SH5
99 Votes - 7.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1306. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmer View Post
most of the factory patches on an ultranova are shyte.

Same with the Summit. They should offer these separately for those who want it and give others who couldn't care less a discount on the price.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Also must include the pico-Prophet in the shootout.
it beats them all by light years anyway, recently it has 8 voices and the only one with analog envelopes from lithuania
Old 4 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Just had a peak at the P5 thread and after all that anticipation and videos by renowned sound designers, it is not passing the early adopter test.

Loved @ pppch 's "the curse of Dave Rossum". So funny.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Just had a peak at the P5 thread and after all that anticipation and videos by renowned sound designers, it is not passing the early adopter test.

Loved @ pppch 's "the curse of Dave Rossum". So funny.
in the end I don't know, but emu already had a formative experience back then.
the p5 thread is unfortunately just ridiculous. too much hype and too high expectations.
Gear Nut
Quote:
So here's the deal from Behr

"Choose your next analog poly synth!
I don't have Facebook. Can somebody write "Jupiter-8" for me? Like loads of times? :-)

It's been my dream synth since 1981, but my economic fortunes have somehow been mirrored by it's price, so it has always been out of reach. *sigh*

Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8! PLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssss......
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by regebro View Post
I don't have Facebook.
It's FREE! You only forfeit your privacy :-)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
Are you sure? I have heard rumors that it's either your soul or your first-born.

Masi
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
And all my time.

I wish I had self control.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I don't have Facebook. Can somebody write "Jupiter-8" for me? Like loads of times? :-)
And an original "plain" synth with VCOs. No need for digital FX onboard. But with separate outputs in case it's a dual-layer synth.

Masi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masitito View Post
Are you sure? I have heard rumors that it's either your soul or your first-born.

Masi
I started with soul, but that felt like too much. Guess not!
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's been my dream synth since 1981, but my economic fortunes have somehow been mirrored by it's price, so it has always been out of reach. *sigh*

Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8Jupiter-8! PLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssss......
That's what I was reading in that thread. Most people saying Jupiter 8. That's why I said it here in a later post. It makes sense, since the Prophet clone can follow the Pro-800 that is being done by another team.
Quote:
There's one thing I like in Behringer, they don't spend money getting fancy hot-ass sound designers to do patches, it would appear. I have no use for this, even if the result was good, which is not always the case, I prefer to make my own sounds rather than use other people's ideas of what they should be. So when buying a synth, I am paying extra for something I don't have any use for.
That's probably why a few well-known sound designers really hate them.
OTOH, good to see some of the non-sponsored programmers building some excellent sound banks for the DM12, and I'm sure that will continue with any new programmable synths they release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir View Post
Sounds like you want a knobby Cheetah MS6, if so that's a big thumbs up from me

plus it would probably be cheaper than getting mine repaired
Yes, forgot about that one; never used it but would be interested to hear demos.
Using the CEM 3396 as the base of the voice architecture makes sense for this type of synth, paticularly as it might sound a bit like the Matrix-6. More pots would definitely be needed though!
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Yes, forgot about that one; never used it but would be interested to hear demos.
Using the CEM 3396 as the base of the voice architecture makes sense for this type of synth, paticularly as it might sound a bit like the Matrix-6. More pots would definitely be needed though!
Isn't the REV2 (and the prophet 08) a knobby Cheetah?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I am into my AiX powered Casios for digital everything, but for pure retro digital, could Behringer make a Yamaha Reface Mini-DX?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote:
Isn't the REV2 (and the prophet 08) a knobby Cheetah?
Minus the multi-timbrality. I always thought the Matrix-6 sounded better than P08/REV2, but that could just be my bias for anything with an Oberheim logo on the front.

Even if these synths have a slightly thinner sound compared to the big boys, that's potentially an advantage when using multi-timbral voices as you don't want each voice to sound too thick anyway when there's 6+ of them playing at once.
Old 4 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

So what about this then?

https://www.coolaudio.com/docs/Datas...NpoxEHk1R_Unng

Things are moving quickly chez Behringer
Gear Maniac
I think the release of the Pro5 rev 4 is fantastic- for 2 reasons.

1) If you're cashed up and want a heritage, near original classic which is great if thats what youre after (and youve got the money).

2) More important for this thread is Im really hoping this creates an opportunity for Behringer NOT to go with a pro5 clone
..... and instead look at a "inspired by" version with voice architecture of the Pro5, but with the modern bells & whistles of a Deepmind, (which Dave Smiths team opted to leave out) - eg stereo output !, arppegiator, effects etc....

Wouldnt be adverse to a Deepmind "XL" either - 5 octave keybed, full second oscillator, bigger screen, external input to allow routing through its fantatic effects or even access to its filter.......
Old 4 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Except that last time I looked a lot of people are not getting what they paid for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKrishna View Post

1) If you're cashed up and want a heritage, near original classic which is great if thats what youre after (and youve got the money).

2) More important for this thread is Im really hoping this creates an opportunity for Behringer NOT to go with a pro5 clone
..... and instead look at a "inspired by" version with voice architecture of the Pro5, but with the modern bells & whistles of a Deepmind, (which Dave Smiths team opted to leave out) - eg stereo output !, arppegiator, effects etc....

Wouldnt be adverse to a Deepmind "XL" either - 5 octave keybed, full second oscillator, bigger screen, external input to allow routing through its fantatic effects or even access to its filter.......
If they really have a universal firmware for polysynths now, there's every chance that new products will be released much faster next year. It also means that following the development of the UBXa there will be potential for advanced mod options on every synth, even if they are hidden from the top panel.

Hope that firmware has baked-in support for MIDI 2 and poly AT.
Patch morphing would be nice too, although Arturia have done that well now.
Oh, and AFX patch-per-key mode (since Novation don't seem to be in a rush to implement it on the Peak / Summit).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

A super retro, white chassis Rev 1 Odyssey would turn heads!!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyb...try=US&cur=USD
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanYoshizato View Post
A super retro, white chassis Rev 1 Odyssey would turn heads!!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyb...try=US&cur=USD
For that price, you are better off with the 2600, which is cheaper and more complete.
Gear Head
Quote:
There's one thing I like in Behringer, they don't spend money getting fancy hot-ass sound designers to do patches, it would appear. I have no use for this, even if the result was good, which is not always the case, I prefer to make my own sounds rather than use other people's ideas of what they should be. So when buying a synth, I am paying extra for something I don't have any use for.
I'm with you 100% on this.

When I bought a new synth (it shall remain nameless) earlier this year it had the initials of all the patch designers as part of the preset names.

It was interesting to listen to because a couple of guilty parties were responsible for a large percentage of the less-than-stellar presets. I wonder how much they were paid, or if they got free units for their efforts. Either way they were overcompensated; the quality of those patches was roughly on par with what someone could come up with by hitting the "Random" button a half dozen times.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
For that price, you are better off with the 2600, which is cheaper and more complete.
I think Behringer could make this (Rev 1 Odyssey) for $399.
Yamaha DX7 with knobs and sliders u.i. and a touch screen
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
Yamaha DX7 with knobs and sliders u.i. and a touch screen
Agreed.
An FM (phase modulation actually) synth implemented using FPGA tech so there is no aliasing, with the operators design, but sliders for envelopes and other parameters.

And an analogue filter/VCA per voice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'd like to see a desktop version of the Jupiter 8 that looks kinda like an 808 with sliders etc.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonDonsen View Post
I'd like to see a desktop version of the Jupiter 8 that looks kinda like an 808 with sliders etc.
That would be nice and have a switchable filter so it could have the jp4 filter too for some dirty action
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKrishna View Post

I would rather have a proper Juno 60 clone.
Lives for gear

Please make a split zone midi keyboard with
- Poly Aftertouch
- 4 Channel arpeggiator that's based on the Hydrasynth and the Futre Retro ZILLION
- easy to record midi sequencer / midi looper
- audio FX & analog filters for each section

and a modular VST host, to use plugins standalone with custom designed UI

also great would be multichannel versions of
- MOOG EQs (parametric and graphic)
- SND FB14(S) Filterbank
- Syncussion SY1

Last edited by TonStrom; 4 weeks ago at 12:55 PM..
๐Ÿ“ Reply