The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
There are plenty of little MIDI controller keyboards around. The actual synth is very comparable. They're both offering vintage Moog sound. If it's not about the sound, then all the monos are in competition. For people who want the Moog sound, these two are in direct competition.

< moderator edit - can we please discuss the Moog Synths in the Moog thread? thanks! >
How did you work that out?

Its not just sound. And that's the whole point, no one is spending an extra £600 just for 32 keys, so to claim they are in direct competition solely on a similar sound is ridiculous, they offer a particular ballpark sound in different packages, the different package is what makes them not competitive products. Plus the sound is different.

< moderator edit - can we please discuss the Moog Synths in the Moog thread? thanks! >

Last edited by Reptil; 3rd November 2018 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: -
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote14 View Post
@ maisonvague : I can’t make a demo, because I am 500km away from the River.

So you will need to wait my way back home.

I can all the same give you some indications about tuning process and reliability.
#coyote14 excellent post shortened here for space. See above for detailed list of tuning process

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Thank you, coyote14. This is precisely the sort of candid information I was hoping to receive.

The demo can wait!

Of course, I'm not expecting a DX-7.

One of my favorite synths is the Jupiter-4. It is notoriously difficult to keep in tune. But this contributes to its organic, almost acoustic properties--properties which I also hear in The River.

So I'm not terribly concerned. More curious, really. Thanks again!
Proof that no One synthesizer will do it all! Let the River flow as the River flows! The One will be nice for those interested in alternative microtonal tunings — including me. Everyone on this thread that have ordered and those waiting to get on the next list did so based on the River sound.

I’m not implying that improvements to tuning process shouldn’t be made better if possible just that different synthesizers have different strengths. There is some mojo in there that folks including myself seem to love.

Thanks for letting this humble One owner participate in your thread. Maybe by the 4th round I’ll be ready to make another major purchase. It may require moving into a bigger house as I’m running out of room in my very small studio! And no the One is not leaving to make room .

Have a great weekend!
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab View Post
Thanks for letting this humble One owner participate in your thread.
Happy to have you with us!

Thanks for putting up with me in yours.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Happy to have you with us!

Thanks for putting up with me in yours.
I don’t claim ownership of that thread or the previous two!

Lots of drama there. That is one of the things I like about this thread and hope it stays polite and reasoned. There are some great people over there and a lot to be learned. Unfortunately there is a lot of noise that must be ignored!

Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
anyways, what would be a worthy rival to the river is the polysynth moog should have made but didn't. cem oscillators, ladder filter (plus the new ssm if you like), throw in a (good) svf if you want, hardware envelopes, or at least not bad software envelopes, saturation at about 50% mix, simultaneous waveshapes. simple, uncompromising, and to the point. a memorymoog for now, if you like. it would have clocked in around $5k, less with scale, and been a classic for years to come.
You just described exactly the synth I was expecting Moog to release.

Quote:
the river is a stunning instrument. it sets a very, very high bar. but i think it does so because there is a real sense of history and genuine appreciation for the quality, not just the quantity, of synthesis there, too--warmth, power, presence, emotiveness, and so on.
Yes. Quality of synthesis vs quantity. This is something I appreciate very much. Earlier I mentioned the Jupiter-4 (well, actually I mention it a lot--sorry! It's just such a great sounding instrument for me). In terms of synthesis it's of course very basic.

By today's standards, the specs are unimpressive--especially for those used to software instruments with a zillion oscillators, ENVs, LFOs, mod matrices, etc. On paper, it can be difficult to appreciate the Jupiter-4.

But when you hear it (assuming it's the sort of tone you like) its value becomes more apparent. It's primary function becomes clearer: to make music. Not to synthesize, but to make music.

Its range of sounds is limited--but the quality of those sounds is superb. It is almost impossible to get a "bad" sound out of the Jupiter-4.

The River strikes me as this kind of instrument: one that prioritizes musicality over synthesis. The "pain" of this compromise, though, is hardly excruciating because The River already seems able to go places many of the classics could not. In other words, I don't believe it's as limited in terms of synthesis as one might think.

And then, of course, this isn't even considering its function as a controller, which indeed does enter into the realm of "limitless".
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Are the envelopes of the River digital or analog?
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Are the envelopes of the River digital or analog?
Analog

According to Audiofanzine:

"...a dedicated analog ADSR envelope with inverter."

Exclusive review of the Baloran The River French analog synth followed by its designer's interview - Audiofanzine
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Nut

Don’t forget that 1 River Voice is a clone of Moog Source. If Moog Source envelopes are analog, then River’s envelopes are. It’s simple as that.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

True Romance !

The River (Black Beauty) is in my future, so why wait to join the club?

I put in my request to be notified and hope to be on the 3rd production run list.

Bonjour Baloran!
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab View Post
I don’t claim ownership of that thread or the previous two!

Lots of drama there. That is one of the things I like about this thread and hope it stays polite and reasoned. There are some great people over there and a lot to be learned. Unfortunately there is a lot of noise that must be ignored!

Couldn’t agree more. Love it here. My one is on the way but hope to be in batch three too and I get the feeling of peace of sitting by a river every time I come and visit this thread vs. the craziness of the other.
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Nut

For the record: Baloran SAS is the name of the company, Laurent Lecatelier is the name of the designer of the Baloran The River. The River is 8 times a Moog The Source, so the source has become a river.
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thank you, coyote14. This is precisely the sort of candid information I was hoping to receive.

The demo can wait!

Of course, I'm not expecting a DX-7.

One of my favorite synths is the Jupiter-4. It is notoriously difficult to keep in tune. But this contributes to its organic, almost acoustic properties--properties which I also hear in The River.

So I'm not terribly concerned. More curious, really. Thanks again!
Hi maisonvague, another of your youtube followers here
I find mine relatively stable, indeed an autotune is necessary sometimes. I am renovating my studio and I have not touched the River for almost 3 weeks, this weekend I turned it on and let it heat for about 15 minutes without autotune and it remained stable during the three hours I used it.
For use in the studio it is not at all disturbing, live is perhaps a little more delicate but as said coyote14, the reward is this incredibly alive and organic sound.

Here is the first public presentation of The River at Synthfest2017 in France, with the last prototype before the first batch, around 4 minutes, The River get out of tune and we can heard the autotune at 5:20 (funny to have made this choice).
During the autotune procedure Laurent explains that The River heats a lot with eight "violent" analog voices at 4Amp per rail and chose not to install a fan but rather a thick frame sheet and a passive heat sink on the principle of an oven and thus keep an accurate control at 42 ° C.
After that in the video The River re-deploys its sound power.
Too bad the sound is not good quality.

Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
The River (Black Beauty) is in my future, so why wait to join the club?

I put in my request to be notified and hope to be on the 3rd production run list.

Bonjour Baloran!
Nice choice - I can't wait for my batch 2 (White Wizard) to be built !
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

the River, as a real discrete VCO based synth, is clearly not the most accurate synth in tuning I owned. Its tuning is not as acurate as my OB6, nor my jupiter 8. It is more like my MKS80 rev 4: its tuning is good just after completed the tuning routine, but need to be retuned after 1 or 2 hours, but not systematically.
Is it crazy that this makes me want it even more?
Everything is so sterile these days.
Owning this will make me really happy. I just know it.
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
No, it's not crazy. Unless a number of us are crazy, which is possible. I read that description, and -like you- I thought, wow, this is the one for me. I listen to a lot of historically-informed performances of Baroque music. They used different temperaments in those times, and not all the instruments handled intervals in the same way. The natural trumpet and horn are off on certain notes and intervals, and the strings go out of tune more frequently than their modern counterparts. So all this about tuning in The River is right up my alley. I'm not put off at all. On the contrary, I'm all the more interested (if that were possible).
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
We may have to accept that this version of the company Moog is not the one most of us expect.
So true.

Quote:
Exactly this. I think too many now-a-days people are too scared by analog instability or scare stories of tuning issues, which has also led to certain companies overthinking voicing and tuning to the point of "why bother?" with analog almost.

Any good old VCO mono or poly could stay in tune more often than not, some take 20 seconds to warm up, others can take 20 minutes, not a big deal for such tone. Some stay in tune for the rest of the day/until turned off, others need a poke every few hours. NOT a big deal for such tone.

I hope moog, dsi and even Behringer are learning from this whole One vs The River saga about what truly connects with musicians in an analog synth, especially analog synths with high prices.
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheck View Post
Hi maisonvague, another of your youtube followers here
Thank you. I'm honored.

Quote:
Here is the first public presentation of The River at Synthfest2017 in France, with the last prototype before the first batch, around 4 minutes, The River get out of tune and we can heard the autotune at 5:20 (funny to have made this choice).
I appreciate your pointing this out, tomheck. This is exactly what I was wanting to hear--namely the tuning procedure and its immediate aftermath.

It sounds great. Perfectly acceptable tuning.

The fact that he plays Handel afterwards to test the tuning is, for me, remarkably coincidental.

I play Handel's music almost daily.

Quote:
Not at all. I felt exactly the same while watching and listening to that rather unusual tuning procedure.

Last edited by maisonvague; 3rd November 2018 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheck View Post
See now THAT is how a synth should be reviewed and then played/delivered, concise and detailed info, not a bloody c1-c7 on every wave and a couple of filter whooshes.

Theo is fantastic, always super audio demos.

The River is a masterpiece and the tone boss for sure but IMO shouldn't be compared to the other great poly being released, they are both equally unique and brilliant in their own ways.
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloran View Post
Before thank you all for your words very often more than encouraging.

I readily admit that demand exceeds my means of production. I work in recent days to find partners to outsource a number of time-consuming tasks.
The work is progressing, which allows me to evoke with some certainty lot 3 even before the deliveries of lot 2 have begun. I imagine this lot 3 finished before the end of 2019 with reservation running spring 2019 and may be a larger number of instrument.
Yes, today I do not always answer in the hours that follow the many requests and I hope that you will excuse me.

Super news !

You deserve all the luck sir
Attached Thumbnails
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-image.jpg  
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Nut

Laurent Lecatelier, aka Baloran, demonstrating the River this week-end at the SoundMit in Torino, Italy:

Facebook
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Laurent Lecatelier, aka Baloran, demonstrating the River this week-end at the SoundMit in Torino, Italy:

Facebook
So, I clicked and Facebook wanted all my synthesizers and in return they'd promised me never to forget me for my kindness.

Please be kind enough to post some pics/videos here for the people who don't use fb.
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please be kind enough to post some pics/videos here for the people who don't use fb.
Why not just sign up? It's great! You get to share your life with your family and friends. And it's all free. Free!

Such selfless generosity. Facebook cares. About me.

Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-45263868_10213008997321637_4886079414405693440_n.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-45263868_10213008997321637_4886079414405693440_n.jpg  
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks Maisonvague. I don’t know how to post pictures on gearslutz frommy smartphone...I am clever with synths only and ugly with everything else.
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Maisonvague. I don’t know how to post pictures on gearslutz frommy smartphone...I am clever with synths only and ugly with everything else.

I don't think I could do it either on my phone. Desktop only.
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

That empty space on top of the River is so tempting and enticing... it's like it's begging to be filled with 5U modules.
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That empty space on top of the River is so tempting and enticing...
Yes! It is! Can't wait to try out different combinations of gear there.

The list is long:

Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
2x 9U cases of eurorack (that's 1.5 Derps of modular!)
Arturia Keystep
Micromac-D
RE-201 Space Echo
Doepfer R2M ribbon controller
Doepfer DarkTime step sequencer
Moogerfoogers
TR-606
MFB-522
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:

We are the River People. We are friendly. And welcoming of others.

Best thing I've ever read, funny as hell too.
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

We need a boat immediately.

Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Nice choice - I can't wait for my batch 2 (White Wizard) to be built !
Oooo, very cool! (Merlin, Gandalf, Soromon, other?) Way to make the buy call early, I wish I paid some more attention when these batch 2 synths were still available. Can’t wait to hear more of this synth. I’m soaking up its sonics like a thirsty sponge.
📝 Reply