The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
you use Moogerfooger,? as noise-source ?
no at the time is was an effects source the 104 delay unit the one every one raves about, I never liked it, was too dark and muddy..
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
no at the time is was an effects source the 104 delay unit the one every one raves about, I never liked it, was too dark and muddy..
i know that de foogers not have a noise unit... but the delay is one.. lol... and the fake bypass do the rest..
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
i know that de foogers not have a noise unit... but the delay is one.. lol... and the fake bypass do the rest..
yes as it's fully anlog that pedal is was quite noisey, it just was too noisy and dark for me, I like my delays clean and sparkling so they don't mess with the mix..
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank for you backing me up. I returned one to the store the next day because the echoes are too dark and muddy. Delay on hats? forgeddaboudit
Old 11th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Yeah, shame that the streichfett is the only thing we have this side of Kontakt libraries and modeling plugins.
I just got a Streichfett yesterday... fun and useful little module that I paid $206 for new, including shipping.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

speaking of moog clones, the COTK model 15 is €3000, vs the moog version @ 10,000US$

both currently in production.

vs

same goes for their larger systems.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
speaking of moog clones, the COTK model 15 is €3000, vs the moog version @ 10,000US$

both currently in production.
There's a pretty big difference between punching up and punching down imo.
Old 11th March 2017
Agreed! They will definitely sell like hotcakes!

It's a great price and just like the DM12, I'm sure it will sound excellent.

Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear
In general I don't trust Behringer to make anything that sounds like a classic Synth. I would need to hear it in person before I would ever trust them to make something that sounds as good or better than a true classic analog synth.

The one I have always wanted are the Torus foot pedals. Currenty Moog has a $600 box that's close and has more options without any keys or pedals (MIDI controls), but even it comes short of the real sound of a classic Torus foot pedal.

If Moog can't sell a cost effective true replacement of a classic, why would any of us trust Behringer to make one?
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oche ecaps View Post
There's a pretty big difference between punching up and punching down imo.
behringer barely has a name in the synth business... so they're punching up?
and with all this established hostility synth users have towards them, they're clearly an underdog.
is that what you're saying?
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
In general I don't trust Behringer to make anything that sounds like a classic Synth. I would need to hear it in person before I would ever trust them to make something that sounds as good or better than a true classic analog synth.

The one I have always wanted are the Torus foot pedals. Currenty Moog has a $600 box that's close and has more options without any keys or pedals (MIDI controls), but even it comes short of the real sound of a classic Torus foot pedal.

If Moog can't sell a cost effective true replacement of a classic, why would any of us trust Behringer to make one?

the Deepmind is their first synth, sounds great, have you heard it..? and it's Taurus...sorry for the spell check.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Anyone who claims $5 is an acceptable price to go into debt for to buy a synth is nuts. Unless you earn 6 figures and want to rack up points on your gold card of course..
Personally I think going into debt to buy just about anything, less a home, isn't very smart financially. I'm proud to say that other than my home, my wife and I are debt-free, which is the only reason I am able to save up for a few nice synths. That Modal that I really want sure is expensive (about $4500 US dollars), but luckily I have synths to sell in order to help acquire it. Being a slave to debt really sucked back when I was younger and stupid, having had over $30k credit card debt. Thank God I learned from the error of my ways.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post

OMG those look soooooo good!
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Over the past 28 years we have tremendously invested in 4,000 great people and cutting-edge technology,

Whether it's on the R&D side with over 400 engineers and Research Centers in the field of Augmented and Virtual Reality, extreme factory automation or overall company business transformation, our philosophy has always been to reinvest everything we earn.

We don't employ CEO's, CFO's, COO's. etc., nor do we believe in Shareholder Value, Board of Directors or other corporate nonsense.

We are a tribe of great people who believe in making a difference.

www.facebook.com/groups/MyMUSICTribe/

Our Vision is to over-serve our customers in order to enable amazing customer experiences.

We are very proud that we have even become a co-innovation partner for SAP, the world-wide technology leader for business transformation and automation. We've been told that we use more business automation technology than Boeing or 3M.
All these investments help us to become a better and more efficient company in our pursuit to offer more value for our customers.

One of the areas we have heavily invested in technology called SalesForce and in particular Marketing Cloud. It is a highly sophisticated social engagement and data analysis tool to measure customer engagement and sentiment.
It's all run by our amazing social media team which is based in North Hollywood, Los Angeles. Please feel free to drop by if you like to see it live.

Why is this technology so important?

These social engagement tools are vital for us to be able to listen to customers in order to make good business decisions.

The thread started with the question whether we should make a Model D Synthesizer and I can now share with you snapshots from the SalesForce dashboards.

Our overall social engagement went up by 2,200% with a 65% overall positive sentiment related to this topic. This is unprecedented.

Our customers answered the question. Now it's up to us to deliver.

Uli
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?-model-d-2.jpg   Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?-model-d.jpg  

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 11th March 2017 at 05:45 AM..
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post

It's a great price and just like the DM12, I'm sure it will sound excellent.

At $400 you'll still be able to afford a plate of hotcakes to celebrate!
Old 11th March 2017
I say yes build it! If they add additional features like patch memory and more modulation capabilities that would be great. I would prefer a keyboard version vs. a desktop though.
Old 11th March 2017
After pondering this interesting and emotional thread, I think I've evolved a bit on the topic and here's where I'm at...I posted this on MW but also wanted to update my post here.

As long as Uli isn't stealing circuit designs like he did with Mackie, more power to him. I have no problem letting the market decide whether this will be a huge success. Just because it has a Moog-ish look and layout doesn't mean anything - he's making it Eurorack for heaven's sake - lots of synths make similar claims. Uli will be investing a lot of money to develop this and there are no guarantees he will pull it off. We Wigglers are a picky lot and Uli's 'Moog' will be generations behind every other modular builder in sophistication. (from what I've seen, it's totally meh and I'm not interested in the slightest.) It's not Moog who should be worried...

Granted, I'm not a Moog fanboy, so I'm sure I'll be on the wounded side of the fence if he starts copying the OB8. When the time comes, I'll just have to remind myself that this is nothing but validation for the greatness of the original synth Uli is trying to emulate and there's nothing like owning the original. With this perspective, I fail to see who comes out a loser in this situation.

P.S. Cool as it is, it's not like Atlantis changed the market for SH-101's.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
One of the areas we have heavily invested in is a tool called SalesForce and in particular Marketing Cloud. It is a highly sophisticated social engagement and data analysis tool to measure customer engagement and sentiment.
I am not sure you can trust the tool if this thread is moderated.
Quite a lot of most negative comments were deleted.
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Guru

you will find negative people and responses to everything in life, you could announce a charity for soft white bunnies and there will be the few who mock or howl. Thing is goodness and positive influence will always trump the bad or negative. This synth is nothing but good vibes in the scene of electronic music instruments.. build it and they will come.
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I am not sure you can trust the tool if this thread is moderated.
Quite a lot of most negative comments were deleted.
The technology takes all posts into account the moment they are posted and it does it over a large amount of listening channels and not just this forum here. Whether posts get later deleted becomes irrelevant.

It is a very powerful and impressive tool and if you are interested here is a quick video about this topic. You might find better content about social listening and engagement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2epA87l4PzA

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 11th March 2017 at 09:49 AM..
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

So Uli, Just curious..... Have you grouped several different engineer teams together to work on different synth projects simultaneously or is it just one synth at a time ?
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
So Uli, Just curious..... Have you grouped several different engineer teams together to work on different synth projects simultaneously or is it just one synth at a time ?
We have 4 synthesizer development teams simultaneously working on 20 synths, drum machines etc..

We'll be creating both innovative new synths as well as reviving classics. We're all in and the teams are on fire.

Exciting times!

Uli

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 11th March 2017 at 09:51 AM..
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
We have 4 synthesizer developments teams working simultaneously on 20 synths.

Exciting times!

Uli
nice, when can we expect to start seein some?
Old 11th March 2017
Quote:
We have 4 synthesizer developments teams working simultaneously on 20 synths.

Exciting times!

Uli
I forgot to post my daily wish for a Waldorf XT inspired synth, but with analog filters and the Deepmind treatment... hope that doesn't hurt the possibility of it happening. Exciting times Uli, thank you!
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
We have 4 synthesizer development teams simultaneously working on 20 synths.

We'll be creating both innovative new synths as well as reviving classics. We're all in and the teams are on fire.

Exciting times!

Uli
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Head

After looking at the schematic I am still wondering how chaining this module for multiple voices will work. It apparently has no digital control of the parameters. So one will have to adjust the sound on each voice individually.

For eurorack use, or even for users buying more than one unit, additional cv in/outs would be very helpful: One could combine several units into a more powerful synth with more filters, LFOs, envelopes.

Loopable envelopes and oscillator Sync would be helpful additions at little cost.

If the shown frontplate actually has the height of a euro module, the knobs will be quite small, maybe too small for live use..
Old 11th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by interruptor View Post
After looking at the schematic I am still wondering how chaining this module for multiple voices will work. It apparently has no digital control of the parameters. So one will have to adjust the sound on each voice individually.

For eurorack use, or even for users buying more than one unit, additional cv in/outs would be very helpful: One could combine several units into a more powerful synth with more filters, LFOs, envelopes.

Loopable envelopes and oscillator Sync would be helpful additions at little cost.

If the shown frontplate actually has the height of a euro module, the knobs will be quite small, maybe too small for live use..
Yep too small. 5U would be a lot nicer but would upset folks heavily invested in Euro. I hate bumping the tuning knob on my M32's when doing ratchets. This isn't all that cluttered though. MIDI on top is sacrificing vertical space.
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Exciting times!

Uli
Thank you for your quick response. Exciting times indeed. I look forward to seeing what's on the go. A 2017 version of an OBXa please,please,please and i'm in. I also look forward to all other developments.... Your team did a solid job with The Deepmind 12 .
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Exciting times!

Uli
You're giving me pearls dude!! Can't wait to see, and hear, the evolution of all this!!
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
behringer barely has a name in the synth business... so they're punching up?
and with all this established hostility synth users have towards them, they're clearly an underdog.
is that what you're saying?
looool ok. I tried to point out earlier that Behringer has no history of success making instruments and was told that they have been successful for 30 years and that midi knob controllers were "instruments."

But anyway, they were the 8th largest music equipment manufacturer in 2016. The second largest company making synths after Yamaha, and with the introduction of the DM12 it appears that they're the largest company in the world making analog synths.

So yeah, they're a little bit of a different competitor than "club of the knobs." And I would think that companies like Moog, DSI, and Korg would have every reason to be a little nervous at the thought of Behringer flooding the market with sub $500 clones of classic analog synths!

And btw, the threat to Moog is not necessarily to their $3500 model D, but to their ~$500 Minitaur and Mother 32, or their almost $800 Sub Phatty. If you can truly buy an accurate model D clone for $400 then those synths start to look less interesting.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search