Waldorf Quantum
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Brilliant - thanks Don.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroWho View Post
Drives me a bit crazy. You need to put the LFO onto global or it resets on every keypress. Hence always sounds the same. Wish that global was the default.
Put LFO phase to max to get it free running per individual voice. Global is more for getting all voices „same“ LFO.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is it possible for the sequencer to play chords per step? I know, with 8 voices you'd use up resources quickly this way, but it's something I'd expect on a sequencer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfw View Post
Ok, Reading all what has been written about what to add to seqs, these make all sense. No promises made, but what would be a feature reaching sky level?
ok so i didn't read all the other requests and i actually never touched the sequencer on my quantum yet, so not sure if this is old news.

but one abolute killer sequencer feature for me would be a force-to-notes on a running sequence. like a mix between an arpeggiator and a sequencer if that makes sense? i might have described it in here before.
the native kontrol keyboards have about 8 built in phrases (instead of a full blown seq) that will be forced-to-keys/notes as described. also the max4life plugin Arpeggio Designer does a great job at this. It is so much more inspiring and fun to write melodies & chord progrgessions as opposed to either a basic up/down arp or a normal sequencer. ntoe i don't mean a seq that shifts the whole sequence to a diff root key but rather just adapts all the notes in the sequence to the currently pressed keys.

other than the NI keysboards i don't know of any hardware synth/sequencer that is capable of this, even though it's only minimal effort on the dev side. there's some other software solutions but nothing as immediate as built into a synth. you can break rgounds with this feature.
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by james gardener View Post
one abolute killer sequencer feature for me would be a force-to-notes on a running sequence. like a mix between an arpeggiator and a sequencer if that makes sense?
DSI calls it gate sequencer (on my Rev2).

Roland calls it programmable arpeggiator (on my JD-XA, people tend to overlook it and moan how it is a missing feature).

On my Two Voice its called Keyb Trans (Keyboard transpose i assume).

On my Dominion i had to hold a button, then press the key to do the transposition (worst implementation ever).

On Montage/MODX the arpeggiator work like this, but can not be edited on the synth itself, which renders it pretty useless most of the time. Which is the number one reason why i recently sold my MODX 7.

To make a long story short, its a pretty common feature.. however, its easy to implement it wrong or un-intuitive ways.

Quantum has a keyboard (to step notes in, and to transpose the sequence) and a touch display to step pauses and to tie notes. So it should be an easy implementation.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I’ve seen Serum Wavetables for sale online, is it possible to load those into the Quantum?

Are there other Wavetable sources online that are worth considering? Any recommendations?

This synth is sooooo good!!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfw View Post
Ok, Reading all what has been written about what to add to seqs, these make all sense. No promises made, but what would be a feature reaching sky level?
The number 1 sequencer feature i would like to have in a fully fledged synths/sampler is what the Ryktnk sequencer does. Better known as Metropolis. My head explodes considering the possibilities in conjunction with the new mod lanes.

It should be a breeze to edit on my newly flashed touchscreen.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberheim View Post
I’ve seen Serum Wavetables for sale online, is it possible to load those into the Quantum?

Are there other Wavetable sources online that are worth considering? Any recommendations?
Serum factory wavetables work fine (2048 period), so I'd expect third party ones to work too.

Can also load in factory wavetables from Icarus (2048 period) and Codex (512 period) if you have those synth plugins.

Here are some wavetables you might find interesting:

http://www.ppg.synth.net/download.shtml - (128 period)

There are also lists of free ones like this: https://www.antidoteaudio.com/free-serum-wavetables
Old 3 weeks ago
Current progress on the Waldorf Quantum wavetable development

Part 2 - The Prophet VS story
I write my previous post late at night, it was a bit cryptic, so decided to go with full info instead, because the former idea wasn't too useful. Ok... so where do we begin. I guess with the first waveforms i downloaded from the web. Actually i downloaded just two and they were enough to figure out we're on the wrong path. I love when folks who are not familiar with the subject get the idea they should do a job about that same subject and as a result we got a set of Prophet VS waveforms available for download here. Seems great at the first sight, but for anyone working with the Prophet VS waveforms and building a set will tell you there is a problem in here. A single Prophet VS waveform is 128 samples long, and definitely not 336 samples as the previous link suggested. At that point you realize you need to do the whole job yourself. To cut the long story short, eventually i got Prophet's internal waveforms in their original 128 samples long size. But they still had one little problem. And this dates back to the days of when they were designed. Most of them were not named or marked or given any description. So this is where the new work started. I took time and analyzed each individual waveform then what i would do is to write tags that would describe it. I used a limited set of words. And working in Linux i used tags directly in its file name, because that will later help me a lot in that same Linux system. More on that in a moment.

Looking on the above image we can see directories built. Sharp eyes will also notice a directory called 1-47 and the one called 48-96. These are essentially half wavetable. The reason is, Prophet VS contains 96 waveforms and having a such large wavetable can be overwhelming and confusing at times. Hence why i also included the first half and the second half of this huge wavetable. The folder titled 'all' is self explanatory, it contains all waveforms. And this brings us to another interesting situation, waveform sequential order. I included original order but also created several random orders, because you might find some of these random wavetables even better sounding than original.

Lookign back at the previous image, in the top terminal we can see how i built individual wavetables. Remember when i made each waveform contain tags? Well now it was too easy to sort them. You just invoke the copy command, use your tag and place asterisks around, point it to the destination folder, and it will contain just certain types of waveforms, ie. those who sound bell like. Wavetables were then "baked" using sox and that was about it. Yeah as you can see on the lower terminal, first image, some of the wavetables didn't turned out too big ie. a sine wave has only 5 waveforms, vocal contains only 7 wavefroms, but hey, they are genuine and you can always layer a couple more. I created two random variations of the '1-47' wavetable, three random variations of the '48-96' wavetable and four random variations of the 'all' wavetable. The '48-96' and its random derivations can be seen on the image below.

Next task: Roland JD-800 and JD-990 ROM waveforms synthesis and building a wavetable out of it. What i did was to synthesize them from scratch, so technically they are not a copy from the ROM itself. Hence there is not much a Roland can do, as these are completely different byte by byte. However, since they are sonically near identical i decided to ask Eric Persing first.
Old 3 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Don as always fabulous work and thank you for explanations.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
Serum factory wavetables work fine (2048 period), so I'd expect third party ones to work too.

Can also load in factory wavetables from Icarus (2048 period) and Codex (512 period) if you have those synth plugins.

Here are some wavetables you might find interesting:

http://www.ppg.synth.net/download.shtml - (128 period)

There are also lists of free ones like this: https://www.antidoteaudio.com/free-serum-wavetables
Thanks mate this is incredible!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
The number 1 sequencer feature i would like to have in a fully fledged synths/sampler is what the Ryktnk sequencer does. Better known as Metropolis. My head explodes considering the possibilities in conjunction with the new mod lanes.

It should be a breeze to edit on my newly flashed touchscreen.
Not sure why, but I found this quite pleasing! We need this in the Quantum now!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:

I can add to this - I just bought a 40 wavetable "serum" set from ghosthack for peanuts ("analog wavetables for serum" - £3.70 with code GIFT35): https://www.ghosthack.de/store/Serum-c30299022

they work fine in the quantum. the 40 wavetables aren't going to set the world on fire, these mostly seem like morphs between 2 waves to me and a few contain just 2 waves - 3 even have a single wave so not much of a table! But it's all fuel for the fire for me.
Old 3 weeks ago

Quick browsing thru a couple of newly made Prophet VS wavetables on a Waldorf Quantum:
Attached Files

mp.mp3 (6.77 MB, 1266 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

great as always Don! is it some kind of phasing going on?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to load a bank of wavetables into the quantum.. I can't see anything in the manual about this. I've got a lot saved to the SD card.

Edit - i have found the setting 'Presets' which allows me to import wavetables, but i can only see the heading directory and when i press import nothing happens.

So for clarity, what I have is a bank of 100+ wavetables I want to load, each is about 2.1mb. I want to load them from my SD into the Quantum's flash drive to access quickly.

The files are wav. 44100 and 32 bit. Should this work ok?

Any ideas?

Regards

Tom
Old 3 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAF Vu Master View Post
Thanks for sharing loved that vinyl piano - some lovely sound right there - are you making a soundset?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAF Vu Master View Post
brilliant tutorial and review series there
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Should wavetable files be 16Bit or 32 Bit?
Old 3 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to load a bank of wavetables into the quantum.. I can't see anything in the manual about this. I've got a lot saved to the SD card.

Edit - i have found the setting 'Presets' which allows me to import wavetables, but i can only see the heading directory and when i press import nothing happens.

So for clarity, what I have is a bank of 100+ wavetables I want to load, each is about 2.1mb. I want to load them from my SD into the Quantum's flash drive to access quickly.

Any ideas?

Regards

Tom
All this import wavetable discussion and the availability of wavetables has got me interested so a heads up would be useful - I can’t find anything in the manual
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Any ideas?

Regards

Tom
What firmware version are you on? I'm currently using the latest beta so it may be a little different. But there should be a load from .wav in the options of the OSC you're using (currently not in front of my Quantum), but once you press that you can load from internal or from SD card. It won't be a bank, but one at a time, but depending on what firmware version you're using you can quickly scroll to the next file in that same folder.

I don't know if I played with wavetable bit depth/sample rate, but I know for particle the file should be 44.1 sample rate and I think it can be any bit depth.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
OS2 beta
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
All this import wavetable discussion and the availability of wavetables has got me interested so a heads up would be useful - I can’t find anything in the manual
One of the things I am not much interested in the Prophet-X is the complexity to load your own material. The Quantum seems a little easier, but not fool proof so it seems. I like my input jack, tbh. Then work from there instead always using the computer, that is really banned from my studio. Maybe I am too old school for all these things, but at least the Digitakt got it right for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
One of the things I am not much interested in the Prophet-X is the complexity to load your own material. The Quantum seems a little easier, but not fool proof so it seems. I like my input jack, tbh. Then work from there instead always using the computer, that is really banned from my studio. Maybe I am too old school for all these things, but at least the Digitakt got it right for me.
Well you can just sample the inputs on Quantum too and go from there. There is no need to load anything.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
If it is of any comfort i didn't figured out the travel thing UNTIL i've noticed a knob on the front panel saying TRAVEL.

OTOH wavetable import offers four different things:
  • you can load a preset wavetable
  • you can load a wav audio and have it analyzed by Quantum, and have it generate a wavetable out of it (similar to what AudioTerm does)
  • you can load single cycle waveform from which the Quantum will generate a wavetable with a sine as a destination
  • you can load a wav file that is a wavetable, such as the one in attachment

Once you insert the SD card you can go to Tools / Import from Wav, but there is a catch. On the top left corner you will see Samples. You have to click that and only then it will turn to SD Card. Yeah, maybe not the best solution to access the card but eventually you get used to it. Once there you can access directories on the card and import a wav file that contains a wavetable.

Here i can give you one wavetable for testing. Warning: it should sounds harsh and loud. Was a result of testing something that should never be tested.... Anyway once you import it you have to set frame size to 128 and the Quantum should tell you this wavetable has 20 frames.
Attached Files

mess.wav (5.0 KB, 850 views)

Last edited by Don Solaris; 3 weeks ago at 06:21 PM.. Reason: ok i figured out the TRAVEL
Old 3 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Don thanks guess I’m going to have to get a beta 2.0 pass from Waldorf.
Old 3 weeks ago
Wavetable Demo - 100% RAW sound!
For those who don't a have Quantum and are tired of same all & same all washed in reverb demos. Here is a RAW sound of a wavetable, that was recently built from a Prophet VS ROM. No effects whatsoever:

https://youtu.be/t4VyQbEyunM

So this is how RAW Quantum sounds like. Hope this clears up things a bit. Uploaded this on Youtube so that others can hear as well. It is not a demo that i posted yesterday, so a premiere on Gearslutz as well.

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Wavetable Demo
Love the second half of this
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search