The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Space Case vs T Rex Replicator vs Fulltone Tube Echo? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 25th March 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
 
rockreid's Avatar
 

Space Case vs T Rex Replicator vs Fulltone Tube Echo?

Any comparisons with these 3 new units? Seems real tape echo is back, baby. I look to pick one of these units up soon, but which one sounds the best and offers the best options for studio use? The updated Fulltone Tape Echo has improved sound quality from the previous versions reading reviews. But the new T Rex unit has interesting features as well.
Old 25th March 2017
  #2
I don't have any of these but I have most of the Moog delays ever made ...

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Space Case, largely because its more suited to synths imho - while the others are more popular with guitarists doing surf / rockabilly stuff.

For studio use, there's a balanced option which works for me since my mixer has balanced inserts.

I don't play guitar but anyways for that ... I'd be looking for a Binson Echorec clone as used by Pink Floyd - both Barrett and Gilmour. Maybe someday but AFAIK not yet.

Old 25th March 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
TornadoTed's Avatar
I haven't heard the others but a producer bought a Replicator to my place recently and it did sound fantastic, I will definitely buy one some day.
Old 25th March 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Each has their good and bad points.

T-Rex recently upgraded their model for better durability. Replacement tapes might be a problem in the future though.

The Space Case really intrigued me, until the price went up. I totally understand the reasons for that but it's now back in Space Echo price territory which kind of defeats the point of the Space Case being relatively inexpensive. It's main advantage is portability (same as the T-Rex) but can use regular cassette tapes.

I'm not so much up on the Fulltone units but the earlier models weren't not well regarded and considered overpriced for what they were.
Old 25th March 2017
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Each has their good and bad points.

T-Rex recently upgraded their model for better durability. Replacement tapes might be a problem in the future though.

The Space Case really intrigued me, until the price went up. I totally understand the reasons for that but it's now back in Space Echo price territory which kind of defeats the point of the Space Case being relatively inexpensive. It's main advantage is portability (same as the T-Rex) but can use regular cassette tapes.

I'm not so much up on the Fulltone units but the earlier models weren't not well regarded and considered overpriced for what they were.
Scott Campbell makes something very similar to the space case for 500 dollars
Old 26th March 2017
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
I don't play guitar but anyways for that ... I'd be looking for a Binson Echorec clone as used by Pink Floyd - both Barrett and Gilmour. Maybe someday but AFAIK not yet.
It's a pedal, not a real tape echo, but of Binson clones Dave Gilmour now has a Dawner Prince Boonar as part of his pedalboard.
Old 26th March 2017
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelevin View Post

It's a pedal, not a real tape echo, but of Binson clones Dave Gilmour now has a Dawner Prince Boonar as part of his pedalboard.
Thanks, didn't know about it - unfortunately its DSP based and not a good fit for me.

Turns out you could get a new one for $3.3K that uses most of the original parts. I'd be tempted if it had a USA distributor and was sure it could handle normal line level ok.

https://reverb.com/item/4628747-bins...alog-33-1083ms
Old 26th March 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 
ModularOverkill's Avatar
 

Any other modern line level tape echo units?
Old 21st July 2017
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
FunkFaker's Avatar
 

I actually pulled the trigger on the Space Case TE-1 this year. It should be shipping shortly. I found a few Roland echoes for a little less, but inevitably chose this because of Jim, the man behind the product. He really stands behind his craftsmanship and puts a lot of work into each unit.

I should have mine in the next week or so.
Old 21st July 2017
  #10
I got in on the second batch of the current Space Case run, mine is scheduled to arrive in September.

Right around the time the build for my TTSH should be completed. Looking forward to that match up.
Old 21st July 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
ModularOverkill's Avatar
 

I can't figure out how to order...o emailed about wait list and never heard back.
Old 21st July 2017
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
I can't figure out how to order...o emailed about wait list and never heard back.
the SPACE CASE TE-1

Put your email in the edit box where it says "Subscribe here to receive notification of order openings" and click subscribe.

The way it worked on the last run, was that there were two scheduled days a couple weeks apart, to place orders. They sold out in about a day or two on the last order IIRC.

It cost me exactly $1000 + $30 shipping for the balanced version this past April. .
Old 21st July 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
 
ModularOverkill's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
the SPACE CASE TE-1

Put your email in the edit box where it says "Subscribe here to receive notification of order openings" and click subscribe.

The way it worked on the last run, was that there were two scheduled days a couple weeks apart, to place orders. They sold out in about a day or two on the last order IIRC.

It cost me exactly $1000 + $30 shipping for the balanced version this past April. .
I did that many months ago and have never heard back.
Old 21st July 2017
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
I did that many months ago and have never heard back.
If history is any guide ... They do two batches a year, winter and summer. No instant gratification with this project, I have a few months to go on my order still.
Old 9th August 2017
  #15
Here for the gear
 

I can't make comparisons, but got the T-Rex a few months ago and been enjoying that with synths. Mostly just running my Little Phatty through it. It can be a chore to dial in and get lush subdued sounds like a RE, but once it's set it sounds really nice. I really dig the chorus setting plus the control of feedback and time with a expression pedal.
Old 9th August 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Would any of you consider selling your RE-201 and replacing it with one of these tape delays? Especially the Space Case.

I have a mint RE-201 but I'm concerned it will break some day

I have not had great experiences with vintage tech support of late.

It seems loco to sell the RE-201 and try to "replace" it but it is a big unit and rarely used

That being said - It really ties the room together

Last edited by drockfresh; 9th August 2017 at 08:49 PM..
Old 9th August 2017
  #17
PES
Lives for gear
 
PES's Avatar
Just ordered a Marantz PMD-221 to use as an aux delay on the mixer.
Old 10th August 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
Thanks, didn't know about it - unfortunately its DSP based and not a good fit for me.

Turns out you could get a new one for $3.3K that uses most of the original parts. I'd be tempted if it had a USA distributor and was sure it could handle normal line level ok.

https://reverb.com/item/4628747-bins...alog-33-1083ms
They bought all the rights to the Binson name so it shouldn't vaporware but who can say? This might be up your alley.

Old 10th August 2017
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
They bought all the rights to the Binson name so it shouldn't vaporware but who can say? This might be up your alley.
Wow didn't know about that thanks. There was sort of a NOS version for over $3k made recently. This t-rex one apparently does not have tubes (probably a show stopper for a lot of people) though and AFAIK there is no audio of it in action yet. No price yet neither.

The t-rex replicator seems more of a EchoPlex thing for guitarists, but somehow the Binson as used on on Pink Floyd "Echoes" and elsewhere in Live at Pompei is more my cup of tea. Its all over their early stuff and not just on guitar.

Still waiting for my Space Case TE-1, I'm on the batch that is expected to arrive in the middle of September.
Old 10th August 2017
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
Just ordered a Marantz PMD-221 to use as an aux delay on the mixer.
AFAIK that is the same deck the Space Case TE-1 starts with, before rebuilding it and adding optional features like balanced ins / outs.

I wonder where all these units are coming from, I see some "new" versions on ebay but it seems like its not made anymore?

Anyways you can see some of the TE-1 assembly process here.

https://www.instagram.com/spacecasetapeecho/
Old 10th August 2017
  #21
PES
Lives for gear
 
PES's Avatar
I don't know why there are new units out there (new old stock perhaps), but it seems to have been a popular series of recorders, so there are many 2nd hand to be found. I get the impression they are durable as well.

The nice thing about them is that they seem to be alone regarding the combination of small size, three heads and a big range pitch control (pitch knob plus a switch between normal and half speed). At least from what I've been able to find. So it's like they were made for tape delay duties.
Old 10th August 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
Wow didn't know about that thanks. There was sort of a NOS version for over $3k made recently. This t-rex one apparently does not have tubes (probably a show stopper for a lot of people) though and AFAIK there is no audio of it in action yet. No price yet neither.
He says at the tail end estimated release date by the end of the summer and with a retail price of $999 USD. I don't understand how that would even be possible but they can gladly take a grand from me for one of these.
Old 10th August 2017
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
Scott Campbell makes something very similar to the space case for 500 dollars
I got one of those a couple weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails
Space Case vs T Rex Replicator vs Fulltone Tube Echo?-img_4464.jpg  
Old 11th August 2017
  #24
A studio I collab with tested the Fulltone (solid-state version) against the Replicator; the Fulltone had an instantly-recognisable 'vintage 70's' sound (Pink Floyd-esque guitar) but also very nice on any vocal with soft, fading delays or a tight slap. The preamp alone adds some magic.
The Replicator also sounded great too with a slightly more grainy, lo-fi texture in comparison. It was also quieter than the Fulltone.

In the end they chose a modded Revox reel-to-reel for studio use tape FX; personally, as a guitarist, synth player and studio guy either the Fulltone or Replicator would be a real step up from the digital effects I've heard. There is more mechanical maintenance but the sound is worth it.
Old 12th August 2017
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I got one of those a couple weeks ago
ah sweet man - hows it sounding?
Old 12th August 2017
  #26
Lives for gear
 
ModularOverkill's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I got one of those a couple weeks ago
Same here! I love it and Scott is super fast at answering questions.

Mine is in a mixer aux loop, so I had some confusion early on, causing lots of clipping/distortion. I cranked back the send level and things cleaned up a lot.

Only 2 weeks to get it from initial order too.
Old 13th August 2017
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
ah sweet man - hows it sounding?
It's pretty cool. I'm still experimenting with it. I posted a very basic video of it on YouTube, with my Yamaha yc45d organ.

I just got in some looped cassettes which I can use for sound on sound work...but I haven't had time for that yet.

I also have Scott's OM1 "synthesizer."
Old 13th August 2017
  #28
Lives for gear
 
ModularOverkill's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
It's pretty cool. I'm still experimenting with it. I posted a very basic video of it on YouTube, with my Yamaha yc45d organ.

I just got in some looped cassettes which I can use for sound on sound work...but I haven't had time for that yet.

I also have Scott's OM1 "synthesizer."
What are looped cassettes?
Old 13th August 2017
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
What are looped cassettes?
Like a tape loop you would put in your space echo, but instead it's built in to a cassette. You can do this yourself, or if you are lazy you can buy premade ones. I bought mine from Delta Media. They come in three different varieties, I ordered 1 minute versions (shortest).
Old 13th August 2017
  #30
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
We'd love to hear from someone who compared these new units to an Re-201 or other vintage Roland
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump