The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Linnstrument
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
As a guitar player that's hates the piano, even though I own a really nice YAMAHA acoustic upright, the Linnstrument is the one I'm saving up for. I find myself playing the same licks in the same keys on the traditional keyboard, but on my guitar I'm way more expressive and experimental.

I want to re-learn music theory for the grid. It should be way simpler.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
As a guitar player that's hates the piano, even though I own a really nice YAMAHA acoustic upright, the Linnstrument is the one I'm saving up for. I find myself playing the same licks in the same keys on the traditional keyboard, but on my guitar I'm way more expressive and experimental.

I want to re-learn music theory for the grid. It should be way simpler.
As a guitar player who bought the Linnstrument for the same reasons, I can say that it really delivers! I was immediately doing huge slides on the Linnstrument that could never be possible on a keyboard. If you want to demo, send an e-mail to Roger and he will arrange a demo for you, he's super friendly. I got to demo the Linnstrument before buying when he put me in contact with a local owner of one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Anyone know how many "unique keys" are on the LinnStrument in the default key setting "C" in fourths? A lot of the notes are repeated. For both 128 and 200 pads.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Anyone know how many "unique keys" are on the LinnStrument in the default key setting "C" in fourths? A lot of the notes are repeated. For both 128 and 200 pads.
"In the default Fourths String Layout tuning, the large LinnStrument model's 200 note pads provide a five-octave range (due to the overlapping pitches), same as a standard MIDI keyboard. The smaller LinnStrument 128 provides a four-octave range."

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/piano-vs.-grid.html
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Like ilmai said. The 200 has 60 distinct notes in 4ths tuning, and the 128 has 51.

(You can figure it out for this or other tunings as (w + 7 * i), where w is the width of the LS (25 for 200, 16 for 128) and i is the tuning interval in semitones.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
Like ilmai said. The 200 has 60 distinct notes in 4ths tuning, and the 128 has 51.

(You can figure it out for this or other tunings as (w + 7 * i), where w is the width of the LS (25 for 200, 16 for 128) and i is the tuning interval in semitones.)
Is it possible to have the bottom half in fourths and the top half in slid back a note as if it was a guitar?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Is it possible to have the bottom half in fourths and the top half in slid back a note as if it was a guitar?
Yes, it's actually possible to tune each row however you like.
From the Global Settings page of the online manual:

"GUITAR [one of the 8 standard tuning options]
This sets the Row Offset to guitar tuning on the upper 6 rows, plus 2 extra bass strings below on the bottom, each tuned 5 semitones below the row above it.
[So F#BEADGBE for the leftmost column; vs 4ths tuning F#BEADGCF]

Hidden setting: Independent Row Tunings
Hold the GUITAR button to view the Independent Row Tuning screen. Select one of the 8 rows at left, then edit that row’s pitch by swiping left or right."

In that hidden settings mode, it shows the note (from A-2 to G8) of the leftmost column for the selected row.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search