The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Q7, I'm in my studio. Can you describe your configuration? PC / The River connection
Number of layers
Source of the layers
And how do you manage under cubase:
A midi track [email protected] , local off , chanel etc ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
QUESTION for The River owners- I am having trouble using The River with Cubase due to not being able to find a MIDI Local Off on The River. The Baloran folks are probably going home for the evening in France, so I though I'd ask here in hopes of a quicker response to my issue. The only reason I was able to use Cubase with The River on my previous song the other day was because I used my main studio controller keyboard to input notes. Now that I am wanting to use The River to input notes, I am getting a MIDI echo (double notes) which is freaking The River out also. I tried turning off MIDI Thru in Cubase, but that didn't solve the issue. I also tried both USB MIDI and standard MIDI cable with the same exact results. Any ideas? I'm guessing it's something simple that I have overlooked. Thanks!
As Laurent told I have same problem with Logic Pro X. I found some kind of Logic advice, but I have not fully understood it and I don't know if it will work. And stop the midi echo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Okay

On Repear no problem. Echo, source, destination ...

On Cubase Artist 6, if you select [email protected] for input and [email protected] for output, when record "is armed", you have the loop. One key = two channels...

If record is "not armed", all works fine.

If output is set on "none", all works fine .... for record

@+
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Please, on Cubase, File > Preferences > MIDI , set to OFF "MIDI Thru Active"
All works fine now... Notes, controls (VCF etc...)

Please verifi that on the River, Shift + System, Dump To USB is Yes
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ergonomically, I do not see how to better manage this point.
When a software sends me data on a USB socket, I can not know if it's an echo of what I just sent. If I put an option "UBS IN Off / On", it will be necessary to activate it and to deactivate it each time one makes a play of the sequence on the DAW. It seems impossible to me ....
By default Reaper (nice economical DAW) is not midi thru what seems to me excellent, Cabase is midi thru during the recording, it's good for a master keyboard that drives a VST or an expander, but not for an instrument that does both as The River ...

Johannes , on Logic, have you this option "Midi Thru" ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In both Pro Tools and Ableton Live, the two main DAWs I use, it's easy to deactivate MIDI Thru while recording. In Pro Tools, I've setup a keyboard shortcut (F13) to make it even easier.

When Quantum first mentioned this problem, I thought maybe he had both USB and MIDI connected at the same time, which I can imagine would create a kind of echo in that everything would get recorded twice if the DAW is set to accept MIDI information from all sources. I've had this trouble before with my Novation ReMOTE controller, when both USB and MIDI cables are attached and sending information to the computer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a question regarding the CV IN (Expression pedal/. Which parameters can this control? In the manual it refers to the VCF but in the VCF section of the manual no Pedal in parameters can be set? It would be cool to assign CV in to pitch for all voices, then you could use the "hidden" CV-LFO to route right back to CV in for global vibrato for example, CS-80 style on all layers

Last edited by Firechild; 4 weeks ago at 07:41 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
I have a question regarding the CV IN (Expression pedal/. Which parameters can this control? In the manual it refers to the VCF but in the VCF section of the manual no Pedal in parameters can be set? It would be cool to assign CV in to pitch for all voices, then you could use the "hidden" CV-LFO to route right back to CV in for global vibrato for example, CS-80 style on all layers
Yes, DLFO can be modulated by Wheel, Velocity, Aftertouch and Pedal In (CV In)
and DLFO can modulate VCF, VCOs etc....

Shift + Wheel for ajust 'Pedal In' modulation.

For test, DLFO->Wheel = 0, DLFO->Aftertouch = 0, DLFO->Velocity = 0, DLFO->Pedal In = 127, DLFO->waveform = the first (a wheel...) , and Knobs DLFO for VCOs VCF etc...
Whith other Waveforms (SINUS etc...) Pedal In adjust the AMplitude and/or the Rate of the DLFO.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloran View Post

For test, DLFO->Wheel = 0, DLFO->Aftertouch = 0, DLFO->Velocity = 0, DLFO->Pedal In = 127, DLFO->waveform = the first (a wheel...) , and Knobs DLFO for VCOs VCF etc...
Whith other Waveforms (SINUS etc...) Pedal In adjust the AMplitude and/or the Rate of the DLFO.

So, am I reading the manual correctly and these would be the maximum LFO speeds in Hz?

DLFO: 400Hz (p. 33)

LFO: 360Hz (p. 41)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

So, am I reading the manual correctly and these would be the maximum LFO speeds in Hz?

DLFO: 400Hz (p. 33)

LFO: 360Hz (p. 41)
No 400 and 360 is the "resolution" of this commands

LFO is 140 Hz
DLFO is 50 Hz (approximately)

No real audio capability
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No 400 and 360 is the "resolution" of this commands

LFO is 140 Hz
DLFO is 50 Hz (approximately)

No real audio capability
Understood! Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes I just found the "mod waveform"!
It seems that the DLFO is not dealing with negative voltage though, so when modulating pitch internally with DLFO you will raise the core pitch of the note as well which hurts my ears When sending negativ and positive voltage to CV in and using the mod waveform of the DLFO only the positive voltage will be used.
The analog LFO is using both negative and positive voltage though
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ergonomically, I do not see how to better manage this point.
When a software sends me data on a USB socket, I can not know if it's an echo of what I just sent. If I put an option "UBS IN Off / On", it will be necessary to activate it and to deactivate it each time one makes a play of the sequence on the DAW. It seems impossible to me ....
I think some synths handle this with a 'local control off' option.

This option does not disable midi in. Instead, when 'local control' is off, notes, cc's etc from the synth keyboard, knobs etc are no longer routed straight to the actual synth. They are sent to midi out, and the synth only responds to them coming from midi in.

I believe the sense of this is that people can set their DAW to always route midi received from the synth back to the synth, at all times. Then they leave 'local control' off all the time they are using it with a DAW.
Old 4 weeks ago
roc
Lives for gear

To much talking and not enough Demos in this thread .

Can someone please demo some nice warm wobbly modulating pad sounds ?
Minor/major 7ths and 9ths would be cool .
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
QUESTION for The River owners- I am having trouble using The River with Cubase due to not being able to find a MIDI Local Off on The River. The Baloran folks are probably going home for the evening in France, so I though I'd ask here in hopes of a quicker response to my issue. The only reason I was able to use Cubase with The River on my previous song the other day was because I used my main studio controller keyboard to input notes. Now that I am wanting to use The River to input notes, I am getting a MIDI echo (double notes) which is freaking The River out also. I tried turning off MIDI Thru in Cubase, but that didn't solve the issue. I also tried both USB MIDI and standard MIDI cable with the same exact results. Any ideas? I'm guessing it's something simple that I have overlooked. Thanks!
This is probably too simple an answer and I am probably missing something, so don't hate me , but... in Cubase, all you have to do is make sure that monitoring is OFF for the MIDI track while you are recording (the little speaker icon on the track controls), turn it back on for play back.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Mine arrived today, yay! Unfortunately I won't have the stand that it needs to live on for another 10 days or so, so here's some relatively unflattering photos of it on my floor after unboxing.
Attached Thumbnails
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-img_1716.jpg   Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-img_1717.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazRemark View Post
Mine arrived today, yay! Unfortunately I won't have the stand that it needs to live on for another 10 days or so, so here's some relatively unflattering photos of it on my floor after unboxing.
Hooray! Say, that looks very nice with the dark ends!

Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-img_1716.jpg

Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-img_1717.jpg
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
Hooray! Say, that looks very nice with the dark ends!
It does indeed! I was thinking about maybe that combination myself. Nice to see how it looks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Congratulations! It looks beautiful!

I have the stand... but no River.

Only a photoshop mockup.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
I think some synths handle this with a 'local control off' option.
This option does not disable midi in. Instead, when 'local control' is off, notes, cc's etc from the synth keyboard, knobs etc are no longer routed straight to the actual synth. They are sent to midi out, and the synth only responds to them coming from midi in.

Yes, that's right and that leads me to think about a solution, thank you. With The River's architecture, it's not as simple as expected, but the reflection is running
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Johannes , on Logic, have you this option "Midi Thru" ?
It seems that ableton, protools and cubase have made it easy;" to disable Midi thru.
But I think I will resolve it in Logic pro. (did not yet succes, something small that I have not noticed)

EDIT
I took away the text I took from the logic pro help forum, because I don't know is it permitted to quote text from other forums.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes w1 View Post
It seems that ableton, protools and cubase have made it easy;" to disable Midi thru.
But I think I will resolve it in Logic pro. (did not yet succes, something small that I have not noticed)

EDIT
I took away the text I took from the logic pro help forum, because I don't know is it permitted to quote text from other forums.
Johannes, can you send that text to me in a PM? I use Logic and would like to have that info. Thank you, Wesley
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Wesley

PM sent.

There seems to be 3 different way to disable Midi thru in Logic Pro.

It's easier to read the original guide from there. volovicg is the man who seems to knows these things. It might be better to read only his post. BTW volovicg have also yt videos about way 2 and 3.

A return to Logic - Page 2 - Logic Pro Help

I tried the first one but no success yet. Let me know in The River thread if you have success.

Johannes
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As the DLFO is using positive voltage only, you need to compensate the Master TUNE if you want to add DLFO vibrato to pitch and keep A=440.

Here is the compensation table when modulating pitch (OSC1 and OSC2) with DLFO to get symmetric pitch around the initial pitch.
DLFO value 2 Master Tune -1
DLFO 3 Master Tune -2
DLFO 4 Master Tune -3
DLFO 5 Master Tune -4
DLFO 6 Master Tune -5
DLFO 7 Master Tune -6
DFLFO ≥ 8 Master Tune = -(DFLO - 2)

DLFO values equal and bigger than 8, compensate Master Tune with -(DLFO value minus 2).
Exampel: DFLO 22 will be Master Tune -20
This compensation works for Triangle, Sinus and Square to keep the basic note pitch centered and vibrating around (over and under) the initial pitch.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

So I'm thinking of two improvements:
- local off
- Auto offset for Sine Wave and Triangle in DLFO;

PS: I'll be at SuperBooth as an exhibitor this year
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
- local off

Nice, see you there!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
- local off

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lack of keyboard stand didn’t stop this dude

We are waiting for your “floor meditation” River demo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

No stand?

Put that thing on the bed or floor or kitchen table and get to it...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Nice, see you there!
I hope that someone thinks to take lots of pictures and maybe even some video of you and Laurent together (maybe some footage of you playing the River with Laurent at your side. Oh, if I could attend; that would be something I would love to see; the analog king with the analog wizard!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search