The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Yes, and your loyal customers are eager to learn more about this new project.

Will there be any more sneak previews prior to SynthFest?

In your last video, I was particularly excited to hear a multi-mode filter.

As much as I love my new Riverheim FVS, it’s a pain to patch. I would love to own a Baloran instrument with a multi-mode filter.

As for the new shimmer chip and Beatstep/iPad holders (in River colors ), no problem with the delay.

But please don't forget about them. We still want them.
Laurent avec ta permission

Please Laurent, can you comment on the images and demos, from what I understood, this voicecard can work in mono, dual or poly 2 voices with two filters per half voice? and you can add them to increase the polyphony?

From Laurent;

" The ... , the upcoming synthesizer has no design ancestry from" The River ", two instruments that are much more" complementary "than" competitive ".
The ... will have a choice of options, multiple configurations. There is the possibility of only having one software panel (PC / Mac) to limit the number of cards, etc.
In the full version it will indeed be quite expensive, 84 potentiometers, 15 encoders, 240 two colored LEDs adjustable in intensity / brightness, 133 contacts (The River: 37 contacts, 37 LEDs, 13 encoders, 39 potentiometers) and all of it polyphonic ...."

https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...bfGu07njxUP-CE
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...AwaUGX77UDI-F8
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...8kIkisdiuouF08
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...pmVczXraxZkuIg
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...fu1UyEfEVGN1kg
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...LTWMR3r-CXztqc
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheck View Post
" The ... , the upcoming synthesizer has no design ancestry from" The River ", two instruments that are much more" complementary "than" competitive ".
Perfect! Exactly what I was hoping!

Thanks for posting this info.

Those audio clips sound bloody fantastic.

2021 is going to be a great year.
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is the sound I'm looking for... what I'm currently using my modular system to get from The River... with great effort.
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Laurent avec ta permission

Please Laurent, can you comment on the images and demos, from what I understood, this voicecard can work in mono, dual or poly 2 voices with two filters per half voice? and you can add them to increase the polyphony?

From Laurent;

The ... will have a choice of options, multiple configurations. There is the possibility of only having one software panel (PC / Mac) to limit the number of cards, etc.
In the full version it will indeed be quite expensive, 84 potentiometers, 15 encoders, 240 two colored LEDs adjustable in intensity / brightness, 133 contacts (The River: 37 contacts, 37 LEDs, 13 encoders, 39 potentiometers) and all of it polyphonic ...."

https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...bfGu07njxUP-CE
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...AwaUGX77UDI-F8
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...8kIkisdiuouF08
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...pmVczXraxZkuIg
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...fu1UyEfEVGN1kg
https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...LTWMR3r-CXztqc
Up for sale: one very nice 2nd owner “river”. With road case. PM me for details. Only selling to fund this new Baloran synth.
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
Up for sale: one very nice 2nd owner “river”. With road case. PM me for details. Only selling to fund this new Baloran synth.
Your gonna sell your River and wait a year for the new synth?
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Not me. No way. I would sell other instruments before selling The River.

As Laurent said, it’s designed to be complimentary, not competitive. Based on what I’m hearing so far, I believe him.

As things stand, there’s room in the budget for one big ticket item in 2021. My plan was to get a Moog One.

But that may change once I know more about this new Baloran instrument.

This much is certain: all new synth purchases are currently on hold until further notice.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was a little hasty, wasn’t I? The audio examples of the new synth sound pretty amazing.
Lives for gear
Quote:
IMO the River sounds much better, I'm not really excited by the demos above, maybe I just don't like 12dB-SVF-filters. And I think I miss some crunch on the digital side, like the 002 has.
But that's my preference
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTBatmaN View Post
IMO the River sounds much better, I'm not really excited by the demos above, maybe I just don't like 12dB-SVF-filters. And I think I miss some crunch on the digital side, like the 002 has.
But that's my preference
It definitely sounds different, though, which is what interests me. I also love SVFs and use them often with my River, mostly monophonically or paraphonically.

Polyphony with The River is still possible, but time-consuming to set up and requires a lot of external gear.

It's possible to do some pretty dramatic transformations using MPE mode, the individual voice outputs and a collection of filter, vca and envelope modules.

Of course, the core sound of The River is already so good, it's not really necessary. But still, it's nice to have different flavors in the spice cabinet. The two things I miss most on The River are a 2-pole SVF and VCO cross-modulation. These would be the two primary things I would want from Baloran's new instrument.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Maniac

Guys come on he should prob sell it to me at a good price to fund the new one
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was a little hasty, wasn’t I? The audio examples of the new synth sound pretty amazing.
Yes to both. I think in the U.S. we will have long enough before release to save up for the new one. I hope he doesn't stop making the River but I don't know how he can do both. Maybe Laurent (or @ tomheck ) can comment here as to the plans for future runs (or not) of The River.
Lives for gear

Sell your river at your own risk. You WIlL regret it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sell your river at your own risk. You WIlL regret it.
You’re right.
Gear Head

Quote:
Of course, the core sound of The River is already so good,
I just wanted to quote this little thruth. Even if all I do with the River during one day, is to strike a couple of chords with a stock sound, say "CS Horn", I feel the stress level sink and the relaxation take over my body.

Last edited by enulun; 26th November 2020 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: typo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enulun View Post
Even if all I do with the River during one day, is to strike a couple on chords with a stock sound, say "CS Horn", I feel the stress level sink and the relaxation take over my body.
I think what astonishes me most about The River is how easily it facilitates the expression of a wide range of emotions.

It’s like whatever mood I’m in that day, The River can take me where I need to go.
Attached Files

Happy River.mp3 (7.11 MB, 1839 views)

Sad River.mp3 (8.58 MB, 1924 views)

Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enulun View Post
I just wanted to quote this little thruth. Even if all I do with the River during one day, is to strike a couple of chords with a stock sound, say "CS Horn", I feel the stress level sink and the relaxation take over my body.
I just wanted to quote this little truth... same for me.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think what astonishes me most about The River is how easily it facilitates the expression of a wide range of emotions.

It’s like whatever mood I’m in that day, The River can take me where I need to go.
Just beautiful, man. That second one is a weeper.
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I love it, it's superb, magnificent. The sounds are sumptuous, expressive, the compositions are superb. Bravo !!!
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Laurent - hope you are well. The new synth sounds very interesting. If I may ask, are you still planning to do a 5th Lot of the River please?

Many thanks!
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

It reminds me of the adventure of The River, which I had the pleasure of following from the beginning, when it wasn't even planned to commercialize it, created by translating into hardware the ideas of a guy all alone in his workshop, passionate about music, sound, with knowledge and talent, the magic recipe. Just the sound of a voice that made you guess the monster that the polyphonic version will be.

Here are two other examples of the new voice card:

- "the external input is an input which is added to the VCOs. It can therefore be subjected to FM, RING and participate in other things ...
No echo in this basic example with an LP connected directly to the input. It is just the sequencing of the filter envelope added to a positive constant in the VCAs that allows this echo to be made. I also mess around with the filters a bit. "

https://www.baloran.com/Divers/Test_...skBKFOIDm5Vtmw

- "There a little Ring of FM. The external signal can be modulated from a digital oscillator or one of the modulators in the Ring."

Lives for gear

Quote:
It reminds me of the adventure of The River, which I had the pleasure of following from the beginning, when it wasn't even planned to commercialize it, created by translating into hardware the ideas of a guy all alone in his workshop, passionate about music, sound, with knowledge and talent, the magic recipe. Just the sound of a voice that made you guess the monster that the polyphonic version will be.

Here are two other examples of the new voice card:

- "the external input is an input which is added to the VCOs. It can therefore be subjected to FM, RING and participate in other things ...
No echo in this basic example with an LP connected directly to the input. It is just the sequencing of the filter envelope added to a positive constant in the VCAs that allows this echo to be made. I also mess around with the filters a bit. "

- "There a little Ring of FM. The external signal can be modulated from a digital oscillator or one of the modulators in the Ring."

Wow, Laurent is going to have another hit on his hands. He truly is a modern great musical mind in the vein of a Bob Moog or Tom Oberheim.

Last edited by Mr Knoch; 4th December 2020 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
Wow, Laurent is going to have another hit on his hands. He truly is a modern great musical mind in the vein on a Bob Moog or Tom Oberheim.
Oof
Old 3rd December 2020
Lives for gear

Presenting Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythmics featuring The Baloran The River synthesizer. This piece was extra challenging for an 80's pop song due to the string arrangement that I had to recreate, but thankfully using Spitfire Audio's Chamber Strings worked out well. Finally the vocals were performed by my awesome wife, Ann Marie, who did a great job in my opinion. I hope that you all enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAH...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-thumb.jpg  
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Presenting Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythmics featuring The Baloran The River synthesizer. This piece was extra challenging for an 80's pop song due to the string arrangement that I had to recreate, but thankfully using Spitfire Audio's Chamber Strings worked out well. Finally the vocals were performed by my awesome wife, Ann Marie, who did a great job in my opinion. I hope that you all enjoy it.

Very nice, Sean, very nice.
Old 4th December 2020
Gear Addict

Well I guess it’ll be in the vicinity of 10k if not more for the « complete » version
Lives for gear

Quote:

That sux. You haven’t made the video available in my country. I’d love to see this.
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sux. You haven’t made the video available in my country. I’d love to see this.
I'm so sorry. Evidently the YT algorithm thinks that the version (I have a vocal and instrumental on the same video) thinks that it is the original song.....which I guess I can look at as a compliment since I made is as close as possible to the original. Even my wife's vocal range is close. As soon as I get the mix-up straightened out with the license holder I will let you know when it is available. Now I wish I had put out 2 separate videos. Maybe I will put the instrumental up by itself tomorrow.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very nice, Sean, very nice.
Thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
I'm so sorry. Evidently the YT algorithm thinks that the version (I have a vocal and instrumental on the same video) thinks that it is the original song.....which I guess I can look at as a compliment since I made is as close as possible to the original. Even my wife's vocal range is close. As soon as I get the mix-up straightened out with the license holder I will let you know when it is available. Now I wish I had put out 2 separate videos. Maybe I will put the instrumental up by itself tomorrow.
I got to see it when he first posted it and I still have it pulled up in a tab on my browser. I'm listening to it right now, in fact. I won't close that tab. It's really great! Sean, maybe you could post it on soundcloud or something for the fellahs here.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got to see it when he first posted it and I still have it pulled up in a tab on my browser. I'm listening to it right now, in fact. I won't close that tab. It's really great! Sean, maybe you could post it on soundcloud or something for the fellahs here.
Thanks again! I will plan on doing that tomorrow. Hey Mr Knoch, next year the Dockery family will be moving to Northern West Virginia....just right by the Pennsylvania border, probably Morgantown or close by. We'll have to hook up eventually and synth-out for an afternoon since I will only be about 6 hours from you. My wife's mother lives in Rhode Island and is having a lot of irreversible health issues, so I gave in to her and made a 10 year commitment to leave my beloved Western USA in order to move closer to her for easier and frequent travel there. Northern WV was the closest I was going to move to New England, as I love having plenty of synth money and New England is just ungodly expensive. Luckily Boise's real estate market is going through the roof (thank you great California exodus bringing so many people to Boise) and we will be nearly doubling what we paid for our home when we sell in the spring....just less than 5 years since we bought the home. Insane! Anyway, we will be able to get a killer home in northern VW from what we'll make....and plenty of money left over for an RV and MORE SYNTHS!!! Excellent!

Last edited by Quantum7; 4th December 2020 at 05:04 AM..
📝 Reply