The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the Analog Rytm really analog?
Old 27th February 2017
Deleted b598644
so, apparently it is analog, but still the price, the small screen and the rotary encoders don't appeal to me
Old 27th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
The Rytm is basically like a modular system. There are a dedicated number of circuits meant for analog percussion, but they are able to be fully re-routed in various ways. The Rytm operating system can be updated to reroute the circuits in new ways.
So the A4 can do nothing like this?
Old 28th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
So the A4 can do nothing like this?
Right. Analog drum circuitry is very different from typical melodic synth circuits. The toms are a sine that feedbacks itself to create resonance. One of the bass drum circuits (also used in the 808 kick) is a Bridged-T sine network, where one sine pings and resonates another sine and replicates a drum head being hit with a stick. They aren't capable of doing sounds outside of percussion, which is why they are limited to drum machines. The Rytm replicates the circuits of most of the 808, the 909 kick/snare/rimshot, (I would assume) the 606 kick and hi hats/cymbal (BD silk and HH/CY metallic), and then does a number of designs specific to the Rytm.

You can make percussive sounds with a regular analog synth, but thats its own thing from analog drums
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
so, apparently it is analog, but still the price, the small screen and the rotary encoders don't appeal to me
It's the most advanced drum synth/machine out there though.
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
maybe, but my budget doesn't stretch that far
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Trying to imagine even one voice given knob per function, while still being able to navigate the thing, and I am getting
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
maybe, but my budget doesn't stretch that far
Fair enough , it is a premium cost for a premium item
Gear Guru

Quote:
Trying to imagine even one voice given knob per function, while still being able to navigate the thing, and I am getting
Mahoosive
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

It is advanced alien technology. You guys really thought Hector was human...

Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
They're definitely lying to all of you. You've been duped.

Somebody should call the President.
I tweeted him and he said, "IT'S TERRIBLE what's happening in Sweden with FAKE ANALOG!! SAD!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenPunkHippy View Post
The A4 / Analog Rytm use FPGAs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-...ble_gate_array

This means the chip used to control the analogue circuitry can be reprogrammed ("rewired") to change it's function / add features / new machines etc. etc.

Very clever stuff!!!!
Well I am working with FPGAs every day (electronic engineering). The usage alone doesn't prove one to be "very clever".

But FPGAs are as digital as DSPs except that you can increase sampling rate to insane values and there is a huge amount of processing available. Still its digital and cannot be sold as "analog".

But how do you know? Did you open the box?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
But how do you know? Did you open the box?
The FPGA is used to control the analogue circuitry, similar to how DCO synths utilise digital signals to control analogue oscillators (for increased tuning stability etc.).

Do they use FPGAs? Sure ...

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/a4-te...rared-pics/928
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Guru

OMfG do people really believe this isn't analogue?
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only ones that didn't get new were the toms ! If they made an update that tuned the envelope decay to make 909-ish toms, and a different vibe to the bass tom, I would be in heaven
Use the oneshot lfo set to TUN

The new soundpack by cuckoo has a lovely 80s tom sound btw (all synthesis)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
Use the oneshot lfo set to TUN
The problem with the LFO (at least on mine) is that it lags a little. So the sound won't be spot on. Otherwise this would be a great trick.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
The problem with the LFO (at least on mine) is that it lags a little. So the sound won't be spot on. Otherwise this would be a great trick.
What speed multiplier are you using? waveform? lfo fade param at zero?
Lives for gear

Quote:
What speed multiplier are you using? waveform? lfo fade param at zero?
Any multiplier, any wave. But for discussion lets say i want to make a kick with LFO->pitch with the single saw wave pulse.
The problem seems that the LFO resets a little behind the envelopes. Also, the sync point wanders a little so not all hits sound equal. The trancient is especially variable.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Any multiplier, any wave. But for discussion lets say i want to make a kick with LFO->pitch with the single saw wave pulse.
The problem seems that the LFO resets a little behind the envelopes. Also, the sync point wanders a little so not all hits sound equal. The trancient is especially variable.
Fascinating. Have never noticed this, and I use exponential oneshots all the time. Have you tried recalibrating?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fascinating. Have never noticed this, and I use exponential oneshots all the time. Have you tried recalibrating?
No, havent tried it. Don't they tell you not to calibrate tho? I have no idea what the calibration actually does. I always thought it was for the pads or something.
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Maniac

If you want it to sound the same every time, sample it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckadecimal View Post
If you want it to sound the same every time, sample it.
The rythm can't sample itself. And i'm not going to resample it extrenally. If i went that route i could just as well use any other sample and completely forget about the analog part of the rythm.
This is about what you can do with only the analog part of the rythm.
Old 28th February 2017
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Addict

It is analog. But what does that mean? There is very ****ty sounding analog.
It sounds alright though, but the Tanzbär sounds much better in that regard. Rytm is more fun with samples.
I agree to some degree that A4 sounds better than Rytm for certain drum sounds (deep, snappy). Rytm can do interesting melodic synth sounds btw, also using a sample as oscillator.
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Addict
The analog devices have a chip in them that lets them rewire circuits its soposed to be newer tech. So all the voices do have fully analog circuits, and the chip just rewires it for diffrent analog set up. Thats how they are gettin diffrent machines out of it. The analog circuits have a direct analog path to audio outs. Simply put Its kind of like having a modular set up and the chip dose the rewire. Both analog machines sound analog and they both sound great. I belive the ocs are DCO. Their are picrures of the inside of A4 some where on this form, that shows how the circuits are laid out, which you can clearly see the 4 voice analog circuits and some controller chip for them. Its a brilant move of elektron, but i do belive a japanese company came up with these "re wire chips" idea. Hope that helps
📝 Reply