The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Vote for the synths you want Behringer to make
SH 101
111 Votes - 13.74%
SH 202
20 Votes - 2.48%
TB 303
69 Votes - 8.54%
Jupiter 8
294 Votes - 36.39%
Jupiter 6
64 Votes - 7.92%
Jupiter 4
83 Votes - 10.27%
OB-X
115 Votes - 14.23%
OB-XA
187 Votes - 23.14%
VCS-3
130 Votes - 16.09%
Synthi A
105 Votes - 13.00%
Polykobol
71 Votes - 8.79%
Polivoks
54 Votes - 6.68%
Mini korg 700s
37 Votes - 4.58%
Oberheim 4 voice
57 Votes - 7.05%
CS-80
237 Votes - 29.33%
PPG wave
108 Votes - 13.37%
Memory Moog
110 Votes - 13.61%
Prophet 5
146 Votes - 18.07%
Buchla easel
85 Votes - 10.52%
Voyetra 8
51 Votes - 6.31%
VP-330
58 Votes - 7.18%
Arp Quadra
57 Votes - 7.05%
Arp Chroma
40 Votes - 4.95%
Arp 2600
229 Votes - 28.34%
Arp sequencer
24 Votes - 2.97%
Synclavier
48 Votes - 5.94%
Wasp
52 Votes - 6.44%
SH1
16 Votes - 1.98%
SH7
38 Votes - 4.70%
SH5
61 Votes - 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 808. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Sounds like the next logical re-issue is OB-8 .
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

A decent resource for the CEM SSM chips:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEM_an...n_synthesizers

I can see potential Simmons SDS clone here. Uli!

And don't forget FM + knobs in all this!
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
We just received the first batch of our 3340 VCO chip.

It is a 100% exact replica of the Curtis CEM3340 which even includes the 40 year old, 8 micron manufacturing process. It was a difficult and expensive undertaking but we are very pleased with the result as this VCO is considered one of the best sounding oscillators.

We are continuing to invest in reviving other legacy Curtis and SSM semiconductors which will allow us to bring back classic synths - all in the most authentic way. We have also reissued the 3320 filter chip which should be arriving in a few months.

Uli
I can smell an SH-101 remake coming! That was using a 3340 VCO.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

It is a 100% exact replica of the Curtis CEM3340 which even includes the 40 year old, 8 micron manufacturing process. It was a difficult and expensive undertaking but we are very pleased with the result as this VCO is considered one of the best sounding oscillators.

We are continuing to invest in reviving other legacy Curtis and SSM semiconductors which will allow us to bring back classic synths - all in the most authentic way. We have also reissued the 3320 filter chip which should be arriving in a few months.

Uli
Great news. So you have options:

1. Produce full size close recreations of the classics. Even with Chinese production, they would be pricey and the market would be limited. If anyone doubts this, check what Moog say about their Minimoog reissue - "NOTE: Due to the complexity of the build process coupled with the demand for other Moog instruments, we are only able to produce a small number of Minimoog Model D units per month.". How well have Korg's full size MS20 and Odyssey done? Korg had to make the MS20 limited to shift them.

2. Produce small but close recreations like the proposed Behringer D. The Behrimoog (that name would really upset people!). Get 90% of the way there and sell a ton. A Microbrute sized SH101 would clean up. Ignore the people asking for full MIDI CC control and memories on monos, they don't get it. The originals sound and respond like they do because all the digital stuff isn't on them.

3. Produce "something new". These won't have the kudos, recognition or appeal of the originals but could still be successful, like the Deep Mind. Actual R&D money and time needed for these. You've said the DM12 has cost $1 million to develop. I can't see that happening for every synth.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Aside from the Oscar synth, I can confirm that the 2600 is high on our priority list as it is a truly remarkable synth; I always wanted one for myself:-)
Aside from wanting original Behringer synths, please make an OSCar clone. I don't believe there are any hardware clones of it yet.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

Uli
Yeeeees now Im listening OB-XA, Prophet 5 Rev 2 and Voyetra 8 gets my vote, and dont underestimate the advantage of having keys on a synth. More ergonomic and more inspiring to use and easier to place on a synth stand

Old 16th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Kobol expander similar in size and price as behrimoog would be great.
Or even Polykobol, as someone suggested in the thread on DeepMind 12.

+ Elca Synthex, Yamaha CS and Stringer
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Maybe an old joke, but UB-8 ?
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Great news. So you have options:
2. Produce small but close recreations like the proposed Behringer D. The Behrimoog (that name would really upset people!). Get 90% of the way there and sell a ton. A Microbrute sized SH101 would clean up. Ignore the people asking for full MIDI CC control and memories on monos, they don't get it. The originals sound and respond like they do because all the digital stuff isn't on them.
For me it is the best solution in terms of both price and space requirements.
IMHO everything depends on whether the Behringer Moog will sell as well as the DM12.

Please, if you design modules, do not forget that some people want to use them for playing keyboards. That's why you need good midi implementation, at least note on / off, pitchband & modulation.
Dynamics and aftertouch is an additional advantage, as well as preset memory, VST editors and possibility of automation in DAW (personally it is not necessary for me, but I understand that for many people it may be important).
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

I wonder if Uli could make a synth shaped similar to a Prophet T8. It's perfect to fit another synth on top, or a laptop, monitor and keyboard etc. Practical I think.
Old 16th March 2017
Here for the gear

A simple modular system with $29 modules of classic oscilators / filters / lfo's etc.

A simple modular system with $29 modules of classic oscilators / filters / lfo's etc.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenisnine View Post
Sounds like the next logical re-issue is OB-8 .
..or OB-Xa.. or (hopefully), an OB-X12 with Xpander modulation options 8-)
Old 16th March 2017
Quote:

Uli
That's exciting news!
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Uli, could Behringer produce a cheap MIDI to CV/Gate Interface ?

I recently wanted to buy one, to send MIDI from my DAW to a Synth that only has CV/Gate Inputs.

I was shocked to find out at Thomann Store that there are only two companies offering such devices and the cheapest one costs 120 Euro.

as a comparison: a USB to MIDI Interface Cable costs 15 EUR if you take a cheap one.

I did not buy a MIDI to CV/Gate Interface, btw. No way I spend that much money on such a simple thing.

I have no idea if such products sell very much (I kind of doubt it), but maybe that is something which Behringer can offer at a fair price and which is simple to make.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Uli
I see where you got your handle now Chief, can't wait to see what your team comes up with.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluther View Post
As both a customer and a human being with a conscience, I do. And I'm certainly not alone in this, although that sentiment might be in the minority here in this forum and thread.

I voice this dissenting opinion for two reasons:

First, I've mostly made my peace with what Behringer does, because if industry leaders like Roland, Korg, and Yamaha have decided resurrecting their own designs for analog products is not part of their product strategy and these are essentially "abandoned properties," then why shouldn't a company like Behringer come along and fill that void? Especially if significant improvements and enhancements are made like doubling polyphony, improving the software and adding usable effects.

Second, gearslutz has seemingly become the authoritative source for Behringer-related product news by virtue of Uli Behringer's near-exclusive participation here. That's good for gearslutz, but if news sources worldwide are viewing these forums as source material, it follows they will also gauge user opinion here in addition to their own forums where available.
I don't have a problem with using out-of-patent designs to make new instruments. To me, it's like generic drugs made once the patent expires so that millions of patients can be treated for a fraction of the original price. I do have a problem with inhumane working conditions though, and that's why I've avoided certain computing brands (favoured by most musicians) when I know the working conditions in the factories are unnecessarily bad. I'd also like to see more synth manufacturing move back to USA and Europe, and I'd pay a few $$s more to cover the costs so long as the synths use great build quality (like Vermona, for example).
Old 16th March 2017
Here for the gear

SH-101 remake with 3340 chip will be nice
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Nut

Maybe in addition to all of the great suggestions, Behringer can finally bring the legendary (!!!!) Bahn Sage to the world!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rCfKhti4H9...1600/sage1.jpg
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

RSF Kobol!

Mos Lab / Moog modular System 55 clone for $1000/
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralbert View Post
I can smell an SH-101 remake coming! That was using a 3340 VCO.
If Behringer were to do one, and they nail the sound in either a desktop or a 3-octave keyboard format, I don't think I could stop myself from buying one.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversive View Post
yes, affordable modular. would be a great way to go.
even if modules were in SMD. was thinking of something
like this 20 yrs ago - inspired by philip rees products, really -
current eurorack is sadistically expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
If Behringer were to do one, and they nail the sound in either a desktop or a 3-octave keyboard format, I don't think I could stop myself from buying one.
or make it look like a mini cmu-810
(include the novamods)
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Head
Quote:

Uli
SH-101
OB-8
Waldorf Wave
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear
Well an SH-101 tribute would be aiming at the Korg Monologue, Arturia Microbrute, and the Waldorf Rocket.

Features that beat competition:
-3 octave or full-size Keyboard
-2 VCO's + Noise/Sub/Ringmod
-MIDI in/out/thru
-USB to CV/MIDI control
-CV Gate/Pitch I/O
-2 analog syncable LFO's
-2 full ADSR with Faders

Wishlist
-Audio input
-a few Patch points
-syncable delay(3/16!!!)
Old 17th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenisnine View Post
I support many of the previous comments which suggest digital-analog hybrid. It could be something like a bastard son of Blofeld and JD-XA. Polyphonic synthesizer with digital oscillators capable of sample processing. So, preferably

- 8 voice architecture, preferably multitimbral
- 2 versatile DCO:s with variable waveforms
- 2 digital oscillators capable of playing wavetables as well as sapmples and doing granular synthesis.
- Analog multimode filter
- Modulation matrix
- Interface similar to DeepMind 12. More knobs than in a Blofeld, less than in JD-XA
- All sorts of cross-modulation and FM possibilies.
- Effects such as in Deep Mind.
- Sequencer capable of sequencing also exterenal gear.
Awesome idea.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Shrink the cabinet cut the speakers throw in an oled and make a 2600 with effects, and yes patch memory, if possible a 16% rise on the back panel
Old 17th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:

Uli
Gasp! Amazing times.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear
Are MPCx000 clones out of the question?
Made for Modular Compatibility!

Mixer/Sampler/multi-FX/sequencer
-2x mono line inputs, 2x Modular inputs, 1 stereo line input
-2x stereo outs, 2x mono outs
-2 analog resonant filters, analog distortion, analog stereo chorus, analog compression
-Digital multi-FX
-8 tracks
-2X MIDI outs, 2x CV/Gate outs, 4 assignable CV outs (LFO/EG/Clock/trig)
-HDD/lots of Flash memory

For starters...
Old 17th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

Uli

It would certainly be a good move to turn your attention to semiconductors used in the CS series, 1. Yamaha won't be doing it again so it's a niche you have all for yourself and 2. the mono synths CS15, CS30 sound powerful but totally different from the poly CS60, CS80, so those ICs cover a huge range.
Old 17th March 2017
Here for the gear

Uli, here is the list of synths / gear you should bring back to life:

1. Arp 2600
2. Elka Synthex
3. OB-XA
4. VCS-3 / Synthi A
5. Octave Cat
6. Pro One
7. CS-80
8. Mono/Poly
9. Oscar
10. Waldorf Wave
11. EDP Wasp
12. SH-101
13. Jupiter 8
14. Prophet 5 rev 2
15. Music Easel
16. Simmons SDS
17. Voyetra Eight
18. Polivoks
19. Jupiter 4
20. RE-201 Space Echo

Done.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataumplane View Post
Uli, here is the list of synths / gear you should bring back to life:

1. Arp 2600
2. Elka Synthex
3. OB-XA
4. VCS-3 / Synthi A
5. Octave Cat
6. Pro One
7. CS-80
8. Mono/Poly
9. Oscar
10. Waldorf Wave
11. EDP Wasp
12. SH-101
13. Jupiter 8
14. Prophet 5 rev 2
15. Music Easel
16. Simmons SDS
17. Voyetra Eight
18. Polivoks
19. Jupiter 4
20. RE-201 Space Echo

Done.
ARP 2600 and OSCar have already been announced and I dare say these will be followed by OBXA and SH101 with others to follow after.
For myself I'm looking for a sequencer along the lines of beatstep pro but better or a sequencer sampler along the lines of the mpc range.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search