The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Waldorf Quantum
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

You could maybe use the sequencer to animate the grains in the particle engine.... all depends on whether the sonic results might be interesting.

Edit: never mind. It’s already there! Both for particle and sampler modulations that make sense.

Give me a year; maybe I’ll come up with something Waldorf hasn’t already thought of. Wow.

Last edited by realtrance; 3 days ago at 03:44 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Played it today.

So much sound. So much fun.

The Quantum is a desert island synth.

Instant forever instrument.

Without a doubt future classic.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

feature requests unlimited?

ill just leave this here.

itsajkjoice
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Quantum-1566263753368.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
One other thing that would make the sequencer more useful/fun is a live record mode.

It'd be cool to do live parameter recording too - perhaps having it auto create (or modify) a mod matrix entry for the knob being tweaked, and/or have an encoder that acts for a selected param number.
Great idea! +1 for the Sequencer essentials!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I am a master of buyers remorse and can tell you this synth has been a total love fest from the first time turned on.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Hello everyone - I've been lurking here enjoying the discussions for some months now. What a great forum - hats off to you all for keeping everything so civil and thoughtful and engaging. What a refreshing lack of snark and aggression.

Anyway, now that I'm a happy Quantum owner myself (as of a couple of months ago) I thought it was about time I raised my head above the parapet - starting with a low-brow cosmetic question.

I was rather startled to notice when sunlight accidentally flooded my studio yesterday that there are what appear to be very faint scratches around many of the knobs that can't be seen in dim conditions. I found myself frantically trying to work out how and when something metal or abrasive found its way onto the synth, but then realised the marks were exactly lined up with where my (well-tended) fingernails might have made faint contact with the surface when turning a knob. And so I tried a little experiment - rubbing the end of my fingernail very lightly on one of the darker rectangles, and with almost no pressure at all, a mark was left just like the others - a mark moreover that doesn't budge when I run a microfibre cloth on it. It's as if the dark paintwork on the Quantum panel is incredibly delicate, and it's very alarming.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this - and if so, whether they can confirm that these are permanent scratches that cannot be rubbed off in some way? I would suggest that you might all want to check by shining a light at an oblique angle across your Quantum, and perhaps running your fingernail lightly on the darker surfaces, because I think it's unlikely that you'll see these fingernail marks otherwise.

Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
@ KriticalMass

I don't have this kind of problem : I bite my nails !
Old 1 day ago
Ensoniq Wavetables - first demo

Menacing Bell.mp3

Testing first Ensoniq ESQ-1 wavetable!! It sounds exactly as i imagined it would!!! Cold menacing ESQ-1 character pushing though (and some 8 bit noise in the background).

I wish i had time to record more, the sounds this one wavetable can provide are unlimited i spent at least an hour listening to it and adding various things. Wish i pressed Rec earlier.

As you can see below there are 12 wavetables so far that have been built. However, some of them will have several iterations with different order of the waveforms as was shown earlier. So in total we can expect 20 wavetables for the Ensoniq series. Yeah, Alien waveforms are form SQ-80 i know, but currently they are all named ESQ-1_(name).wav. So pardon me for that!!!!! I hope to fix things a bit and sort SQ and ESQ where they belong to.

02:07 AM = time for some sleep. See you later.
Attached Files

ESQ-1_Bell.mp3 (2.71 MB, 1415 views)

Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

holly christ! i felt like being abducted by 'Quantum' spaceship while listening to it
Old 1 day ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Don brilliant work, that example had me hiding behind the sofa
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalMass View Post
Hello everyone - I've been lurking here enjoying the discussions for some months now. What a great forum - hats off to you all for keeping everything so civil and thoughtful and engaging. What a refreshing lack of snark and aggression.

Anyway, now that I'm a happy Quantum owner myself (as of a couple of months ago) I thought it was about time I raised my head above the parapet - starting with a low-brow cosmetic question.

I was rather startled to notice when sunlight accidentally flooded my studio yesterday that there are what appear to be very faint scratches around many of the knobs that can't be seen in dim conditions. I found myself frantically trying to work out how and when something metal or abrasive found its way onto the synth, but then realised the marks were exactly lined up with where my (well-tended) fingernails might have made faint contact with the surface when turning a knob. And so I tried a little experiment - rubbing the end of my fingernail very lightly on one of the darker rectangles, and with almost no pressure at all, a mark was left just like the others - a mark moreover that doesn't budge when I run a microfibre cloth on it. It's as if the dark paintwork on the Quantum panel is incredibly delicate, and it's very alarming.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this - and if so, whether they can confirm that these are permanent scratches that cannot be rubbed off in some way? I would suggest that you might all want to check by shining a light at an oblique angle across your Quantum, and perhaps running your fingernail lightly on the darker surfaces, because I think it's unlikely that you'll see these fingernail marks otherwise.

Thanks!
That’s too bad to hear. Waldorf is known for **** paint. Look at the Microwaves, Blofelds, and many other synths that came before. It’s rare to see a Wave not missing some paint when they go online. Was kind of hoping they’d have something better on the Quantum, though. That stinks. I’ll be interested to hear if others notice the same or if you got an unlucky paint job, but my Blofeld keys and Desktop both saw paint wear around knobs and my Microwave XT is no stranger to that either. Kind of a Waldorf tradition at this point.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by satatek View Post
holly christ! i felt like being abducted by 'Quantum' spaceship while listening to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Don brilliant work, that example had me hiding behind the sofa
Hahaha! You folks are being too nice. I should have recorded it earlier when two oscillators were used, panned hard into corners, that's when the wavetable started jumping out of the speakers.

I can't wait for Rolf to put in PPG wavetables that way we will be able to hear and compare it against the PPG and see how they actually differ. It would be cool to emulate artifacts that happen when PPG wavetable gets scanned, they add so much charm. The Quantum at the moment is IMO a bit too polite when scanning. It begs for a PPG wavetable mode.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
.... too bad....known for **** ... hoping they’d have something better ... That stinks...
Someone writing things like that never saw a Quantum in real life.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Can’t wait to put my hands in these ESQ1 Wavetables
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsbywoof View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
That’s too bad to hear. Waldorf is known for **** paint. Look at the Microwaves, Blofelds, and many other synths that came before. It’s rare to see a Wave not missing some paint when they go online. Was kind of hoping they’d have something better on the Quantum, though. That stinks. I’ll be interested to hear if others notice the same or if you got an unlucky paint job, but my Blofeld keys and Desktop both saw paint wear around knobs and my Microwave XT is no stranger to that either. Kind of a Waldorf tradition at this point.
Well, so far I seem to be the only one having issues with the paintwork, so maybe I did indeed get unlucky. Looks like I might have to get in touch with Waldorf and see what they have to say. Something definitely seems up - I've owned a truck load of synthesisers in my time, and never experienced anything as cosmetically fragile as this before.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Well, so far I seem to be the only one having issues with the paintwork, so maybe I did indeed get unlucky. Looks like I might have to get in touch with Waldorf and see what they have to say. Something definitely seems up - I've owned a truck load of synthesisers in my time, and never experienced anything as cosmetically fragile as this before.
Excuse me, but how long fingernails do you have? I can not even remotely reach the surface area with finger nails.

To move the knob, you are supposed to touch its top area and turn it. What exactly are you doing with your knobs?
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Excuse me, but how long fingernails do you have? I can not even remotely reach the surface area with finger nails.

To move the knob, you are supposed to touch its top area and turn it. What exactly are you doing with your knobs?
In case you're imagining Howard Hughes, please allow me to reassure you Don that my finger nails are a very normal short length.

I find that my natural knob-holding position is much as you illustrate, and I rarely make contact with the keyboard. I grab the top of the knob between my thumb and index finger. But just occasionally my trailing middle finger does gently skim the surface - and that's my point really, even doing this occasionally seems to leave a mark.

But I"m starting to realise now that I may be on my own with this one. It's really weird. Despite having owned at various times a Korg DSS-1, Ensoniq EPS16+, V-Synth, Kronos and all sorts of other knob-strewn gear, I've never experienced this before.

I don't want to belabour this though - as a new member of the forum, I don't want to come across as a moaner. In every other way, this a fantastic synth, for me pretty much the holy grail. I feel an emotional bond with it - which I suppose is why I looked closely enough at it to see the marks in the first place.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
I find that my natural knob-holding position is much as you illustrate, and I rarely make contact with the keyboard. I grab the top of the knob between my thumb and index finger. But just occasionally my trailing middle finger does gently skim the surface - and that's my point really, even doing this occasionally seems to leave a mark.
Well that pretty much narrows it down. I suspect your unit might have been used as a demo in the store, where all kind of people do all kinds of things, including people who don't even play keyboards, they will grab a knob like they're opening a door handle. It would be very hard to do so much damage to the surface just by trailing on top. It's full industrial paint finish.

Can you take a photo at an angle. I am curious to see. Could be the nail material, rather than the scratched paint. And that would be trivial to remove with Ajax window cleaner and microfiber.
Old 1 day ago
Old 1 day ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Having watched the video looks like we are are going to need those PPG wavetables.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Having watched the video looks like we are are going to need those PPG wavetables.
He didnt use one of the legacy modes for the wavetable oscillators ...

Its on the wavetable osc timbre page.. click menu on the left bottom.

Quote:
Mode

Selects the synthesis quality.

Normal keeps the current algorithm which synthesises in highest quality avoiding digital artefacts like aliasing and such.

However, as we learned to love the digital artefacts of legacy wavetable synthesis implementation, other modes are available:

Harsh produces additional non-harmonic components in the lower pitch ranges which result in more rich to aggressive timbres.

Dirty adds digital aliasing in higher pitch ranges you will remember from time where processing power was restricted and cheaper implementations were used.
Also often overlooked the "Stepped" parameter for less smooth interpolation when modulating a wavetable.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamuzik View Post
These were given to him by Retro Sound and we don't have information about transfer process from the ROM. If it was done via sampling, then we can pretty much forget about this "test". You can check my previous posts in here about Ensoniq and Prophet VS on how ppl used various processes to get these waveforms and failed completely. Waveforms need to come directly from the ROM chip itself.
Old 20 hours ago
Here for the gear
@ Don Solaris

Some people seem to have succeeded to extract wavetables from some synths, but they apparently prefer to keep that secret. I didn't try to load it yet. Some guys affirm that it functions...
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Don Solaris

Some people seem to have succeeded to extract wavetables from some synths, but they apparently prefer to keep that secret. I didn't try to load it yet. Some guys affirm that it functions...
I heard that’s why all those people were really protesting outside Area 51. It’s alien technology. #freethewavetables

If someone told me the Quantum was one of the greatest synths of all time I would not disagree.
Old 11 hours ago
Quote:
Some people seem to have succeeded to extract wavetables from some synths, but they apparently prefer to keep that secret.
I think there is no reason to be afraid. Wolfgang Palm is 100% cool guy. I don't think he would sue someone over 4 decades old PPG wavetables. I understand it sounds cooler: "Hey i got these out of the PPG but don't tell anyone, it's a Top-Secret". But IMO nothing to be concerned about.

What someone should be more concerned is how that ROM was actually extracted. Because here is someone who also "extracted" the ROM from the Prophet VS. Now... since i happened to be involved in a design of a custom waveform set for that same synthesizer, i know what to look for. And that just ain't there. That ain't 1:1 Prophet VS ROM. My point: Never trust anyone's word, unless you know the exact process involved and have means to verify it. Hence why i had doubts about the posted video. The maker of the video also didn't specify which Mode he used for Wavetable playback: Normal, Harsh or Dirty. They sound quite different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
The beauty of the granular approach is that we get to modulate all the grain parameters like position, attack, decay and length. Modulating position and length in particular seem to be where some real magic happens - especially with full warp/slew s&h lfos.
Will definitely try it. But to be fully honest, i didn't even touched the granular engine or kernels or anything else but basic Oscillators and Wavetables.

I even have no idea how does a Travel Mode work. I remember the other day i routed LFO to a wavetable position and it sounded the same, despite if it was set to a Cycle or a Ping Pong. I probably didn't enable something.
Old 10 hours ago
Gear Head
Travel is like a dedicated LFO modulating the position by 100%, with control over the speed. cycle/ping pong are really just shape of that LFO (think ping pong=triangle, cycle=ramp up etc). If you have travel to off then they won't make any difference when you use an external position modulator.

I tend to use travel when auditioning, but I like to have full control over the amount and we have tons of modulation sources to do that instead.

Coming back to what you're doing with those old wavetable roms, I'm really interested in hearing the results of your hard work.

Do you know what tools they used back-in-the-day to make them? Was it waveterm? It just feels like we should have moved on to having amazing wavetable tools in 2019, but those old wavetables still have some real magic to them.

From what I've seen, Audio-term still seems to be about the best despite a whole raft of wavetable synths out there. I tend to use icarus, but that's just because it's easy and I'm mostly pulling waves out of other things - like sampled hardware synths.
Old 7 hours ago
Lives for gear

Travel also has a one shot mode which is quite cool for non-repetitive wavetable scan. Result remembers an ADS envelope.

If you set "stepped" to a higher amount, then Travel delivers wavesequencing-like or S&H-like tones.

I often use Travel to add slight changes to a waveform.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search