The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Korg Electribe 2 (opinions ? would you recommend it ?)
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Korg Electribe 2 (opinions ? would you recommend it ?)

Hi,

I'm curious to hear from Korg Electribe 2 users, basically how do they like it ? would they recommend it ? or another alternative that's better ?

I watched some videos of the Electribe 2, and noticed that it is not very user friendly, or maybe requires a good amount of time to learn the combo buttons to operate it, Korg didn't even bother printing the shift + Pad functions below the 16 drum pads.

I like the fact that it is compact, and light, and can run on batteries. Which is pretty cool, and offers 2 effects per part, and a 2 global multi-effecs. making it great for sound design. and the freedom to select if a part if a Synth or Drum part. Also having a Stereo Output is very nice. (I'm glad they didn't make it a Mono Output only like some another manufacturer (R...d)

The price of $400. is not bad, but $300. would have been a more tempting price.

Let me know what you think of your Electribe 2 ? likes and dislikes, ...features you like, complaints, ...etc.

Oh.. and one more thing, I noticed that there is a black and blue version of the synth version, are they exactly the same ? I like the black/grey model better.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Color unimportant, all the same ES2 or E2.
I have the sampler. Like it. Note stealing not a problem for me, paraphony means odd envelope retriggers with long samples though, check the polyphony mode. Shift functions eadily added using Dymo tape, makes it look quite guerilla!
I dont use it to sample but instead use it to arrange a boatload of homemade stuff. 27Mb of sample memort, 270secs in mono, with careful use I can fill all 1000 or so user samples. Use a companion program for e2sample.all files though, you will go mad doing it one by one on the machine. The mac program I use also allows selectable looping of single cycle waves so all the AKWF samples can be fair game.

As a one box techno solution, it is good. I play mine through a Miditech 2 octave keys in a flightcase, I can't do either MPC drumming or use the pads as a piano. Inbuilt effects are perfect for dance beat stuff. Damn though, I wish it had a reverb as an insert FX although I can automate sends to the master FX and resample that, or use the short delay with max feedbaxk for that tubey metallic vibe.

I have lots of sample sets all homegrown, for example I have one set that's just 270 1 second samples from Omnisphere. No need to make all the sets drums, and I use that set for Berlin stuff. Motion sequence can be set to jump rather than glide automation, makes for an approximation of p locks.

Worth what I paid, even though I didn't think so at first. It's a grower!
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Love mine. Best purchase of 2016 without doubt.
Old 11th March 2017
Sold mine, hated the crappy sequencer
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

I hate mine. But I use it (E2S) so damn much that I ended up buying both. It's like the inverse of GAS but the same outcome. Criticisms of these are all fully valid but the only factor that matters if it ends up being useful or not. And I just am remarkably productive with them.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady View Post
I hate mine. But I use it (E2S) so damn much that I ended up buying both. It's like the inverse of GAS but the same outcome. Criticisms of these are all fully valid but the only factor that matters if it ends up being useful or not. And I just am remarkably productive with them.
Thats just it. As a scratch pad it's unbeatable.

I do everything on the E2 then later translate onto another synth if it works. Half the time the initial E2 patch even remains.

Once you dig into it it's remarkably flexible.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

I sold my first one, probably influenced by all the negative comments, then bought one back again in blue. I consider it a bargain for what it offers.
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Head
I'll second Mushy Mushy. Its an unbeatable music sketch book. Great for getting general ideas together to finish later in daw. I also love it in my rig as a drum machine. And despite what some say i found it very intuitive (was jamming right out of the box). Also there is a youtube channel (voidmaster) i believe where he does tutorials on making various genres with the electribe and following along (using my own sounds and his method as a template) i was able to learn the deeper functions. Honestly the best 400 Ive ever spent.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solexe View Post
I'll second Mushy Mushy. Its an unbeatable music sketch book. Great for getting general ideas together to finish later in daw. I also love it in my rig as a drum machine. And despite what some say i found it very intuitive (was jamming right out of the box). Also there is a youtube channel (voidmaster) i believe where he does tutorials on making various genres with the electribe and following along (using my own sounds and his method as a template) i was able to learn the deeper functions. Honestly the best 400 Ive ever spent.
Beat me to it, I've watched countless hours of Voidmaster's videos. He's quite the expert on it.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear
overall ****, imo given this day and age, this should of been alot better; its a step back from the esx line.

very portable and immediate workflow, creatively wise and can be fun; people make incredible music on it, quick and easy to use.

however there are many frustrations with the unit, caused by design limitations that have no place in this modern era of music tech.

depends on what u want if for; u may out grow it in which case, wait for the mpc live.

i brought both the black and the grey and sold both; but in the right hands they are awesome and very capable of making great tunes, it just a matter of if u gel with unit (and ur skill) and are not irritated by the limits
Old 12th March 2017
I like it. It's good to sketch ideas as others have mentioned. Portable, works on batteries, easy to carry around. It's fast to work with if you don't ask too much from it. Besides the synth/sequencer it's also a decent MIDI controller, I use the "chord" function quite a lot to control other synths. Worth the money imho and probably easy to find them second hand with little use, they're popular but some people give up quickly.

@ muziksculp : the blue and black (actually it's grey) versions of the synth are identical. Choose whatever fits your colour-scheme best.
Old 12th March 2017
Like others have said, the limits/problems are there, however you can work around them by being creative. It's both super fun, and at time frustrating. As a standalone solution, it's growing on me.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I like it. It's good to sketch ideas as others have mentioned. Portable, works on batteries, easy to carry around. It's fast to work with if you don't ask too much from it. Besides the synth/sequencer it's also a decent MIDI controller, I use the "chord" function quite a lot to control other synths. Worth the money imho and probably easy to find them second hand with little use, they're popular but some people give up quickly.

@ muziksculp : the blue and black (actually it's grey) versions of the synth are identical. Choose whatever fits your colour-scheme best.
Hi diogo_c,

Thanks for your helpful feedback.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data_Shrine View Post
Like others have said, the limits/problems are there, however you can work around them by being creative. It's both super fun, and at time frustrating. As a standalone solution, it's growing on me.
The limits/problems and frustrating at times is what I would have to evaluate further, I used to own the older version of the Electribe (The blue one with the Tube Output). Didn't really like it that much, sold it a long time ago.

I was hoping that the new Electribe 2 would be easier, and faster to use, but it seems like it still requires a good amount of time to learn it, practice using it, (or I easily forget all these button combinations, ..etc.), so I feel the user friendly part is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the electribe 2. But I'm still evaluating it, and might end up getting one.

Are there any similar beat boxes, with the kind of features the Electribe 2 offers, at a similar price point ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 12th March 2017
Sunken pads aside its like/hate with me

Rarely use it but when I crave a bit of battery powered entertainment Im always surprise how good it sounds. Sequencers clunky, the chain/song mode is...well it exists, filters are great...has audio in, exports to Live project. Still has a problem with fx tails for me, the fx are ok, not great. And no midi export to the SD, which seems an oversight if you just want to use placeholders.

I wish Id got the ES2, Id get more out of it...or I wish Id kept the hacked OS version...but I doubt Ill sell it. Been paring it up with a monologue and a volca fm this week and its been great fun on the dining room table with a few beers. It is a good sketchpad, but its also nice to get away from the rig and bigger synths and just jam a little.
Old 12th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
The limits/problems and frustrating at times is what I would have to evaluate further, I used to own the older version of the Electribe (The blue one with the Tube Output). Didn't really like it that much, sold it a long time ago.

I was hoping that the new Electribe 2 would be easier, and faster to use, but it seems like it still requires a good amount of time to learn it, practice using it, (or I easily forget all these button combinations, ..etc.), so I feel the user friendly part is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the electribe 2. But I'm still evaluating it, and might end up getting one.

Are there any similar beat boxes, with the kind of features the Electribe 2 offers, at a similar price point ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp
The circuit looks fairly interesting...I bought the casio pdxw1 on a whim and its actually pretty good fun, but theres no real way of exporting anything out of it and it doesnt have midi...pretty crap in that regards
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Head

I have an E2S, and I use it a lot.

I think the fundamental workflow of it is quite clever. I took a few weeks to get to grips with the sequencer, but it's basically pretty simple.

Pros:
-It does feel like an instrument to me. The things you're likely to want to change on the fly are all accessible with a knob or pad push. It's very fast to switch between using it as a step sequencer, as a pad-keyboard for melodic lines, and as a mute bank to switch tracks on and off. Very good for productivity.
-It makes a really good sequencer for my Blofeld too - I can sequence 8 channels of synth and 8 of drums/samples from one smallish box, which is very handy.
-It's kind of cheaply made, but feels solid and reliable at the same time, if that makes sense. A practical machine.

Cons:
-the amount of sample storage available in ROM is pathetic. Playing live, I'll have to load a new sample bank... a minute of silence...
-the polyphony is also pathetic. It often craps out at 8 tracks (which is why I dedicate 8 to the Blofeld via MIDI, they're not usable in practice anyway).
-the effects are OK, but most of them have only one editable parameter, so they're very limited.
-the file storage system has taken me a long time to get used to.
-oh, and sample editing inside the machine (start and end points, for example) is horrifically slow and annoying. I just make samples in a DAW and load them now.

Overall, I'm happy with it after about 6 months of ownership. Like others have said, it's easy to be productive with it. Still pretty tempted by the Octatrack though...
Old 12th March 2017
Quote:
Oh.. and one more thing, I noticed that there is a black and blue version of the synth version, are they exactly the same ? I like the black/grey model better.
Grey & blue = synth version.
Black & red = sampler version.
They're identical.

You can also download a new set of patterns from the official website. Some are cool, but very processed. In most cases, trying to extract the parts is useless because a lot of programming & automation went into them while by themselves they sound very underwhelming.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi,

Thanks, I appreciate all the feedback.

This is a good video review of the Electribe 2 , it might be useful for anyone else who might be interested in the Electribe 2, or wants to know more about it.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

There doesn't seem to be a way to copy or duplicate a pattern, this is an essential feature that any rhythm/drum machine should have.

I even checked there latest OS updates, but it is not mentioned in the update notes.

Any feedback on this important detail ?

I wonder why Korg did not implement this very important feature ? and how likely is it they will add it via a future update ?

------
Update: OK, I checked the user manual for this, I guess you can change/modify a pattern name, then save it, which will make it a duplicate, you can then modified it again.
------

Last edited by muziksculp; 12th March 2017 at 11:26 AM..
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a way to copy or duplicate a pattern, this is an essential feature that any rhythm/drum machine should have.

I even checked there latest OS updates, but it is not mentioned in the update notes.

Any feedback on this important detail ?

I wonder why Korg did not implement this very important feature ? and how likely is it they will add it via a future update ?

------
Update: OK, I checked the user manual for this, I guess you can change/modify a pattern name, then save it, which will make it a duplicate, you can then modified it again.
------
Or:
Part Utility -> Copy Part

or

Part Utility -> Copy Part Sound
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Or:
Part Utility -> Copy Part

or

Part Utility -> Copy Part Sound
I thought Copy Part will only copy the Part's assigned Sound Parameters, or is that not the case ?

I'm referring to Copying/Duplicating a Pattern. Not a Sound.
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought Copy Part will only copy the Part's assigned Sound Parameters, or is that not the case ?

I'm referring to Copying/Duplicating a Pattern. Not a Sound.
Copy Part Sound copies just the sound.

Copy Part copies every aspect. Sound, sequencing, motion, etc.

And if you just want the pattern use both of the above together.
Old 14th March 2017
4th day of use

Well I am liking it more but here is what I have or have not yet discovered.

Midi control of outboard synths/samplers. Like my rig will consist of two samplers and a Kaosilator Pro. No where does it explain how the E2 controls it. Sure i know to make E2 the master but on the parts where is the midi settings? What I have learned so far is that each pad is on a designated midi channel (pad 1 is midi ch 1 and so on). I am also concerned about midi clock, example on the Kaosilator will the E2 send mid clock to change the tempo on the Kaosilator?

If I select pad 3 on midi ch 3 will it then allow me to play the 16 pads on my sp808 sampler across the E2 16 pads?

Another thing I discovered is that the pads are really fun to play a lead on once you get used to hitting them however lets say I want to mute a bass drum and then unmute I have to stop in the middle of the lead and mute and unmute the bass drum. Sure the work around is to duplicate the pattern and have the seq. mute the base drum but I wish they had separate mute buttons for each pad unless someone has another trick
Old 14th March 2017
Here for the gear

Well Hi, I just found I had an account here, sorry if this is not the right place to post I just found this is the most recent post about the E2 and didn't want to make a new thread, I was on the edge of buying a new E2 a couple of months ago but always had to spend the money on something else I needed at the moment, now that I do have the money I found the price in Europe has gone up by almost a 100€, I used to be able to find it in Spain for 360e now I cannot find it lower than 450, do you guys know what can make the price go up like that in a hardware like this? Thanks.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusis View Post
Well Hi, I just found I had an account here, sorry if this is not the right place to post I just found this is the most recent post about the E2 and didn't want to make a new thread, I was on the edge of buying a new E2 a couple of months ago but always had to spend the money on something else I needed at the moment, now that I do have the money I found the price in Europe has gone up by almost a 100€, I used to be able to find it in Spain for 360e now I cannot find it lower than 450, do you guys know what can make the price go up like that in a hardware like this? Thanks.
Inflation.
Old 14th March 2017
$399 in the US, but the MSRP is listed as $550.
Old 14th March 2017
Deleted b598644
Why not the EMX1?

More sturdy, more knobs, bigger, clearer/handier layout for realtime tweaking.
I use the EMX1 as my master sequencer and i can control my modules with MIDI CC on the EMX1
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Addict

HELL NO. Had the sampler, voice stealing after 5 or 6 of the supposed 16 parts. Unusable for me. UI was pretty straightforward though. Pads sucked. Loved the chromatic mode. A shame really, could've been awesome. Would recommend the Toraiz, which is only 20x the price
Old 14th March 2017
Here for the gear

I'm looking for groovebox too, but just for kitchen jams and think about esx1 or e2, (techno, dub techno). I read several reviews and seems like impossible to use 2 effects simultaneously for 1 track in E2. For dub techno stub for example, need to use as minimum reverb and delay. Is it right about 1 fx to track and 1 main fx for all tracks or not?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search