The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
The Warriors opening theme track what synth(s)?
Old 10th February 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
 

The Warriors opening theme track what synth(s)?

One of my all time favorite movies and the opening theme song one of my favorite songs ever. I can't find much info regarding the production. I read that it was the first track in a film to incorporate electronic sounds and rock guitars? Barry DeVorzon was the musician. That's about all the info i can find on this song.

Does anyone know the synth(s) sound on this track. It sounds so electric. It sounds super tough. Awesome half bar loop that just keeps moving forward. And that stabby sound that delays and falls away that sounds soooo 70's. What is it? Is that a Rhodes sound in there? The arpeggiated sound that keeps looping over and over? This song makes me want to go out into the night and pick a fight or something lol

Even the intro sounds with the shots of the ferris wheel sound awesome.

Old 10th February 2017
  #2
saw this in an older thread on GS called Electronica based Soundtracks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
As for The Warriors soundtrack; I was told by Barry De Vorzon that he used a Yamaha CS-60 and Minimoog on that one.

<snip>

Cheers,
Micke
Old 10th February 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Clark Spangler and Ian Underwood played the synths on this soundtrack along with Barry DeVorzon. According to Barry the synths used included a Yamaha CS-80, CS-60 and a Minimoog.
Old 11th February 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radic View Post
One of my all time favorite movies and the opening theme song one of my favorite songs ever. I can't find much info regarding the production. I read that it was the first track in a film to incorporate electronic sounds and rock guitars? Barry DeVorzon was the musician. That's about all the info i can find on this song.

Does anyone know the synth(s) sound on this track. It sounds so electric. It sounds super tough. Awesome half bar loop that just keeps moving forward. And that stabby sound that delays and falls away that sounds soooo 70's. What is it? Is that a Rhodes sound in there? The arpeggiated sound that keeps looping over and over? This song makes me want to go out into the night and pick a fight or something lol

Even the intro sounds with the shots of the ferris wheel sound awesome.

I f'n love that movie; one of my all-time favourites. My old man used to put the bottles on his fingers (old Molson Canadian stubbies) and clink-clink-clink "waarrrriors... come out to play-eee-aay!" scare the crap out of us kids.

One thing I always thought was hilarious was the scene in the intro where one of the gang members is diligently putting in their subway tokens instead of hopping the turnstile like the bad asses they are.
Old 11th February 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I f'n love that movie; one of my all-time favourites. My old man used to put the bottles on his fingers (old Molson Canadian stubbies) and clink-clink-clink "waarrrriors... come out to play-eee-aay!" scare the crap out of us kids.

One thing I always thought was hilarious was the scene in the intro where one of the gang members is diligently putting in their subway tokens instead of hopping the turnstile like the bad asses they are.
yes i've thought the same thing about the token scene as well lol
Old 11th February 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
Clark Spangler and Ian Underwood played the synths on this soundtrack along with Barry DeVorzon. According to Barry the synths used included a Yamaha CS-80, CS-60 and a Minimoog.
Awesome
Old 11th February 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post
saw this in an older thread on GS called Electronica based Soundtracks
Well now i have to save up and buy a CS 60 lol
Old 11th February 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radic View Post
Well now i have to save up and buy a CS 60 lol
Or program that sound on any other synth with similar architecture.
Old 11th February 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

I saw when it came out in theaters back in the day I was 12. Had to go with my grandfather cuz I was too young to get in by myself.

Goodtimes.
Old 11th February 2017
  #10
I loved this soundtrack as a kid (still do), this film along with Quadrophenia, The Wanderers, and Mad Max, are like my favourite teen LP's...I watch them almost every six months, have all my life. Although its OTT gang culture in 70's NYC is fascinating...especially the early Bronx gangs.


Im gonna buy a CS 60 and Minimoog tomorrow...unless theyre too expensive then Ill get a sample pack instead
Old 11th February 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
trick fall's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I f'n love that movie; one of my all-time favourites. My old man used to put the bottles on his fingers (old Molson Canadian stubbies) and clink-clink-clink "waarrrriors... come out to play-eee-aay!" scare the crap out of us kids.

One thing I always thought was hilarious was the scene in the intro where one of the gang members is diligently putting in their subway tokens instead of hopping the turnstile like the bad asses they are.

Kind of funny, but also smart. I see kids and some adults get arrested at least twice a week for jumping the turnstile.
Old 11th February 2017
  #12
OT but had to share it:

Old 11th February 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
Hahah The warriors....a classic film.

"Ohhh Warriors....come out and play"
Old 12th February 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Barry DeVorzon's synth scores to "Looker" (1981) and "Stick" (1985) are pretty darn good too. I also very much like his synth-heavy theme to the TV mini series "V: The Final Battle" (1984). Except for the Sue Saad vocal from Looker (released on 7-inch vinyl back in '81), none of these film scores has ever seen the light of day on LP or CD.

Last edited by mikael488; 12th February 2017 at 10:43 PM..
Old 12th February 2017
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
OT but had to share it:



I remember when the movie came out. Hard to see them so old now as my memory of them is always being young. Makes me feel old.
Old 12th February 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
 
syntonica's Avatar
The stand out of that film was Lynne Thigpen's lips.

Regarding the opening theme being the first track to incorporate guitars and synths, I am assuming this was meant as together, at the same time. Surely that can't be true, though. I would think at least the Goblins or Morricone our somebody would have done it at least once prior to 1979.
Old 12th February 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
jupiter8's Avatar
 

I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle.
Old 13th February 2017
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
OT but had to share it:

No Ajax? That guy actually made a decent career for himself. I don't know about leading roles, but I recall seeing him in many other movies.

I remember there was supposed to be a remake a while ago. I guess that is never going to happen.
Old 13th February 2017
  #19
MAA
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
Barry DeVorzon's synth scores to "Looker" (1981) and "Stick" (1985) are pretty darn good too. I also very much like his synth-heavy theme to the TV mini series "V: The Final Battle" (1984). Except for the Sue Saad vocal from Looker (released on 7-inch vinyl back in '81), none of these film scores has ever seen the light of day on LP or CD.
I made my own soundtrack to Stick using the audio from the DVD. Listened to it quite a bit, hope it gets released some day. Tons of DX7 on it.
Old 13th February 2017
  #20
MAA
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
No Ajax? That guy actually made a decent career for himself. I don't know about leading roles, but I recall seeing him in many other movies.

I remember there was supposed to be a remake a while ago. I guess that is never going to happen.
James Remar. Good actor and a solid career (had some starring roles in smaller films) but from what I've read there was a period in his career when he wasn't so easy to get along with and it might've hampered it. He was the original Hicks in Aliens but got in to it with Cameron so he was fired.
Old 13th February 2017
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
No Ajax? That guy actually made a decent career for himself. I don't know about leading roles, but I recall seeing him in many other movies.

I remember there was supposed to be a remake a while ago. I guess that is never going to happen.
I seen the movie in the theaters in 1981 (EDIT maybe 1980, wasn't 1979) when it came out and I was 12 lol. I always thought the main part of the soundtrack (with the guitars) was a mix from the Styx song from the same year "Too much time on my hands" - seems so familiar.

Ajax was definitely the standout for me in the film - never knew he was also "Ganz" in 48hrs.

CS-60 and CS-80 hmm. Not going there lol. Closest I'll ever come is the CS80 filters on my CODE, not really the same thing of course.

Last edited by iksrazal; 13th February 2017 at 11:42 AM..
Old 13th February 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAA View Post
I made my own soundtrack to Stick using the audio from the DVD. Listened to it quite a bit, hope it gets released some day. Tons of DX7 on it.
That's cool!

Yep, lots of DX-7 on Stick but also Fairlight, Prophet 5 and MSQ-700 if I recall correctly.

The P5 and DX-7 were also used on the V-theme.

Both scores were co-written by Joseph Conlan.
Old 15th July 2019
  #23
Here for the gear
The swirling synth sound at the beginning of the track sounds like a string synth from the 70's. Then again the CS60 and CS80 can do those sounds as well. I was just listening to a Yamaha SK30 doing that swirling synth sound and I've seen someone recently swear that it sounds like a Farisa Polychrome. I suppose they all can do that sound
Old 4 weeks ago
  #24
Here for the gear
V Theme

Found this. Sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww5IWNIIIiI
Old 4 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Wow. This is so nuts. Someone posted something yesterday on Facebook as a movie I need to see because I’ve never seen it. I started it yesterday and just sat down to continue watching, opened my phone and saw this thread. I’m a bit out of touch. So I thought that was a little bit of synchronicity.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #26
Side note: the video game was pretty awesome too. If you need more warriors in your life there is a lot more storyline in there
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump