The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Matrixbrute inside photos Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th February 2017
  #1
Gear Head
 

Matrixbrute inside photos

People were wondering how the Matrixbrute was built and what sort of quality it has. Maybe these pictures will help you figure it out.
It looks built to last, it's freakin' heavy , and I'm surprised at how much stuff is in there for $2k!

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Matrixbrute inside photos-voiceboardfront.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-cv_board.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-fx.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-main.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-main1.jpg  

Matrixbrute inside photos-main2.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-mainandps.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-matrixfront1.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-matrixfront2.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-panel_ar_f.jpg  

Matrixbrute inside photos-panel_ar_r.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-panel_fx_f.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-panel_fx_r.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-panel_matrix_r.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-vb_4.jpg  

Matrixbrute inside photos-vb_1.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-vb_2.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-vb_3.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-panel_al_r.jpg   Matrixbrute inside photos-metal_matrix.jpg  


Last edited by tonykara; 20th February 2017 at 07:38 AM..
Old 19th February 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

O yea
Old 19th February 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykara View Post
People were wondering how the Matrixbrute was built and what sort of quality it has. Maybe these pictures will help you figure it out.
It looks built to last, it's freakin' heavy , and I'm surprised at how much stuff is in there for $2k!

Enjoy!
Awesome! Thank you for sharing!
Old 19th February 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

Thanks for the pictures tonykara!

Am I seeing two power supplies? One for the digital side and the LEDs and one for the voice? Or...

That's a grown up voice board! I guess the 6 by 6 chip arrangement on the voice board is the CV demux and S&Hs(?)

Have you put it all back together yet...?
Old 19th February 2017
  #5
Gear Head
 

Yes, one power supply is for +5V, and the other is +/-12V

Yeah, looks like 96 CVs in that thing.

Yes, and without any leftover screws!
Old 19th February 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 

There's an impressive amount of circuitry in there for a single synth voice. I can only imagine how big and expensive this thing would have been had it been created using through hole components instead of SMT. Given the great sound, features, and all of this complexity, $2000 seems like a bargain. It's on my list of potential purchases, but not before a few other big ticket items.
Old 19th February 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
ranzee's Avatar
Anyone recognise the BBD chip on the FX pic? I can't seem to find it.

Also - what's with all that space on the CV board? wow - I'd like to see a video of the inside (Markus?) - so I can work out what the hell is going on in there lol!
Old 19th February 2017
  #8
Gear Head
 

If you google what you see on the BBD chip: Coolaudio V3208D, you'll find the datasheet in about 2 seconds.
Old 19th February 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
 
ranzee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykara View Post
If you google what you see on the BBD chip: Coolaudio V3208D, you'll find the datasheet in about 2 seconds.
cheers - I was probably miss-typing it
Old 19th February 2017
  #10
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
Also - what's with all that space on the CV board? wow - I'd like to see a video of the inside (Markus?) - so I can work out what the hell is going on in there lol!
In the photo labeled CV board, the CV board is the little board at the top loaded with jacks.
You're probably talking about the larger board and that's the back of the matrix.

Someone from Arturia said they found some special chips to do the matrix function but I see no evidence of that. It looks like a standard software modulation implementation presented in a nice large always-visible matrix.
Old 19th February 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykara View Post
...
Someone from Arturia said they found some special chips to do the matrix function but I see no evidence of that. It looks like a standard software modulation implementation presented in a nice large always-visible matrix.
Heh... I thought I'd have the good grace to not comment on that, having finally seen the boards That claim was one of the reasons I was keen to see a tear down, even though the implementation has been discussed, and it has been 99.9% obvious all along...

Now that this particular cat is out of the bag, we can comment though. No claims of mystical chips are needed, Arturia, because: (1) you know there will be a tear down, and (2) the matrix is very cool no matter what and I think we're all pretty impressed with what's inside anyway. I dare say that e.g. the twin power supplies is a better boasting point than non existing chips made by unicorns
Old 19th February 2017
  #12
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Heh... I thought I'd have the good grace to not comment on that, having finally seen the boards That claim was one of the reasons I was keen to see a tear down, even though the implementation has been discussed, and it has been 99.9% obvious all along...

Now that this particular cat is out of the bag, we can comment though. No claims of mystical chips are needed, Arturia, because: (1) you know there will be a tear down, and (2) the matrix is very cool no matter what and I think we're all pretty impressed with what's inside anyway. I dare say that e.g. the twin power supplies is a better boasting point than non existing chips made by unicorns
Too funny.

Ah yeah, you and I were chatting about this a year ago on their main thread. Maybe they had trouble with their special chip set, and figured out how it should have been done all along.
Old 19th February 2017
  #13
Gear Head
 

Is there a way to control the quality of images stored here? I just looked at the ones I posted any they are much worse than what I have locally.
Old 19th February 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykara View Post
Is there a way to control the quality of images stored here? I just looked at the ones I posted any they are much worse than what I have locally.
They seem to be automatically scaled down to a maximum of 1024 x 768 with no option to retain the original size. If you have a link to some higher res versions, I'd be interested in seeing them...


Oh, and just to be sure, my previous posting was meant as a lil' engineering banter, no ill will or anything.
Old 19th February 2017
  #15
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
Well, there goes warranty out of the window.
Old 20th February 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
 
ranzee's Avatar
Pour your images up on dropbox or imgur, link them to here.

Interesting about the matrix circuit ...
Old 20th February 2017
  #17
Gear Head
 

Try these. I don't have any html there so you'll have to click on them one at a time.

Index of /matrixbrute
Old 20th February 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykara View Post
Try these. I don't have any html there so you'll have to click on them one at a time.

Index of /matrixbrute
Excellent!

I'm counting 6 ARM microcontrollers(!) Just out of curiosity, did you spot any more uCs on the left hand front panel board behind the PSUs (there's no component side picture of that one). It looks like there's a ribbon cable going from that board to the keybed(?) which would mean that it's likely to be at least one more uC there...
Old 20th February 2017
  #19
Gear Head
 

I've spotted 8 total. One of the panel boards has two ARM processors. I'll dig up the pics of missing processors and add them later. The little processors have a 16 input mux to their internal A/D, and it seems they chose to add a processor instead of an external mux. Those little processors are about $1, but that's still more expensive than a 20 cent mux.
Old 20th February 2017
  #20
Lives for gear
 
acreil's Avatar
 

That effect section looks fairly ridiculous. 6 BBDs with 10240 stages total. I wonder if that's some kind of record.

I didn't notice any OTAs in the entire thing. They must all be discrete VCAs. And there must be an enormous number of them. Almost all the ICs in the signal path are op amps or switches.

Last edited by acreil; 20th February 2017 at 07:09 PM..
Old 20th February 2017
  #21
Gear Head
 

Added a few more pics
Old 20th February 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykara View Post
I've spotted 8 total. One of the panel boards has two ARM processors. I'll dig up the pics of missing processors and add them later. The little processors have a 16 input mux to their internal A/D, and it seems they chose to add a processor instead of an external mux. Those little processors are about $1, but that's still more expensive than a 20 cent mux.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykara View Post
Added a few more pics
Right - so there are two more ARM uCs on the left panel board, and that does indeed bring the tally to 8. Those ARMs with their built in muxes seem to match the number of pots on each board pretty well.

There really is a lot of electronics in there. And that huge discrete voice board... wow! They didn't skimp on anything by the looks of it. No wonder it took a little time to get it all together...
Old 25th February 2017
  #23
F5D
Lives for gear
 
F5D's Avatar
 

Wow, thank you so much for the hires photos! That is indeed lots of components in the synth.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump