The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Waldorf Quantum
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Just a sanity check - have you checked you have enough storage space via global>system?

Also, have you tried loading the sample back into the audio editor in global>audio?
Old 2 weeks ago
thanks again.... i checked the storage and indeed it does say 0 mb free in the sample partition...... i then deleted a bunch of samples but it still says 0mb free and i'm getting the same error messages when i try to import anything.... is it possible that i'm having problems with the internal memory, or is there something that i need to re calibrate?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Sounds like this is above my pay-grade, hopefully someone far smarter can sort this for you.
Old 2 weeks ago
it would be great if someone would do a file management tutorial for the quantum... it's a great instrument and easy to use considering how deep it is, but i am struggling with this aspect in general. perhaps others are as well
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigdagod View Post
I know rolf said he sent SampleRobot the information they need to assist in this arena, but haven't heard anything from SampleRobot about it so far. I think I might email them to see what the status is on that.
Tight, please keep us posted!! I really just need 1 killer piano preset to pair with all the other goodies this synth has to offer. It did come with a piano sample but its not that great.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Has anyone noticed a problem w DIN Midi OUT not working after the latest beta update? Mine seems to have stopped. It’s all turned on in global settings...but alas no output.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Just tried it and DIN midi out is working fine for me for notes - just needed to turn the output on in global>midi>outputs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Reply from SampleRobot

Quote:
Thanks for your message. Indeed, Rolf has sent the spex. But we need a
Quantum for debugging here which has not yet arrived.

I will let you know as soon as we have implemented this format.

Thanks again and best regards from Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
Has anyone noticed a problem w DIN Midi OUT not working after the latest beta update? Mine seems to have stopped. It’s all turned on in global settings...but alas no output.
I had an issue where live granular would not work. I thought it was me or my preset I saved so I went back to Beta 6 and it worked right away. So I updated to Beta 7 again and my preset worked right away. So maybe something got lost in the update or it didn't take all the way, but I would try that to see if it would help.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Reply from SampleRobot
I love this whole endevour more and more every day.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Does anyone have a midi map they would love to share? Specifically for Studio One if you have one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had an issue where live granular would not work. I thought it was me or my preset I saved so I went back to Beta 6 and it worked right away. So I updated to Beta 7 again and my preset worked right away. So maybe something got lost in the update or it didn't take all the way, but I would try that to see if it would help.
AND....that solved my problem! Weird...but thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
AND....that solved my problem! Weird...but thank you!
Problems which actually get solved, the joy of beta participation :D
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Following on from before, and building on what Don posted, this is to save people having to reinvent the wheel in using the adventure kid single-cycle waveforms (https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/wav...kid-waveforms/) to make custom wavetables for the quantum (ie for that hydrasynth vibe).

Attached are the 4,358 adventure kid waveforms in one folder, all ready converted to 1024 samples long.

Here's how to make a custom wavetable from them on a mac (added: see a couple of posts down to see a cross-platform browser based way of doing this):

to install sox (used to join the files into a wavetable):
download sox from https://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/files/sox/
unzip and use finder to copy sox file to /usr/local/bin ( to see this folder, you may need to open finder>Go>Go To Folder - and enter /usr/local/bin

To make the wavetable from the desired waveforms:
make a folder on the desktop (will call it akwf in example) and copy the individual waveform files you want into it and rename them in order eg 001.wav 002.wav etc (for this, I like to use the commercial iced audio audiofinder, with loop on and use the onscreen keyboard to set pitch to audition the waveforms)
open terminal (in applications/utilities) and enter:
cd ~/Desktop/akwf
sox $(ls *.wav | sort -n) nameofwavetable.wav
Use finder and drag nameofwavetable.wav to the sd card/usb stick you use in the quantum
on quantum: tools>import from .wav>select nameofwavetable.wav>load>select 1024 for period

I've also attached a sample 6 waveform wavetable called akwf1.wav
Attached Files
File Type: zip AKWF_1024.zip (9.14 MB, 11 views)

akwf1.wav (12.0 KB, 937 views)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
A cross-platform alternative to sox is to use the online/browser tool at: https://clideo.com/merge-wav

That will join up to 200 waveform files.

just drag the desired wav files to that and download the merged wav and import that into the quantum as above.

I've attached an example 1024 wavetable file containing the first 200 adventure kid waveforms.
Attached Files

akwf_wt1024_0_200.wav (400.1 KB, 693 views)

Old 1 week ago
Is there a setting where an OSC can bypass the effects, much like it can bypass the filters?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
It'd be useful to control what is sent to the effects, but they're currently configured as insert effects that sit after everything has been combined and run through the VCA/AMP (the VCA being the furthest point in the signal path where we can directly send an OSC). The only controls over what enters each effect is bypass and wet/dry.

You could use a second layer without effects, but that affects the polyphony.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfw View Post
:-)
Well Rolf, vacation time for me too.

Guess what goes first into the trunk.

Also let me know if you need some fresh Laurel leaves for seasoning and cooking. I got a whole three in the garden.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Well Rolf, vacation time for me too.
don't be distracted by life's pleasures.
keep on making those patches
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I've been having a lot of fun using the adventure kid waveforms as wavetables, and figure other quantum owners might enjoy using these too, but without the hassle of making them

I've randomized the order of the 4000+ mono waveforms and batched them into wavetables of 200 waveforms each (except file 21 which is 158).

There is a version with 1024 samples per waveform, which is the nearest higher value to the original 600 samples that the quantum can handle, for the closest fidelity to the originals.

There is also a version with 128 samples per waveform. The reason I've included this is that there are a lot of timbres to explore by importing these at higher period values, eg importing these but setting the period value to 512 will join 4 waveforms into 1 - giving 50 wavefroms in the wavetable, but at a higher frequency with more going in within each timbre.

the order of the waveforms within the wavetables are different between the 1024 and 128 versions.

Again, to use, unzip and copy them to the sd card (or usb drive with beta) and then on quantum: wavetable>timbre>tools>import from .wav>set the period eg 1024.

I prefer to set up my own modulation of the position via the mod matrix so I can define a specific region to scan rather than using travel which scans the entire wavetable, but it's all good.

Don't forget that the wavetable oscillator lets us change how they are traversed via the "stepped" setting, which can have a big impact on the resulting timbre. Smooth interpolates between each waveform, stepped is a hard change between each waveform, and there are 2/4/8 step variants that are hard changes that skip waveforms.
Attached Files
File Type: zip akwf_wt128_200.zip (1.00 MB, 8 views) File Type: zip akwf_wt1024_200.zip (7.58 MB, 11 views)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Amazing. Thank you very much for sharing
Old 1 week ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
I've been having a lot of fun using the adventure kid waveforms as wavetables, and figure other quantum owners might enjoy using these too, but without the hassle of making them

I've randomized the order of the 4000+ mono waveforms and batched them into wavetables of 200 waveforms each (except file 21 which is 158).

There is a version with 1024 samples per waveform, which is the nearest higher value to the original 600 samples that the quantum can handle, for the closest fidelity to the originals.

There is also a version with 128 samples per waveform. The reason I've included this is that there are a lot of timbres to explore by importing these at higher period values, eg importing these but setting the period value to 512 will join 4 waveforms into 1 - giving 50 wavefroms in the wavetable, but at a higher frequency with more going in within each timbre.

the order of the waveforms within the wavetables are different between the 1024 and 128 versions.

Again, to use, unzip and copy them to the sd card (or usb drive with beta) and then on quantum: wavetable>timbre>tools>import from .wav>set the period eg 1024.

I prefer to set up my own modulation of the position via the mod matrix so I can define a specific region to scan rather than using travel which scans the entire wavetable, but it's all good.

Don't forget that the wavetable oscillator lets us change how they are traversed via the "stepped" setting, which can have a big impact on the resulting timbre. Smooth interpolates between each waveform, stepped is a hard change between each waveform, and there are 2/4/8 step variants that are hard changes that skip waveforms.
Thanks I’d love to hear some audio examples - are the wavetables named?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
@ Paul_xyz

Many, many thanks to you for your generosity ! I must admit that all that stuff (512>600>1024 samples ) had left me behind, especially while reading your recent messages...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
are the wavetables named?
not sure what you mean by that. when doing an import from .wav, they just pull in with the filename - but show in the wavetable selection parameter as "user osc 1/2/3". They save embedded in the patch itself, or they can be saved out/loaded in using the tools>save/load wavetable function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamuzik View Post
I must admit that all that stuff (512>600>1024 samples ) had left me behind, especially while reading your recent messages...
sorry about that. the adventure kid waveforms are 4,000+ files where each file is a single waveform cycle (ie what you'd play for each cycle of the oscillator) and they're 600 samples long.

We can pull those in individually using "tools>load single cycle" - but that just creates a wavetable containing the single adventure kid waveform morphing to a sine wave, rather than being a wavetable of multiple adventure kid waveforms.

The quantum's "import from .wav" can work with wavetables with waveforms set to 64/128/256/512/1024/2048/4096 samples per waveform. As the quantum plays a waveform for each cycle of the oscillator, that means it is playing that number of samples per oscillator cycle too - ie 261.63 times per second for middle c multiplied by the number of samples per cycle.

So when combining them into a wavetable, I had to adjust the waveforms from 600 to one of those values to be able to bring them in and use them. 1024 is the next higher value from the 600 original. That's the one to use when wanting the closest thing to the original waveforms.

Converting down from 600 to 128 was done so the wavetables could be pulled in at higher multiples of samples per waveform/cycle than the actual 128.

That means if they're "import from .wav" with a quantum waveform sample length of, say, 512 (the "period" number we're asked to select when importing) - it makes a wavetable by combining every 4 of those 128 waveforms into a single 512 sample long waveform which it would play per oscillator cycle (ie 261.63 times a second for middle c). Because it's now playing a waveform containing 4 cycle samples per actual quantum oscillator cycle, it pitches it up by 2 octaves.

Hope that's clearer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Forgive me if this has been asked already, but can we bulk upload wavetables, or do we need to load each wavetable one by one?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wald View Post
don't be distracted by life's pleasures.
keep on making those patches
Working around the clock! Had the eureka moment today. Found a way how to map over hundred samples to each individual key across all 9 octaves that Quantum gives. Or map any sample group to any key range i want to, without need for any software or touching Quantum. Just good ole Linux command prompt and some hackin'. It will take a total of 1 seconds to map 108 samples to their respective keys from now! Hip Hip! Hooray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamuzik View Post
! I must admit that all that stuff (512>600>1024 samples
It is a temporary solution. However I will have to distance myself in here and say that the SoX instructions i gave apply only for periodic waves that contain wavetable period sizes that Quantum supports (256/512/1024...). I can guarantee perfect accuracy only for those. Any resampling outside 1:2 ratios / speed changing of the single cycle waveform will alter the phase content and as a result the waveform will no longer contain exact 100% harmonics. As i wrote earlier, use at own risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberheim View Post
Forgive me if this has been asked already, but can we bulk upload wavetables, or do we need to load each wavetable one by one?
In 2.0 select a folder that contains wavetables. Load one wavetable as a wav. And now when in oscillator you can move to the previous/next wavetable in that folder.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
@ Paul_xyz

So it's clearer ! Thank you again for the lesson.
Old 1 week ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Paul my post was not clear, my question was and there is a lot of wavetables, are they named, bellish, mallet etc it would help to know the ball park of the table being imported.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberheim View Post
I don't know of any way to bring them into internal memory in bulk - but is that something you really need to do? You can browse/import them easily enough from an sd card/usb drive (with beta) and if you use them they are saved within the patch itself.

As Don noted above, you can move between the wavetable files in a folder (inc sd card/usb) easily enough using the previous and next screen buttons (not the physical ones, they change patch).

Quote:
Paul my post was not clear, my question was and there is a lot of wavetables, are they named, bellish, mallet etc it would help to know the ball park of the table being imported.
they were all randomized - it's a lucky dip what you get in each batch of 200 waveforms.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The adventure kid waves are individual waves. Think Prophet VS.

So the wavetables are not continous wavetables, but rather a collection of waves, similar to the upper waves on PPGs or the ALT 1 and 2 wavetables in Waldorf Q and Blofeld.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
As Don noted above, you can move between the wavetable files in a folder (inc sd card/usb) easily enough using the previous and next screen buttons (not the physical ones, they change patch).
I wonder if the pre OS 2.0 does not have this feature. I have noticed we get this question popping every once in a while.

To continue the "debate" i've noticed you deleted your post. I believe for some types of waveforms the difference will be minimal. But with others there might be some pronounced difference. I am not trying to say that original sounds better than the re-sampled version. I just wanted to point out to the authenticity factor in here. For 600 sample size, best would be for Quantum to support it. But until then, second best is to re map it to 1024. Third option is to round it to 512. I encourage people to try all and compare to originals if they have software that can load 600 samples per wave wavetable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search