The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Quantum
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
Just noticed this little addition in the 2.0 manual

I love Waldorf's sense of humour. It was evident in my Q manual back in the day, too and even from their messages / signatures in the rare times I had to contact Waldorf support. Keep it up!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
actually this was supposed to be the wave 2. the peak and summit are future classics in their own right but the wavetable editor is pretty weak.
Isn't that a fake?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaish View Post
Check the onscreen "X-Y touchpad" again. Should be much more responsive after your 2.0 upgrade.

I saw the same - almost seemed like processor lag vs touchscreen response as all other screens (and areas of the screen) were OK, but 2.0 fixed it for me...
Yep, much improved, just gave it a check.

Really enjoying this so far. I waited until I heard the FX so I could decide what it needs outboard, and while they are not bad like the blofeld, they are limited. That’s what I expect from onboard effects for the most part. Ordered an Empress Reverb and now plan on getting a nice delay this Friday. I’m not sure what, though. The echo system sounds nice, but 450 is a lot for a delay, same with the strymons. I used to have a source audio nemesis, maybe that’s a good option. I probably need a mod pedal as well.

What are you all using as your Fx chains?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post

What are you all using as your Fx chains?
The FX might not be stellar on it's own but the cool thing with the Quantum FX is that they are part of the synthesis engine.
You can modulate Delay time with the LFOs, same goes for the Reverb settings like increase Reverb Time on velocity or keytrack and such. That cannot be done easily with outboard gear.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitud View Post
The FX might not be stellar on it's own but the cool thing with the Quantum FX is that they are part of the synthesis engine.
You can modulate Delay time with the LFOs, same goes for the Reverb settings like increase Reverb Time on velocity or keytrack and such. That cannot be done easily with outboard gear.
Very true. I like having the option, though. I definitely agree the delay is part of the patch a lot of the time, but it’s good to have one handy as well, but I’m not spending money on a top of the line one for it. The reverb I definitely wanted my own, though, with more options.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Well guys I might consider keeping the Quantum if we get interpolation option in the menu - normal (existing), linear and OFF. Yeah you read it right, the third option disables it completely (nearest neighbor algorithm). Because the filter on a Quantum is analogue, i want to be given an option to make input samples sound harsh. I tried the existing bit reducer but didn't had much success (i could not hear any strong harmonic distortion), while sample rate reducer more less adds a constant tone in the high freq. With interpolation option off, i am sure these two effects in Digital Filter section would sound more pronounced and with more character. Existing sample engine offers only clean option and the analogue filter has nothing interesting to do with that - in fact with such clean setup you might as well use a stock Logic EXS24 Sampler.

The reason PPG had a filter was exactly because the raw samples were extremely harsh and you had to tame them down a lot. In fact when you fully open a filter on a PPG a Choir sound turns almost into 9600 kbps modem sound. Now THAT is what i want to put thru that analogue filter on Quantum. I want strong harmonic distortion! I want to put a lot of artifacts and harsh overtones into that filter on Quantum so that it has to work HARD and sweat to tame down those harmonics. Let it cook!!!! Add some resonance and enjoy the CHARACTER of the filter!!! Because i am sure it has the character. It was just not put thru the HARD pace yet.
The trick for the sample rate reducer is to modulate the sampling frequency with the keyboard pitch. This gives proper pitch tracking "per voice" and really yields some nice character in the low end. I use this mainly for samples for a vintage sampler feel, but can be applied to anything. Just tried with wavetables--throw "harsh" on and stepping, and you're getting somewhere close to the originals!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaish View Post
I love Waldorf's sense of humour. It was evident in my Q manual back in the day, too and even from their messages / signatures in the rare times I had to contact Waldorf support. Keep it up!
A little OT here, but yeah, I needed to check something recently in the Streichfett manual and saw this unexpected jewel:
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Quantum-screenshot_2020-06-17-streichfett_manual_v1-streichfett_manual_en-pdf.png  
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwave View Post
No Waldorf hardware synth got this harsh quality of the non fixed sample rate feed directly into the SSM filter without any for of anti-aliasing filter. And the way the two oscillators were mixed (actually it was interleaved values of the two Osc at the D/A) made the sound full of actually unintended aliasing and harmonics. I still like this. But you only got the smoothed version sound wise from a Quantum.
It is interesting to notice that PPG 2.0 was variable clock rate while 2.2 and 2.3 are fixed rate. There is a nice source in here: taxonomy of early digital synthesizers

I always say if you want to know what's *hot*, follow the money. With PPG's hitting 7 grand there is definitely something goin on: A large desire in the market for that sound.

Quote:
Und vielen Dank für die großartigen analogen Quantum 2.0 Klänge!
Danke dir.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I did some multi samples to use my Quantum on stage to double as Mellotron. So I don't have to take my Memotron with me all the time. And you can do some nice things, the real Memotron or Mellotrons don't do onboard: Like adding the good phaser (I got a setting close enough in live situations to double as Schulte Compact Phaser).
Hey, I have an Iridium coming, next week, and have been thinking about how to get some Tron patches in there... how many did you do? Are they available to share? Thanks.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Almost all demos are pads and textures.

How is the Quantum/Iridium for big wide Serum/Massive style evil growly aggressive dubstep/dnb basses? Does it have the equivalent of the Serum warp modes? Can you draw in lfo shapes?

Do you know any demos showing it's abilities in this area?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Sure it can do aggressive basses.

In addition to the factory wavetables, you can load in your own (inc the serum ones if you want), or resynthesize them from samples.

There's no direct equivalent of warp modes, but you can do linear/phase fm, exponential fm, am, ring or wavetables position modulation between 6 operators/kernels of factory wavetables.

Also, iridium/quantum can handle wavetables with more waveforms in them than serum (430 at 2,048 sample vs 256 in serum) - so you could always use a wavetable with the warp baked in.

The LFOs use standard waveforms that can be shaped/warped - but if you want to draw a waveform then the Komplex Modulator is the way to go for that. You can draw 2 different curves and then morph between them too - and it can run as a global LFO or per voice.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
Sure it can do aggressive basses.

In addition to the factory wavetables, you can load in your own (inc the serum ones if you want), or resynthesize them from samples.

There's no direct equivalent of warp modes, but you can do linear/phase fm, exponential fm, am, ring or wavetables position modulation between 6 operators/kernels of factory wavetables.

Also, iridium/quantum can handle wavetables with more waveforms in them than serum (430 at 2,048 sample vs 256 in serum) - so you could always use a wavetable with the warp baked in.

The LFOs use standard waveforms that can be shaped/warped - but if you want to draw a waveform then the Komplex Modulator is the way to go for that. You can draw 2 different curves and then morph between them too - and it can run as a global LFO or per voice.
Thanks for that clarification. Can you point me in the direction of any demos that show this side of it?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
don't know of any demos - I would just be searching youtube like you can yourself.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Don Solaris;14827375I always say if you want to know what's *hot*, follow the money. With PPG's hitting 7 grand there is definitely something goin on: A large desire in the market for that sound.

Danke dir. [/QUOTE]

Because wealthy corksniffing collectors are the types to be idealized?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
Because wealthy corksniffing collectors are the types to be idealized?
I think it all boils down to a point of reference. We all have a name/nickname, one avatar image, a post count and nothing more known about the other. Yet our posts are equally "loud".

It is just that i think that you and I walk among different sorts of people. I hang around with film/tv composers and sound designers whose products are used everywhere, from Hollywood to Bollywood. Many of them have a PPG. While those who don't wouldn't mind having one.

OTOH if you hang out of a Jeff who produced the latest famous act that performed in a local club in front of 3 people and a dog, then perhaps Jeff isn't a good point of reference. Because according to Jeff, anything that cost more than a cracked copy of Serum is "not worth the money".

Of course YMMV. There are collectors out there, that part I agree with.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think it all boils down to a point of reference. We all have a name/nickname, one avatar image, a post count and nothing more known about the other. Yet our posts are equally "loud".

It is just that i think that you and I walk among different sorts of people. I hang around with film/tv composers and sound designers whose products are used everywhere, from Hollywood to Bollywood. Many of them have a PPG. While those who don't wouldn't mind having one.

OTOH if you hang out of a Jeff who produced the latest famous act that performed in a local club in front of 3 people and a dog, then perhaps Jeff isn't a good point of reference. Because according to Jeff, anything that cost more than a cracked copy of Serum is "not worth the money".

The prices that people want to charge for vintage synthesizers now are insane....
Would I pay 7k for a PPG Wave 2.3 now? No, I wouldn’t but that’s me.
Would I pay 15k for a Jupiter 8? No, I wouldn’t.
Would I pay 10k for a Memorymoog? No, I wouldn’t.
Think of all the great new synthesizers that exist today and how many you could buy for that kind of money.
Will people continue to buy these at these exorbitant prices? Yes, yes they will.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Man, Jeff just can't catch a break.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

i mean really, youre going this route?

ive got friends with rooms full of synths

ive had rooms full of synth

blah blah blah, i could go on, none of that means anything, its lame af.

should i tell the 3 girl story, to one up you?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
i mean really, youre going this route?
There are plenty of PPG users on this board. Ask them is it worth the money.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Nobody can decide what is of value to someone else. Basic fact.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

wow i kinda lost track of this thread and was just trying to catch up when this quote made me throw up in my mouth a little
Quote:

pretentious elitist much? the topic doesn't even matter anymore, thats just a terrible attitude.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Willing to bet $7k that none of these people spent $7k on one.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by james gardener View Post
wow i kinda lost track of this thread and was just trying to catch up when this quote made me throw up in my mouth a little

pretentious elitist much? the topic doesn't even matter anymore, thats just a terrible attitude.
Neither pretentious or elitist. Here's the breakdown:

1. Mr Solaris made a benignly neutral comment about an emerging trend : "if you want to know what's *hot*, follow the money. With PPG's hitting 7 grand there is definitely something goin on"

2. Synthstrategy's snide reply, "Because wealthy corksniffing collectors are the types to be idealized?" borders on an ad hominem and gross distortion of what Mr Solaris wrote. No interpretation of Mr Solaris' statement implies judgement on those willing to spend '7 grand'- it was a neutral observation of a possible trend. Further, Synthstrategy's use of the phrase "wealthy corksniffing" without factual basis betrays underlying class envy or contempt.

3. Mr Solaris follows up with a well constructed, witty retort. First he lays out his argument's credentials that a trend exists in a simple manner: explaining who those people are and, as a professional peer, has first hand knowledge of their instrument purchases, specifically PPGs.
Mr Solaris then utilizes a compare and contrast technique using the very real upper echelon group he knows vs. a hypothetical opposite extreme, in this case hapless Jeff. (If Mr Solaris erred in this argument I'm fairly certain that among Jeff's audience was an indifferent cat, not dog.)

4. Synthstrategy's emotional reply to this deserves no analysis other than he ends it alluding to his sexual prowess.

5. Mr Solaris is accused of elitism for stating that he mixes with very accomplished crowd in the music business, knows what they're buying, and that, yes, they're better positioned to influence future sound design than an imaginary or even real Jeff; or TEEiselberg for that matter, whose audience is only an indifferent cat.
---------------------------------------
Apologies for OT and no ill will toward anyone, but needed to be said.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEiselberg View Post
Synthstrategy's emotional reply to this deserves no analysis other than he ends it alluding to his sexual prowess
I wouldn't mind hearing that 3-girl story, though.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

They were British grannies, if my sources are to be trusted....
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungbeans View Post
Are there any Quantum owners who also had a TI when they go their Quantum, if so did you keep the Virus, if not did you miss anything about it?

I've got a Virus and planning to get an Iridium and will be getting rid of a few things to justify to the misses getting the Iridium. I currently have a Peak, TI, Wavestate and Blofeld and will probably get rid of 3 of them.
I never thought I'd ever consider parting with my Virus but I'm wondering if I'll ever actually use it if I get an Iridium.
If you had a TI before the Quantum, did you keep it or not?
The TI2 is still my main synth. I got an Iridium BECAUSE I think it'll be a perfect compliment to the Virus.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

I'm getting an Error Importing message right off the bat when trying to add a few field recordings.

The original file was recorded at 96k 24 bit. Has since been converted to 44.1k at 24 bit in Logic Pro. About 170mb in size. Both WAV and AIFF, neither work.

Quantum throws up this message immediately on import from both USB and SD card. Is there something about the original file being converted down that Quantum doesn't like?

Haven't had this issue before otherwise and have def imported larger files.

EDIT: Solved

I called Jeff and he told me to check my available memory... Turns out I have 0 MB of sample memory remaining.

Last edited by betteroffted; 4 days ago at 02:19 AM.. Reason: Solved
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think this is the wrong thread for this discussion since people just spent $4k on something they believe will sound like a PPG.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
Willing to bet $7k that none of these people spent $7k on one.
I bought my first PPG Wave 2.3 for $4500 brand new and my Waveterm B brand new for $5500 so combined I’d be well over that.

Last edited by DEVO1982; 4 days ago at 03:48 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellaris View Post
I think this is the wrong thread for this discussion since people just spent $4k on something they believe will sound like a PPG.
The Quantum is more than capable of making excellent PPG sounds.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear