The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
April 2017 New Gear Thread
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
There are two factors at play when it comes to the pricing of Chandler gear. First, all of the gear is hand wired and made from discrete components. People are willing to pay a premium for gear which is built like the originals. I.e. the Moog Model D re-issue as opposed to the new Behringer clone. In the modular world systems like the STS Serge Modular and Mos-Lab systems command a premium for similar reasons. There are alternatives though.

In terms of my outboard gear, I'm all over the place in terms of prices. The Chandler is by far the most expensive bit, followed by my Eventide 7600, and then Warm Audio, Dizengoff, and IGS on the lower end of the price spectrum. Actually all three of those are pretty fantastic, especially the IGS gear. I'm currently more inclined to buy more IGS gear than anything else due to the price/performance ratio.

Chandler was actually working on a Mini Mixer 2:

This video is from 2010 though, so it obviously never happened. His ultimate goal is to build a full console. The recently released Chandler Microphone Cassette is basically a single console channel, specifically from the TG12345 console, but with an opto compressors instead of a diode bridge, in a 2u rack, so maybe the console will finally be the next step.

I'm pretty sure Wade would make a console as custom order just like Daking, for anyone that really wanted (and can afford) that kind of thing. But I think he realized that there's only so many folks with that kind of money to burn. I believe it was Heritage Audio that wants to build my biz partner a custom desk...he sent me a pic a month ago or so about what they were proposing, but that's some serious G's, and kind of a waste since he already basically owns the front end of a nice console between all his Chandler and API stuff.
Old 15th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Not really sure why you are getting worked up?

My point was not "API is bad, Chandler is good." My point was, it's a strange comparison because it's totally different flavors, totally different market. Vanilla or strawberry. Moog or Roland. Cold or hot. Etc. There is no right answer, but people that are attracted to Chandler are likely thinking less about cost comparison..it's obviously not the cheapest or most practical by any stretch. They buy it because that's what they want. Likewise, I wouldn't buy API if I really wanted Neve or vice versa, simply because the cost is different.
No worries, its all good.

I guess I don't see it as being all that different when in the end I like Vanilla and strawberry . If you used an API 2500 or a TG1 on a piano it would just be great in a different way.
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't think that it's just Chandler that's ignored, but outboard recording gear in general. It's much sexier to buy a new synthesizer than it is to buy a nice converter or EQ
To be fair though, not all of us that went down the outboard path were happy with the results. I'm not going to lie and say I had luxury gear, but I had UA, Empirical, Trident, and Avalon gear at one point and I was just never happy with the sound of it. In trying to figure out why, I'd look up gear lists of my favorite albums and a lot of them were recorded on Mackie, Tascam, Fostex, Alesis, and Roland recorders and mixers. I think electronic music needs some dirt from cheap recording gear, otherwise you end up like Deadmau5 where even after switching to expensive hardware, everything he records sounds like it came from softsynths. But that's just my lowly opinion.
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Very late to the party but I'm enjoying making music without even having a laptop or computer in the picture.. Yes, I realize I have nothing connected to them here, this was just for a photo. GAS-ing for the A4 or AK now.

I keep them in my bedroom and just fool around casually - it feels nice to have it not even in the same room as my 'studio'.
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
To be fair though, not all of us that went down the outboard path were happy with the results. I'm not going to lie and say I had luxury gear, but I had UA, Empirical, Trident, and Avalon gear at one point and I was just never happy with the sound of it. In trying to figure out why, I'd look up gear lists of my favorite albums and a lot of them were recorded on Mackie, Tascam, Fostex, Alesis, and Roland recorders and mixers. I think electronic music needs some dirt from cheap recording gear, otherwise you end up like Deadmau5 where even after switching to expensive hardware, everything he records sounds like it came from softsynths. But that's just my lowly opinion.
You are definitely preaching to the choir into terms of that guy who wears the helmet with the mouse ears. Even outboard gear aside, I see tons of analog sound sources within his studio, but I've yet to hear any recording from him which sounds like he uses any of it. Then again, he's made a fortune doing what he does, so it's not really my place to judge. Definitely not to my tastes though, but horses for courses.

In terms of using analog outboard gear for electronic music, I think that it's really important to pick the right pieces, especially if what you are looking to add is dirt/color. A lot of recording gear, especially at the higher end of the spectrum, prides itself in a "transparent sound" and, in the case of compressors, "compression without compression artifacts". One thing that I keep in mind when looking at these things is that most of it is geared towards people who want pristine, crystal clear, recordings of vocalists, acoustic guitars, pianos, etc., and not electronic musicians like ourselves.

That said, there are a lot of pieces of gear out there, at all price ranges, specifically designed to add color. On the higher end of the price scale is Chandler and Thermionic Culture. Chandler is the place to be if you want the color/dirt from EMI consoles such as the REDD and TG series. Thermionic kind of does its own thing with tubes, specifically the Culture Vulture distortion box and the Fat Bustard summing mixer.

In terms of the Chandler Mini Mixer vs. the Fat Bustard, I think that the latter is actually very out of step in terms of how much it costs as opposed to what it does and what goes into making it, i.e. it's mostly an empty box with 4 tubes in it. The fat bustard marries the idea of a passive summing buss like the one found on Neve consoles, which pads down the incoming signal to mic level, then re-amplifies the signal with tubes before passing said signal into two Pultec-style EQ's in a parallel configuration. In practical terms, anyone can build the same kind of summing mixer themselves for well under the asking price of $5000 USD.

Specifically, first you need a passive summing mixer:

https://reverb.com/item/1665733-diyr...odTUQHFw&pla=1

Then pick a pre-amplifier to taste, i.e. one which adds a lot of color. The Chandler TG-2 is great in this regard, but since we're talking about tubes in regards to the Fat Bustard, these are available:

https://reverb.com/item/1937849-dize...rophone-preamp

Finally in terms of Pultec style EQ's:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...FQ-2wAode0UAjA

All of that together comes out at about half of the price of the Bustard.

The Chandler Mini Mixer, on the other hand, is packed to the brim with circuitry. It's a 5u rack and weighs in excess of 50lbs, not including its external PSU. Each input module has its own transformer balanced input, the same one found on the super colorful TG-1 compressor. Then all of those channels are pushed through a passive summing mixer, again like on the Neve and Fat Bustard, before being re-amplified on the master outputs. Color for miles.

In regards to specific color pieces, again Chandler gear like the TG-1, Zener Limiter, and Curve Bender are super colorful, but come at a huge premium, in part because they have to pay licensing fees to EMI, but just listen to the Curve Bender on this synth pad example at 6:55:

For lower to medium priced offerings, the Standard Audio Level-Or is a mojo monster:

Standard-Audio.com - Standard Audio, home of the Level-Or

Elysia, which generally has a reputation for super transparent gear, has a couple of characterful and well priced modules in 500 series, specifically the Karacter:

elysia*-*hardware*-*karacter 500*-*introduction

And MPressor 500, which has a THD Boost mode:

elysia*-*hardware*-*mpressor 500*-*introduction.

Overstayer Audio makes a lot of character pieces:

OVERSTAYER Recording Equipment, Inc.

Here's some Overstayer on an Analog Rytm:

https://soundcloud.com/altemark/anal...erstayer-fet-1

I'm very fond of IGS, because their prices are very good and the build quality is obscenely good as well. The compressor that I currently have in my setup is the IGS S-Type, which is a VCA compressor which can be used in both stereo and mono modes, and it can be pushed pretty hard as well:

There's the aforementioned Culture Vulture, which is a distortion box like the previously mentioned Elysia Karacter, except valve based as opposed to solid state:

Thermionic Culture : THE CULTURE VULTURE

There's actually a really great thread about all of this in the 'High End' section of this forum which has been going since 2007. Basically people have been taking the same drum loop and crushing it to death with various compressors in all price ranges. You'll start getting to the audio files near the middle/end of the thread:

dirtiest compressor alive?

Cheers!

Old 16th April 2017
Gear Nut
Picked up a Moog The Source again, a Waldorf Pulse 1, Chroma Polaris and an MPX-1...
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sboy View Post
Picked up a Moog The Source again, a Waldorf Pulse 1, Chroma Polaris and an MPX-1...
That's a busy month! I think that The Source is criminally underrated, I really like its sound.
Old 16th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Geez, thats pretty rough, sorry to hear it. I received my new mixer today and the internal AMP is blown. Not sure if was bad packaging or just not tested. Its really annoying thinking you're sorted, but then you have to deal with returns and finding another solution :(
So sorry to hear about the gear not working :( That can be quite disappointing and I know that feeling. Hope you can get it resolved soon.
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
That's a busy month! I think that The Source is criminally underrated, I really like its sound.
Agreed - I sold my second one (!) a few months ago, and instantly regretted it...this one is not nearly as mint as the one I sold, but it does have an Encore midi kit installed... though it's an early version that appears difficult to upgrade to the latest OS....
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice catch on the Polaris, was everything working OK?
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Geez, thats pretty rough, sorry to hear it. I received my new mixer today and the internal AMP is blown. Not sure if was bad packaging or just not tested. Its really annoying thinking you're sorted, but then you have to deal with returns and finding another solution :(
It was really fortuitous that I bought the Ultralite mk4 last month as a total impulse buy (just wanted the DC coupled outputs), because I would be totally dead in the water right now. I did some minor rearrangement to use that as my sole interface, but it means 2/3rds of my gear will remain unused until I buy another interface. C'est la vie...I'm using it as an opportunity to work with a more limited toolkit (my growing modular and a few semi-modular synths, and spending more time working with the software I have), so it's kind of a good thing in that sense, but it's really a bummer since I just got everything sorted out. First world problems and all that.
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
Nice catch on the Polaris, was everything working OK?
Well, it was a "as-is" purchase - 325$, but missing all the CEM 3372'S AND 1 3374 - new membrane panels purchased and installed, power supply rebuilt, a few various IC's replaced and it's just about good as new...it's probably a wash financially, but I get the satisfaction of making sure another vintage synth lives to see another day....

Now its a tough decision, does it replace the DSS-1 or Prophet 600 in the stack?
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, it was a "as-is" purchase - 325$, but missing all the CEM 3372'S AND 1 3374 - new membrane panels purchased and installed, power supply rebuilt, a few various IC's replaced and it's just about good as new...it's probably a wash financially, but I get the satisfaction of making sure another vintage synth lives to see another day....

Now its a tough decision, does it replace the DSS-1 or Prophet 600 in the stack?
Well, if the membrane panels are all working, $325 is an excellent price.
Hell, even if they WEREN'T it wouldn't be bad, I sold mine for $1000 last month, but it had been checked out and fixed up. Nice one!

My instinct would be to replace the DSS but that's just me.
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear
Grabbed a new stand. Not sure what I will end up keeping on it yet...
Attached Thumbnails
April 2017 New Gear Thread-img_0811.jpg   April 2017 New Gear Thread-img_0802.jpg  
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Grabbed a new stand. Not sure what I will end up keeping on it yet...

What kind of stand is that on the right?
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post
What kind of stand is that on the right?
Oh it's the Pyle PLPTS38 dual device stand. That's the new one. Got it for $45 on Amazon.
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Oh it's the Pyle PLPTS38 dual device stand. That's the new one. Got it for $45 on Amazon.
Thanks, I'll be checking that out. Looks perfect for my setup.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

A couple of small things. I've been looking for a way to send triggers from my modular to my Roland TM-2 module, and finally ordered a couple of these:

and because I had to fill out the order for free shipping and want to get into DIY:

Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

I just bought one of these on sale.

Yamaha CLP-575:

Mainly for practice.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Waiting on my delivery

Old 18th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by playstation View Post
Waiting on my delivery

Thanks for that I really needed the laugh.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstation View Post
Waiting on my delivery

As soon as I saw that cargo I immediately thought that you were the guy that has this:

Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

i bought the best pizza pepperoni today

Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
i bought the best pizza pepperoni today

damn you
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Maniac

This month I bought just a few plugins, because of some sales/coupons. I didn't really need them, but I figured they could be useful...

- Sonnox Inflator (discount coupon to newsletter subscribers)
- BX_Limiter (it was on sale)
- SPL Attacker Plus (upgrade from SPL Attacker, I thought the onboard limiter was worth it)
- Waves InPhase (I thought it could be useful for parallel processing and as a phase rotator)
- Waves Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter (I needed a processor like this, so I should be covered together with the Inflator?)

Bonus:
- IK Multimedia Amplitube MetalliPack (because it's free untill April 20th, so it's better to get it than not).

On the hardware side, I bought just a few electric component to build a power supply. Maybe next weekend I'll buy some other components (there's an important electronic/radio fair, but I don't know if I'll go), but I'm unsure about getting new instruments right now, I'm waiting for product announcements (and I also need room in my small "studio"...).
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not really much of one for plugins, but I got MediaOverkill Waverazor (from Taiho Yamada of M-Audio Venom, Alesis Andromeda etc. fame)

Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
I'm not really much of one for plugins, but I got MediaOverkill Waverazor (from Taiho Yamada of M-Audio Venom, Alesis Andromeda etc. fame)

Looks interesting, I'm not sure whether I love or hate the interface. How does it sound?
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Finally got me a Yamaha SY77. Needs a tooth realigned, a new floppy drive belt and back light. This thing is a beast!

Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
Looks interesting, I'm not sure whether I love or hate the interface. How does it sound?
It sounds pretty interesting so far, can get some very unusual sounds out of the thing. But I think it'll really take off properly when they extend it with the in depth patch editor in a few months.. (they released initially at $75 with free upgrade.. then it goes to $150 once the patch editor is out.. so it seemed worth jumping on early..)

Taiho mentions in this NAMM vid you can load an oscillator up with around 700 parameters..

Old 19th April 2017
pimping SY77 to the max ..

@ Acid Hazard : congratulations!! seems this synth is recently in re-discovery phase. i bought one last fall, few of my friends collegues recently too. and its a keeper.

concidentally, i just bought Sector101 goodies for my SY77.. Waveblade and Datablade. 8mb flash ram and 16 bank patchcard.

Last edited by clusterchord; 19th April 2017 at 03:26 PM..
📝 Reply