The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Quantum Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

With the new 2.0 kernels, is it possible to configure an equivalent of a “Unisono 2” mode with 8 voices? In Nave and Blofeld, I’ve found this mode indispensable as it creates a kind of stereo spread with just one wave table that sounds way better than just using two wave tables with the same settings except for detuning. Using Unisono 2 in Quantum however cuts the voices available to just 4.
Old 1 week ago
bax
Gear Head

Is it still possible to get in on the 2.0 Beta, or is that a closed group at this point? I was scanning/searching through this (now 311 page long) thread to find out how to get in that game, but didn't quickly find anything...a point in the right direction would be appreciated!

Either way, even at 1.3.0, this synth is still a thing of *absolute* beauty, both outside and inside...

Thanks!
bax

Edit: Mischief managed...thanks Rolf!!!

Last edited by bax; 1 week ago at 10:03 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Is it still possible to get in on the 2.0 Beta
send @rolfw a PM
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseman View Post
With the new 2.0 kernels, is it possible to configure an equivalent of a “Unisono 2” mode with 8 voices? In Nave and Blofeld, I’ve found this mode indispensable as it creates a kind of stereo spread with just one wave table that sounds way better than just using two wave tables with the same settings except for detuning. Using Unisono 2 in Quantum however cuts the voices available to just 4.
I dont know wether it sounds as you imagine (i dont do audio examples either, sry) .. but inspired by your post i just created a stereo wavetable oscillator with 2 wavetable kernels, 1 left and 1 right. There are then macro controls to change both wavetables, detune them, FM, etc.

To keep the stereo image i bypassed the analog filters and went straight into DFs PPG filter .. sounds nice, remains 8 voices.
Old 1 week ago
bax
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
send @rolfw a PM
Thank you, much appreciated!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I dont know wether it sounds as you imagine (i dont do audio examples either, sry) .. but inspired by your post i just created a stereo wavetable oscillator with 2 wavetable kernels, 1 left and 1 right. There are then macro controls to change both wavetables, detune them, FM, etc.

To keep the stereo image i bypassed the analog filters and went straight into DFs PPG filter .. sounds nice, remains 8 voices.
I think Unisono is not a hard pan to the left and right, but the result is more of a chorusing type effect that's better than actual chorus imo when set to the right intensity setting. I'd be interested in your take on how your experiment compares to the same single wavetable in Unisono. I'm not a Quantum owner obviously, but trying to decide between it and another synth or two...big decision as it will be the last big synth purchase for a long time for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Does anyone know how to delete whole preset banks? Deleting hundreds of presets one by one is a tad too tedious.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone know how to delete whole preset banks? Deleting hundreds of presets one by one is a tad too tedious.
I dont think there is a feature available that would do that at the moment.

I suspect there might be a way to do it by using the image file that Waldorf provided with all the presets and samples on it for v 1.1.2 of firmware (September 2018), such as manipulating the image by removing the unwanted samples and presets from it before writing the image to the sd card. But this is just an untested theory of mine and would also involve your Quantum being wiped and losing all user samples and presets so I AM NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE ACTUALLY TRY THIS, its just nerdy theoretical speculation from me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Its on my list !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why do you need to delete them all? Why not just overwrite them as you make a new sound...?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Why do you need to delete them all? Why not just overwrite them as you make a new sound...?
I dont need to, i just want to. Its a loong list and i would like to have it shorter.

Also, some "sound designers" just dont cater to my taste.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont need to, i just want to. Its a loong list and i would like to have it shorter.

just take a few hours and do it then... it is only a 1 time thing
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
just take a few hours and do it then... it is only a 1 time thing
Yea, already started I wanted to make sure i didnt overlook something.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Although I often ignore the feature in various soft synths etc, with the Quantum I'm trying to remember to use the filters to narrow down the list when I want it shorter.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea, already started I wanted to make sure i didnt overlook something.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
One at a time, unfortunately. That's what I did.

Another thing that's a drag is that once you've cleaned out the presets, the "bank" and "author" tags remain, and I can't figure out how to delete / rename / move these.

While it is possible to delete / rename the folders in the samples directory, we really need the ability to mange the bank and author tags in the presets directory.

Hopefully @rolfw will add this.

Also there is no easy way to determine what dependencies exist between presets and the samples they require, so when you're trying to clear out and free up some sample memory it's back to pencil and paper, scrolling through the presets you want to keep, looking in the oscillator edit pages for each, and writing down what samples are required. Stone age! This is kind of a big deal...

I really wish that you could select a sample in the sample browser and it would display which presets referred to that sample in the right side of the screen. Or, if not that, some kind of indicator that shows whether "this sample is used by a preset currently in memory". Perhaps unused samples' names are in green, while used samples are in red? Or a red asterisk next to the name of used samples?

Alternatively, if the preset browser would show what samples are used by that preset in the right side of the screen maybe? While this would make for a very clumsy clean-up process, not much better than pencil and paper, it would be a nice addition.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
Also there is no easy way to determine what dependencies exist between presets and the samples they require, so when you're trying to clear out and free up some sample memory it's back to pencil and paper, scrolling through the presets you want to keep, looking in the oscillator edit pages for each, and writing down what samples are required. Stone age! This is kind of a big deal...

I really wish that you could select a sample in the sample browser and it would display which presets referred to that sample in the right side of the screen. Or, if not that, some kind of indicator that shows whether "this sample is used by a preset currently in memory". Perhaps unused samples' names are in green, while used samples are in red? Or a red asterisk next to the name of used samples?

Alternatively, if the preset browser would show what samples are used by that preset in the right side of the screen maybe? While this would make for a very clumsy clean-up process, not much better than pencil and paper, it would be a nice addition.
If this turns out to be too unwieldy from either a development, UI, existing architecture or implementation point of view, then perhaps it would be a candidate for something some kind of management software on a computer could handle. I suppose I say this because the idea of making the Quantums storage show up when connected to a computer via USB has been discussed in the past (if I remember properly). And having manually looked inside various Quantum patch preset files using a standard text editor on a computer, I can say that the paths to samples used by a preset are listed in plain text within those files.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
If this turns out to be too unwieldy from either a development, UI, existing architecture or implementation point of view, then perhaps it would be a candidate for something some kind of management software on a computer could handle. I suppose I say this because the idea of making the Quantums storage show up when connected to a computer via USB has been discussed in the past (if I remember properly). And having manually looked inside various Quantum patch preset files using a standard text editor on a computer, I can say that the paths to samples used by a preset are listed in plain text within those files.
It's good to hear that the sample names are encoded and easily visible inside the preset files - that should make all things easier, whether it's a change to the Quantum OS or an external management app.

I am all for the idea of having the Quantum's internal storage just mount on the computer desktop as though it were an external drive when the two are connected via USB. This would certainly make things a little more elegant than the current method of copying samples to SD card, then inserting it in the Quantum, etc. But with a little improvement to the Quantum's OS as I mentioned above, this becomes less crucial and maybe even superfluous.

If I could easily view the dependencies between presets and samples directly on the Quantum, and be able to delete / rename / move the preset's bank and author fields, then I'd be pretty happy, even if I couldn't mount the Quantum's storage on the computer desktop.

All in all it's pretty dang impressive, and I'm absolutely loving the sound of the Quantum.

Best synth purchase I've made in years.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just installed 2.0 beta!

Wow!!

The Kernels Osc type is deep... and it sounds great! Thanks to the templates I was getting some wonderful tones right away. I found more sounds I immediately liked in 20 minutes of playing with it than in the same amount of time with the other Osc types. The character of the kernels osc is just doing it for me. I love FM stuff...

There is a lot to learn to become truly competent with it, but it did not take too long for me (before even reading Rolf's instructions) to be getting around it pretty quick just by trial and error (down in the edit page I mean).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
I just installed 2.0 beta!

Wow!!

The Kernels Osc type is deep... and it sounds great! Thanks to the templates I was getting some wonderful tones right away. I found more sounds I immediately liked in 20 minutes of playing with it than in the same amount of time with the other Osc types. The character of the kernels osc is just doing it for me. I love FM stuff...

There is a lot to learn to become truly competent with it, but it did not take too long for me (before even reading Rolf's instructions) to be getting around it pretty quick just by trial and error (down in the edit page I mean).
And isnt the fact that one is able to create macro controls and conect them to hardware knobs just the sweetest icing on the cake?

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
And isnt the fact that one is able to create macro controls and conect them to hardware knobs just the sweetest icing on the cake?

The macro's are genius. They let you access the sonic depths of the kernels oscillator but separate programming tasks between staying creative and in the moment with a small set of controls and jumping into a much more open ended environment that's likely to take over your thought process.

Wouldn't like to admit how long it took before I realised the macros were mapped to the oscillator control knobs........
Old 1 week ago
also loving this 2.0 update here..... i just made a patch with all 6 kernels set to output..... each one a different wavetable.....they are all panned and detuned from each other.... and modulating each other.... some of them modulating frequency and some modulating wavetable position... all audio rate.... all going through the nave filter....

i set it all randomly and the result is surprisingly sweet and organic sounding but broken in a very cool way.....

i'm gonna save that as an oscillator preset and then have the same thing on each of the other oscillators at different octaves..... that will be fun!

got me thinking that an interesting spinoff of this synth could be an all digital version with the oscillator section being just one of these kernel oscillators, with access to all the wavetables.... plus the ability to use the lfo's, envelopes, etc directly on each kernel.... the digital former section could have more selections including some emulations of classic analog filters and other kinds of waveshapers.....just thinking out loud....
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSlump View Post
I am absolutely in love with the Quantum and i am planning to get it asap.

I feel it is a lush sounding, creative unit with lots of options to really dive in deep and get lost for hours.... this thing really sounds Majestic and deep!
Lush pads, crazy sound design patches, retro stuff, etc..

One thing i have not heard so far are the more aggressive sounds though.

Is the quantum able to do this as well? If so i am buying this (pre-ordered one allready, will not cancel).

The Quantum will do anything musical. It's up to the player to make it music and have the character of gentle to aggressive, simple to complex, small to big.
Wonderful sound it makes as you say. Nothing quite like it. Sound design and music making is a joy with it .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just wondering if 2.0 is gonna be a long way off (>3 months).

If so, can we still sign up for Beta???
Old 1 week ago
I am going to be replacing a key on the Quantum. Dare I live stream it? anyone interested in seeing the guts and perhaps offering emotional support, as Im not really qualified in electronics repair, and may fall under rage........ Ive built a few pc's but
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
I am going to be replacing a key on the Quantum. Dare I live stream it? anyone interested in seeing the guts and perhaps offering emotional support, as Im not really qualified in electronics repair, and may fall under rage........ Ive built a few pc's but
I would not dare watch - I'd be just too nervous.

But hey, good luck to you... let us know how it goes!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm very curious but really some photos of whatever parts of the innards you expose during the repair would be more than enough for me, cheers. But if you go further than that with video or whatever then I shall not complain.

edit - and good luck on your mission!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
Just wondering if 2.0 is gonna be a long way off (>3 months).

If so, can we still sign up for Beta???
Probably far more likely that you can still get on the beta at this stage than it is that anyone can give you a highly accurate estimate for when final 2.0 release will be ready.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
Waited with great excitement to get mine today...didn't last after I opened the Single Lined Box :(
Involuntary sphincter reaction

That should be a prosecutable crime.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd watch if time frame permits. Make sure to clip it anyways.

I plan to own this Thing for another 30 years, and services are bound to happen during this period.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search