oscillator.

So here's a specific question, for which if I find an answer, may persuade me to keep it: I'm able to play back samples at-speed by pressing PLAY in GLOBAL. But I don't seem to be able to route sample-playback through the digital formers. What am I missing?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
So here's a specific question, for which if I find an answer, may persuade me to keep it: I'm able to play back samples at-speed by pressing PLAY in GLOBAL. But I don't seem to be able to route sample-playback through the digital formers. What am I missing?
the play in global>audio is just like a self contained sampler/editor - you can't route its output to the digital former.

if you want to route a sample through the digital former, from scratch you could go:

load > init
press particle button for oscillator 1
tap actions
[tap import if you need to bring the sample in from sd card/usb first]
tap add and select the sample
now this will play across the entire keyboard with its speed/pitch adjusted
to stop this and just have it play "at-speed" for every note, tap control then set "pitch keytrack" to 0.
now you can set up the digital former/dual filters/effects as you want.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
the play in global>audio is just like a self contained sampler/editor - you can't route its output to the digital former . . .
Yeah, I didn't think so.

Quote:
. . . if you want to route a sample through the digital former, from scratch you could go . . .
Got it! Thanks a lot! Boy, do I feel dumb. Now I get it. No wonder I wanted to sell—I didn't understand the most basic thing about this board. I just made a patch with a VA-saw, my comb-filtered Sound Ideas' wind samples, and an uber-phasered police siren—sounds amazing! Gotta take down that Reverb ad!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
if you want to have a number of different samples set to individual keys that play back at their original speed, you can do that too - but it's a bit more complicated:

load > init
press particle button for oscillator 1
tap actions
[tap import if you need to bring the sample in from sd card/usb first]

tap add and select the sample
set the "from note" and "to note" to the key you want to trigger it - eg setting both to c1 will be the first note of the keyboard
the sample will be pitched down 2 octaves as the quantum sample pitch keytracking is centred around c3 - so change the pitch parameter (above "from note") to the key you've set eg c1

go back to actions>add (or import) and repeat eg setting from/to note and pitch to d1 and so on for each sample you want to assign

you could do this for a number of backing loops, setting it to split layer mode and have these loop trigger keys on one layer using a single voice, and then have the other layer as a synth patch that you can play live/sequence over the top: layer button>voices>timbre mode=split>set min and max key for each layer.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
if you want to have a number of different samples set to individual keys that play back at their original speed, you can do that too . . .
Wow! You literally read my mind, Paul! That was my very next question! That's great! Really appreciate this key advice. Your step-by-step instructions are easy to follow and spot-on. How to use the split/layer mode for this application was my next question! If you were in L.A., I would invite you over for high-tea! Thank you so much!!!

Quote:
. . . Gotta take down that Reverb ad!
My Quantum is no longer for sale!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
My Quantum is no longer for sale!
I figured that was going to be the outcome.

Congrats!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
How to use the split/layer mode for this application was my next question!
assuming you've done the above and have 4 samples on c1,d1,e1 and f1 and want to split it so that uses a single voice on layer 1 and you have 7 voices on layer 2 for other stuff:

press layer button
tap voices
timbre mode=split
voices=1
min key=c1
max key=f1

tap layer 2 (bottom right of screen)
min key=g1
max key = c6

then you can set up layer 2 as you wish

if you want to be able to set the samples on layer 1 looping:

tap layer 1
osc1>timbre>
select sample>tap edit> set loop mode=on > close > repeat for each sample

decide how you want to trigger them:
option 1) latch button: play key to start loop, playing same key again will stop the loop. playing a different key will play a different loop but you may need to press it twice.

option 2)chord button: play key to start the loop playing and pressing the same key will just restart the loop, pressing another key will start a different sample looping. to stop you have to press layer 1 button then press chord to turn it off

[ in case it's not obvious, chord/latch mode is settable for each layer independently based on which layer you are currently in ]
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
. . . if you want to be able to set the samples on layer 1 looping . . .
Yes! That was my next question (how to loop/cycle the samples)!!! Excellent tips! Thanks, Paul!!! Let me try all that and see if I have it right . . .
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
something else to add, this is just using a single particle oscillator - you could load samples into all 3 oscillators and map them so each key plays 3 different samples (one from each oscillator). then you can use the osc 1/2/3 mix knobs whilst in layer 1 to live-mix the 3 sample loops. It would still be just a single voice being used for layer 1.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
something else to add . . . It would still be just a single voice being used for layer 1.
Excellent, Paul! Thanks again!!! I did that in my first attempt; I put the siren in OSC1 and the wind in OSC2, with a VA-SAW in OSC3, but didn't get to mapping them explicitly (by "mapping" you mean setting specific key-ranges for each, right?). The splits/layers really opens up a lot of sample-playback options!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
by "mapping" you mean setting specific key-ranges for each, right?)
yeah, but it is specific to samples - we can't set key ranges at the oscillator level for the waveform/va oscillator.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
yeah, but it is specific to samples - we can't set key ranges at the oscillator level for the waveform/va oscillator.
Yes, got it! Thank you again!
📝 Reply