The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Korg Electribe 2 (opinions ? would you recommend it ?)
Old 8th June 2017
  #121
Anyone figured out how to copy a note/put a chosen note in the step sequencer, without using the step edit(tracker) fonction ? My friend wanted to do this the other night and I had no idea how.
Old 8th June 2017
  #122
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data_Shrine View Post
Anyone figured out how to copy a note/put a chosen note in the step sequencer, without using the step edit(tracker) fonction ? My friend wanted to do this the other night and I had no idea how.
The answer might be in this video:
Old 10th June 2017
  #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
The answer might be in this video:
Pretty cool tips !! Thanks for the link.
Old 22nd June 2017
  #124
Gear Addict
 
umptanum's Avatar
 

I think the Electribe 2 is an amazing little machine. I never used one of the earlier Electribes, so it was a fresh experience for me getting the new one.

It definitely takes a little bit to wrap your head around its workflow. You absolutely need to do the label the shortcuts with tape/template to make it quick and easy to get around, and pay attention to shutting off unused modulations to help with voice stealing.

But once you get into the flow, it's insanely fun.

PROS:

As a live performer it really shines. This is what it was designed for.

The synth part is utterly fantastic with all kinds of interesting tweaking options. Use the "Edit" knob under the oscillator to hear all kinds of ways you can bend the supplied waves... there's crazy FM sounds under the dual sine waves, and other wild tones can be discovered with this knob.

The filters are fantastic.

The hardwired modulations are plentiful and interesting.

It sequences other synths easily and you can take advantage of all the "groove" features (arp gates and groove templates) since they are MIDI based.

The sound quality is great. The build quality is great.

The parts are just sound slots that you can fill with whatever. Totally flexible.

It just works... its easy to record and everything just lines up and sounds great. Fire and forget.


CONS

Making a pattern-chained song requires a lot of fore thought.

The reverbs suck.

There's no copy/paste of just sequenced notes.

Being limited to 4 bars.

Korg's proprietary MIDI cable converter... these are wired differently and are hard to find if you need to buy replacements.



All in all I love the Electribe 2.
Old 23rd June 2017
  #125
Updated: I still love these machines, and whole-heatedly recommend them.
Old 27th June 2017
  #126
M22
Here for the gear
IF you utilize the Electribe 2 long enough there is no need for this labeling as you should be able to memorize 16 buttons! Especially the ones you use the most. Took me all of ONE day and several hours of play. Korg should have done some type of embossed labeling or symbols for this on the unit.

Last edited by M22; 27th June 2017 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: add
Old 11th December 2017
  #127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I gave up on the swapped OS as I think pattern chain mode is better than flipping between the two


Id say the ES2 is the better option. I enjoyed loading single cycle waveforms into it. The E2 synth osc's are great but Ive got a dozen synths, 9 of them are analogue and a better choice when it comes to making a track. If you dont have a decent VA this could take its place, and the extra filters are really good. But Id say loading your own stuff into the ES2 is marginally more fun.
Hi man,

I'm about to trade my e2 synth for a e2sampler, so I'm completely new to sampling. I use, though, many other synths besides the electribe, but never have used samples.

I want the e2Sampler cuz' i want to sample vocals and mess around with funny stuff mainly, but also i'm interested in sampling sounds from my other synths.

Can you explain me with apples what do you mean by "single cycle waveforms"?

Francisco.
Old 12th December 2017
  #128
If this is your video, I'm a fan of your work! Are you using the E2 or E2 sampler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfrontiers View Post
Love the E2. Sure it has it's flaws and is a bit quirky. It's a jack of all trades and a master of none.



The menu diving is not bad when you learn the shift+pad combinations. Everything you need is one step away. I like the sequencer, in that it is essentially a MIDI looper.
Old 18th December 2018
  #129
Here for the gear
 

I was wanting to get a Akai APC 40 to do looping with. Or Looper app and a irig. Then I thought, I'm sure the Electribe 2 Sample could do something like this.
As that is how I got a lite version of Ableton.
Any suggestions if this can be done on the E2 with Ableton?
Or a similar looping/sequencing.

Last edited by TripR; 18th December 2018 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Video not showing
Old 12th January 2019
  #130
i read better part of this thread, still i can't seem to find this particular info (here or elsewhere on the net):

does E2 transmit over midi anything else than channels & note values?
does it transmit anything from the trackpad, or knob movements (like cutoff etc.) per midi channel maybe?
Old 12th January 2019
  #131
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg View Post
i read better part of this thread, still i can't seem to find this particular info (here or elsewhere on the net):

does E2 transmit over midi anything else than channels & note values?
does it transmit anything from the trackpad, or knob movements (like cutoff etc.) per midi channel maybe?
From the SOS review:

"Apart from its blatant lack of MIDI Thru, the Electribe 2 has little to be ashamed of in the five–pin department. Its sequencer sends note data and invites potential uses as a brain controlling up to 16 channels of external gear. For any Electribe die–hards still struggling with aspects of the interface, the new boy could even serve as a multitimbral MIDI module, although I realise that’s rather a perverse suggestion.

The knobs and encoders send and respond to MIDI CCs, each part tied to its numerical MIDI channel. When sharing a MIDI port with other gear or just when sync’ing up, you can globally disable note reception."

Korg Electribe |

NB make sure to set Global Parameters -> Midi Send Filter: OFF
Old 15th January 2019
  #132
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
From the SOS review:

"Apart from its blatant lack of MIDI Thru, the Electribe 2 has little to be ashamed of in the five–pin department. Its sequencer sends note data and invites potential uses as a brain controlling up to 16 channels of external gear. For any Electribe die–hards still struggling with aspects of the interface, the new boy could even serve as a multitimbral MIDI module, although I realise that’s rather a perverse suggestion.

The knobs and encoders send and respond to MIDI CCs, each part tied to its numerical MIDI channel. When sharing a MIDI port with other gear or just when sync’ing up, you can globally disable note reception."

Korg Electribe |

NB make sure to set Global Parameters -> Midi Send Filter: OFF

olafmol - thanks for the hint, i don't have E2 yet, just considering buying one. i did read "sos" review some time ago, but guess i forgot that detail...

funny thing is, i checked manuals (both of 2 short pdf guides) carefully, midi is barely mentioned, 'midi implementation' is nowhere to find. E2 has fairly good midi (as "sos" wrote), and it's really weird they just didn't care.

so it is safe to assume that electribe2 sends cc, but not sysex (so i couldn't manipulate sound engines of vintage modules on the fly, while sequencing them).

i'm still trying to find another important info - can i see the note name/value, once i write it into the pattern? if i step thru the written pattern, does screen show the notes?
Old 15th January 2019
  #133
Gear Addict
 

I wouldn’t necessarily buy an electribe 2 for sequencing duties. Imho the Yamaha RM1x fe is much better suited for this.
Old 15th January 2019
  #134
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg View Post
i'm still trying to find another important info - can i see the note name/value, once i write it into the pattern? if i step thru the written pattern, does screen show the notes?
You need to enter Step Edit mode in the menu, option 24(?), it shows the notes for editing there, max 4 per step.
Old 18th January 2019
  #135
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighesttree View Post
You need to enter Step Edit mode in the menu, option 24(?), it shows the notes for editing there, max 4 per step.
cool, thanks!
Old 18th January 2019
  #136
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
I wouldn’t necessarily buy an electribe 2 for sequencing duties. Imho the Yamaha RM1x fe is much better suited for this.

i agree.
in fact, funny thing is - i do have rm1x, i like it and learned to use it.

it has some deep features hard to find even in software sequencers. but - it's not very immediate, as for jamming. and it's too big for travels, writing on a bus, etc.

electribe2 is like 4-5 time smaller device.
it wasn't meant to be standalone sequencer, but i think it even has some advantages as one. i bumped into one locally for a good price, and started to investigate...
Old 17th May 2019
  #137
Lives for gear
i had the es2 and sold it; pretty good unit but ultimately disappointing cos i used to have the korg esx1 which was alot better overall.

i say either get the sp404 or stretch and get the mpc live
Old 2 weeks ago
  #138
Here for the gear
 

I wish Id got the ES2, Id get more out of it...or I wish Id kept the hacked OS version...but I doubt Ill sell it. Been paring it up with a monologue and a volca fm this week and its been great fun on the dining room table with a few beers. It is a good sketchpad, but its also nice to get away from the rig and bigger synths and just jam a little.[/QUOTE]

Hi mate. I'm looking to "pair" something up with my monologue and volca kick. What would you recommend. Willing to spend £600. I was thinking blackbox 1010, then i started thinking digitakt then thought about electribe, then saw your post, then got all confused with multitude of options.
Old 1 week ago
  #139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSufferah View Post
I wish Id got the ES2, Id get more out of it...or I wish Id kept the hacked OS version...but I doubt Ill sell it. Been paring it up with a monologue and a volca fm this week and its been great fun on the dining room table with a few beers. It is a good sketchpad, but its also nice to get away from the rig and bigger synths and just jam a little.
Hi mate. I'm looking to "pair" something up with my monologue and volca kick. What would you recommend. Willing to spend £600. I was thinking blackbox 1010, then i started thinking digitakt then thought about electribe, then saw your post, then got all confused with multitude of options.[/QUOTE]

I would recommend you a TR-8, a Keystep and another volca or maybe a kaossopad.

Why? Because with the TR8 you have immediate drums to jam, you can create patterns in the electribe with 16 different sounds that you can control with the 16 midi channels of the keystep. That way, you would have 16 different synth sounds to play with in the electribe, an immediate drum machine and two analog monosynths for bass and other stuff with the kick and mono.
Old 1 week ago
  #140
Gear Nut
 
SawneyBean's Avatar
I have an original EMX-1 & ESX-1, jumped at the chance at buying version 2 of these great machines when they came out. But I simply didnt gel with the new versions, they felt like a step down from the older models, so I sold them off. The E2 are great little machines don't get me wrong I would probably stayed with them if I hadnt had experience with the older ones.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump