The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Analog Four MIDI question Desktop Synthesizers
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
It's missing MIDI support which to me is certainly a missing feature. MIDI has been a basic feature in electronic music equipment for decades.

By comparing MIDI support to some obscure OT features shows you deliberately misunderstand my point.

That said, I enjoy using A4 too, it's a nice device. But I still think it was intentionally crippled and that annoys me.
The A4 has midi support... just not midi out of the sequencer.

I did not misunderstand your point... it is just that your point is subjective... and also based on speculation that may or may not be true. Lots of people have speculated that Elektron purposefully left out midi out from the sequencer so as not to compete with the Octatrack. That does not make a whole lotta sense to me.

The Octatrack is a sampler... so very different right there. It also has 8 separate midi tracks. So you can drive external gear without giving up internal tracks.

The A4 has CV out instead of midi. What you are calling crippled, looks like a diversity of functionality to me.

Elektron has stated more than once on their forum that there is no midi to send out of the A4 sequencer... that the internal sequencer is not based on midi so it is not something that they could just enable with a software upgrade (which they would do were it possible). That is also why on my Analog Keys I cannot record the joystick movement into the sequencer.

They also said adding midi out for the sequencer would require more processing than the machine has and that the additional processing would have added to the initial cost. Almost all hardware has design decisions that leaves out functionality desired by some people so as to meet a certain price point. That is just part of hardware.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Elektron has stated more than once on their forum that there is no midi to send out of the A4 sequencer... that the internal sequencer is not based on midi so it is not something that they could just enable with a software upgrade (which they would do were it possible). That is also why on my Analog Keys I cannot record the joystick movement into the sequencer.

They also said adding midi out for the sequencer would require more processing than the machine has and that the additional processing would have added to the initial cost. Almost all hardware has design decisions that leaves out functionality desired by some people so as to meet a certain price point. That is just part of hardware.
Well, what you wrote is just not true. First of all, the sequencer in A4 is digital so it could very well send MIDI too. MIDI does not require magic, it's just code (and Elektron has already done that code for several other instruments). And MIDI does not require much processing, A4 certainly has enough.

And despite what you claim, Elektron has actually stated in their forum that it would be possible to implement MIDI sequencing in A4. And of course, they wouldn't even need to state it, as it's obvious that it is possible.

Price point has nothing to do with it, though A4 is certainly not a budget device.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, what you wrote is just not true. First of all, the sequencer in A4 is digital so it could very well send MIDI too. MIDI does not require magic, it's just code (and Elektron has already done that code for several other instruments). And MIDI does not require much processing, A4 certainly has enough.

And despite what you claim, Elektron has actually stated in their forum that it would be possible to implement MIDI sequencing in A4. And of course, they wouldn't even need to state it, as it's obvious that it is possible.

Price point has nothing to do with it, though A4 is certainly not a budget device.
Well, I read a different post from Elektron... anyway, I'm happy with my AK as is and you are welcome to keep being annoyed
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
there could be a way around it by getting a cv-gate to midi interface, ie: a doepfer A192 CV to Midi module. You could just buy a doepfer minicase and put the A192 module in it.

Doepfer A192:
A-192 converts 16 control voltages into 16 arbitrary MIDI controllers on arbitrary MIDI channels. 128 different assignments (Presets) of the 16 CV inputs to MIDI controller messages are available. MIDI messages appearing the MIDI Input are merged to the MIDI controller messages generated by the A-192.

The snapshot button transmits the 16 momentary states of the 16 inputs as MIDI controller messages.
Thx. Yeah, I thought about that, but it's a bit annoying to have to buy something to add a basic simple feature that in theory, should/could have been added.

Why not build a really powerful box that is a beast, rather than something that's pretty cool, but not quite there?
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

BTW, I was one of the early adopters of the original Elektron Machinedrum. I've been using that for many years. I think Elektron is good, but I will def do a hell of a lot more research on future purchases of their equipment before I actually buy it. I won't buy anymore of their products that are IMO purposely crippled. There's plenty of great synth companies out there to choose from now.
Old 10th April 2017
Deleted User
Can the internal sequence be triggered / slaved to another sequencer?

I've read that the 4 voices can be controlled individually on separate midi channels and routed to an individual out?

Are the fx included with each individual output or how does this work?

What other 4 part machines offer this separation and good FX?

Vermona has a machine but no FX, keys, sequencer ...

Does Dave Smith have a similar machine with routing and fx?
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
BTW, I was one of the early adopters of the original Elektron Machinedrum. I've been using that for many years. I think Elektron is good, but I will def do a hell of a lot more research on future purchases of their equipment before I actually buy it. I won't buy anymore of their products that are IMO purposely crippled. There's plenty of great synth companies out there to choose from now.
I'm really struggling with the way you speak about it as they said outright from the start it didn't and wouldn't sequence midi. It takes no research as you call it to find the information. It uses cv instead which is just fine and in fact it's a fantastic addition over midi sequencing due to the way it uses cv across both popular formats, how many other synths with sequencers do that never mind super powerful standalone sequencers? NONE??

To my knowledge nobody from elektron went around breaking elbows to acquire sales, if you wanted midi sequencing you went the wrong way and could have returned it even if you didn't know when you bought it, you weren't cheated, it's not crippled, it's a function that you desire that they chose not to include.

Dead horse.
Old 10th April 2017
Deleted User
They have a 6 or 7 part sequencer in there as far as I can see and chose CV rather than non-standard number?

The octotrack has 16 parts = 8 internal and 8 external.

This seems like a non-issue as long as the bugger can be triggered start/stop.

And if you have a couple of monologues .., bingo!

Last edited by Deleted User; 11th April 2017 at 09:19 PM..
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
I'm really struggling with the way you speak about it as they said outright from the start it didn't and wouldn't sequence midi. It takes no research as you call it to find the information. It uses cv instead which is just fine and in fact it's a fantastic addition over midi sequencing due to the way it uses cv across both popular formats, how many other synths with sequencers do that never mind super powerful standalone sequencers? NONE??

To my knowledge nobody from elektron went around breaking elbows to acquire sales, if you wanted midi sequencing you went the wrong way and could have returned it even if you didn't know when you bought it, you weren't cheated, it's not crippled, it's a function that you desire that they chose not to include.

Dead horse.
You're welcome to your opinion. My opinion is that it's a crippled machine. Don't waste your breath trying to convince me otherwise.
Old 11th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Don't waste your breath, this crippled genius is stubborn.
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckadecimal View Post
Don't waste your breath, this crippled genius is stubborn.
Wow! That's brilliant the way you incorporated "crippled" into your attempt to slight me. It just ties it in so perfectly with my previous comment. Great job!
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Addict

Not much talk of CV going on here...you CAN sequence an external synth from it and you can even control it's parameters with the a4 sequencer like I do with my sub37

Get a CV to midi converter if your external synth doesn't have CV
Old 12th April 2017
Here for the gear

I love the analog keys, and it's great for sequencing my SH 101, but I do wish it could sequence MIDI devices as well. Having that nice keyboard and great sequencer unable to interact with most of my gear is pretty frustrating.

Not enough to make me return it, mind, as I have the Zaquencer for that, but it's really a different kind of sequencer and doesn't feel as "playable" as the keys. Buying a 1300$ instrument that can't do something so basic is a little ridiculous- not everyone can afford multiple Elektron boxes.

rant over
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Got an Analog Four.

Question, im trying to step sequence the A4 step sequencer from an external midi keyboard via midi in. I read that I cant step sequence the A4 step sequencer via midi keyboard but can only step sequence from the A4 mini keyboard. True?
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
Can the internal sequence be triggered / slaved to another sequencer?

I've read that the 4 voices can be controlled individually on separate midi channels and routed to an individual out?

Are the fx included with each individual output or how does this work?
Yes, mono or stereo outputs btw. The fx, route through the main outs.
Some people route voices out the individual outs, add external effects and route them back into the external in to add the onboard fx...
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
Got an Analog Four.

Question, im trying to step sequence the A4 step sequencer from an external midi keyboard via midi in. I read that I cant step sequence the A4 step sequencer via midi keyboard but can only step sequence from the A4 mini keyboard. True?
You can live record from an external midi keyboard but not actually step sequence (as in, play a note, the sequencer advances, play another, etc.). Then again, I don't think you can do this with the onboard keyboard either).

Take everything I've just said with a pinch of salt as it's been a while since I owned an A4.
Old 14th August 2017
Deleted User
If you only want to record a sequence you must ensure your midi keyboard is sending on the correct midi channel assigned to the track, or that the midi keyboard is sending on the Auto channel and the given track is selected. Look in global>midi if I recall correctly.
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
You can live record from an external midi keyboard but not actually step sequence (as in, play a note, the sequencer advances, play another, etc.). Then again, I don't think you can do this with the onboard keyboard either).

Take everything I've just said with a pinch of salt as it's been a while since I owned an A4.
Sadly, other Elektron users said you can't A4 step sequence using a midi keyboard but can only record live recording. The
A 4 step sequencing must be done using the onboard keyboard. Ughhhh Novation Circuit all over again. It's ok I can live without it.

The Analog Keys obviously had the keyboard.
Old 14th August 2017
I still can't get how people spend a lot of cash on a synth without proper research.

The A4 is out for quite a while and the internet is full of information about this synth. Would have taken less than 3 minutes for the OP to find out about the A4's MIDI capabilities.

The assumption of crippling the A4 intentionally is irrelevant. Do your research before the cash drop. Simple.
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

Update, yes one can sequence the A4 step sequencer via midi keyboard. Its called All channel setting on the A4.

Now I'm really liking the Analog Four..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
Sadly, other Elektron users said you can't A4 step sequence using a midi keyboard but can only record live recording. The
A 4 step sequencing must be done using the onboard keyboard. Ughhhh Novation Circuit all over again. It's ok I can live without it.

The obviously had the keyboard.

Last edited by mpresev; 15th August 2017 at 04:58 PM..
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckadecimal View Post
It will sequence external gear using CV, Gate, triggers, and analog modulation (LFOs, envelopes).
MIDI out is only for sync.
I might consider the A4 and just curious if i can use those 4 voices with the Fugue Machine on Ipad.

Is midi out also available over the usb or just din?
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

OP here, FWIW I kept the A4. I've been very very productive with the A4, and I love the sound of it. Not saying that I still don't wish it could sequence external gear via midi, but overall I'm super happy with it.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
OP here, FWIW I kept the A4. I've been very very productive with the A4, and I love the sound of it. Not saying that I still don't wish it could sequence external gear via midi, but overall I'm super happy with it.
I always found the sound a bit lacking. It was a fun device to play with but I ended up selling it mostly because it had quite narrow sweetspot for sounds that I like. And, of course, it didn’t sequence MIDI.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I always found the sound a bit lacking. It was a fun device to play with but I ended up selling it mostly because it had quite narrow sweetspot for sounds that I like. And, of course, it didn’t sequence MIDI.
I love the sound of it. I've owned (or my brother owned and I used them on a daily basis) many many classic analogs over the years (Jupiter 4 & 8, Prophet 5, JX3P, Junos, various Moogs) and the A4 did not disappoint me in the sound department.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love the sound of it. I've owned (or my brother owned and I used them on a daily basis) many many classic analogs over the years (Jupiter 4 & 8, Prophet 5, JX3P, Junos, various Moogs) and the A4 did not disappoint me in the sound department.
Same for me... the A4 is great sounding...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I love A4, but it doesn't compare to those vintage synths. PWM sounds weak, filter1 isn't great and the vcas start to distort relatively soon (when using two oscs can end up muddy). It doesn't cover the same ground, for me.

All that said it can sound insane if you accommodate. I heart feedback oscs and the sync/am modes. Filter 2 can sound rubbery. Filter 1 still has its uses.

I just think there's gotchyas. For some people they're a big deal
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I just had an Analog Keys in for a week, loved playing with it. When I first had A4 long long ago, it didn’t even have poly-mode yet, so this was a lot of fun. Then I saw Cuckoo’s vid comparing Mk1 and Mk2, and for me, I liked Mk2 better, so I returned AK and expect A4Mk2 next week.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Buy the Octatrack if you wish to externally sequence gear. But plenty other midi sequencers out there cheaper than the OT.
Digitakt is a good option too, although no song mode.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search