The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Waldorf Quantum
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Cote d'Azur it is! Looks positively lovely, and a good deal like my home away from home on Maui.
Congrats! You've won :-)

I PM you the Promocode. May take till after week-end.

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Bips and pips boom, listening in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Third time is a charm!

https://soundcloud.com/electronicbabynoise/fools-errand

I'll kill the other two, here and on SoundCloud. Pardon the mess.
Thanks on it later.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sphongle uses the v-synth a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipsMcgee View Post
Have to do some yard work but I browsed through some of the sounds... Really has such an immense psychedelic Shpongle vibe :

which really, is exactly what I am looking for in a self-contained unit such as this. Thank you very much for your demo, I'll listen to the full thing in a few hours.

Ah **** me, again life is short, I am sure I could get at least $3,000 of my dollars back if I ever decide to sell it but, most places have a 45 days return policy anyway, and if I keep it beyond that, it's a lifelong synthesizer!

Last question before I decide : have anyone here use the Quantum solely for making music? no film score or ambience, straight up genre focused music? if so, how was your experience?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfw View Post
Congrats! You've won :-)

I PM you the Promocode. May take till after week-end.
Thank you, Rolf. I look forward to finally checking out some of your work first-hand! Who knows? It may finally convince me that I can’t stall any longer on getting a Quantum! You’ve certainly earned yourself a sizable customer base for the instrument with your ongoing improvements and open communication on the forum.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Later this month it will be a whole year since I got my beloved Quantum, hard to believe!

Back pain limited my hours with it, so yesterday I decided to take radical action.

QuikLok Z726, which I have been using since I first got the Quantum, with a MatrixBrute also on the stand. Well, I moved the MatrixBrute off, made the 2nd tier arms almost vertical as well as moving them forwards and down, and added a shelf for MPE controllers.

I did all this because I learnt that I could use vertical eurorack stuff without back pain. Now I can dive deep into the Quantum without having to cut my sessions short due to upper back pain, yay

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Last night I was thinking about how I could tilt my Quantum a bit so I can sit down more and not have to stand up. I don't need it full vertical, but would like for it to tilt towards me just a bit. I have it sitting on one of my shelves. Not sure if anyone have any suggestions to have it tilt from the rear a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Quantum-img_20190811_211837.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

There is a beta 6 with just bug fixes.
Old 1 week ago
bax
Gear Nut

Quote:
There is a beta 6 with just bug fixes.
Thanks Rolf - I *almost* reported it (the clicking on attack) last night but didn't get a chance and then saw the Beta 6 email just now; thanks for taking care of that so quickly!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

So if I have a preset made with a wavetable (imported using the analyze audio), how do I share that? I mean, sharing the preset won't also contain the wavetable will it? So I need to export them separately? And when I do, is it guaranteed that my preset will address the wavetable it is meant for in someone else's machine?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Patches do contain wavetables if you use something other than a preset - that's why the patch file sizes can vary so much.

The smallest patch size I see using just presets is 87k, with 3 maxed out user wavetables (430 frames of 2048 samples) I get a patch size of 3.7mb. I expect the max would be double that for a 2 layer patch.

You can save out the individual wavetable rather than patch by going to timbre>tools>save wavetable and saving it to the sd card then doing tools>load wavetable to load it back.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That reminds me to check all the different user wavetable scenarios to see if they all work like that.

Because the history of that is not quite so straightforward, if I am remembering it all properly:

Originally user wavetables were always separate files that you managed yourself.
Then in a previous beta (before 2.0, probably 1.3) additional user wavetable creation/import features were added.
For example, the ability to do wavetable creation from samples where the entire folder of samples can then be browsed through within the wavetable oscillator by using next and prev buttons.
In the beta where this feature was very first added, it was still turning these wavetables into separate files, but it was creating these files as the folder was being browsed through, leading to duplicates.
I reported that at the time, and then in a subsequent beta, I noticed that these files werent being created anymore, and instead the wavetable data was being saved within the main patch file. Increased saving time for the patch was my first clue about this, and then looking at patch filesize and contents confirmed it.

Anyway, I just went through that history lesson because I am not sure if all the other ways of creating user wavetables use this 'embedded' method too now, or if some still use the separate file method.
Old 1 week ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Dumb question and my poor memory, has the naming of wavetable been fix rather than user 1 etc. Have Waldorf or are they, going to associate samples/wavetables to a preset? Sorry if this isn’t an issue now just wondering.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by S h a w View Post
So if I have a preset made with a wavetable (imported using the analyze audio), how do I share that? I mean, sharing the preset won't also contain the wavetable will it? So I need to export them separately? And when I do, is it guaranteed that my preset will address the wavetable it is meant for in someone else's machine?
All wavetable data which is not using the factory wavetables will be saved within the patch file. That's why some patches are bigger than others. This is true for

- Talk
- Analyze Audio
- Import from .wav
- Load Single Cycle
- Load Wavetable

They will load all wavetable data first to memory and then save into patch file.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
All wavetable data which is not using the factory wavetables will be saved within the patch file. That's why some patches are bigger than others. This is true for

- Talk
- Analyze Audio
- Import from .wav
- Load Single Cycle
- Load Wavetable

They will load all wavetable data first to memory and then save into patch file.
@ rolfw Thanks so much for the clarification! That certainly makes sharing patches simpler. Although if I understand correctly, if I want to make 2 or more preset with the same custom wavetable, each preset will store the wavetable taking up more HD space? Correct?

Thanks again for the support and the great instrument!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by S h a w View Post
@ rolfw Thanks so much for the clarification! That certainly makes sharing patches simpler. Although if I understand correctly, if I want to make 2 or more preset with the same custom wavetable, each preset will store the wavetable taking up more HD space? Correct?

Thanks again for the support and the great instrument!
Right, the downside of storing user created wavetables into patch files is that duplicates will take its space. On the other hand, it's not too much compared to samples. For the latter we've chosen the other approach to keep them separate and to have the new (in 2.0) routines to export and import them automatically with patches.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Right, the downside of storing user created wavetables into patch files is that duplicates will take its space. On the other hand, it's not too much compared to samples. For the latter we've chosen the other approach to keep them separate and to have the new (in 2.0) routines to export and import them automatically with patches.
Awesome, and Thanks again!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've jsut been playing with the live granular mode, since that was improved in recent beta. Ha ha, its a lot of fun, and now I have melted my brain.

Crazy idea time: Would it be possible to have an input source option as a selectable source for kernels in the kernel oscillator mode, with the signal coming from the live audio input then being used as that particular kernel?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
I've jsut been playing with the live granular mode, since that was improved in recent beta. Ha ha, its a lot of fun, and now I have melted my brain.

Crazy idea time: Would it be possible to have an input source option as a selectable source for kernels in the kernel oscillator mode, with the signal coming from the live audio input then being used as that particular kernel?
How about using the kernels osc output as input for live granular?!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
How about using the kernels osc output as input for live granular?!
I can probably already do that sort of thing if I use 2 layers on the Quantum, route one of the layers to the aux outputs, and then physically wire the aux outputs to the inputs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
This Synth is F*£¥ing Nuts!!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Many thanks Rolf for all these developments and your reactivity. The Quantum is a great , great instrument !

I'm a little in the wish list, I miss a function: the transposition of arpeggio in latch mode. Personally, I treat it this way: when I play several notes, the arpeggio is recalculated. When I play one note, the current arpeggio is transposed. I can't do without this mode anymore, which is really pleasant and I miss it on the Quantum I really can't use the current algorithm for adding and deleting notes in latch mode.

Congratulations again
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As an essentially "live" patch I quite like the sound of this.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I can probably already do that sort of thing if I use 2 layers on the Quantum, route one of the layers to the aux outputs, and then physically wire the aux outputs to the inputs.
I know that works as it's something I've tried in the past. here are my notes on the setup I used, cabling aux out to audio in:

layer>voices>timbre mode=layered
layer 1: send main=off + send aux=on
layer 2: osc1>particle>live granular + layers>levels&routing>input routing=off

I remember spending ages trying to do it without cables originally, thinking that it would work as general>audio recorder could take signals sent to aux out and record them without a cable.

I guess that shows that internal routing should be technically possible, so might be something to suggest as a feature request for an option for live granular using the signal at "aux out" instead of at "audio in".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
I remember spending ages trying to do it without cables originally, thinking that it would work as general>audio recorder could take signals sent to aux out and record them without a cable.

I guess that shows that internal routing should be technically possible, so might be something to suggest as a feature request for an option for live granular using the signal at "aux out" instead of at "audio in".
Yes I've been down that thought process route in the past as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

is there a limit on how many samples i can "add" to a particle osc at the same time?
Old 1 week ago
@ Rolf can we get 8096 window in wavetable import in the next beta release. There are some cool waveforms in SQ-80 ROM that are 8192 bytes. And such size opens door to many other ROMs of that era. In fact we are slowly following the historical progress of ROM development Leaving basic PPG style wavetables going into SQ-80, D-50 territory but with ability to morph real time.

Also one question, when interpolating between two frames of a wavetavble using smooth option, does Quantum use actual wave interpolation or uses volume crossfading?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah you really have the best of both worlds: full digital path if you want it, with lots of filter options in the Digital Former. Or fully analogue dual filters if you want that for filter sweeps and the like.

Plus all the rest! If you count up the number of kernels you're deploying at once with the "Superwave" function on the VA oscillators, that's 24 oscillators per voice.

Now, if you use kernels on the new Kernel synthesis, it's a mix of oscillators and modulators of your choice. Up to eight per oscillator. So, still a lot of Osc.

There's been some talk of allowing for more than eight voices if going thru the DF, but I don't feel like it's at all needed. This is more a tone synth than a synth orchestra, so keeping the number of voices to eight means more focus on interesting tonalities.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's been some talk of allowing for more than eight voices if going thru the DF, but I don't feel like it's at all needed. This is more a tone synth than a synth orchestra, so keeping the number of voices to eight means more focus on interesting tonalities.

Last edited by 24dB; 1 week ago at 10:15 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree, But it would be awesome if the 2nd layer could be fully digital without taking polyphony away from first layer.

Especially when using it as sampler or "hardware Nave" i wouldnt miss the analog filters at all.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipsMcgee View Post
It sets the standard for me. Having a few analogs is nice unless it’s the Moog One or OB, then it’s awesome, but this is just next ****in’ level.

This is how I imagined high level electronic gear back when I never knew anything about it.
That was my constant refrain when I first got it, "It's like a synth sent back from the future."
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search