The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the Analog Rytm really analog?
Old 27th February 2017
Is the Analog Rytm really analog?

Elektron easily added "12 new machines" with update 1.3. This somewhat makes me suspicious if the machine is analog at all or virtual analog? I mean when did you ever encounter such a case that a analog hardware structure was so easily adapted and extended? In theory, complex analog routing can be done and analog circuits combined with higher flexibility, ok, but this goes very far.

Has anyone had the chance to inspect the internal circuitry?
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

It's analogue, the people at Elektron are very clever.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Elektron easily added "12 new machines" with update 1.3. This somewhat makes me suspicious if the machine is analog at all or virtual analog? I mean when did you ever encounter such a case that a analog hardware structure was so easily adapted and extended? In theory, complex analog routing can be done and analog circuits combined with higher flexibility, ok, but this goes very far.

I don't know much about the unit, but I know it's not just analogue. It has the sampler for one thing. They could potentially be adding digital machines. But no, they can't do much about the hardwired circuits. I'd like to know more about the extra machines update.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

I don't actually own this kit but I was curious about this so i downloaded the update readme. To me it looks like they've developed new software machines to make use of the analogue circuitry in new ways. That's my guess.

But no, by definition, you can't update analogue circuitry itself with a software update.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

They're definitely lying to all of you. You've been duped.

Somebody should call the President.
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Addict
It's digitally controlled, so you can update the mechanisms by which the analogue circuits are being controlled. Much like in a car, you can update the software that controls it, which can have dramatic effects on the power delivered but you haven't changed and mechanical devices within the machine.
Old 27th February 2017
Deleted 80b9b09
Is this a new update?
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Analog Machine with options to layer samples over the analog drums, or just use samples, such as a hit hat.

Digital control on the analog OSC, etc allow many interesting features.
Old 27th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 80b9b09 View Post
Is this a new update?
No, they're slow and confused.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Just using it makes it all pretty clear.
What they have done is created a couple of components per 'voice'.
These components are things like oscillators, a noise source and envelopes.
Then use some routing scheme to create the actual machines.
They have a couple of these components available per voice. Some are more specialized collections of components, some only have a few simple components.
And the machines are just these components arranged in a particular way.
The more components a voice has, the more flexible it is in recombining these components and the more complex the 'machines' are. But you are stuck with the components per voice. So for instance you will never get a sine wave for the kick because there is no sine wave oscillator component.
Deleted 80b9b09
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
No, they're slow and confused.

Nothing worse than reading about possible updates when you're at work and away from your machines.

These aren't the droids I'm looking for.

I'll move along.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Perhaps I am the odd guy out here but I kept my A4 Black Box when I bought my Analog Keys last year, to utilize the A4 box as an analog drum machine that to my humble ears sounds way better than the AR. I find the AR a bit too "boomy", particularly the bass drum annoy me in every demo and in-person, so I just happen to prefer the A4 for drum duties and seems way more versatile in the synthesis dept. in creating percussion sounds. But above the sound, my fingers absolutely do not like the pads on the AR.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Perhaps I am the odd guy out here but I kept my A4 Black Box when I bought my Analog Keys last year, to utilize the A4 box as an analog drum machine that to my humble ears sounds way better than the AR. I find the AR a bit too "boomy", particularly the bass drum annoy me in every demo and in-person, so I just happen to prefer the A4 for drum duties and seems way more versatile in the synthesis dept. in creating percussion sounds. But above the sound, my fingers absolutely do not like the pads on the AR.
Regardless, the AR is analogue.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Regardless, the AR is analogue.
But, highly reliant upon samples to sound good...through analog filters.
Old 27th February 2017

If you only browse through the presets and do not dive in the programming, sure.

Last edited by barbee; 27th February 2017 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Do,does,doh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stick an "imo" at the end of that, imo.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Stick an "imo" at the end of that, imo.
But of course it's his opinion; why would "imo" be needed?
Old 27th February 2017
Is always looks a bit fussy to me for a drum machine.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
But of course it's his opinion; why would "imo" be needed?
Just sit back and watch the piranha elektron fanboys come and have a feeding frenzy. They would defend an elektron branded bidet that you have to hit 6 button combos just to flush, depending on body weight calculations of post-flush, of course.
Old 27th February 2017

Hyperbole train is now departing tut tuuuut
Quote:
This is not true.
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Nut

The A4 / Analog Rytm use FPGAs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-...ble_gate_array

This means the chip used to control the analogue circuitry can be reprogrammed ("rewired") to change it's function / add features / new machines etc. etc.

Very clever stuff!!!!
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Addict

No elektron fanboy here,I sold my Octatrack and A4 but the RYTM is without one of the most treasured pieces of gear I have ever owned and I will be keeping it,
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

The Rytm is basically like a modular system. There are a dedicated number of circuits meant for analog percussion, but they are able to be fully re-routed in various ways. The Rytm operating system can be updated to reroute the circuits in new ways.

This is why the Rytm is an exciting unit - because many drum machines only offer one set of fixed routing circuits, and you need multiple drum machines to have a variety. The rerouted circuits + samples make it the best drum machine available, IMO.

Also if you can't make knocking drum sounds with the analog machines, its either due to you or your monitors. It doesn't hand you drums, but once you know how to dial in drums its effortless. Even with just the "909" kick - BD Hard - I can make drums that sound nowhere near a 909 but sound heavenly.
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

only the bottom four voices and the hihat/cymbal voices got new machines. Mostly by making changes to the internal mod matrixes and their ranges, I'd wager. The noise and the impulse machines are digital. Doesn't seem that far fetched really.

If the rytm was VA, surely the four tom voices would have gotten new machines as well?

Granted, rytm sounds very "stable" an non sloppy, to the point of almost sounding digital at times. You need to program the slop in if you want it, it doesn't come automatically like on old analog rhytm boxes (and I believe this is intentional)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
only the bottom four voices and the hihat/cymbal voices got new machines. Mostly by making changes to the internal mod matrixes and their ranges, I'd wager. The noise and the impulse machines are digital. Doesn't seem that far fetched really.

If the rytm was VA, surely the four tom voices would have gotten new machines as well?

Granted, rytm sounds very "stable" an non sloppy, to the point of almost sounding digital at times. You need to program the slop in if you want it, it doesn't come automatically like on old analog rhytm boxes (and I believe this is intentional)
The only ones that didn't get new were the toms ! If they made an update that tuned the envelope decay to make 909-ish toms, and a different vibe to the bass tom, I would be in heaven
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

Isn't the noise digital?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
Isn't the noise digital?
stop the presses, the "Analog" Rytm is a SHAM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
stop the presses, the "Analog" Rytm is a SHAM
So are you saying the noise is analog? I'm looking for an answer to my question.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
So are you saying the noise is analog? I'm looking for an answer to my question.
its digital, just being a brat
📝 Reply